Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

01 Trans-Am WS6 vs. Eclipse GS-T with 16G turbo and supporting mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Trans-Am WS6 vs. Eclipse GS-T with 16G turbo and supporting mods

Well there is this guy pretty local to me, I see him around alot but never ran into him on the road. He has a black 97-99 Eclipse GS-T. He has a 16G turbo, GIANT FMIC, supporting mods, exhaust, etc. Anyway going to school the other day, I look in my rear view and what do I see? I black Eclipse with a huge FMIC on it, going onto the highway I drop it into 2nd and wait for him to get next to me, instead he floors it past me. I catch up to him and we both slow to about 55. I drop it into 2nd gear, and when I do that he takes off. I catch him pretty much right away and pull on him from their, putting maybe 2-3 cars on him before shutting down at around 120. We go again, he jumps me again bad this time before I even had a chance to downshift...but it doesn't matter, I catch him easily and pass him putting on the same amount of lengths. His car is probably a high 13 sec car. Fun race, when he boosted it past me at first it sounded SICK.

Just thought I would share, my mods are in the sig.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice ricer kill. halarious how he started with the old ricer fly by.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol yes the famous ricer fly by.....I love it!!!
Old 10-29-2008, 03:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

those little dsm cars should not be taken so lightly. ALL have the potential to be VERY fast for very little money, and if properly taken care of will not break. only the 7 bolt motors were notorious for their crank walk, but the older 1g cars were pretty damn good. especially if you get a 4 wheel drive one with the right work done. watch out.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

16G is good for 370hp+ on the 4G63. SHould be a lot faster then high 13's. Probably had some tuning issues
Old 10-29-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DevilDougWS6
those little dsm cars should not be taken so lightly. ALL have the potential to be VERY fast for very little money, and if properly taken care of will not break. only the 7 bolt motors were notorious for their crank walk, but the older 1g cars were pretty damn good. especially if you get a 4 wheel drive one with the right work done. watch out.
hahahaha, "properly taken care of will not break". um it doesnt matter how good or well taken care of that car is its gonna break....I will agree though there is some quick ones for a few weeks...
Old 10-29-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by johnLs1camaro
hahahaha, "properly taken care of will not break". um it doesnt matter how good or well taken care of that car is its gonna break....I will agree though there is some quick ones for a few weeks...
Honestly I agree completely. I've owned 2 DSMs in my life(96 GST, 90 TSi AWD). They'll break down, just a matter of when.

16G is good for 370hp+ on the 4G63. SHould be a lot faster then high 13's. Probably had some tuning issues
You will never ever see someone dyno 370+ with a 16g.

Every once in a blue moon you see a 16g AWD car running like low 12s with a fairly low trap but that's once in a blue moon. Regardless of what they want you to think 99% of 16G cars are solid 13 second "monsters."
Old 10-29-2008, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Nice kill OP. I've never cared much for DSMs, only because of their reliability issues. They can definitely make for a fast car. A local guy here in Louisville just went 5.77 @ 125 in the 1/8th in a 1G AWD Talon

http://www.502streetscene.net/forum/...d.php?t=128249
Old 10-29-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Regular

Nice kill...I ran into a boosted awd eclipse and got my *** busted.....
Old 10-29-2008, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sammyboy
Nice kill...I ran into a boosted awd eclipse and got my *** busted.....
No ****? What H/C combo are you running? That little eclipse must have been a beast.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks guys, the car was running fine, and I haven't heard of him having any tuning issues. I love 2G Turbo Eclipses, only reason I don't have one of them or a VR4 is their reliability issues. I own a 1995 3000GT N/A and it was always breaking. Now its sitting at my house being parted out...
Old 10-29-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AngryJ
Nice kill OP. I've never cared much for DSMs, only because of their reliability issues. They can definitely make for a fast car. A local guy here in Louisville just went 5.77 @ 125 in the 1/8th in a 1G AWD Talon

http://www.502streetscene.net/forum/...d.php?t=128249
who is that cdub??
Old 10-30-2008, 07:31 AM
On The Tree

who is that cdub??
They're the **** talking street racers of Louisville. The thing is, they can pretty much back up all the **** they talk with one of their turbo bikes or awd DSM's. I don't think this one in the video is even their fastest.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

lol yes the famous ricer fly by.....I love it!!!
The ricer flyby is funnier whern they tell you they get 36mpg in a "fast" car
Old 10-30-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AngryJ
They're the **** talking street racers of Louisville. The thing is, they can pretty much back up all the **** they talk with one of their turbo bikes or awd DSM's. I don't think this one in the video is even their fastest.
ok... yeah im from the louisville area, actually new albany,In. and i know who your talkin about.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Banned

He should have hung better, my 97 gs-t had the same mods but was tuned with dsmlink and it didnt get beat too often by bolt-on ls1s. I made 319whp but your car is strong at 360whp, maybe his car was running good. Those cars are garbage though, everything that can break will break with any sort of abuse and fixing them aint fun. Can anybody say timing belt snap???
Old 10-30-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly, DSM's are built like complete ****. Its not a matter of "if" it will break, just a matter of how soon. Modding a DSM is basically the equivelent of throwing money down a storm drain. I don't understand the desire to try and make a piece of **** fast.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by capn smokey
He should have hung better, my 97 gs-t had the same mods but was tuned with dsmlink and it didnt get beat too often by bolt-on ls1s. I made 319whp but your car is strong at 360whp, maybe his car was running good. Those cars are garbage though, everything that can break will break with any sort of abuse and fixing them aint fun. Can anybody say timing belt snap???
Can you say crankwalk on the 3rd day of having it running(96 GST) after wasting dinero on a timing belt/new clutch/water pump and other random ****? Because I can go back 3 years in time and tell you about that lol. ******* pieces of ****. Sits in a yard and I'll explain what happens later on.

Then earlier this year got a ******* steal on a 90 TSi AWD. It was pretty much abandoned picked it up for $200. Got it running and it felt pretty damn solid, 30 miles down the road it starts to overheat. Somehow it burned or leaked(don't think it was a leak) an entire radiator full of coolant in 30 miles. Throw water in it, bam blue smoke head gasket is done.

Decide to fix it, sits for a while then some kind of Noahs Ark **** hits the yard where I have it and it's completely flooded. Throw it in the junkyard. Now the GST mentioned earlier was also flooded as I looked for a 6 bolt block to fix it. It was in a completely different yard and if you looked at both places and my location in general you just can't understand how the were both flooded.

You can't blame a flood on a car but if it happens twice in a row, God is sending you a message. You can get a DSM running pretty reliable but you might as well get a brand new car. Pick up a 2nd gen with a blown motor(if the stock 7bolt still runs good treat it as blown because it'll probably crankwalk eventually), 6 bolt block freshen it up, new timing belt and all that jazz obviously, good tune with w/e mods you have and you should have a pretty reliable car. Only needs a motor swap/rebuild...
Old 10-30-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice kill, Im actually working on a 95 gs-t with a 6-bolt swap for my daily driver...should be a low 13 sec car when im done
Old 10-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Staging Lane

how the hell are you making 360whp with bolt ons?

Quick Reply: 01 Trans-Am WS6 vs. Eclipse GS-T with 16G turbo and supporting mods