Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My 02 CETA Vs Ford Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 11:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JIBBBY
Are those Ford Lightning trucks really all that fast? I've seen one or two but never took them serious...They look like an fancy F150... I remember the Cyclone trucks being peppy.. Is that a boosted six banger or LSx motor in the Ford Lightning? I would think the weigh a ton and are heavy as ****...
5.4 iron block ( I believe) blown. Somewhere like 375-400 stock at the wheels. Full bolt ons and pullied are pretty damn stout trucks....~114 traps or so. Let alone upgraded blowers.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are those Ford Lightning trucks really all that fast?
Stock.. no. They're like the Terminators.. minimal mods make a big difference.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
Somewhere like 375-400 stock at the wheels.
That may be high.. I ran one that claimed he had 6 lb pulley, CAI, exhaust, tune and put down 375 ~HP/485 ~TQ.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Fasttruck
No I was not spraying, all boost no juice. I have never had nitrous on it and never will. In its current config it is putting down approx 550 to the wheels.
550 rwhp on a stock short block? Wow, you're gutsie man. Have you not had it dyno tuned? WHat are your mods if you dont' mind me asking.

Originally Posted by 02txceta
Stock they run mid 14's. They can easily be manipulated to move much better. This gentlemans truck was quite the exception and I believe could run with a new stock Z06....Is that quick to you?
mid 14s would be on the slow side or the 97-00 L years. They are generally mid high 13s. 01-04 are generally closer to mid 13s.
Originally Posted by ballhawkdawk
Stock.. no. They're like the Terminators.. minimal mods make a big difference.
well......not quick if you look at only the ETs, but if you look at the fact that they are a truck, they are quick.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ponygt65
well......not quick if you look at only the ETs, but if you look at the fact that they are a truck, they are quick.
Hell yeah. I'd love to have one. They're one of those cars that you respect a lot more after you run one.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
5.4 iron block ( I believe) blown. Somewhere like 375-400 stock at the wheels. Full bolt ons and pullied are pretty damn stout trucks....~114 traps or so. Let alone upgraded blowers.
COrrect, 5.4L Iron block with HyperUcrappy rods and pistons. Their short block is like a mach/GT and best maxed at 450RWHP. they don't have forged internals like the Cobras.

ALso, 375-400 stock is incorrect. The early 2nd gens are 360FWHP rated and the later 2nd gens are 380FWHP and 450FWTQ.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ballhawkdawk
Hell yeah. I'd love to have one. They're one of those cars that you respect a lot more after you run one.
YEP..I'd love to have one.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ponygt65
COrrect, 5.4L Iron block with HyperUcrappy rods and pistons. Their short block is like a mach/GT and best maxed at 450RWHP. they don't have forged internals like the Cobras.

ALso, 375-400 stock is incorrect. The early 2nd gens are 360FWHP rated and the later 2nd gens are 380FWHP and 450FWTQ.
Ahh, I was close. Still, fast for a truck. I would LOVE to have one...only thing keeping me away was gas mileage, but since gas is getting cheaper (regular dropped from 2.24 two nights ago, to 2.19 last night), I may seriously look into getting one. Or a SRT-8 if I can find a killer deal on one.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:33 PM

They are great trucks and can go fast pretty easy. There are some real good deals on them out there for sure.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:17 PM
10 Second Club

Stock they run mid 14's. They can easily be manipulated to move much better. This gentlemans truck was quite the exception and I believe could run with a new stock Z06....Is that quick to you?

mid 14s would be on the slow side or the 97-00 L years. They are generally mid high 13s. 01-04 are generally closer to mid 13s.

That may be with a expert test driver, but I had my GN at the track a couple years ago and had a club of about 50 come out. 80% were 14's or higher, 15% were in the 13's, and 5% were better than that. Not taking anything away from them but 13's would be a great run for a stock L.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:42 PM
10 Second Club

fasttruck....you running a KB blower on that thing?
Old 11-20-2008, 04:05 PM

fasttruck....you running a KB blower on that thing?
Yes I have a KB 2.3 on mine runnig approx 17-20 psi depending on air quality. Best mod I did for sure. My truck has most bolt-ons with exception of headers, however I do have high flow cats and a catback.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:16 PM
10 Second Club

I have heard really good things about the KB blowers. I have had a couple of blown Mustangs in the past but never went with KB. Why not headers? Cam/Headwork?
Old 11-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Village Idiot

Well I guess with mods then the Lightning truck can move well... I remember racing a stock one years ago and it just wasn't all that... A cyclone gave me a better challenge if my memory serves me correctly...

Kinda cool to think you gotta truck that can haul some stuff for work, then empty the bed and go find a race after... Talk about multi purpose
Old 11-20-2008, 10:04 PM

I have heard really good things about the KB blowers. I have had a couple of blown Mustangs in the past but never went with KB. Why not headers? Cam/Headwork?
No headwork/cam. When the GenII came out the only headers available were shorties and you did not pick up any with them. Then came longtubes which are pretty expensive and to really benefit from them you really need a good set of heads/cam combo. Just never did them and my truck combo works so well is why, however may consider them because I probably would pick up some more torque and release some of that high boost level.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

That may be with a expert test driver, but I had my GN at the track a couple years ago and had a club of about 50 come out. 80% were 14's or higher, 15% were in the 13's, and 5% were better than that. Not taking anything away from them but 13's would be a great run for a stock L.
They can be a pain to launch. Easier than most people think, but definitely no cake walk. I've never heard of any L running mid 14s, except for the first yrs of the 2nd Gen. High DA at that track too maybe? IDK.
Well I guess with mods then the Lightning truck can move well... I remember racing a stock one years ago and it just wasn't all that... A cyclone gave me a better challenge if my memory serves me correctly...

Kinda cool to think you gotta truck that can haul some stuff for work, then empty the bed and go find a race after... Talk about multi purpose
That Cyclone could have given you a better run if the boost was turned up and was raced from a dig. They are AWD Turbo 6 cyl. stock for stock, they wouldnt' have a chance in a full 1320 against an L.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Cams and Headwork is relatively expensive on Modular motors. KB's are great blowers, I agree. I looked into a setup for my mach, but went with ATi instead. (got a great deal on one. LOL).
Old 11-21-2008, 02:36 PM

I'll throw in a little insight to this story, since the big dummy driving the truck is one of my best friends, yet he's also my biggest racing rival. It is definitely a very fast truck, and it runs like a scalded dog from a roll; as the two of you learned.
I can explain why he stayed at your rear bumper too for the second run. He was waiting for you to back down rather than him speed up. That truck from a 60mph punch is brutal, and he wants you to run his race. And typically in street racing if someone starts slowing back a slight bit, it's there way of indicating they want you to do the same, and when you do --- it's a clear indication both parties want to race.

Anyway, I had a 99' LS1 383 stroker in my Z28 that ran a best of 11.43 @ 119.8. It was an automatic. Typically it ran 11.50's on Nittos.
Me and "Fasttruck" would run each other any chance we got, and like I said; it was his race from 60 to about 90. After that I'd begin walking him hard. Ironically though, he considered the race to always be over at 90mph,,, go figure...

If you "02TXCETA" were to spray him from that range you would clearly take him. However, w/o spray up til about 100 he's going to be out on you, based on your rwhp stats and conservative rpm limit. I would however think the 6-speed would give you some help over my automatic. I was making 441rwhp and 448 rwtq, if that gives you any comparison, but it was a very flat curve on the dyno, carrying well throughout the pull.

My only hopes now is that a different kind of lightning will strike me to get off my lazy butt and finish my GN so I'll have something to beat that dang truck w/ again! In the mean time I'd suggest bringing out your own GN and using it to reclaim victory. Not that I'm rooting against my friend, but I guess I've got a bit of bias towards the old Buicks. And I won't even go into the stories of how I destroyed him at the track w/ mine back in the day, before he became so modded...

Sounds like I missed some fun w/ y'alls races, but I did get a quick summary of it via a phone call immediately following.

And on a side note, we do have an active Houston Buick Club if you're interested in checking it out. www.houstonbuick.org
Old 11-23-2008, 09:44 AM
Village Idiot

I believe the 2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10 is the fastest production made pick up truck to date...

http://www.actioncorp.net/index.php?showtopic=3477
Old 11-23-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

I believe the 2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10 is the fastest production made pick up truck to date...

http://www.actioncorp.net/index.php?showtopic=3477
Didn't see anything there but a bunch of members posting?

BTW - the SRT10 ram is fastest in top speed, even if only by 3 MPH, it's still faster on the top end.

HOWEVER, it is not quicker than an L. Lightings are still quicker in the 1320.