Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2005 Subaru WRX STI

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 07:54 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I've heard, a 4,500-5,000rpm launch is all that's needed. If you do some research (which yes, involves READING... sue me), you'll see what I saw; people are getting low 13s with launches in that range, and even people that have 100+ 1/4 mile passes doing 6,000rpm clutch sidesteps. And stop skirting the issue; undersized=weak. It's basically the same rearend that's in V6 Mustangs. You can buy the strongest go-kart rearend in the world, but it's gonna be undersized in a car, and thus WEAK. And I don't go around bragging about how great my car is, and how other cars suck. So bringing my car up really has no bearing. But for the record, S2000s have been 10s on stock differentials too .
Old 12-12-2008, 08:03 PM
9 Second Club

No your wrong you need to do a 7500rpm clutch drop and blow the transmission to peices in order to get a low 13 second slip. Not for nothing but the whopping 102mph that the STI pulls? Your really pouring the buslengths on with the towering 4mph you'd have on him. Heres the bottom line if you'd lineup with an STI driver that shows up to race your gonna have your hands full period (yes even with the killer 4mph you'd have on him).
Old 12-13-2008, 04:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JFM-jr
No I did not miss this uneducated portion of your post. It's false . . . . . You wont need a 6K rpm clutch sidestep granted 2,500 wont get the job done but it wont get the job done in any car for that matter. Stock vs stock it's a good run with an F-Body and out on blacktop where there is no glue like at a strip the STI really takes an advantage from a dig.

Man, don't get yourself arguing with that tool. Most of us here have learned to ignore him. It's like trying to draw blood from a rock. I will agree with you 100%. A friend of mine went 12.9 @ 101mph in his old 04 STi. 1.7x 60. Another friend went 13.0 @ 99mph in his bone stock EVO VIII. Only 1.7x 60' too. It's very easy to 60ft an AWD car when you know what you are doing behind the wheel. It's also pretty stupid for one to insinuate you need a 6,000rpm side step launch to get a good 60' on any of those cars bone stock. Rubbish. Hell, my own DSM which has a much bigger turbo than what it had stock is never launched above 5,000rpm and I have netted as low as a 1.62' 60 ft on street tires. Those cars have small turbos stock that spool fast. No 6k rpm clutch dump required for a decent launch unless you do not know how to drive.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
...Unfortunately, F-bodies have the 7.5" version, which is undersized for the torque output and weight of our cars. Its not necessarily a weak design in and of itself, just undersized. Compared to the dinky trans and rear in your S2000, a T5 and 7.5" 10 bolt are monsters.,,
So the STi is summarily a shitty car when a high RPM launch toasts the clutch but when a F-body fuxors a rear-end it's because the differential is just "undersized"? Do you actually read what you write before you post your usual mindless dribble or have you been stuck on stupid ever since that little Honda blew your doors off? The adults are trying to talk Wesman. Come back when you have something objective to post.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
I think it's insanely boring.
Some of us don't like the added weight, poor weight distribution and power loss of AWD. Or the boredom that ensues with driving it around a track (power-on understeer due to driving front wheels as well). It even makes drag racing somewhat more boring, too simple.

That's weird because some of the best track cars are AWD ie. EVO, STI, GTR32/3/4??? Most of those characteristics you listed can be addressed quite easily when setting up the car. I guarantee you the power loss of an AWD is a stretched myth. It's not as much as you think. Of course, people find out the hard way when they get pulled on the highway in their RWD by an AWD car.

I used to think AWD was the **** until I actually got a DSM, got it to the point it is now, and took it to lebanon valley and Watkins glenn a few times...
Maybe it was stock and unmodified? You would like an EVO better for track when stock. DSMs need some work to make them handle just as good as a stock EVO.

I don't think AWD is more fun or even quicker in any form of racing, except for off-road rally (not road rally)

More fun? That's subjective man. I don't think there's anything more fun than my AWD car on street tires with 550awhp+ on tap all the time. Plenty of fun there...trust me.

For street themed cars, AWD does well at the track whether it be on the road course or dragstrip. You just need to optimize the setup you have. BTW, WRC drivers on asphalt in their tarmac spec'd AWD cars during the SS sections cover ground as quick as F1 drivers in their F1 cars....and they do that on public roads. AWD is more than capable. However, this is digressing.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:41 AM
Launching!

I think my next car will be an STi or a C5 Z06, probably the latter. But I still can't decide, I like the STi interior, utility and ultimate grip more, but I LOVE the Z06 looks, RWD and torque. The STi has one of the best sounding 4-cylinders out there, I used to have an Integra and was an import guy before I got my Z28 but now I don't think I can own a car with an exhaust note that doesn't shudder the earth.

I raced an Evo IX (pretty even with STis) with a downpipe, tune and a Spec clutch. I'm pretty much stock. The Evolutions have factory 2-step apparently, and he was banging off of the limiter but I still outlaunched him with my 275 Vredesteins. And no excuses, but it was a short race.... my master cylinder's shot so after 1st it was pretty much over. STis are kinda tricky to launch though, personally I don't have much experience with heavy-clutch cars so it wasn't easy for me.

You should have no problem if he's stock. I pretty much never drag race at all, and I don't practice much, so I was surprised at how good my launch was. For all you import guys, I see your side of it too but like someone said trying to get someone on LS1tech to like an import is like drawing blood from a rock. Not happening.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:22 AM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Great, the 10,819th thread that has no street racing in it.