Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Drove an '03 Cobra/also: Paging UNIT

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drove an '03 Cobra/also: Paging UNIT

So I went to the local Ford dealer the other to look at F-150's with my friend. A salesman comes out and bullshits for about 15minutes before I ask him if he's been selling alot of Cobras. We talked a bit more and he shows me what he's got on the lot and asks me if I want a test drive. I say sure and he runs to grab some plates. Well when he gets back I'm sittin in the drivers seat and he tells me head to this road just outside of town where he has a quarter mile marked off in paint (!).
On the way there he's tellin me about his 11 sec. Maxima w/ a Skyline engine (ok whatever) and how he hustles people on this road during the weekends. During this guys story telling spot a 95 Formula and take off after him. Had the revs sitting at about 3k and rolled into expecting some massive surge of power only to greeted with what seemed like less power than my TA. I was like WTF? I thought about it having 100miles and 3 200lb guys and figured that was the reason. Didn't get to the Formula before he turned off due to traffic. That opportunity gone I spot a fake Cobra in my rearview (GT with Cobra hood and emblem ) I slowed down and got in the other lane. I get along side this guy and throw him some revs. He actually turns his head away and looks down before applying his brakes to get away from me! So I am digging this car at this point
We Get out to the boonies and see that this salesman does in fact have a strip marked out in red paint with a shitload of rubber laid down. I pull about 2k RPM and slide the clutch out slow while feeding in gas and the tires just explode first gear got me about 35 ft with a shitload of wheel hop. Second gear pulles well but still feel off compared to my TA. Third was a mother. I missed it big and bounced off the limiter. Looks like she'd be needing a shifter ASAP if I bought one.Regained composure slammed home the 3-4 and moved out.Fairly impressive considering the motor is tight and I had an extra 400lbs in the car.
Salesman is up next and he is absolutely beating the **** out of this car.Prett damn cool guy even though he is into imports.Full clutch dumps at 2500 and powershifting every gear (he missed 2-3 everytime) I could smell the clutch smoking by this point. My friend hits the seat next and has a go. Smoked 1,2,and 3. big fun
My friend drives back into town does a few lurid powerslides on the way back to "test the suspension" and we drop the car off. Salesman asks us what we though we agreed the car was a shitload of fun and told him thanks. He says come back and see me if you wanna take another drive and we leave.
All in all the car is pretty cool and the salesman was the best I have ever dealt with. Interior is real bland, especially for $34,000. Shifter ABSOLUTELY sucks. Front seats are some of the best I have ever sat in. Motor sounds fantastic even though it's too quiet. Cars looks great and gets respect on the street.Backseat headroom is NIL. My friend has a knot on his head from my 1-2 shift

My friend can't stop talking about the damn thing.

UNIT: Did you have problems shifting when your car was stock? Problems with wheelhop?
Old 10-06-2003, 12:31 AM
TECH Addict

Default Re: Drove an '03 Cobra/also: Paging UNIT

I don't know what the hell happened there. It didn't look like that when I typed it up.

Whatever, sorry for the tough read.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:42 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

unit in the house!

lerajie-

Your asessment of the '03 Cobra is spot on. The stock shifter is the worst I've ever seen and the interior is very plain. I won't argue with you there. Honestly, the first time I went to the track it had 500 miles and I only ran a 13.6 @ 105mph. That was on a 2.4 60' though so the car did have high 12's in it stock if I would've known how to drive it. The wheel hop is horrible. There are ways to reduce it, but the only way to fix it is to swap in a solid axle. I wasn't too impressed with the power as it sat in stock form. It picked up some nice power after 2,000 miles or so. These things turn into animals with only a pulley swap, a chip, and exhuast. I know guys running 11.2' @ 122mph with those mods and drag radials. It's a badass car no doubt. it resembles the fbody in many ways. Big power with a good tranny (same t56) and a shitty rear end. Both the Cobra and the fbody have somewhat suspect interiors. They are nowhere near being quality. They are sufficient though. The seats. Don't get me started there. I feel that they were designed for a 12 year old girl. Try driving that thing being 6'7. I had to buy seat rail extenders just so I could fit comfortably.

That's a crazy salesman you ran into. If you ever plan on buying one, don't buy it from him!!!

unit
Old 10-06-2003, 12:47 AM
Administrator

Here's a few pics of mine if you haven't seen them before...

www.picturetrail.com/unit213

Sorry for the poor quality. Someday I'll learn how to use that damn digital cam.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:02 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ROTFL ... yeah seriously, buy the car from that salesman and you KNOW you're getting a car that has had the **** beat out of it many times. I am sure it probably just felt slower because of the crazy weight you had in it.

Unit, do you have any idea what your car dyno'd at in stock trim? I have heard the 03's usually hit 365ish stock....
Old 10-06-2003, 07:53 AM
Administrator

100% bone stock down to the paper filter it dyno'd at 374rwhp. A chip, which is essentially just a tune, brought it up to 396rwhp. Oh ya, a k&n filter was added in there too for the 396 number.

I'm going to get the car scaled today. I bet it's close to 3,900lbs with me in it.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

damn, 374 RWHP is like 415 at the flywheel... nice
Old 10-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Administrator

I'm not sure what it is about '03 Cobras ans horsepower compard to fbodies and horsepower. An fbody with 400rhwp can run 11's all day long with a good drag suspension set up. An '03 Cobra with 400rwhp will run 12's. I guess alot has to do with weight and the crappy IRS. Very weird though...
Old 10-06-2003, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Unit, it's the same with the Supras... I've seen Supras dyno at 500-550 and run mid 12s.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

yep, i was going to say the same thing Mario!
Old 10-06-2003, 05:48 PM
STF Veteran

unit, from what i've read the IRS in the 03 is superior in almost every way to the 99/01... i wonder what those must have been like.

also, assuming you do more than hit the strip and jump from stoplights, i'm sure there are times you appreciate the IRS. i know that i wasn't happy when my *** end would slide through a bouncy corner in my 94 GT.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

unit, from what i've read the IRS in the 03 is superior in almost every way to the 99/01... i wonder what those must have been like.

also, assuming you do more than hit the strip and jump from stoplights, i'm sure there are times you appreciate the IRS. i know that i wasn't happy when my *** end would slide through a bouncy corner in my 94 GT.

I dunno... I'd still 10 times prefer a solid rear rather than an IRS
Old 10-06-2003, 06:07 PM
STF Veteran

a lot of the mainstream automotive press praised the cobra for it's prowess in the curves, especially considering it's sitting on a 24 year-old chassis. i would assume that the IRS has a lot to do with that. having never driven the cobra, nor any other IRS car that i can think of, i am not in a position to comment i suppose.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

unit in the house!

lerajie-

Your asessment of the '03 Cobra is spot on. The stock shifter is the worst I've ever seen and the interior is very plain. I won't argue with you there. Honestly, the first time I went to the track it had 500 miles and I only ran a 13.6 @ 105mph. That was on a 2.4 60' though so the car did have high 12's in it stock if I would've known how to drive it. The wheel hop is horrible. There are ways to reduce it, but the only way to fix it is to swap in a solid axle. I wasn't too impressed with the power as it sat in stock form. It picked up some nice power after 2,000 miles or so. These things turn into animals with only a pulley swap, a chip, and exhuast. I know guys running 11.2' @ 122mph with those mods and drag radials. It's a badass car no doubt. it resembles the fbody in many ways. Big power with a good tranny (same t56) and a shitty rear end. Both the Cobra and the fbody have somewhat suspect interiors. They are nowhere near being quality. They are sufficient though. The seats. Don't get me started there. I feel that they were designed for a 12 year old girl. Try driving that thing being 6'7. I had to buy seat rail extenders just so I could fit comfortably.

That's a crazy salesman you ran into. If you ever plan on buying one, don't buy it from him!!!

unit

Whew! I'm glad I am not one of the only guys having problems with that shifter and launching. I pride myself on being a really solid driver and that thing made me feel plain stupid on the first launch.

From the things I have read about you and your car and the stuff on the fan sites the Cobra looks like a fabulous starting point for near supercar performance. The Cobra felt more like a 460 than a 4.6 down low. The torque actually surprised me. I figured it would be real midrange heavy power.

I agree with you about the interior it is right along the lines of the F-Bodies. Boring but livable.I'm 6'0 so we're going to have some drastically different opinions on the interior . Most people your height play in the NBA and would be driving 'Slades w/Dub-Fo's so I think the Mustang crew figured "let's make em for little people".

Even though I have always been a GM guy I personally say good call on buying the Cobra. It's a good looking car (especially in Blue and Gunmetal) that can get the job done and hold the American flag high on the street.

Make sure you get some numbers posted next time you hit the track. I'd like to see what kind of numbers your laying down with the mods you talked about.

BTW if My friend or myself do get one I'll make sure the thing gets ordered and I'll be there to watch it get off the hauler. I think that guy has rang the neck of every car on his lot!
Old 10-06-2003, 06:20 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

An '03 Cobra with 400rwhp will run 12's. I guess alot has to do with weight and the crappy IRS. Very weird though...
An associate of mine recently purchased an 03 cobra (he won't race me for some strange reason, weird) ... He says it's a bitch to launch, and this is coming from someone who used to own a 500 something hp vette.

Hopefully he won't start modding it heavily ... I like having the fastest car in the office.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:05 AM
Administrator

I'm able to cut 2.0 60' every time now on stock F1's and the worst track in the world. Launching the '03 Cobra isn't all that hard. It takes about 6 passes to get it right.

skarecrow- the IRS is great for cornering I must admit.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:17 AM
TECH Resident

unit, what track u run at, milan?
Old 10-09-2003, 02:44 AM
Administrator

Yep...Milan. I've been to Norwalk a few times too. What about you?
Old 10-09-2003, 02:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Unit, is the n20 hookup finished yet? I wanna hear how a 10 sec 1/4 feels...
Old 10-09-2003, 02:45 AM
Teching In

Are the shifters in the GT's the same as used in the Cobra's?
I only ask because my brother's '02 GT had this same problem with the 2-3 shift. He just recently put in a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter and it really helped things out but you can hear more transmission noise now.

My problem when driving his GT was going to slam 2nd gear and hitting 4th instead. LOL Man does that sperentine belt hurt your ears when it screams.

Whew! I'm glad I am not one of the only guys having problems with that shifter and launching. I pride myself on being a really solid driver and that thing made me feel plain stupid on the first launch.