Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

whats the big deal about supras??

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: whats the big deal about supras??

Sorry to sound vain, but that vr4 if ******* hideous. I also think AWD id better suited to off road situations. Due to the transfer case always being the weak link when modding.

The supra is a badass car and they raised the bar for imports, which I believe hasn't been equaled (by imports) yet. Over 800rwhp on stock internals!

I think the 03 cobra is the car to watch. There already was one in one of mustang mags that pulled 724rwhp with a kenne bell on stock internals.

Give me that 03 and some sticky tires and a solid rear I'll walk over a 800rwhp supra in the 1/4.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:03 PM
STF Veteran

supras... vr4s... eh, i'm still on top of the "gimme an rx-7 with a turbo'd ls1" kick.

supras are way too damn expensive. the fact that they're highly sought after and the toyota name pushes the price WAY WAY up. take the price difference between a used 98 ls1 vs a used 98 supra tt, and you could easilly annihilate the supra. but then i guess that is the eternal arguement, is it not? for the same price you could pick up an 88 5.0 LX and make it run 9s.
Old 10-11-2003, 03:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

supras... vr4s... eh, i'm still on top of the "gimme an rx-7 with a turbo'd ls1" kick.
definitely... LS1 RX7s are the ****. If I ever put up the money to do a swap, that'd be the one I'd do.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:57 PM
Teching In

my point to this post orrigonally was every supra i have seen on the road has been the "ricy special" all show no go.. and half of them have been the fast and retared package... done up to look eactaly like the one from the movie. im just pointing out that i hate the people that think they are the fastest car in the world because they saw it on a movie.

i gotta say the vr4s are pimp. the rotery rx7s corner like a mad man i would love to get my hands on an extra ls1 and a good rx7 base that would be a fun combo. supras look good but im not big on them...

give me enough money and i can make a turd run the 1/4 in 10 seckonds.... just look at the focus.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:32 PM
11 Second Club

IMPORTS SUCK!!! SOUNDS LIKE A ELEPHANT FART
Old 10-12-2003, 12:12 PM
Teching In

yeah the fart can exaust is pritty damn funny...imports are kinda like mopeds and go carts. just a little too fun to play with for there own good.... somthing you enjoy messing with and driving but if you were to call it a real car youd just get laughed at
Old 10-12-2003, 12:27 PM
STF Veteran

eh? watch the generalizations. there is a huge difference between import performance and rice.

there's a difference between johnny yo-boy and his ugly civic LX with a wing, a fart pipe, some stickers, and a 50-shot of naaaaawwwwwzz... and somebody who's done a turbo swap on a supra or something like that.

hell, i know a guy who's brother runs 11 second times all day long (at 1 mile of elevation i might add), no bottle... only turbo, in his street DSM. not bad at all for a 2.0L 4-banger.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

DSMs do have a lot of potential, I'd say the imports with the most potential are DSMs and Supras... other than that, most of them are dogs.
Old 10-12-2003, 02:13 PM
Teching In

i just have a probablem with the week *** tranny they put in them ... it just seems that the j-spec dsm tranny is alot more bullet proof than the american version....
dident mean any offence by the fart can comment. and all im pointing out is they have amazing power to weigh ratio, great handeling, no respect. yes a good exaust does sound good on imports and yes there are people that dont rice em out...... i just havent seen any on the street..
Old 10-12-2003, 02:18 PM
STF Veteran

eh, most nice exhaust notes i hear out of imports only sound good around 1500-3000rpm... as soon as they get higher than that it sounds horrid.

actually, lately around here i hear far more pickup trucks with stupid loud exhausts than imports.
Old 10-12-2003, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well some one did post a 8 sec dsm..and no not a fiberglass super gutted type drag car.

ls1-rx7 is great indeed. i thought abou tit.

but i rather Represent with an f-body.

and i hate to admit it..but it seems the 4.6 is a boost hog, and the cobra in the upcoming years is gonna make strides.

'07 camaro..please let it be a turbo ls6 at like 1psi..(in order to not seem corvette-esque and the suits at chevy don't trip on it)
Old 10-12-2003, 04:15 PM
Teching In

there is no myth of speed behind a real tuned supra. I had one converted to single turbo and the problem with them is one thing like any fast car modified, traction. I had NO traction off the line and would get hurt off the line by quite a few, but once I was up to speed I'd pass you like you were standing still. Some people have the n/a's and think they are badass with their whopping 240 horses and get spanked all the time. They are still going for upwards of 30K even 94's which I had. If I had a choice it would be to get into another supra, even though they are dyno queens after 80MPh take a hike!! When I lived in Springfield I had the fastest ride around beside a guy named Jack Cotton from Agawam who specializes in grand nationals, he spanked me every chance he got but he is a veteran tuner for grand nationals. Only one time did I come close but my fpk let go and spit gas all over the place ( I know, ricer excuse, but true) but he does 9's street legal. It cost me 3K to get 630 horses out of her and it's hard to do that with a camaro let me tell you. The ones I would be scared of are the ones that look stock, not the riced out **** that you see now, ****, I would have hung myself if My car looked like riced ****.
How did you get 630hp for 3k. Don't say that was on boost alone it would have to be with a wet kit.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah i posted the vid of the eclipse. had the interior, no fiberglass, and on drag radials. I know that BPU alone does not give you 630 hp so what else did you do? and yes the worlds fastest 03 cobra is in the latest MM&FF magazine. it runs a 9.5 at 149. weighs 3800 lbs, with a/c and cage, and backseat. it is also daily driven everyday. i think you all should check it out. it was done here in houston by Strictly Performance!
Old 10-12-2003, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

bronco, that's awesome about the cobra. I hope some day to have my car to that level- a street driven 9 second car.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

you really should check out that article in the magazine. The car is bad ***, and it topped out the dynojet. with the kenne belle blower, and some shot of nitrous, it made 800 rwhp, and 1200 lb ft tq!
Old 10-13-2003, 12:59 AM
Teching In

see now how can you argue with that?
thats it i now know why no one argues with ya bigbronco. it because of your big beautifull bouncin' tittys. come on how are you going to argue while starin at thems?
Old 10-13-2003, 01:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

hahahaahhhaaa, that's what makes it so hard to argue with dontrevme
Old 10-13-2003, 06:15 AM
Staging Lane

there is no myth of speed behind a real tuned supra. I had one converted to single turbo and the problem with them is one thing like any fast car modified, traction. I had NO traction off the line and would get hurt off the line by quite a few, but once I was up to speed I'd pass you like you were standing still. Some people have the n/a's and think they are badass with their whopping 240 horses and get spanked all the time. They are still going for upwards of 30K even 94's which I had. If I had a choice it would be to get into another supra, even though they are dyno queens after 80MPh take a hike!! When I lived in Springfield I had the fastest ride around beside a guy named Jack Cotton from Agawam who specializes in grand nationals, he spanked me every chance he got but he is a veteran tuner for grand nationals. Only one time did I come close but my fpk let go and spit gas all over the place ( I know, ricer excuse, but true) but he does 9's street legal. It cost me 3K to get 630 horses out of her and it's hard to do that with a camaro let me tell you. The ones I would be scared of are the ones that look stock, not the riced out **** that you see now, ****, I would have hung myself if My car looked like riced ****.
How did you get 630hp for 3k. Don't say that was on boost alone it would have to be with a wet kit.
I cruised most of the supra boards to find used **** cause new is too expensive, that was new injectors, pc tune new blowoff, greddy overrated turbo, fuel rails, custom exhaust that thank god did not sound like farts (more like diahrea)
and fuel pump, thicker head gasket, new springs. No, definitely not on straight boost
I feel when you build a motor from the factory with forged bottom end you leave plenty of room to mod the **** out of the rest...
Old 10-13-2003, 07:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes i planned out the good avatar pic. I knew it would help me on the battlegrounds in the forum so that is why i picked it up. also sounds like a nice car grygst! what made you get rid of it for the f-bod, or do you still have it!
Old 10-13-2003, 07:28 AM
Staging Lane

Yes i planned out the good avatar pic. I knew it would help me on the battlegrounds in the forum so that is why i picked it up. also sounds like a nice car grygst! what made you get rid of it for the f-bod, or do you still have it!
the big unemployment crash of april!! I lost my high paying job at IPC information systems when stupid *** global crossing bought us, in less then one year they totally fucked half the workforce to save money and still filed bankruptcy go figure!! The supra was my dream car but I have been around muscle cars all my life, I practically have oil in my veins I couldn't afford the payments on it (560.00 a month) so I had to let her go but I did make a pretty penny on it since I sold it for what I bought it for to some rich schmoe for 42K!! I have always been a sceptic of what mods can do to a car but this was the first car electronically I wanted to find out if the hype was true, it was. Was she a dyno queen? YUP. Did she perform after the mods? YUP. If they would only take the advice of the jap cars and made the LS1 bottom end forged like they started to do in 1967 with the vette 327 small journal forged crank and kept going to include the rods and pistons then we would have an incredibly solid foundation to start modding the **** out of and the import wars would end very quickly. After all the mods I did to my supra and racking HARD miles on it 53K the worst thing to happen to it was I stripped a thread on the thermo when I screwed it in. I brough it to a shop and had the oil change done on it and the ******** forgot to put the drain plug back on (I had no time to do it myself) and I drove it for close to 4 miles with no oil...I thought it was weird because I had a shitload of power but the engine temp was starting to soar like hell!! To make a long story short the motor was fine afterwards after being checked by a toyota dealership but I made the place replace the motor anyways..I only liked it because of the reliability, otherwise I would have bought a 94 vette at the time. I am very faithful to my chevy's but if I needed reliable transportation that wouldn't leave me ****** stranded so many times like my chevy's have I would get another supra or 240sx with the sr20det blacktop conversion!! That was my other project in my sig but some ******* right after the swap totalled the sumbitch!! I've owned more chevy's though and I will continue to own em as well. As far as the 300gt's or the 300zx? Never, they weigh close to 3900 pounds and are slow and if you want to upgrade the turbo's you have to pull the motor out.....

Quick Reply: whats the big deal about supras??