Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

GTR vs LS3 vs 03 Cobra vs GT500 vs SRT8 vs dumdumdumdum

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL.....******' GTR jumped the gun on the second honk on EVERY race. What a *****.

Also...how the HELL does an intake LS3 stay even/inch on a 600rwhp GT500? Weight or no weight, I'm here to tell you guys either that LS3 Vette has a lot more done to it than that, or the GT500 isn't running right. An intake, catless, tune LS3 vette should be good for right around 120mph through the traps.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

It would seem as if THEY ALL DO THAT!!! I have raced two different GTR's and they always cheat. My buddy raced one and same thing....
Old 01-28-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

Listen, I know people on here don't like the GTR and that there's a HUGE amount of hype surrounding them but last I checked Hennessey had a 600hp package available for them on stock turbos (still expensive anyway).
Not likely that the tranny will hold up to that though

On a side note, I was at a NJ auto show this previous saturday and a rep. for a major local Nissan dealership (biggest in NJ anyway) said that the GTR was the fastest car at the show. That would be great and all if the show was smaller, but there was a C6 ZR1 on the other side of the showroom floor.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Yep, that guy was just doing what reps do. He can't keep a job if he's willing to say that the GT-R was the second fastest car at the show.

Chris
Old 01-28-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

GT-R...........lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOAXJTTc__w
Old 01-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Teching In

donsn't the vid say the vet has a supercharger. it was only for a second i had to rewind to catch it but though it said that.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camaro80
donsn't the vid say the vet has a supercharger. it was only for a second i had to rewind to catch it but though it said that.
I do not recall seeing that. Also, if you look at the comments by the Vette owner below the video posting he states that it only has an intake, tune, and no cats.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:22 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dynotune04
i dunno if this might clear things up a bit but this is a ported/sprayed cobra against a ls3 vette with spray.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQEGbK2hTh8
Oh I ain't buyin' THAT... I'm outside and my screens a wreck, so I couldn't make much out... but did that vid show a ported Cobra dusting a LS3 on spray?

If so... NO sir... there's WAY more to that story than what the video gives up... Nuh uh... Not hardly.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
Listen, I know people on here don't like the GTR and that there's a HUGE amount of hype surrounding them but last I checked Hennessey had a 600hp package available for them on stock turbos (still expensive anyway).
Not likely that the tranny will hold up to that though

On a side note, I was at a NJ auto show this previous saturday and a rep. for a major local Nissan dealership (biggest in NJ anyway) said that the GTR was the fastest car at the show. That would be great and all if the show was smaller, but there was a C6 ZR1 on the other side of the showroom floor.
We had a new GT-R roll down to our 1/8th mile track and he ran consistent high 7s... Which is fine and all, but considering the "Godzilla" hype and the coin... dollar for dollar, the Vette kill's em add induction to the Vette and it's over before it even begins.

Say what ya want, but this generation of Vette is the best muscle car in the world today and all the crying about interior appintments and weak leather seats from Road and Track isn't going to change that. Stock they're BEASTS and the list of potential mods is endless; which takes them into the 'screw you, let's race' category... and that doesn't even consider the ZR-1. She's taking everything at which she bothers to show... 1.1 lateral Gs... 3.3 to 60, breaking is ridiculous and power... well ****, there's plenty to spare without regard to who is in the next lane.

The video is not EVEN telling the whole story here... Nuh uh...
Old 01-29-2009, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by OVA1
Oh I ain't buyin' THAT... I'm outside and my screens a wreck, so I couldn't make much out... but did that vid show a ported Cobra dusting a LS3 on spray?

If so... NO sir... there's WAY more to that story than what the video gives up... Nuh uh... Not hardly.
What is so hard to believe about a 500+ RWHP car + spray beating a <400 RWHP car + spray?
Old 01-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ballhawkdawk
What is so hard to believe about a 500+ RWHP car + spray beating a <400 RWHP car + spray?
because from what the owner of the vette said! he said his spray was not working right, even if the cobra would win it WOULD NOT pull that hard on a bolt on LS3 with a 150 shot
Old 01-29-2009, 09:48 AM
***Repost Police***

We had a new GT-R roll down to our 1/8th mile track and he ran consistent high 7s... Which is fine and all, but considering the "Godzilla" hype and the coin... dollar for dollar, the Vette kill's em add induction to the Vette and it's over before it even begins.

Say what ya want, but this generation of Vette is the best muscle car in the world today and all the crying about interior appintments and weak leather seats from Road and Track isn't going to change that. Stock they're BEASTS and the list of potential mods is endless; which takes them into the 'screw you, let's race' category... and that doesn't even consider the ZR-1. She's taking everything at which she bothers to show... 1.1 lateral Gs... 3.3 to 60, breaking is ridiculous and power... well ****, there's plenty to spare without regard to who is in the next lane.

It's very hard to get more than that
Old 01-29-2009, 09:53 AM
***Repost Police***

And wouldn't a bolt-on/pullied Cobra beat an intake/muffler LS3 Vette? Especially from a 70mph roll? Add a 150 shot to both cars, and it might go even more in the Cobra's favor.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

What? Wait... What?

I didn't say anything about the newer C6's... Aside from the fact that an idiot Nissan rep thought the GT-R was quicker then a ZR1.................

Trust me, you don't need to inform me of what the current C6,C6Z, and C6 Zr1 are capable of

They happen to be one of my favorite cars.
If I had the money right now I'd go out and buy an 09 base with an A6.........

I was just stating that the GT-R is no Joke either, even though everyone seems to think it is... Oh well
Old 01-29-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The GT-R suffered from overhype which it wasn't really able to live up to. If Nissan had just produced the damn thing and handed it over to the public....everyone would have been pleasantly surprised and it wouldn't be catching as much flak as it does. Instead they produced and advertised a bunch of numbers that no one else has been able to reproduce, and all the while they are telling customers that if they use the onboard features that would allow them to recreate those numbers........they can kiss their warranty goodbye.

But for what it is, it is a pretty impressive car. I just don't consider it a driver's car, since the car seems to do most of the correcting for you. Cool?........sure. Thrilling?.........not as much. JMO.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

^^^
I agree.

The auto mags are to blame for it's over hype as well.

While the car tends to drive itself, I can't say that it would necessarily be boring to drive. I imagine it would be pretty fun to snap off a rediculously fast time at a local track (the kind of track with turns). You couldn't toy with it as much as, say, a C6Z though. That's pretty definite.
It all depends on what you prefer I guess; I'd have to test drive both.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:26 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah, from what I read, the GT-R was coined "The Corvette Killer" where Nissan had designed it to kill the Z06... then the ZR-1 hit the news and it was over...

What will be cool is to see what the big road racers do to compensate for the ZR-1... I expect to see things like the new Strike Fighter without the wings.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, from what I read, the GT-R was coined "The Corvette Killer" where Nissan had designed it to kill the Z06... then the ZR-1 hit the news and it was over...

What will be cool is to see what the big road racers do to compensate for the ZR-1... I expect to see things like the new Strike Fighter without the wings.
It pains me to say it (not really) but the 09 Viper SRT-10 ACR has the ZR1 beat on a road course. Creature comforts and top speed still go to the ZR1 if I'm not mistaken.

Nissan's only solution is to lower the weight of the GT-R with the V-spec, which will improve the car somewhat (not enough though, I think).

Ford's answer... Umm... Nothing? There was a Ltd prod. variant of the GT called the GTX1 that had something like 700hp, but that's obviously discontinued.

The Germans and italians are still into their overwheight GT cars (except the new LP560 Superleggera actually holds a few track records/ one even over the SRT-10 ACR)
Old 01-30-2009, 02:28 PM
***Repost Police***

Well Ferrari has a different mission when it comes to selling cars; they like really connected sports cars, but they're selling cars to fund F1 racing.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ballhawkdawk
fyi that cobra made 650+ on spray.