Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LS1 'Maro vs. 03 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 11:30 AM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 99_Z28
What is big power if you cant get it to the ground? Its fun to burn off the tires and to show off but that gets old. I had a 450hp 2nd gen that the first three gears were useless, kinda like the Cobra in your vid...

You can get it to the ground above 60mph, thats where the fun is. Did your 450rwhp car trap 133?
Old 02-13-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRMach1
From what I was told, the injectors are a good match for the other components. Hell, I thought 60lb. injectors were slight overkill. But most people run the KB Mach 1 kit on a stock motor, so it's never pushing more than 8-10lbs. of boost. I wanted to bump that up to around 16+lbs. so the shop guys, who do alot of KB and Whipple installations, said that since they were working with a clean slate, they wanted to make sure nothing was going to get pegged and cause a redo down the road. So far they haven't been wrong. I haven't been in for the final tuning, hopefully by the end of February, I'll have those numbers published.
Gotcha. I don't doubt it or them. I was just thinking the 60s would be max'd before the lines. That's all.

So far, from what I hear abotu your shop, I'm liking them. Alot 'subpar' shops out there now-a-days.
Originally Posted by unit213
Twin Ford GT pumps.

The tune is safe, but I'm pushing it to the brink for sure. Did I mention
the stock exhaust manifolds still?
Cool.

IR you stating you had stock exh. manifolds, and I was wondering if you were going to swap those out. You haven't touched the heads either IIRC?

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
You can get it to the ground above 60mph, thats where the fun is. Did your 450rwhp car trap 133?
99_Z28s car just wasnt' setup correctly.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ponygt65
99_Z28s car just wasnt' setup correctly.
I've always wondered how these bolt on cars, or even 450 RWHP cars get zero traction. I hook just fine in 2nd on the spray as long as it isn't ridiculously cold outside. 275 GSD3 street tires and 3 point weld-ins. From a stop I struggle in first though.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ballhawkdawk
I've always wondered how these bolt on cars, or even 450 RWHP cars get zero traction. I hook just fine in 2nd on the spray as long as it isn't ridiculously cold outside. 275 GSD3 street tires and 3 point weld-ins. From a stop I struggle in first though.
GSD3s are nice tires. I had those on my DSG mach. They are the only goodyear I'd own.

I had BFG G-force on my AB procharged mach. Burn outs had to be done in second gear though......It really just came down to me feathering the clutch correctly. I had a perfect launch on a december night against an Evo. I outlaunched that fugger pretty good. That was after he pulled a ricer launch on me. (not confirming a race). I went sideways into third catching up to him.....LOL
Old 02-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ponygt65
IR you stating you had stock exh. manifolds, and I was wondering if you were going to swap those out. You haven't touched the heads either IIRC?
The long block is 100% stock. I'll do long tubes some day. The problem
is that I want Kooks headers and it'll require that I hack up
my (expensive) x-pipe.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Holy ****! You's are running **** I haven't even heard of, in cars that are faster than I have even been in! lol (I feel even more like a newb now-if that's possible on this site lol). Unit213-what et and trap is your ride? That thing seems damn crazy.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What gearing are you running? It makes a HUGE difference.

For example, I have 400/367 to the wheels, which is nothing crazy, but I have 4.10s and an MN12 trans with shorter gear ratios. First and second are useless on the Nittos if it's below 50 degrees. Above 50 and first is still useless - in fact it's always useless unless I'm running the ET Streets after a burnout - and second is questionable unless I do a burnout or start in a bad spot. I would say in normal 70-80 degree weather during the Spring, Summer, and Fall, second hooks 2/3 of the time.

If I was running a stock transmission and 3.42s or 3.73s, it would be a totally different story.

Think about riding a bike on sandy pavement and trying to pedal as fast as you can. Whether you're in one of your lowest gears or highest makes a huge difference and will make spinning that back tire a LOT easier in the shortest gear.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 02-13-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

my (expensive) x-pipe.
That's what I thought......ever so impressive man.

I know what you mean about hacking up mids. Some people forget about that part when going to LT's. Still have the stock H? You could just order in some high flows and cut them in. It'll even increase a tad bit of back pressure. LOL Or just order a new mid, and not touch the high $$ one.

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
What gearing are you running? It makes a HUGE difference.

For example, I have 400/367 to the wheels, which is nothing crazy, but I have 4.10s and an MN12 trans with shorter gear ratios. First and second are useless on the Nittos if it's below 50 degrees. Above 50 and first is still useless - in fact it's always useless unless I'm running the ET Streets after a burnout - and second is questionable unless I do a burnout or start in a bad spot. I would say in normal 70-80 degree weather during the Spring, Summer, and Fall, second hooks 2/3 of the time.

If I was running a stock transmission and 3.42s or 3.73s, it would be a totally different story.

Think about riding a bike on sandy pavement and trying to pedal as fast as you can. Whether you're in one of your lowest gears or highest makes a huge difference and will make spinning that back tire a LOT easier in the shortest gear.
I had 3.55s. I was thinking of 3.73s or 3.90s down the road. 4.10s+Blown+3650+DD = not my thing. LOL
Old 02-13-2009, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Nope...no roll bar. It's all street car.

Twin Ford GT pumps.

I'll have a similar setup. I already have the mods.
  • twin Ford GT pumps
  • Fore fuel hat
  • 80lb injectors
  • -8AN line to the rails
  • dual FPDMs
  • etc

The tune is safe, but I'm pushing it to the brink for sure. Did I mention
the stock exhaust manifolds still?
with what your planning on im surprised you didnt opt for the Fore tripple hat with 3 ford gt pumps.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Well, there's only one option left before an aftermarket blower or a turbo (both of which will put you well out of reach of my car), and that's a port. If you port it, it might be worth getting together still, but if it's something bigger, I'm not gonna waste my gas - I'll have to grab a friend with a faster car and take a ride up with them .

Keep me posted when you do hit the track.
ill say one thing im not expecting to run anywhere in the 11's
Old 02-13-2009, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

mine hooks just fine in 1st with a decent burn out. i run 275/40/17 et streets on the car at ALL times tho.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Regular

Nope...no 9's. I'm out of fuel still, but I have all the fuel system mods. I
just need to install them then throw a tune in the car. I'm running 23psi
on stock pumps right now. We'll see how she runs this year with
some slicks and a healthy shot of sauce once I get the fuel system done.

Here's a setup for you...23psi on a 2.2L KB, 110 race gas, 22* of timing,
stock fuel pumps, 55lb injectors, stock feed line, BAP, etc.

Now you see why I can't make anymore power until I upgrade the fuel system!
I hear ya on the fuel. I don't seem to have that issue with an Aeromotive 1000 pump @ 300 gals per hr and two 1/2" lines. One for the motor and one for the N2O. I may have an issue with keeping the front end on the ground though....
Old 02-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2

Never took it to a track, top speed was 120mph...
Old 02-13-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynotune04
ill say one thing im not expecting to run anywhere in the 11's
I wouldn't expect any well-driven ported or more Cobra to be running 11s unless it wasn't setup right or on crappy tires. But we both know your plans involve much more than a port.

I personally would love to have a 10-second slip sometime this year if all the plans go through and I spoil myself a bit more than I'm used to, but I may have to hold off on part of my plans since I'm trying to get the car paid off in the next couple months. I'd rather have an 11-second title in hand car than a 10 second title in the bank's hand car.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Teching In

my (expensive) x-pipe.
I also went with the Kooks long tubes. Kooks also makes a sweet x-pipe that accepts bolt-in high flow cats, which I went with, or o/r collector connections if you don't want the cats. All that bolted right up to my Borla Stingers, which I wasn't giving up no mater what!

Quick Reply: LS1 'Maro vs. 03 Cobra