Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Stock C6 Z06 vs 550 rwhp Supra

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by obZidian
I just want to add... that I know both those guys and the Z06 with RF's was turning 128mph runs ALL DAY at 11.0's.

Furman, owner or the 08 viper that went 10's, also went 10's with a bone stock c6 Z06.. @ 129-130mph.

Awesome cars but this proves the viper is NOT FASTER than a c6 z06.
Sorry man butyou are big time WRONG..Everbody is trapping 126-130 mph in their bone stock 2008 Vipers..

Jamie furman and Jami alone ever trapped better than 128 mph in his C6Z06..125-126 is the best you will see with 1 or 2 guys hitting 127 mph dead stock..

126 or 127 mph for the 2008 Vipers is just no big deal..

Put em side by side at 70 mph and watch the viper be ahead by 3 cars at 150 mph..

0-150 mph in 16.4 seconds is what the 2008 Vipers can do....That is SERIOUSLY FAST...a 0-150 mph in 17.5 seconds C6Z06 just aint gonna mess with that.....

1/4 mile I think the Z06 can give the Viper a good run for it's money...But past 130 mph and the vette gets pulled H-H-A-R-D ( johnny ***)
Old 03-24-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe theres ricers in here trying to stick up for the Supra.

Everyone knows who they are, no need to mention any names, its obvious.

Bottom line is the C6Z is faster. Why?? The LS7 has much better top end power than the Supra, it has a much fatter powerband, and the car also weighs less.

You can see the Supra in the video lurch each time the turbos spool, thats GARBAGE. What good is an engine that can only make peak power for a couple seconds because of huge turbo lag?? Nothing, its useless.

I can't understand why idiot ricers worship Supras. They can't do anything that any other motor can't do, they just do it less efficiently, sound horrible, have miserable powerbands, and often blow up. Really impressive.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:03 AM
Teching In

http://www.viperalley.com/forum/vipe...14-09-4pm.html

Link to Viper alley giving props where props are due. Fastest 6spd IRS. Supra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US2Y8c327YA&fmt=22

Video of run.

Supras are what they are.. 6 piston 3 liter turbo cars that are capable of making serious power and serious speed.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:10 AM
Teching In

Supras are SICK when built properly and have an owner who's more interested in actually racing one than having one as a garage kept dyno queen. Dismissing them as an overhyped car is pure ignorance and idiocy. They do amazing things with 1/2 the displacement and 2 cylinders less than alot of V8 cars. The motor has a very solid foundation to build on. People who put them on a pedestal are idiots. People who underestimate their potential are idiots as well. Respect should be given in moderation. I like Supras but I find them bulky. I like more compact cars myself. I like both cars but in different ways. The C6Z is an impressive machine as well.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Killemall
Sorry man butyou are big time WRONG..Everbody is trapping 126-130 mph in their bone stock 2008 Vipers..

Jamie furman and Jami alone ever trapped better than 128 mph in his C6Z06..125-126 is the best you will see with 1 or 2 guys hitting 127 mph dead stock..

126 or 127 mph for the 2008 Vipers is just no big deal..

Put em side by side at 70 mph and watch the viper be ahead by 3 cars at 150 mph..

0-150 mph in 16.4 seconds is what the 2008 Vipers can do....That is SERIOUSLY FAST...a 0-150 mph in 17.5 seconds C6Z06 just aint gonna mess with that.....

1/4 mile I think the Z06 can give the Viper a good run for it's money...But past 130 mph and the vette gets pulled H-H-A-R-D ( johnny ***)
Bone stock Z06 trap 126-130 as well. Just recently, down here in south florida, there was a guy in a z06 that went 128, another that went 127, and then another that went 129... ALL different cars, different drivers, etc.

Listen, we went through this already and I know by now that after crashing two of them, your still going to defend them.

The 08 viper is NOT FASTER THAN A Z06. I have proved it to you on video, and this lastest time by furman proves it. Both cars went low-loooow 10's.

And, again, your using magazine times. Go ahead, be that guy... but I know the truth and that is is that the 08 viper is not faster than a z06. You think that after getting beat 3-4 cars (stock 2006) now, with the 100hp difference, it's going to pull thos 3-4 cars and put another train on that? HONESTLY?

Be real my friend. And shinny side up..... we all know you need it!
Old 03-25-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by diambo4life
Supras are SICK when built properly and have an owner who's more interested in actually racing one than having one as a garage kept dyno queen. Dismissing them as an overhyped car is pure ignorance and idiocy. They do amazing things with 1/2 the displacement and 2 cylinders less than alot of V8 cars. The motor has a very solid foundation to build on. People who put them on a pedestal are idiots. People who underestimate their potential are idiots as well. Respect should be given in moderation. I like Supras but I find them bulky. I like more compact cars myself. I like both cars but in different ways. The C6Z is an impressive machine as well.
First, i would like to say that your car is awesome. I used to own a 92 GSx and never really got around to modding it. I loved that car and do see myself owning another eventually.

You sound like a smart person so please don't take this the wrong way.

But the comment I highlighted..... I just don't what it is about it but it bothers me. True, a supra is a 6 cylinder, but it has a factory power adder to make up for the "difference" when compared to an 8 cylinder. Same thing goes with your 4g63.. it's turbocharged. The 4.6 DOHC 281 "JUNK" cobra motor might be small, but it has a positive displacement charger on top to make up for the missing liters.

I just find it ridiculous when I hear someone tell me something like that. It is not anyone's fault you (not you! ) picked a 4-banger. Now, i'll give respect when it is due... but not to someone trying to belittle another car because it has less cylinders or a smaller motor. It's going to take alot more for that smaller motor to go... well all know that. But you chose the powerband and hp characteristics.

I dunno, I have driven all three types and I like them all in their own ways.... but never once will I say something like that because I find it disingenuous and makes the guy with the 8 cylinder seem like a fool for picking such a big, heavy, quarterback-ken type of powerplant.

Anyways, your DSM rocks... carry one!
Old 03-25-2009, 11:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, i would like to say that your car is awesome. I used to own a 92 GSx and never really got around to modding it. I loved that car and do see myself owning another eventually.

But the comment I highlighted..... I just don't what it is about it but it bothers me. True, a supra is a 6 cylinder, but it has a factory power adder to make up for the "difference" when compared to an 8 cylinder. Same thing goes with your 4g63.. it's turbocharged. The 4.6 DOHC 281 "JUNK" cobra motor might be small, but it has a positive displacement charger on top to make up for the missing liters.

I just find it ridiculous when I hear someone tell me something like that. It is not anyone's fault you (not you! ) picked a 4-banger. Now, i'll give respect when it is due... but not to someone trying to belittle another car because it has less cylinders or a smaller motor. It's going to take alot more for that smaller motor to go... well all know that. But you chose the powerband and hp characteristics.

I dunno, I have driven all three types and I like them all in their own ways.... but never once will I say something like that because I find it disingenuous and makes the guy with the 8 cylinder seem like a fool for picking such a big, heavy, quarterback-ken type of powerplant.

Good post. That is the way I see it. Engine size, number of pistons, power adders, ect ect...**** all that. power is power, weather it be 454 cubic in N/A 600 hp, 4 banger turbo 600 hp, or 4.6 S/C 600 hp...doesn't matter how it is made, just how it gets to the ground, and how well the car performs. I respect, and love, good amounts of power, now matter what. Now is it more impressive N/A, or 4 banger? Sometimes...but I try not to let that cloud my judgement. As long as it makes the power, its bad ***.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by diambo4life
Its your opinion that they are "SICK". Why do you feel the need to push it on everyone else?? Basically you're saying that if someone's opinion in regards to Supras differs from yours, they are wrong. THAT is ignorant.

Supras are overhyped. And if you think there is no penalty for having an engine with half the displacement and 2 less cylinder than a V8, well you're really clueless. Supras have horrible turbo lag, even in stock form they are pretty laggy. That means no low end power, because you're basically driving a low compression straight 6. Meaning in lower RPM's, it has similar power characteristics of an old 90HP Chevy 250 Inline 6, only without the torque that engine has. And as for sound, I've heard tractors that sounded better.

If you like Supras then fine, but don't call other people out because they don't share the same opinion as you. You can't make people respect something, they will only give respect where they feel it is due.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Its your opinion that they are "SICK". Why do you feel the need to push it on everyone else?? Basically you're saying that if someone's opinion in regards to Supras differs from yours, they are wrong. THAT is ignorant.

Supras are overhyped. And if you think there is no penalty for having an engine with half the displacement and 2 less cylinder than a V8, well you're really clueless. Supras have horrible turbo lag, even in stock form they are pretty laggy. That means no low end power, because you're basically driving a low compression straight 6. Meaning in lower RPM's, it has similar power characteristics of an old 90HP Chevy 250 Inline 6, only without the torque that engine has. And as for sound, I've heard tractors that sounded better.

If you like Supras then fine, but don't call other people out because they don't share the same opinion as you. You can't make people respect something, they will only give respect where they feel it is due.
Everyone's entitled to their own opinions. You seem to have a problem passing off your opinions as FACTS, which they arent.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Wesman,

that's pretty funny. I heard a cammed C5 with straight pipes that should have a John Deere sticker on it. cause it sounded like a tractor. The question now is.. have you owned a supra? Or is this opinion stemming from one Supra that you rode in that happened to suck. I am just curious where your coming to your conclusion that the supra is laggy even when stock.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:02 PM
Teching In

I agree with what you are saying but just because a motor has been turbocharged doesn't mean it's a great powerplant. That's a misnomer. Just like an LS1/LS2/LS7 are V8s and are badass doesn't mean that all V8's are badass. That's why I made that earlier statement. The point I was attempting to make was the 2JZ is an impressive powerplant because it was fortified very well from the factory and can make crazy amounts of power. Me saying this does not mean that I'm saying the LS7 sucks. I think the LS7 is an impressive motor but I understand we are on an LS1 site and that my 2JZ-loving comment may be seen as antagonistic by some of the members here whose views on automobiles in general are myopic.

Thanks for the compliment on my car.

Its your opinion that they are "SICK". Why do you feel the need to push it on everyone else??

Yes, it is MY opinion. Just like you had your opinion that they "SUCK." Why is it you view my opinion as "pushing" to others while you don't see your own in the same light? Isn't that hypocritical?

Basically you're saying that if someone's opinion in regards to Supras differs from yours, they are wrong. THAT is ignorant.
No. It just means I do not share their opinion. That's why it's called an opinion. It does not have to be agreeable. I'm entitled to disagree with someone else's opinion. Opinions are not necessarily facts. You don't seem to have the ability to discern the difference.

Supras are overhyped. And if you think there is no penalty for having an engine with half the displacement and 2 less cylinder than a V8, well you're really clueless.

That is your own disjointed interpretation. I simply implied the motor can make tremendous amount of power with very little work to the bottom end. The Terminators can do the same. WTF talked about penalties? Only you. Of course displacement is a handicap (on any car) because it's directly related to the max amount of power a motor can make whether it's force induced or not. I was being objective and stating some irrefutable facts. It's not my opinion that Supras make big power. It's a fact that they do. One just made 1,600RWHP+ this past weekend at the TX2009 event. That is not impressive to you I guess.....it is to me from a straight 6 with less than 4.0L.

Supras have horrible turbo lag, even in stock form they are pretty laggy. That means no low end power, because you're basically driving a low compression straight 6. Meaning in lower RPM's, it has similar power characteristics of an old 90HP Chevy 250 Inline 6, only without the torque that engine has. And as for sound, I've heard tractors that sounded better.
What does that have to do with the max. power potential of the car? Nothing. When you are RACING down the track, the motor is not at 1,500rpm. Smaller motors take advantage of RPM to make power. Of course it will not make the same amount of a TQ at low RPM as a bigger displacement motor would. Of course it will have turbo lag. This is not exactly news and I'm not exactly sure of it's relevance in a RACING-themed thread. About sound quality, that is your own subjective opinion as well. I personally love how they sound. The Z's sound sick too.

If you like Supras then fine, but don't call other people out because they don't share the same opinion as you.
That's funny. I could say the same thing about you with the following statement...

"If you don't like Supras then fine, but don't call other people out because they don't share the same opinion as you."

You can't make people respect something, they will only give respect where they feel it is due.
This is the only statement that I can agree with. However, I was not telling anyone to respect anything. I want people to be objective when comparing different items. You can not analyze something subjectively and claim them as facts like you so oftenly do. You are a well documented import auto hater. You are the last person I would expect an objective/unbiased assessment from in an import/domestic thread. You seem to forget that I have stated I like both the C6Z and the Supra but yet, you seem to attack me for liking the Supra and not for liking the C6Z. Hmmmm...
Old 03-25-2009, 03:19 PM
12 Second Club

Old 03-25-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like both Supra's and Z's. I think the problem you run into with the Supra is the same one you run into with turbo car. If you want to make big power you run a big turbo. As I'm sure most people know its a trade off; bigger turbos make more power but they take longer to spool. This doesn't bother some people "no big deal just pull another gear" but it did me. My WRX had nothing below 3500 rpm after that it ran good, but it still sucked. I guess it all just depends on what you like and what you prefer. I like the Cobra pretty good right now.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:47 PM
10 Second Club

very nice...how much do Supras weigh?
Old 03-25-2009, 09:00 PM
S2K
On The Tree

Location: Bristol, TN/Knoxville, TN/Mooresville, NC/Phoenix, AZ

Originally Posted by 02txceta
very nice...how much do Supras weigh?
A bit less than 3,500.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Regular

Awesome... a 2jz can make well over 1000hp with all the bells and whistles.
The Buick 3.8 and typhoon/Cyclone 262ci turbo v6 can do this as well, so what's so amazing?
In fact I would rather build up the latter, two heads>1 and there's potentially over 1 liter more displacement...

In fact, as far as all out builds are concerned, the 2jz is pretty far behind other motors...

I don't care how many cylinders a car has. The only thing I don't like about the Supra is its exhaust note. Actually, I don't dislike it, I just prefer the sound of a V8...
Now the sound of a 4 banger, 4g63 or otherwise, I can't stand. I think driving my dsm over 1200 miles was enough to make me abhor that awful sound.

Also, as rocksws6 sort of said and as UNIT has said in the past, I would much rather have displacement and boost.
The 2jz can handle the boost, but it's limited to 3.4l.

Also, I "respect" the supra. Well, as much as you can respect a car...

Last edited by DiscerningZ32; 03-25-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:17 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

8 pages, really? We will never ever get this time back.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
That's what happens when people feel the need to "defend" cars and start talking about "respecting" cars...

Blah, blah, blah...
Old 03-25-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Its kind of funny sometimes. In this case not, but sometimes.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:57 PM
***Repost Police***

When did Wesman come back from timeout?

Quick Reply: Stock C6 Z06 vs 550 rwhp Supra