Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

6.0 GTO VS 97 Cobra ends in .....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 6.0 GTO VS 97 Cobra ends in .....

On my way to meet up with a few friends to go cruising since the weather finally broke. Pulled the Mustang out of the garage and started towards the highway. Spot an older guy in a blacked out 6.0 GTO A4 (could tell by the hood and badges) and asked if he wanted a friendly run if he's headed I55north. He agrees and he finishes up and we head to the interstate.

With a wide berth up the interstate we line them up..... no honks as he's agreed to give me the hit from a 40 roll until we make it to a bridge a lil more than a 1mile away.

I take the hit and I get out a car on him and hit 2nd... still have my lead but I can tell that once I hit 3rd that he's probably going to come back on me. Shifting into 3rd I notice something odd.. the hood is up a little on one side but keep racing. Wind out 3rd and somewhere north of 110mph he's up a 1/4 car and all of a sudden the unthinkable happens............

My hood latch breaks and slams my hood into my windshield. In an instance it then breaks off and I see it flying through the air behind me. We're both on the brakes hard and I take the next exit cursing myself and my car. He follows making sure everything is alright before pulling off and I just pull the hood off the interstate and head home...... Not only did I lose but now I have to replace my hood and windshield.

Last edited by 94Mustang302ci; 03-16-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Launching!

wow that really sucks, damn man its happened to me too and i wouldn't wish it on anyone. well guess you gotta look on the bright side, you didn't wreck or get hurt, you just gotta spend some cash. it didn't dent your roof up did it, and how about where the hinges mounted did that get all torn out of shape, did on mine.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

At least you were losing. It would've made it even worse if your hood came off and hit his car. That's a bummer, man. Good luck getting back on the road.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

I should have it back up and running by Tuesday. I'm glad I was losing and it didn't his car up or anyone else for that matter. It didn't tear the hood hinges thank God. I have a very small dent on the roof of the are and that's about it. New hood is $265.00 and a windshield is $187. 3
Old 03-16-2009, 12:15 AM
12 Second Club

That's what you get for sucking all those fellows' doors off.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

damn if that happened to me id probably have to replace my pride as well. that had to be embarrassing. glad it didnt do any permanent damage though, except to your pride. haha jk
Old 03-16-2009, 01:19 AM
10 Second Club

Dude that sucks at least you and nobody else got hurt. Check with insurance in Florida state law says the insurance company has to replace a broken windshield with no deductible.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RaggedRides
That's what you get for sucking all those fellows' doors off.
Thats what i was thinking hahaha. "God" punished you for blowing away some many f bodies with the blazing 106mph traps.

But in all seriousness I wish u the best. Windshields arent all that expensive so it shouldnt be that big of a deal if you can find a hood.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:41 AM
Banned

LOL, he sucked your hood off he went by you so fast....I had I fiberglass hood fly off before because I forgot to put the pins in.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:58 AM
Staging Lane

NewSkool * well my deductible is $0 which would mean I wouldn't pay for a new windshield but someone @ Allstate f**ked up my policy. I called and had them fix the wrong information as they haven't been giving me my multi policy discount for my house/cars/bike. They spelled the last name on my homeowner's policy wrong and it wouldn't go through in their system. After I got all that straight they transferred me to the division that handles glass claims and refuse to replace it without the $500 deduct because the loss occurred under the old policy.

So I'll be calling them back today so we can get this straight.

DownSouthws6* Yeah my pride feels like and right now. But it happens... at least I got rid of that silly SVO hood.

RaggedRides*
Old 03-16-2009, 07:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 94Mustang302ci
NewSkool * well my deductible is $0 which would mean I wouldn't pay for a new windshield but someone @ Allstate f**ked up my policy. I called and had them fix the wrong information as they haven't been giving me my multi policy discount for my house/cars/bike. They spelled the last name on my homeowner's policy wrong and it wouldn't go through in their system. After I got all that straight they transferred me to the division that handles glass claims and refuse to replace it without the $500 deduct because the loss occurred under the old policy.

Leave it to insurance companys to give you a hard time and try to weasel out of fixing ****...but they have no problem collecting your money every month.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:59 AM
11 Second Club

Aftermarket hood = Hood pins. Regardless if the latch is working properly. My latch works great on my CF hood but I still added a hood pin.

Good death and destruction. Ditch those 3.73's though.

-Mark
Old 03-16-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
Aftermarket hood = Hood pins. Regardless if the latch is working properly. My latch works great on my CF hood but I still added a hood pin.

-Mark
4.30's or more for sure
Nice run OP. I had a hood fly up on an old 5.0 of mine way back in the day because I forgot to fully latch it but it did a LOT more damage to the windshield than yours did
Old 03-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

-Mark
3.73's are staying... I plan on getting a blower someday. The original plan was to build a stout 5.4 4v backed with a T-56 and 4.56's. That's before I knew the cost of building mod motors. (man i miss my old 5.0).

Just got off the phone with Allstate. I will be paying for my windshield since a policy claim isn't retroactive.

However, them messing up my coverages is, which means I'll get a $50 credit for the past 6months on my homeowners and a $73 credit for my auto policy which is $123 so all I'll really be spending for a windshield is roughly $60 bucks.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:17 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 94Mustang302ci
3.73's are staying... I plan on getting a blower someday. The original plan was to build a stout 5.4 4v backed with a T-56 and 4.56's. That's before I knew the cost of building mod motors. (man i miss my old 5.0).
You're still undergeared even with the blower w/ 3.73's. I plan on putting 4.10's when my novi goes on. At 7k w/ a 26" tire you can go up to 132mph with 4.10's. That'll take close to 600rwhp to trap that so thats why you can gear these cars higher. Its not a 5.0. You need to spin it. -Mark
Old 03-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

You're still undergeared even with the blower w/ 3.73's. I plan on putting 4.10's when my novi goes on. At 7k w/ a 26" tire you can go up to 132mph with 4.10's. That'll take close to 600rwhp to trap that so thats why you can gear these cars higher. Its not a 5.0. You need to spin it. -Mark
My goals for the car only include mid 11's. That much horsepower for me would not be a good thing. I plan on stepping up to a big boy bike for really going fast GSXR750 stepping up to a Hayabusa when money permits.

I do appreciate the advice though..... 600rwhp for me would be a little too much at least till i get the skill needed to control the car.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Teching In

You definitely ought to spend an additional $40 bucks or so for a set of hood pins. I think that's one of the cheapest and best investments I've made on my car. They not only look good, they keep the hood where it belongs, and not sailing through the air down the Interstate!
Old 03-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

dang man that sucks and I hate it happened! I bet that scared the crap out of you, what a sucky day.

With that said, I guess your sig has a whole new meaning huh? That guy with the GTO is going to put "Sucking the hoods off Mustangs since 2009!"
Old 03-16-2009, 12:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Creman
dang man that sucks and I hate it happened! I bet that scared the crap out of you, what a sucky day.

With that said, I guess your sig has a whole new meaning huh? That guy with the GTO is going to put "Sucking the hoods off Mustangs since 2009!"
haha with a sig like he's got, he's gotta expect the chevy guys to say things back to him like this.

OP - sorry to hear that man did you **** your pants too? cause i was in a buddies maxima when his hood flew up like that, but it was on a curving on ramp for the freeway, long story short i think i seriously almost **** my pants, got a little squirt

worst part was he had a moon roof and the hood smashed that **** right back into the car so glass was everywhere! EPIC FAIL
Old 03-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
haha with a sig like he's got, he's gotta expect the chevy guys to say things back to him like this.

OP - sorry to hear that man did you **** your pants too? cause i was in a buddies maxima when his hood flew up like that, but it was on a curving on ramp for the freeway, long story short i think i seriously almost **** my pants, got a little squirt

worst part was he had a moon roof and the hood smashed that **** right back into the car so glass was everywhere! EPIC FAIL
Nah I didn't **** my pants.... with the hood popping up a little at first I had prepared myself for the split second later destruction. I know I'd catch some heat from the sig but its all in fun...that's why I love this board so much. Plus I have pics of Jay's ole lady! http://www.megic.1go.dk/dontclickeng.htm