Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ran a vortech gt last night

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009 | 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've seen some newer Shelbys boasting 800+rwhp I'd be scared of. These are guys running the Whipples and Kenne Bell blowers. These blowers are puttin the **** to the engine LONG before a centrifugal can even wind up to efficiency in a street race.
That '01 with the Vortech was probably one of the non-intercooled kits. Effective intercooling is the determining factor in how much boost and timing you can put to the engine.. tuning or not. Tuning helps...but.. without good intercooling a centrifugal is just a forced hot air intake system. lol
Nice kill...
Old 03-26-2009 | 12:48 PM
On The Tree

weird how u pulled that hard with less power and you don't weigh any less...good kill none the less
Old 03-26-2009 | 12:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Very nice kill.

I raced a turbo foxbody and he could only get 2 cars on my near stock 93 lol
Ummmmm

Sounds like you got ahold of a stock Fox Body
Old 03-26-2009 | 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ponygt65
+1.

Maybe I just appreciate the simple things in life too much, but 375+rwhp is still nothing to balk at.
I have beat 2 vortech gt's with stall/gear/bolt ons. And you have seen me post before im not an idiot. They honestly dont seem to run very well for the numbers they put down.
Old 03-26-2009 | 01:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by w3s1c0a5t
I have beat 2 vortech gt's with stall/gear/bolt ons. And you have seen me post before im not an idiot. They honestly dont seem to run very well for the numbers they put down.
Maybe your car has something to do with it. With your mods you would be very quick and consistant, leaving a very small window for errors on a manual transmission car's driver.
Old 03-26-2009 | 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Maybe your car has something to do with it. With your mods you would be very quick and consistant, leaving a very small window for errors on a manual transmission car's driver.
I'd love for that to be why... i agree on the auto part.

But they didnt pull on the top near what i thought they would. But driver is a huge key. Especially on that setup i would assume.
Old 03-26-2009 | 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by ponygt65
WOW...what an idiot. swapped pulleys and pump gas and didn't change the tune?
Something else I just thought (just speculation). Do the Vortech kits ever come with a programmer or anything with a preloaded tune? The car was pretty much a stock NA Saleen except for the blower. I'm sure the smaller pulley and race gas tune were custom, but maybe it came with a preloaded tune for the blower with the basic pulley and he reinstalled that tune when he swapped pulleys. I'm not sure though.
Old 03-26-2009 | 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Something else I just thought (just speculation). Do the Vortech kits ever come with a programmer or anything with a preloaded tune? The car was pretty much a stock NA Saleen except for the blower. I'm sure the smaller pulley and race gas tune were custom, but maybe it came with a preloaded tune for the blower with the basic pulley and he reinstalled that tune when he swapped pulleys. I'm not sure though.
How about they only came with Vortech's less than optimally efficient water to air intercooler, if any intercooler at all. High intake temps don't do **** for being able to run full timing under boost. Add shitty premium gas and a cookie cutter tune and he's going to play hell keeping up with a mildly modded LS with precise tune. Seriously unfair to the Stang..
Set her up with a nice front mount air to air intercooler so she can breath free and cool air and run full timing, a cam designed for the blower, and a drive pulley that will put the max efficiency rpm at the top of her powerband and look the f*** out. You'll have a Ford up your *** real quick.
Laugh. But that guy probably bought the cheapest blower kit he could find and mounted it without supporting or matching mods.
Old 03-26-2009 | 11:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 108dragon
I've seen some newer Shelbys boasting 800+rwhp I'd be scared of. These are guys running the Whipples and Kenne Bell blowers. These blowers are puttin the **** to the engine LONG before a centrifugal can even wind up to efficiency in a street race.
That '01 with the Vortech was probably one of the non-intercooled kits. Effective intercooling is the determining factor in how much boost and timing you can put to the engine.. tuning or not. Tuning helps...but.. without good intercooling a centrifugal is just a forced hot air intake system. lol
Nice kill...
Spoken like someone who has never owned or driven a centrifical blower car. Centrificals are great for the street, not overpowering the tires instantaneously like the twin screws. With my converter my blower spools up immediatly when I punch it. The guy the OP raced didn't know what he was doing, neither did the tuner. That car shouldn't have even been dynoed with the stock MAF. To tell you the truth I can't believe he pulled those numbers without a After market MAF. I added a MAFIA even before my car went to the dyno. Good kill anyway OP. A properly set up SC 2V is no slouch, unless the driver is a complete ***, it's gonna take alot more than a lid and exhaust on an LT1 to beat it.

Last edited by Newskool Mach; 03-26-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-26-2009 | 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good kill. Has anyone mentioned that Mustangs are slow?
Old 03-26-2009 | 11:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Newskool Mach
Spoken like someone who has never owned or driven a centrifical blower car. Centrificals are great for the street, not overpowering the tires instantaneously like the twin screws. With my converter my blower spools up immediatly when I punch it.
Actually 108dragon's post was dead on. And I have to disagree with you. A roots type blower, good N/A setup, or turbo would be hands, feet, and arms better than a centri blower for a daily driver. Daily driving torque is what makes it nice and that is something a centri blower lacks. (Don't post dyno sheets of centri blown cars, I own one) And your blower does not "spool" up at all. It makes peak boost at your redline just like every other centri blower setup.
Old 03-26-2009 | 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Spoken like someone who has never owned or driven a centrifical blower car. Centrificals are great for the street, not overpowering the tires instantaneously like the twin screws. With my converter my blower spools up immediatly when I punch it. The guy the OP raced didn't know what he was doing, neither did the tuner. That car shouldn't have even been dynoed with the stock MAF. To tell you the truth I can't believe he pulled those numbers without a After market MAF. I added a MAFIA even before my car went to the dyno. Good kill anyway OP. A properly set up SC 2V is no slouch, unless the driver is a complete ***, it's gonna take alot more than a lid and exhaust on an LT1 to beat it.
I know that the guy driving the car isnt the brightest guy in the world by any means. He can drive decent but nothing spectacular at all. His tuner though is very capable. Ive seen some of the cars that he has done in person and he def knows what he is doing. He told the owner of the car that he needs a new maf because that stock one is maxed out. This is all from the driver of the mustang and he could be bullshitting me about the person who tuned it all together lol. He contradicts himself a lot when you talk to him. One day its this story and the next its another lol.
Old 03-26-2009 | 11:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Skeet Skeet
I know that the guy driving the car isnt the brightest guy in the world by any means. He can drive decent but nothing spectacular at all. His tuner though is very capable. Ive seen some of the cars that he has done in person and he def knows what he is doing. He told the owner of the car that he needs a new maf because that stock one is maxed out. This is all from the driver of the mustang and he could be bullshitting me about the person who tuned it all together lol. He contradicts himself a lot when you talk to him. One day its this story and the next its another lol.
Who gives a ****? Bottom line is you won and thats that. I think everyone giving you hell and reasons for why you won need to suck it up. I personally have never seen a fast 2V SOHC. I'm sure they are out there but hell, I'm sure somewhere there is buried treasure too. There just isn't alot of it.
Old 03-26-2009 | 11:46 PM
Launching!
15 Year Member

nice kill man
Old 03-26-2009 | 11:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry pinkass. Not my first rodeo. This will be my second centrifugal. It would be on the 427cid in the car now if I hadn't trashed my differential... which is probably a good thing. I'll have it replaced with a Strange 12 bolt by the time I have to contend with Mustangs like yours. How your centrifugal spools has less than nothing to do with my point. YOUR setup is case in point. ALL Procharger kits come with VERY EFFICIENT air to air intercoolers. Without it, I don't care if you have a MAF made by GOD himself. Your intake air temp will be too high to run optimal timing or any appreciable amount of boost.
If your Procharger spools because you chose the right converter, than lucky you. You chose the correct SUPPORTING mods... which was my other point.
I have always run roots type blowers. The only reason I chose the Paxton Novi2000RR I have now is that I can't find a screw or roots type that is efficient for use with a 427cid (i.e. big enough not to run out of air on the top end) AND will fit without hacking the crap out of my Z28. Comparison between roots and centrifugals is as "apple and orange" as one between roots and turbo. Any can be made to work with any application. The only universal truth between all these forced induction systems is the requirement of a good intercooler is absolute necessity in order to push boost and timing to optimal without detonation.
I have a VERY healthy respect for the modern Ford Mustang. I have seen a lot of guys failboat Fbodies and Vettes with the wrong combo of mods and bad tuning too. Ignorant underestimation of your opponent is the surest way to lose in ANY competition.
BTW the Kenne Bell and Whipple Mustangs I'm talking about are fully and professionally suspension modded to put every ft/lb of torque they instantly make to the ground. By the next light, that race is over. THAT is what makes them dangerous to me in a street race. And THAT is why I chose to go with cubes AND a centrifugal. Might even the odds a bit.
Old 03-26-2009 | 11:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

^ I had a feeling from the first post above that this cat knew what he was talking about. Not sure wtf Newskool was thinking.
Old 03-27-2009 | 12:03 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Actually 108dragon's post was dead on. And I have to disagree with you. A roots type blower, good N/A setup, or turbo would be hands, feet, and arms better than a centri blower for a daily driver. Daily driving torque is what makes it nice and that is something a centri blower lacks. (Don't post dyno sheets of centri blown cars, I own one) And your blower does not "spool" up at all. It makes peak boost at your redline just like every other centri blower setup.
I stand corrected on the "spool" term. Old turbo guy from way back. I have owned turbos, although I have never had a roots blower I have driven my friends whippled Cobra 748 RWHP. Unless he runs from a 30 or so roll even with DR's there is now way not to spin, power is just instantanous. I just like the way my power sought of just rolls on, if you know what I mean. Just an opinion I guess. And there is a guy down here with a 500 rwhp 2 valve in the 10's. His car is set up nice and some weight reduction so I know for a fact there are fast 2v's.
Old 03-27-2009 | 12:10 AM
10 Second Club

Sorry pinkass. Not my first rodeo. This will be my second centrifugal. It would be on the 427cid in the car now if I hadn't trashed my differential... which is probably a good thing. I'll have it replaced with a Strange 12 bolt by the time I have to contend with Mustangs like yours. How your centrifugal spools has less than nothing to do with my point. YOUR setup is case in point. ALL Procharger kits come with VERY EFFICIENT air to air intercoolers. Without it, I don't care if you have a MAF made by GOD himself. Your intake air temp will be too high to run optimal timing or any appreciable amount of boost.
If your Procharger spools because you chose the right converter, than lucky you. You chose the correct SUPPORTING mods... which was my other point.
I have always run roots type blowers. The only reason I chose the Paxton Novi2000RR I have now is that I can't find a screw or roots type that is efficient for use with a 427cid (i.e. big enough not to run out of air on the top end) AND will fit without hacking the crap out of my Z28. Comparison between roots and centrifugals is as "apple and orange" as one between roots and turbo. Any can be made to work with any application. The only universal truth between all these forced induction systems is the requirement of a good intercooler is absolute necessity in order to push boost and timing to optimal without detonation.
I have a VERY healthy respect for the modern Ford Mustang. I have seen a lot of guys failboat Fbodies and Vettes with the wrong combo of mods and bad tuning too. Ignorant underestimation of your opponent is the surest way to lose in ANY competition.
BTW the Kenne Bell and Whipple Mustangs I'm talking about are fully and professionally suspension modded to put every ft/lb of torque they instantly make to the ground. By the next light, that race is over. THAT is what makes them dangerous to me in a street race. And THAT is why I chose to go with cubes AND a centrifugal. Might even the odds a bit.
Take it easy bro, I get your point. You are absolutely right about intercooling and boost. I have a three core inter cooler and it is efficient. And you are right on with no matter what you are running it doesn't matter how much HP you have if you can't put it to the ground. You know what they say about opinions. I guess I have just experienced more properly set up centrifical cars then roots cars. You learn something every day.
Old 03-27-2009 | 12:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

I stand corrected on the "spool" term. Old turbo guy from way back. I have owned turbos, although I have never had a roots blower I have driven my friends whippled Cobra 748 RWHP. Unless he runs from a 30 or so roll even with DR's there is now way not to spin, power is just instantanous. I just like the way my power sought of just rolls on, if you know what I mean. Just an opinion I guess. And there is a guy down here with a 500 rwhp 2 valve in the 10's. His car is set up nice and some weight reduction so I know for a fact there are fast 2v's.
I'm going to share something with you guys. Not my shining moment. But a true story and the reason I say the things I do:
It was 1986 in Long Beach. I was running my '68 Firebird I had since jr. high school. She was a 400 RA, forged lower, ported and polished RA heads, and a then BDS blower. Pontaic perfomance engines were known for thier ruthless low end and the blower consistantly put me in the 11s. We raced for pinks or hundred dollar bills back then. This particular time, it was pinks. Pulled up next to a VW bug. I was inexperienced with them and had no idea what I was listening to. The way some of the guys were laughing I should have pussed out. I launched hard, but got a lot of wheel spin. I was running the old Halibrands but had BF Goodrich TAs. Bad choice. The VW launched harder, put everything she had to the ground, and killed me by two car lengths. He was nice to me and let me buy my car back for $2k... the cost of my ignorance and impetuance.
Turns out the VW was running a Porsche Carrera twin turbo engine. Heavily modded and dressed to be a sleeper. Alston Suspension, out of Texas, completely built the suspension to put everything that engine had to the ground. I was beaten by superior power to weight ratio combined with superior suspension mods. She was built to be a predator. And that was a lesson I NEVER forgot.
Old 03-27-2009 | 01:10 AM
10 Second Club

I'm going to share something with you guys. Not my shining moment. But a true story and the reason I say the things I do:
It was 1986 in Long Beach. I was running my '68 Firebird I had since jr. high school. She was a 400 RA, forged lower, ported and polished RA heads, and a then BDS blower. Pontaic perfomance engines were known for thier ruthless low end and the blower consistantly put me in the 11s. We raced for pinks or hundred dollar bills back then. This particular time, it was pinks. Pulled up next to a VW bug. I was inexperienced with them and had no idea what I was listening to. The way some of the guys were laughing I should have pussed out. I launched hard, but got a lot of wheel spin. I was running the old Halibrands but had BF Goodrich TAs. Bad choice. The VW launched harder, put everything she had to the ground, and killed me by two car lengths. He was nice to me and let me buy my car back for $2k... the cost of my ignorance and impetuance.
Turns out the VW was running a Porsche Carrera twin turbo engine. Heavily modded and dressed to be a sleeper. Alston Suspension, out of Texas, completely built the suspension to put everything that engine had to the ground. I was beaten by superior power to weight ratio combined with superior suspension mods. She was built to be a predator. And that was a lesson I NEVER forgot.
Wow great story. My dad (rest his soul) told me never to underestimate an opponent. I know exactly what you mean. I got into my share of street racing also. I had a 70 429 CJ Torino 4 Speed 4.56 gears. It had a pretty hot Crane cam, ported heads I was the only guy in the neighbor hood that had a 12 second slip and never lost a street race. To say I was cocky was an understatement. My friends and I were hanging out at a place called Masters in N.Y. where all the races originated. A guy we had never seen before comes up in a 68 or 69 340 dart. He was a brick mason and used the car to haul tools and bags of cement and it looked like crap. The car sounded good though and he said he would race, but no less than $500 which was a hell of alot in 79'. I took up a collection from my buddys and somehow got the race was on. I got him off the line and I was counting the money in my head. NO way was he gonna track me down. All of a sudden he's pulling me by the end of the race (probably a little longer than a 1/4) he's got me by 4 cars. I hand him the money, sick to my stomach, and I asked him what he had. He says to me "wouldn't you like to know?" and took off. Never saw him again and never found out. It eats at me to this day. Never asked him to see under the hood.

Sorry for the hijack OP.