Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ran a vortech gt last night

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 01:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its ok I like to hear these stories lol no offense by that. I wish you guys didnt loose your money but it makes for a good story when your older lol
Old 03-27-2009, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by 108dragon
How about they only came with Vortech's less than optimally efficient water to air intercooler, if any intercooler at all. High intake temps don't do **** for being able to run full timing under boost. Add shitty premium gas and a cookie cutter tune and he's going to play hell keeping up with a mildly modded LS with precise tune. Seriously unfair to the Stang..
Set her up with a nice front mount air to air intercooler so she can breath free and cool air and run full timing, a cam designed for the blower, and a drive pulley that will put the max efficiency rpm at the top of her powerband and look the f*** out. You'll have a Ford up your *** real quick.
Laugh. But that guy probably bought the cheapest blower kit he could find and mounted it without supporting or matching mods.
Umm...I'm not sure if you're trying to be helpful or trying to bash me. I'm guessing you were trying to help. I don't know exactly what kit was on the car and I'm only going by what I can remember. Anything else is speculation on my part (as stated previously). I definitely know that a properly setup, blown 2V GT will beat a mildly modded LS1. The only point to my story was that not all of them are setup correctly (the same point that you were making) and not all the owners tell the truth about their numbers. Just trying to back up the OP's story
Old 03-27-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Umm...I'm not sure if you're trying to be helpful or trying to bash me. I'm guessing you were trying to help. I don't know exactly what kit was on the car and I'm only going by what I can remember. Anything else is speculation on my part (as stated previously). I definitely know that a properly setup, blown 2V GT will beat a mildly modded LS1. The only point to my story was that not all of them are setup correctly (the same point that you were making) and not all the owners tell the truth about their numbers. Just trying to back up the OP's story
I didn't mean it to sound like I was bashing you. I apologize if I did. I think you're right about the blown 2v GTs in general. The most likely reason that Mustang didn't kill the OP was it wasn't set up right/optimally. Most likely culprits are 1: Most of those older Vortech kits were simply the most inexpensive kits in any catalog. This was primarily due to the fact that they either did not include intercooling or (a little more expensive kit option) had thier water to air cooling kit. That water cooling kit was notoriously inadequate/inconsistant. I've installed a few and wasn't real impressed. Thier kits are of late are much more competitive as they have introduced an air to air intercooler. Procharger rates thier horsepower gains at 50%-85% with thier air to air, as opposed to 35%-65% with air to water. That 65% with air to water is assuming ice in the system, very rich air to fuel ratio, and a right on tune. A conservative estimate is more like 30%-45%. I've never owned a Vortech kit. So I'm not sure if the blowers they sell in thier kits are anywhere near as efficient as Procharger's. 2: With the "tuner" kits, there aren't many people who get the "tuner" part down. Most either run the blower too lean (increase boost with out proper fuel support), don't back off on thier timing with thier non intercooled kits, or totally rely on the kits "safety net" puss timing/tune. Either way I have NEVER seen a serious street or strip competitor running a stock boost kit. The first two scenarios are grenades and the last is a car that will never see its potential. Point is, the three keys to max efficiency forced induction are effective/consistant intercooling, proper fuel enrichment, and precise timing curve/tuning. Supporting mods can never hurt. -Please let me know if anyone has any information to the contrary. This is all just my personal experience.
There are quite a few guys here on LS1tech that REALLY know thier $h*t. Their cars are testaments of the true capabilities of the LS engine and forced induction. Some of these cars are pushing upwards of 1000 hp or more and are being driven to work and school on a daily basis. What these guys and gals have in common is that they do not skimp on intercooling, fuel enrichment, tuning, or support mods.
Also depends on your definition of "mildly modded". The stock LS engine will take 550hp and there are a lot of us right here that are pushing between 400 to 500 without even introducing forced induction to the equation. For US, that IS "mildly modded" and more than a match for anything else in that range.
I had to dig it up, but this is a page from Procharger's documentation.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

How about they only came with Vortech's less than optimally efficient water to air intercooler, if any intercooler at all. High intake temps don't do **** for being able to run full timing under boost. Add shitty premium gas and a cookie cutter tune and he's going to play hell keeping up with a mildly modded LS with precise tune. Seriously unfair to the Stang..
Set her up with a nice front mount air to air intercooler so she can breath free and cool air and run full timing, a cam designed for the blower, and a drive pulley that will put the max efficiency rpm at the top of her powerband and look the f*** out. You'll have a Ford up your *** real quick.
Laugh. But that guy probably bought the cheapest blower kit he could find and mounted it without supporting or matching mods.
Originally Posted by Newskool Mach
Spoken like someone who has never owned or driven a centrifical blower car. Centrificals are great for the street, not overpowering the tires instantaneously like the twin screws. With my converter my blower spools up immediatly when I punch it. The guy the OP raced didn't know what he was doing, neither did the tuner. That car shouldn't have even been dynoed with the stock MAF. To tell you the truth I can't believe he pulled those numbers without a After market MAF. I added a MAFIA even before my car went to the dyno. Good kill anyway OP. A properly set up SC 2V is no slouch, unless the driver is a complete ***, it's gonna take alot more than a lid and exhaust on an LT1 to beat it.
You're both right. Just different points that really don't coincide.

108dragon - Don't forget about Vortech's Aftercoolers. I prefer air to air I/C's myself, but wanted to point that out for those that aren't too familiar.
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Actually 108dragon's post was dead on. And I have to disagree with you. A roots type blower, good N/A setup, or turbo would be hands, feet, and arms better than a centri blower for a daily driver. Daily driving torque is what makes it nice and that is something a centri blower lacks. (Don't post dyno sheets of centri blown cars, I own one) And your blower does not "spool" up at all. It makes peak boost at your redline just like every other centri blower setup.
That's personal preference though K. Some people like the low end TQ of a PD blower. For a DD and occasional track visit, I'd take a centrif. Of course, I wouldn't balk at a PD either, jsut preference.
Originally Posted by Skeet Skeet
I know that the guy driving the car isnt the brightest guy in the world by any means. He can drive decent but nothing spectacular at all. His tuner though is very capable. Ive seen some of the cars that he has done in person and he def knows what he is doing. He told the owner of the car that he needs a new maf because that stock one is maxed out. This is all from the driver of the mustang and he could be bullshitting me about the person who tuned it all together lol. He contradicts himself a lot when you talk to him. One day its this story and the next its another lol.
The mere fact that the tuner tuned the car with the stock MAF, makes me wonder. Then again, he could have just done with the customer wanted against 'ideal' suggestion. main point is, that GT owner is a tard.

I agree. Unfortunately, 2V's are like Foxes. They are 'decently' cheap power so alot of 'younger' ignorant guys get them and just start throwing stuff at it without doing their research. Just like a Fox, a properly setup 2V can be nasty. I think that's why most 2v's and basic foxes give mustang guys a bad name.......all the ignorant youth that have no idea what they are doing/talking about and they run their mouth.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its strange, but the majority of my competition around here is from the other LS pilots. The power band with all LS engines is easy to find, w i d e, and brutal. I've beaten a lot of other "better" cars simply because I put my car into the 410hp upper powerband as fast as I can and keep her there. I'm sure the OP and the rest of you can say the same. There aren't any wierd power dips, spikes, and inconsistancies with a good, well built, N/A LS engine. Barring shift errors on M6 cars, it's hard to **** that up. lol
A guy brought a Mitsubishi 3000GT into my shop a few weeks ago. He pops the hood and shows me a $16k engine with an equally high dollar aftermarket dual turbo setup. Inside of the car looked like NASA mission control central. The owner told me that he was expecting over 450hp after it was tuned. I looked at him with one eyebrow raised. You guys KNOW what I was thinking. I said,"You paid $16k for that?" he said, "yeah. Why?" I said, "Dude... You work at a GM dealership.." He says, "so.." I said, "You shoulda walked up to the parts counter handed them $12k and gotten you an LS7." He said, "WTF is an LS7?" I said, "505hp N/A Vette engine." ...He gave me the "deer in the headlights" look.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:51 PM
***Repost Police***

Pretty hard to put an LS7 in a 3000GT I'd imagine... most people buy a car that they like, and go from there.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its strange, but the majority of my competition around here is from the other LS pilots. The power band with all LS engines is easy to find, w i d e, and brutal. I've beaten a lot of other "better" cars simply because I put my car into the 410hp upper powerband as fast as I can and keep her there. I'm sure the OP and the rest of you can say the same. There aren't any wierd power dips, spikes, and inconsistancies with a good, well built, N/A LS engine. Barring shift errors on M6 cars, it's hard to **** that up. lol
A guy brought a Mitsubishi 3000GT into my shop a few weeks ago. He pops the hood and shows me a $16k engine with an equally high dollar aftermarket dual turbo setup. Inside of the car looked like NASA mission control central. The owner told me that he was expecting over 450hp after it was tuned. I looked at him with one eyebrow raised. You guys KNOW what I was thinking. I said,"You paid $16k for that?" he said, "yeah. Why?" I said, "Dude... You work at a GM dealership.." He says, "so.." I said, "You shoulda walked up to the parts counter handed them $12k and gotten you an LS7." He said, "WTF is an LS7?" I said, "505hp N/A Vette engine." ...He gave me the "deer in the headlights" look.
Although I'm not too familiar with LS motors (I admit) power dips/spikes can and do occur pending tune. Lots of tuners out there that claim to know what they don't. Again, just elaborating on your point a tad.

And holy crap on teh 3000 gt guy. There was a guy that posted on svtp not too long ago with what you describe. Don't suppose it was red with alot of chrome and red under hood dressings was it? LOL
Old 03-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Good God my 5.0 had a fucked up powerband after I put the turbo on.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAHAHAA, priceless!!!!!
Old 03-27-2009, 03:52 PM

I absolutely see proof of you're points on the different kits available and the supporting mods. There seem to be blown 2V GT's around here (stock motor) that are anywhere from 350rwhp to 430+ rwhp. It's all in the parts selected and makes it very hard to judge how fast it's gonna be when you roll up next to one at a light and hear that whine.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I absolutely see proof of you're points on the different kits available and the supporting mods. There seem to be blown 2V GT's around here (stock motor) that are anywhere from 350rwhp to 430+ rwhp. It's all in the parts selected and makes it very hard to judge how fast it's gonna be when you roll up next to one at a light and hear that whine.
Excellent post.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Pretty hard to put an LS7 in a 3000GT I'd imagine... most people buy a car that they like, and go from there.
I'm sure it could be done. It would just take some imagination. But you're right. People buy what they want. This car is proof of that. hahaha

Originally Posted by ponygt65
Although I'm not too familiar with LS motors (I admit) power dips/spikes can and do occur pending tune. Lots of tuners out there that claim to know what they don't. Again, just elaborating on your point a tad.

And holy crap on teh 3000 gt guy. There was a guy that posted on svtp not too long ago with what you describe. Don't suppose it was red with alot of chrome and red under hood dressings was it? LOL
A lot of tuners tune without the benefit of a dyno. That may well be the difference.
I don't think the 3000GT I'm talking about is the same car. I included a shot of it in the body shop right before paint (its in the background). And there are two shots of the top of it in my shop... I ended up having to put it back together after Al Colantuano hack jobbed the paint. Maaco has shot better paint. The owner wanted a newer model front end on it. So I had to fab mounts for the front end, headlights, and running lights. Also had to repair some hack work to the hood.
Al has put out some killer body and paint work. Lately all he has done is **** people off. But that is a story for another thread.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Def. a different one.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Back to the original post; The kill in and of itself is what it is. To gain anything out of it requires analysis of what happened and discussion of why it happened. I think that the op knew his car better and my guess would be that his consistant driving skill with his car is what gave him the win. It sounded as if the upgrades in the Mustang were new(ish) to its driver, it wasn't dialed in (or set up optimally), and/or he didn't keep his engine far enough into it's effective power band to take the op. I'm not saying anything about 2v Mustangs in general -positive or negative. I'm just drawing conclusions from the information presented in this thread.
I also apologize for taking the thread off on a tangent.