Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

98 Trans Am Vs. Duramax Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 03:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Trans Am Vs. Duramax Diesel

Today I installed my B and M supercooler with my buddy earlier today. And when we got finished we took it for a drive and went to the bank, while we were there a red skittle drives by and my buddy wanted to get a run in. So we hop in the car and take off, I get stopped at a light and lose him. I take off from the light puttin her threw the gears and a big lifted duramax diesel truck flies by me getting me to give chase which I do. He soon after pulls into a dealership wanting to talk....
He has a turbo 6.6 liter duramax with a programmer and chip exhaust it was lifted on big ol tires. And that was all I remember.
I told him I just had cat-back, lid, free mods, and supercooler. (FTRA is coming next week). So basically stock.
I asked if he wanted to run them and he eagerly accepted so we went to the highway which was a mile away. It was me and my buddy and him and his wife. So we go from about 65- a little over 120, I gave him the jump I downshifted and took off realing him in quickly and passing with not too much trouble. I got him by about a car to a car and a half. After that we hit traffic and just floored around with me behind catching up when he would take off.
We got off and I gave him alot of praise cuz it was a very nice truck. Afterwards I think he went to Bob Evans for dinner with the wife lol. He said he needed more work on the tune because he was running very lean... Which I believed because of the massive heat wave coming out of his exhaust pipe.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:01 PM

thats pretty good. I have a 2002 duramax crew cab long bed 4x4 with a chip, and from a stop not much could catch me for about 1/8 mile if i launched in 4x4. but now my tranny is to week so the racin days are over.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like you had a fun kill.

He should have asked you to go from a dig. My duramax runs mid 13s at around 100mph. On the street a stock ls1 would have trouble beating me from a dig. From a roll the duramax will do pretty good but it would be a better race with a stockish LT1.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man I got *** raped by a newer lifted Duramax.
He had a 80 ft stack coming out of his bed and got up next to me at a light, I heard his turbo spooling over my loud *** exhaust and a **** ton of black death started flowing from his stack.
As soon as the light turned green he had 2 buses on me while I was spinning...I tried getting next to him to let him know that I was envious but he kept taking off as I got closer.

He must of had over 1000ft lbs of torque.
I wish I had the extra income to own one, they can be a **** load of fun.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

i raced a duramax stock and only pulled a car to like 100
Old 03-29-2009, 11:03 AM
12 Second Club

Ya I wanted to go from a dig but traffic wouldnt allow it. That thing was sweet, hopefully ill c him around town at a light.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a guy here in ardmore used to have a duramax that would put down a low 12 sec in the qtr. he had to put raceing slicks all around. it had a fully built raceing tranny, and i believe somewhere around 1200 allwhp and up towards 1500 tq. he had twin turbos and bigger than stock. that was a hell of a truck to watch launch off the line. it would nearly jump off the pavement when he would do a burnout.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:44 AM
10 Second Club

I had an 06' GMC Duramax. I had an Edge programmer, lid and 5" cat back. Truck made so much torque I sheered the input shaft to the converter in that big Allison. $2200 later I stopped beating the **** our of it. Good kill OP.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Launching!

I raced a GMC duramx one night from a light and we were neck and neck til about 60mph-70mph and then it was a steady walk on my part. It surprised the hell outta me, lol.