Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Easy kill

Old 03-29-2009, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy kill

Okay, I was driving the truck back from a trip to Home Depot where I had picked up 20 sacks of cement and some more coarse and dry aggregate (large and small rock/sand) for some work I'm doing at home, the bed is full, probably 1000lbs minimum in there (maybe even 2000 or more) plus some stuff in the cab (can't get it all in the bed you know). Kinda an attention getter truck, admittedly, bright red 2500 with 8-lugs, a diesel, 4" exhaust (downpipe-back), and a big silver sticker on the rear window "Black Smoke don't mean It Broke". Truck's making some big numbers, propane injection, upgraded turbo, bigger boost numbers, etc. etc.

I pull up to a stop light, and hear this little 4-banger revving next to me. I look over in the mirrors (sorry, can't see them little things) and see this punk in a civic revving his motor and looking at my truck. Up about a 1/2 mile the road narrows down, and following that are a couple nice, sharp turns that I like to take with some speed (45 when the truck's empty, a little slower loaded) while most drivers back off, forcing me to use my brakes (I don't like it...). Plus he was on the passenger side, and my truck's been awful hungry for rice since I last went out for Chinese food, so I figured I'd feed the beast a little.

So, there we sit at the redlight waiting ... the other direction turns yellow, and I barely hear the little 1.6L (or 1.7 or 1.8 or whatever they have on those civics nowadays) over my 6.5L idle. The other direction turns red, and he's bouncing off the limiter as the light goes green for us.

I just STOMP the gas as he continues bouncing off the limiter pulling the little honda forward slowly. By 2500rpm's I've hit 15psi of boost, and activate my propane kit as he sits right next to the exhaust pipe (this is maybe 20-25mph estd. and I've put 12-15ft min. on him) as it spews out soot (I think his car WAS white, would be hard to tell anymore, lol). Top of 1st gear (3500rpms, this is a diesel remember) I feel it SLAM into 2nd, a nice solid shift, as the 6.5 continues droning out the little civic, he's already back a full length. We come around the curve (gentle curve, maybe 2500ft radius min.) which favors his lane, mind you (right turn) at 45mph with me in 2nd, him in 3rd, as I continue walking him, with 2.5 lengths on him by now (keep in mind, I still have all 20 sacks of cement in there!) at just 55mph. 3rd gear just finished the deal, as I came through the last intersection (signal ... it was still green with alot of time left) as the right lane ended. Sure enough, as we reached the curves (I am holding 40mph through the turns) he slows WAY down to 30 or so (speed limit is 45). Felt good all the way home knowing that even with all that equipment (shovels, a new cement mixer, bags upon bags of cement, aggregate, some admixtures, etc.) I had in there, I still was able to take that little civic.

Although my f-body is still in the garage, still without any wiring, this definitely did help some with making up for it. *can't wait to get the f-body back out again*
Old 03-29-2009, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

Nice Kill. Those diesels suprise alot of people. It would have been even better if the ricer had his window down and you filled his interior with black smoke as you kicked his ***
Old 03-29-2009, 01:30 PM
12 Second Club

what year is the 2500? and we are talking about a chevy 2500 correct?

Arent those 6.6L's? the Duramax that is

care to share any power numbers with us thou

ive always wanted a turbo diesel vehicle, hell even if its a VW TDI!
Old 03-29-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dirty Max for the WIN!!!!
Old 03-29-2009, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
what year is the 2500? and we are talking about a chevy 2500 correct?

Arent those 6.6L's? the Duramax that is

care to share any power numbers with us thou

ive always wanted a turbo diesel vehicle, hell even if its a VW TDI!
No, pre-duramaxx. 1995 2500 with a 6.5L (Detroit Diesel), Borg-Warner GM8 turbo (larger for more volume and higher pressure), Borg 4L80E, Borg Torque Converter, and Borg Transfer Case. All borg's have 39,000 miles on them and were all spec'd by me. Also has Marine Injectors, 4" exhaust, Propane (never dyno'd), raised boost levels, intake kit, 3" cross-over, performance chip, upgraded trans cooler, upgraded water pump and radiator, dual alternators (to power all my radio equipment), and a few misc. parts for towing/hauling (i.e. 12,000lb tow bar, gooseneck hitch in bed, extra capacity fuel tank for long highway trips, etc.) plus free-ish mods (i.e. raised boost to 18psi max). Oh yeah, also misc. stuff like a 1-ton rear axle, Rancho shocks (f/r) and nice mudding tires for when I feel like taking it off of the pavement.

Dyno #'s
Torque: 730ft-lb
HP: 500hp
GVWR: 8600lbs
Race Weight w/ driver, some other stuff: 6,900lbs

I'd say it's safe to say, with the amount of propane I'm running, I'm at or above 550hp easily on that. It's got larger injectors (as I said ... marine injectors that are stated to give +60hp) so she's running REAL rich mixture. I'll need to throw the soot trap back on her again ... she's going in for re-inspection in 2 months. Considering this is a truck that wasn't meant to compete with International/Powerstroke and Cummins, she does a mighty fine job competing with my friend's 2003 Cummins 3500 and 2006 Powerstroke F-250! We all race cars at the same tracks, so we'll travel together with our car trailers in tow (mine's the heaviest) and I never have any trouble keeping up with them at all. I've pulled lots of cars out when they slide off the road in the snow, and so many of them ask me if I'm scared I'll break my truck. I never once had to even touch the gas to pull someone out ... just idle it along and it pulls them easily.

I'd recommend staying away from the Detroits. You can see my modification list ... and then the dyno numbers. 730ft-lb torque with $12,000 invested (performance products) in what was a $5,300 truck (original cost + repairs to fix what was wrong when I got it). So, after $18,300+ (actually 24k in the truck so far including later repair bills) I have a truck that matches my friend's chipped + exhaust cummins and another's chipped, marine injectors, and stacks powerstroke. Both have less than 15k in their truck so far. Duramaxx's latest design make very close to the same numbers as I'm making right out of the box with just a tuner. If I could go back in time, I'd definitely go get a cummins, powerstroke, or duramaxx. Don't get me wrong, this truck is fun, but I will never get close to 10k for it if I sell it today, and performance mods are expensive and hard to come by.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by XtremeModifier
No, pre-duramaxx. 1995 2500 with a 6.5L (Detroit Diesel), Borg-Warner GM8 turbo (larger for more volume and higher pressure), Borg 4L80E, Borg Torque Converter, and Borg Transfer Case. All borg's have 39,000 miles on them and were all spec'd by me. Also has Marine Injectors, 4" exhaust, Propane (never dyno'd), raised boost levels, intake kit, 3" cross-over, performance chip, upgraded trans cooler, upgraded water pump and radiator, dual alternators (to power all my radio equipment), and a few misc. parts for towing/hauling (i.e. 12,000lb tow bar, gooseneck hitch in bed, extra capacity fuel tank for long highway trips, etc.) plus free-ish mods (i.e. raised boost to 18psi max). Oh yeah, also misc. stuff like a 1-ton rear axle, Rancho shocks (f/r) and nice mudding tires for when I feel like taking it off of the pavement.

Dyno #'s
Torque: 730ft-lb
HP: 500hp
GVWR: 8600lbs
Race Weight w/ driver, some other stuff: 6,900lbs

I'd say it's safe to say, with the amount of propane I'm running, I'm at or above 550hp easily on that. It's got larger injectors (as I said ... marine injectors that are stated to give +60hp) so she's running REAL rich mixture. I'll need to throw the soot trap back on her again ... she's going in for re-inspection in 2 months. Considering this is a truck that wasn't meant to compete with International/Powerstroke and Cummins, she does a mighty fine job competing with my friend's 2003 Cummins 3500 and 2006 Powerstroke F-250! We all race cars at the same tracks, so we'll travel together with our car trailers in tow (mine's the heaviest) and I never have any trouble keeping up with them at all. I've pulled lots of cars out when they slide off the road in the snow, and so many of them ask me if I'm scared I'll break my truck. I never once had to even touch the gas to pull someone out ... just idle it along and it pulls them easily.

I'd recommend staying away from the Detroits. You can see my modification list ... and then the dyno numbers. 730ft-lb torque with $12,000 invested (performance products) in what was a $5,300 truck (original cost + repairs to fix what was wrong when I got it). So, after $18,300+ (actually 24k in the truck so far including later repair bills) I have a truck that matches my friend's chipped + exhaust cummins and another's chipped, marine injectors, and stacks powerstroke. Both have less than 15k in their truck so far. Duramaxx's latest design make very close to the same numbers as I'm making right out of the box with just a tuner. If I could go back in time, I'd definitely go get a cummins, powerstroke, or duramaxx. Don't get me wrong, this truck is fun, but I will never get close to 10k for it if I sell it today, and performance mods are expensive and hard to come by.
Ahh so it is a pre duramaxx i just wasnt sure if thats what you ment or it was a typo. but still sounds like a nice *** truck man, got any pictures for us
Old 03-31-2009, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

Working on fixing it right now. Oil leak. But I'll try and get some up before this weekend.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

LOL....Nice kill and truck OP.

+1 on the pics
Old 03-31-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn thats a bad *** truck, if I was that honda kid I would feel like **** LOL

Search this Thread