Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2010 Camaro SS vs BMW 335XI with JB3 Tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then theres this thread of a modded M3 and a JB3-335.
And also the same modded M3 against a SUPERCHAGED M3 (that makes 480 at the ground). Someone from Ca track that guy down in c6-z06.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3964
Old 05-18-2009, 12:56 PM
Launching!

the 335i cost a good bit of money and sure I would love to go 10s in a new BMW or even 11s but the fact is that my warranty would be voided from the start which really sucks for the same reason, its a BMW and it aint cheap to fix.

So how does the tune and downpipe affect the warranty?
Old 05-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Jury is still out - most folks dont take the cars in with the tune in place. BMW has modded the ECMs to detect overboost conditions and will log a hidden CE code. But this little gizmo will allow them to be cleared. http://n54tuning.com/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=4

The JB plugin unit takes about 20 mins to remove. The downpipes obviously are a little more involved.

The times that some owners have brought the cars in with tunes in place BMW has told them if you take the car back and remove the aftermarket mods they will still warranty all drivetrain parts.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 89rs400&335
Jury is still out - most folks dont take the cars in with the tune in place. The times that some owners have brought the cars in with tunes in place BMW has told them if you take the car back and remove the aftermarket mods they will still warranty all drivetrain parts.
Agree. You don't take it in with any of the bolt on's or tune in. I would only reverse my mods for something major. For example ,the high pressure fuel pump that so many have issue with is only $370. I would probably repair it myself rather than put my car back to stock.

I picked my car up the morning it came in on the truck, and it has never been back to the dealer in just over 2 years. There are many good independent shops close by, and most of the maintenance is do-it-yourself with common tools. The BMW free maintenance plan is a joke as far as interval requirements.

The Bavtec scanner reads all the BMW codes, including the shadow codes, like "tuning box detected", and clears them without issue.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how does the drivetrain hold up when they are bolt-on & tuned? i know there are not a lot of modded ones compared to other cars and they have not been out too long but i am just curious.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Teching In

there have been no failures in the development vehicles that have been seeing track time since summer 06 (to my knowledge)
Old 05-18-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 89rs400&335
there have been no failures in the development vehicles that have been seeing track time since summer 06 (to my knowledge)
In the all wheel drive models no. I have heard a couple of rear drive guys snapping halfshafts but that was wheel hop induced not purely HP induced. Stay out of wheel hop and your probably good well into the 500's. They are pretty bulletproof from what I've seen and of the BMW's I've owned I've never had a driveline failure. Pretty durable little cars. Excluding the electrical stuff.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:25 AM
10 Second Club

Bmw is fast if he goes any faster with that stock rear....Boom. They aren't drag cars. That guy is on borrowed time. As for the Camaro, I hope thats not representitive of all of them cause thats embarrassing for a 400 HP car or was that a V6 Camaro?
Old 05-19-2009, 12:32 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
In the all wheel drive models no. I have heard a couple of rear drive guys snapping halfshafts but that was wheel hop induced not purely HP induced. Stay out of wheel hop and your probably good well into the 500's. They are pretty bulletproof from what I've seen and of the BMW's I've owned I've never had a driveline failure. Pretty durable little cars. Excluding the electrical stuff.
Hey buddy check out this video if you think those rears can take anything other than road racing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSEkU...highlight=drag
Old 05-19-2009, 12:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Newskool Mach
Hey buddy check out this video if you think those rears can take anything other than road racing.

I chuckled. That guy couldn't launch for **** if he snapped an axle shaft, I raced both of my M3's at the track plenty of times and never broke my rear end.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:59 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
I chuckled. That guy couldn't launch for **** if he snapped an axle shaft, I raced both of my M3's at the track plenty of times and never broke my rear end.
Yea that dude is funny. You are probably right he can't launch for ****. That being said if you need skill to launch it right there ain't much room for error or more hp. I imagine a set of sticky DR's would do that rear in.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:50 AM
Teching In

The developer of the JB3 (http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW-135i-Timeslip-17200.html ) has been running DRs for probably 2 seasons with no probs.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Newskool Mach

Thats pretty funny. Thanks man when I get another BMW I'll take that into consideration before I drag race it. I will say after beating on four of them much harder than that I never had that happen. I won't go so far as to call the guy a moron but I'm sure the driver played a part in that failure. Seriously though **** breaks and no car is excluded from that.

Quick Reply: 2010 Camaro SS vs BMW 335XI with JB3 Tune