Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

raced a 2010 SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raysadude
Cgillies86:
that's some impressive analysis you provide, thanks for clearing things up for me
No problem, and thank you for the complement.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Is there a test later?
haha... good point.. I'm done boring you guys.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Might not be the best example...

Curbs
e36 - 3219 lb
e46 - 3415 lb
Power
e36 - 240hp/236trq
e46 - 333hp/262trq

93hp difference and 200lbs...

We are talking about a 75hp difference and 472lb difference.

2010 SS - 425hp - 3902lbs
2002 SS - 350hp - 3430lbs

That's assuming 350hp (298rwhp) for the 4th gen and 425 (362rwhp) for the 5th gen. It's certainly in the 5th gens favor on paper but it's close enough that a well driven 4th gen could pull out a win from a roll.
i agree with you on that

but doesn't it still prove my point earlier that weight does matter more on digs than rolls??
Old 06-14-2009, 10:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by raysadude
i agree with you on that

but doesn't it still prove my point earlier that weight does matter more on digs than rolls??
weight does matter...its not as bad but it still factors in. Of course with the torque the LS3 makes it shouldn't have to much trouble either way getting the weight moving. haha
Old 06-15-2009, 12:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZeroFear
By 4th he is a little more than a full car behind me and im still ever so slightly pulling. He then starts to quickly fade ( prolly put his brakes on ). I let off and keep cruising, he stays real far back. I was hoping to go again but oh well : ]

I have a 02 Z28 with lid and catback.
That is really the only part that's hard to comprehend.. the "pulling" away part, no matter how slightly is ridiculous given the car has another almost 100hp over the 02' as stated previously by the (i'm only guessing because he sounds better eductated than myself in this area) guy who used the formula to explain how MORE HP will overcome less... eventually in a race when most other factors are similar. Forgive my ignorance, I thought this was common knowledge. Like a Lotus Elise for example, low HP light as air roll racing a C6 LS3 is going to get WAXED, but from a stop to 60 is a close contest.. or a bike for another one.. My friend used to pull on a friend's Suzuki GSXr1100 with his mid 11 second T-Type on the hwy from anywhere beyond 80-90, yet the GSX would pull low 10's all day long.. Even thought ehGSX would mph higher, just another example of weight being LESS of a factor from a roll.
Could the OP have beaten a new one by a car? yeah, could he have pulled away in a long steady race? think about all that was discussed hear. Sounds like the new SS got off it and the OP thought he was pulling after jumping the 1 car out. maybe the new SS driver sucks *** and bounced the limiter, or was an auto and didn't flip the next gear as I believe the new auto will just bang the limiter and not shift, the OP did say the nw one was "blipping" the throttle like a tool.. Who gives a **** anyway, christ we argue about stupid **** sometimes don't we? lol
I once pulled a car on a magnum RT with the hemi with my 96' regal with a 3.8 from 30-80, do I think I have a shot in hell from a stop? no, but.... that race did happen..
Old 06-15-2009, 03:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

good kill! yea only if they didnt way a brick and half.....! but i cant wait til i run into one on the streets
Old 06-15-2009, 08:35 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by tspence45
Just go to Cordova some Friday night. "Uncle" Robin Lawrence is there every Friday I believe. It's bone stock on drag radials. But, I believe his best run so far, is still only a 12.96@108-109.
Yeah I've heard that...I saw he had the track rented out during the week as well.. .I believe he has a few more mods already and is much quicker than 12.96... I've trying to find a stocker to mess with though..DRs would definately prevent me from even standing a chance...my best 60ft is like a 2.09...
Old 06-15-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TonyGXP
That is really the only part that's hard to comprehend.. the "pulling" away part, no matter how slightly is ridiculous given the car has another almost 100hp over the 02' as stated previously by the (i'm only guessing because he sounds better eductated than myself in this area) guy who used the formula to explain how MORE HP will overcome less... eventually in a race when most other factors are similar. Forgive my ignorance, I thought this was common knowledge. Like a Lotus Elise for example, low HP light as air roll racing a C6 LS3 is going to get WAXED, but from a stop to 60 is a close contest.. or a bike for another one.. My friend used to pull on a friend's Suzuki GSXr1100 with his mid 11 second T-Type on the hwy from anywhere beyond 80-90, yet the GSX would pull low 10's all day long.. Even thought ehGSX would mph higher, just another example of weight being LESS of a factor from a roll.
Could the OP have beaten a new one by a car? yeah, could he have pulled away in a long steady race? think about all that was discussed hear. Sounds like the new SS got off it and the OP thought he was pulling after jumping the 1 car out. maybe the new SS driver sucks *** and bounced the limiter, or was an auto and didn't flip the next gear as I believe the new auto will just bang the limiter and not shift, the OP did say the nw one was "blipping" the throttle like a tool.. Who gives a **** anyway, christ we argue about stupid **** sometimes don't we? lol
I once pulled a car on a magnum RT with the hemi with my 96' regal with a 3.8 from 30-80, do I think I have a shot in hell from a stop? no, but.... that race did happen..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I'm with him for the most part however....

I wouldn't say that the SS has almost a 100 more ponies than him at all. Do the math, stock the fbody would have been around 350 bhp. Add the Ls6 intake, catback, and lid and ****, he's up quite a bit more in ponies. I'd say a CONSERVATIVE estimate for his ride would be about 370 bhp. Not bad for a car that weighs so much less here. Don't forget that the SS is probably only around 360 hp to the ground give or take (could be give or take a lot but you get the drift) and his fbody has GOT to be close to 320 maybe more to the ground. I'd say he'll wax stock SSs all day. That's my bet.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:07 PM
Launching!

At the request of S8ER95Z, I made a comparison between a 4th gen and a 5th gen Camaro. Here are the stats used:

4th Gen (used stats found in this thread)
300 whp
3430 lbs
.34 cd
22 ft^2 frontal area

5th Gen
360 whp
3902 lbs
.35 cd
23 ft^2 frontal area

While the aerodynamics looks almost the same it actually makes a fairly large difference at high speeds. This is because the power required to overcome drag is proportional to the cube of the velocity i.e. it grows fast. For instance, at 170 MPH the 5th gen requires about 19 more horsepower to overcome drag than the 4th gen. But at lower speeds the difference is virtually nonexistent; at 100 the 5th gen requires only 4 more horsepower to overcome drag than the 4th gen. I would like to point out that these acceleration numbers are inflated since I just assumed peak power at all speeds. In reality it would vary according to the cars power band. Anyways the graph is attached.
Attached Thumbnails raced a 2010 SS-4thgenvs5thgen.jpg  

Last edited by Cgillies86; 06-15-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:38 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks Cgillies86!

Very interesting information (of course it's all benchracing) but still interesting to see plotted out.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so what would be needed to run with one?
Old 06-16-2009, 03:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think we need a few more races to give this argument any credit. WAY to many variables. On paper it should be close. Lets let June and July tell the tale here in S,R,and K. that will give everybody more to go on. Personally i think ill toast em from a dig ( converter gets em outa the hole every time) and in the quarter ill win but on a roll ill get my *** handed to me. we need a bigger base of information. If this is an outlier (meaning it is way out of the average) then were pissing in the wind.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:27 AM
12 Second Club

ok, i am definatly going to say this, u beat the driver, not the car. Just went to the track with a friend who has a 10 SS, and while it was closed when we got their, we lined up right out front of the track and did a few passes and we ran em on the way their on the highway, and let me say, my friend is an ok driver and its a manual and that thing is capable of twelves stock. Im a 12.20 car with an flt lvl 4 trans, ss4000, 3.90s, full exhaust, and alot of suspension, and from a dig, with my drag radials, i put maybe 3 1/2 cars on him, both of us spinning. from a roll though, very different, we went from a 40 roll and he honked 3 times, jumped maybe 4 cars but lucky for me we ran out of room cause he was pulling me in and would of passed me. we shut down around 120, but that thing is a beast on the highway and pretty fast from a stop. All in all, OP, good kill, but dont get used to that, cause when these babies get some mile on em and the drivers get more proficient, bolt on 4th gens are gonna be no match on the highway.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:59 AM
12 Second Club

Your 12.20 car traps what?

FYI 4th gens were capable of 12s stock as well (and did)..

The 5th Gen SHOULD be faster overall with a few mph on a 4th gen but so far I've seen plenty of examples that are off pace and my LS1 would be a better race than most people want to admit.

As far as bolt on LS1s not being a match for a stock 2010 SS? Are you serious?
Old 06-16-2009, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

nice kill cant wait to see one with boltons ridin around
Old 06-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Banned

Yeah, but since it's newer and costs so much more shouldnt it be faster?
Old 06-16-2009, 03:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ccxxxxxxx
Yeah, but since it's newer and costs so much more shouldnt it be faster?
That's like expecting a new 3 series BMW to run faster than a 4th F-body isn't it?

It cost more because of the higher grade materials, R&D, etc that went into it.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's like expecting a new 3 series BMW to run faster than a 4th F-body isn't it?

stay away from BMW you!
Old 06-16-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I think maybe you beat a bad driver, but it did happen so good kill.

This SS is going to be faster than the last Gen IMO. Especially from a roll.

Originally Posted by gyrene2003
ok, i am definatly going to say this, u beat the driver, not the car. Just went to the track with a friend who has a 10 SS, and while it was closed when we got their, we lined up right out front of the track and did a few passes and we ran em on the way their on the highway, and let me say, my friend is an ok driver and its a manual and that thing is capable of twelves stock. Im a 12.20 car with an flt lvl 4 trans, ss4000, 3.90s, full exhaust, and alot of suspension, and from a dig, with my drag radials, i put maybe 3 1/2 cars on him, both of us spinning. from a roll though, very different, we went from a 40 roll and he honked 3 times, jumped maybe 4 cars but lucky for me we ran out of room cause he was pulling me in and would of passed me. we shut down around 120, but that thing is a beast on the highway and pretty fast from a stop. All in all, OP, good kill, but dont get used to that, cause when these babies get some mile on em and the drivers get more proficient, bolt on 4th gens are gonna be no match on the highway.
I'm with you on that.

About the weight and roll thing, just to add **** to this; I got a run with a Exige S(friend) and from 0-60, theyre very impressive. But when you get over 60-80, this where it gets ugly. He took 2-3 lengths on me at the DIG(me doing a idle start as usual to save my 10bolts) and was having some hard time catching on him in first gear with Drag radial full tration!!...but when I passed him in second(70mph+-), and hit 3rd, I got 4 cars on him by the time I was in 4th..

hp is critical for higher speed run...
Old 06-16-2009, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

X2 But let's remember, a brand spanking new WS6 or SS back in 02 was by no means a CHEAP car. Fairly costly to purchase (especially fully loaded w/leather ac etc...) and pricey to insure. Just because they can be found cheap now (usually beat up though if it's "cheap") doesn't mean they were cheap (or even economically viable) in their day when they were new. I hear you though man.

Quick Reply: raced a 2010 SS