Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

raced a 2010 SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
With all the incentives they were offering in 2002, you could get a loaded Z-28 at the end of the model year for under 20k out the door. My wife's M5 V6 was purchased in '98 as an economy car for under $14k. I bought my 2002 Z early in the model year for about 21k with 0% financing, and my loaded B4C Special Service Coup at the end of the year for $19k.
4th gen Camaros could be had at invoice less incentives just about anywhere. I see a problem with the new Camaros selling at list price. I won't even say what I think of them selling with $4k+ in additional dealer markup. Comparing like for like (2002 Z-28 with a 2010 SS), the 2010 Camaro is about 75% higher cost to get out the door.
One dealer **** here in Vegas is even trying to get 10k in ADM for an SS. That puts it at over twice the cost of the 4th gen LS1.

You know of anyone who walked out of the dealership with a brand new loaded z for under 20,000 big ones? Wow that's impressive for sure. Most people do not get those deals unless they are buying from a chop shop

Also why compare the 2002 z and not the 2002 SS. Furthermore, what's wrong with comparing the same year then at least. The introductory years of both vehicles when factoring in the year (inflation etc) was more. Year one of a vehicle tends to be higher priced because of it's desirability, yet has the most bugs, go figure.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I concede... no way am I going to argue facts. Furthermore I know what the sticker was the car I own. I will try to keep the Z28 back in the trailer park where it belongs.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow it started as 4th gen won against 5th gen camaro, then to weight vs hp, and now price hahahaha this is too funny
Old 06-18-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha, yeah I guess these threads do that sometimes lol. Nice kill though still man
Old 06-18-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
I concede... no way am I going to argue facts. Furthermore I know what the sticker was the car I own. I will try to keep the Z28 back in the trailer park where it belongs.

Oh c'mon man that's it? I think we both had some very valid points and you corrected me (quite rightfully) on a number of facts and I appreciate that. Hell you made me reconsider what I was saying and I had to rephrase my comment since we were both sort of talking about two different styles of vehicles ie: SS and WS6 vs. base Z28. But good chat either way man and what you say has a lot of truth to it, it's the dealer markups that are killing a lot of the prices we see today, and the prices I was referring to back in the day of fourth gens.

So we were both sort of right and both sort of wrong in a way. A base fourth gen 'could' possibly be had for a good price when new (like you and your Z) but often included a considerable mark up. So in that regard, you are not off the mark. But when it comes to SS cars and WS6 cars, they were not exactly 'cheap' cars, and a fully loaded Ws6 or SS of that time was pretty pricey. $32,000 (for the WS6) by todays standards would be maybe what...$35,000-$36,000? More, less? Not too far off the mark. Again let's not forget the new SS has been just released and EVERYONE is wanting one. Desirablilty and exclusivity drives prices way up there.

Ok, I'm done.

Just jokin' about the trailpark **** dude btw. I have been known to use the words "tasteful" and "screaming chicken" in the same sentence so don't mind me lol.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I got my TA in 1996 for 2K under sticker. Sticker at that time for the car was 26K it had everything and I mean everything except the auto. It was a nice *** car for the time. It eventually ran 12's at a mile high. Not bad for a naturally aspirated LT1 at that altitude and the parts that were available.

Quick Reply: raced a 2010 SS