Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

DEATH by 3.7L

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 370's I've seen at our local track have been running about 14.0's a couple ran some 13.8 times.

Torque converter (a good one) will make a huge difference, ask me how I know, I'm on my fifth one.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ballhawkdawk
As far as comparing a C5Z06 to a 370Z... a car that's 6+ years older than a brand new car is cheaper and delivers better bang for your buck... who would have thunk it. Let's all go buy one so we can drive the same thing. Except that it's out of warranty, has miles on the body, drivetrain, and interior, and can't match some of the creature comfort features available on a car like the 370Z. I'm a Chevy guy, but the apples to oranges comparisons are lame. I'm not saying the 370Z is better, but comparing used prices vs. new prices is one of the dumbest things that I always see on here.
they arent in the same ball park.. even comparing new prices to new prices.. the C5Z is all arouna better buy...

better ride, more comfortable.. who the hell cares about "creature comforts".. A/C geat radio power... thats all you need.. everything else is for a.. wait for it, wait for it.... "status symbol" and that my friend is the biggest load of bull **** ive ever heard.. but it makes the people who spend 30+k for a 13 second and slower car sleep better at night..

im sure if we could all go buy one.. most of us would, including you.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:36 PM
Launching!

a buddy of mine got one(370z) and took it to the road course and over heated it and he said the brakes were aweful
Old 07-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Teching In

Talking

Originally Posted by rcastillo002
i dont feel too bad anymore....lol,,, and yes shopping spree coming up... lol any ideas for first mods... like decent mods... not like cold air and lid...would u guys go headers or cam first? or maybe suspension first? any opinions are greatly apprciated lol
fuel pump and 150 HSW wet kit
Old 07-06-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as comparing a C5Z06 to a 370Z... a car that's 6+ years older than a brand new car is cheaper and delivers better bang for your buck... who would have thunk it. Let's all go buy one so we can drive the same thing. Except that it's out of warranty, has miles on the body, drivetrain, and interior, and can't match some of the creature comfort features available on a car like the 370Z. I'm a Chevy guy, but the apples to oranges comparisons are lame. I'm not saying the 370Z is better, but comparing used prices vs. new prices is one of the dumbest things that I always see on here.
No need to be a smart *** man, you know I'm right. I like the 370z, and they say they run about a 13.3 at like 107 or so according to motortrend, and they are good in the corners.

If we really wanna do a new car vs new car comparison, let's line a 370z up next to a new m6 2ss camaro. Or maybe even a g8 gxp. Hell even a g8 gt with just a tune could outrun the 370.

They are all nice cars, and I will admit I think nissan did a good job with the 370, but my 8 year old car is quicker than a stock 370, and I paid 8900$ for it and it is perfectly comfortable to me, except for the occasional squeak or rattle.

One more thing, as soon as you start modding your car, you void your warranty anyway, so who gives a **** about a warranty, do any of us buy cars like this to just leave them bone stock until the warranty runs out in 5 years or whatever they are giving now days.

For comparison's sake, I bought a 2007 g5 , about a month after they started selling them in the states. It is comfortable, has a great ride to it, nice sound system, and all those little "creature comforts" that I could option it with. I had it for a year before I got my 01 z, and I have never looked back.

I guess it's just a matter of personal opinion.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemons12
have you been in a stock converter car and a converter worth a damn?
it makes a HUGE difference..

its also REALLY hard to get these autos in the right gear while racing.........
+2 on getting the right gear. and yeah on the converter, i own it lol. from my expirence the converter helps like nothing else from a dig but at any roll above 30 mph it does help but not much. After paying almost 900 bucks for a top of the line converter im saying other mods will be much more cost effective FOR THE OP. come on lemons your a smart ****** you knew that

Originally Posted by Demon 383
Actually no i'm not kidding. What were your mods when you did the intake swap? From what i've seen LS6 intakes on stock or bolt-on motors are typically worth about 10rwhp. We did a before and aft on my '99 FRC vette when it was in "bolt-on status" and 10.2rwhp was the result. A few other examples showed similar results. What I was indicating is that the extra few hundred dollars spent for roughly 10rwhp is not necessary to pull a 370Z. Full exhaust, lid and tune should do the job. True more horsepower is always good, but if that's the case why not the O.P. just go all out and add heads + cam and all the other goodies while he's at it.
so 10 whp for 300 bucks for intake, 50 for intake and tb gasket, and an hour install time not worth it? Ummmmmm ok.

the instant you do heads cam your risking tranny and rearend, so now your give or take $5000 into it and completely changed the car in most ways. This guy seems to want to not let this happen again but im guessing doesnt want to spend his retirement to make sure. go with what i posted before but if you dont port the Trottle Body at least bypass the coolant passage on the bottom of the TB.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Swift_01_z-28
No need to be a smart *** man, you know I'm right. I like the 370z, and they say they run about a 13.3 at like 107 or so according to motortrend, and they are good in the corners.
I never said you were wrong. I said the comparison was dumb.

If we really wanna do a new car vs new car comparison, let's line a 370z up next to a new m6 2ss camaro. Or maybe even a g8 gxp. Hell even a g8 gt with just a tune could outrun the 370.
I agree.. that's what the 370Z should be compared to.. other new cars in a similar price range, not cars that cost 1/3 what they did when they were new and acting like it's some great bargain. And for the record... I'd take a GXP.

They are all nice cars, and I will admit I think nissan did a good job with the 370, but my 8 year old car is quicker than a stock 370, and I paid 8900$ for it and it is perfectly comfortable to me, except for the occasional squeak or rattle.
Other than being quicker, it probably does nothing else better. I'm in the same boat.. my WS6 is obviously faster than a stock 370Z, but other than that it has nothing. Interior isn't as nice, stereo isn't as nice, it isn't as sturdy since it's 9 years old now. It looks better, but that's just my opinion.

One more thing, as soon as you start modding your car, you void your warranty anyway, so who gives a **** about a warranty, do any of us buy cars like this to just leave them bone stock until the warranty runs out in 5 years or whatever they are giving now days.
I don't leave my stuff stock, but the car in the thread is a stock 370Z, and it's being compared to a stock C5Z06.

For comparison's sake, I bought a 2007 g5 , about a month after they started selling them in the states. It is comfortable, has a great ride to it, nice sound system, and all those little "creature comforts" that I could option it with. I had it for a year before I got my 01 z, and I have never looked back.

I guess it's just a matter of personal opinion.
I agree that it is all just a matter of preference, and my preference is an F-body. It has all the **** you need and none of the **** you don't need, but I can still step back and objectively admit that a brand new 2010 370Z is overall a nicer car. At one point, every F-body was brand new too, and the guy who bought it wasn't an idiot for buying it instead of a modded fox body. Every car is brand new at some point, and comparing the performance of a new car vs a different used car with respect to price just isn't fair.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:08 AM
On The Tree

they arent in the same ball park.. even comparing new prices to new prices.. the C5Z is all arouna better buy...

better ride, more comfortable.. who the hell cares about "creature comforts".. A/C geat radio power... thats all you need.. everything else is for a.. wait for it, wait for it.... "status symbol" and that my friend is the biggest load of bull **** ive ever heard.. but it makes the people who spend 30+k for a 13 second and slower car sleep better at night..

im sure if we could all go buy one.. most of us would, including you.
If I wanted a C5Z06, I would buy one. I don't want one. Assuming that they're going for 20K like one poster stated, I'm sure most of us could afford one too.

And as for anything other than AC/heat/radio/power being status symbol stuff, that's bullshit. Some stuff like heated cup holders and rain sense wipers are a bit excessive, but DVD, Nav, steering wheel controls, and blue tooth are nice features that a lot of people get tons of use out of.

People who spend 30K+ for a 370Z aren't trying to rationalize why their car is "better" than an f-body that's twice as fast... at least I hope they're not. Every car has its own appeal, and fortunately we all have unique tastes.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
+2 on getting the right gear. and yeah on the converter, i own it lol. from my expirence the converter helps like nothing else from a dig but at any roll above 30 mph it does help but not much. After paying almost 900 bucks for a top of the line converter im saying other mods will be much more cost effective FOR THE OP. come on lemons your a smart ****** you knew that

so 10 whp for 300 bucks for intake, 50 for intake and tb gasket, and an hour install time not worth it? Ummmmmm ok.

the instant you do heads cam your risking tranny and rearend, so now your give or take $5000 into it and completely changed the car in most ways. This guy seems to want to not let this happen again but im guessing doesnt want to spend his retirement to make sure...
Worth it? Maybe. Necessary to beat a low 13-second car? Nope! If the O.P. want's to ensure this won't happen again he'd be better off spending that $350 on a used nitrous kit and bolting on 100rwhp! Once the O.P starts modding more than likely the guy w/ the 370Z will mod to. Then what do you suggest he do? Ever thought about that? Probably not.

go with what i posted before but if you dont port the Trottle Body at least bypass the coolant passage on the bottom of the TB.
This part is funny. Sure the TB Bypass will net gobs of power and guarantee the OP a victory.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, ballhawk, I agree with you on just about everything you said.....

Also for the record, I would take a GXP as well!!
Old 07-06-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would guess that near stock A4 LS1 would account for about .01% of the members on this board. So, I guess not many people really need to worry. Of those that fit the category, maybe a quarter would actually bother racing someone.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Teching In

^Truf!

Nice death OP. Mod up and find that Z again.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tkimrey
The 370's I've seen at our local track have been running about 14.0's a couple ran some 13.8 times.

Torque converter (a good one) will make a huge difference, ask me how I know, I'm on my fifth one.

exactly like i said.. Ive seen some at the track and the BEST ive seen was like a 13.6/ 13.7 WITH MULTIPLE RUNS.. ive seen a worse of like 14.3
Old 07-06-2009, 06:30 PM
***Repost Police***

What you see at a local track is all well and good until you run into somebody that can actually drive their car well.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PAGregSS
I would guess that near stock A4 LS1 would account for about .01% of the members on this board. So, I guess not many people really need to worry. Of those that fit the category, maybe a quarter would actually bother racing someone.
lol i was bone stock till about a week ago and i raced nearly anyone willing.... i enjoyed stomping brand new stangs and various modded cars then honestly telling them i was bone stock (even the muffler lol). but with many cars made now running 13's i'm finally stepping up my game
Old 07-06-2009, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
What you see at a local track is all well and good until you run into somebody that can actually drive their car well.
typical ***** owner response
Old 07-07-2009, 12:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by demarco313
exactly like i said.. Ive seen some at the track and the BEST ive seen was like a 13.6/ 13.7 WITH MULTIPLE RUNS.. ive seen a worse of like 14.3
What was the DA and what were their traps?
Old 07-07-2009, 02:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

the instant you do heads cam your risking tranny and rearend, so now your give or take $5000 into it and completely changed the car in most ways. This guy seems to want to not let this happen again but im guessing doesnt want to spend his retirement to make sure. go with what i posted before but if you dont port the Trottle Body at least bypass the coolant passage on the bottom of the TB.
i know i am....

what kind of converter do you have.. str? mine helped out TONS froma roll.. of course more from a dig.. but REALLY woke it up from a roll also..

If I wanted a C5Z06, I would buy one. I don't want one. Assuming that they're going for 20K like one poster stated, I'm sure most of us could afford one too.

And as for anything other than AC/heat/radio/power being status symbol stuff, that's bullshit. Some stuff like heated cup holders and rain sense wipers are a bit excessive, but DVD, Nav, steering wheel controls, and blue tooth are nice features that a lot of people get tons of use out of.

People who spend 30K+ for a 370Z aren't trying to rationalize why their car is "better" than an f-body that's twice as fast... at least I hope they're not. Every car has its own appeal, and fortunately we all have unique tastes.
they do cost 20k.. many cheaper... have you not looked lately?
i just had a buddy get an 03 quicksilver 1 owner with 50k miles.. paid 20.5 or 21k... cant remember exact dollar amount..
24-26k is considered a more expensive one right now..

im not a fan of any of the other features..

go spend a few days on a 350 forum and see what they think of their cars.. its comical..
Old 07-07-2009, 03:30 AM
12 Second Club

go spend a few days on a 350 forum and see what they think of their cars.. its comical..
heres a link from there web site for a great video
Old 07-07-2009, 03:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by stangtrader
heres a link from there web site for a great video
no link

Quick Reply: DEATH by 3.7L