Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

DEATH by 3.7L

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh! They finally put that 7 speed auto in the G? Cool. I know that as far as manuals go, though, they didn't put the syncro-rev match trans in the G. They're saving that for the Z.

Yeah, I've heard really good things about that Auto. The torque converter is a 5 disc variable lockup from 5% to 100%... Should be as a good as a clutch, just a bit heavier.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER
370z stock has run 13.2@107mph in one of the magz there no joke. and really to bash nissan is kinda stupid. there engines are good quality and last a while. and there trans are no slouches either. this is just in response to the guy on the first page resorting to "well its nissan" as an excuse that is less of a car.. pretty good ricer mentality there.
Nissan motors are nothing to brag about. Read any review about the 350Z or 370Z or G35/37 and you'll read complaints about vibration and harshness. Its an unbalanced motor, and you feel it in the cabin, shifter, and pedals in the higher RPM's. The higher you rev it, the more unrefined it gets. Not only that, but it also has a relatively horrible intake/exhaust sound, which reviews often also comment on. The VQ also has oil burning issues, not sure if they've corrected any of those with the newer versions.

I don't know how you can say Nissan makes good motors when they still produce piles of crap like the 2.5L, which are notorious for eating piston rings and needing entire overhauls before 75,000 miles due to excessive oil consumption.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:41 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Nissan motors are nothing to brag about. Read any review about the 350Z or 370Z or G35/37 and you'll read complaints about vibration and harshness. Its an unbalanced motor, and you feel it in the cabin, shifter, and pedals in the higher RPM's. The higher you rev it, the more unrefined it gets. Not only that, but it also has a relatively horrible intake/exhaust sound, which reviews often also comment on. The VQ also has oil burning issues, not sure if they've corrected any of those with the newer versions.

I don't know how you can say Nissan makes good motors when they still produce piles of crap like the 2.5L, which are notorious for eating piston rings and needing entire overhauls before 75,000 miles due to excessive oil consumption.
Most people think the VQ35/37 sound very nice, myself included. Every manufacturer has motors that are less than reliable, but the VG/VQ series has been touted NUMEROUS times as being one of the best engine series in production.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like you're talking about LSx motors...

I've driven a few 370zs. I also had a G35. I never once thought the sound was horrible. In fact, I like the sound. At high RPM, I didn't feel any harshness in the car at all. And I didn't hear any rattling either. But I do hear rattling in a lot of GMs. My dad's 2007 Solstice GXP rattles like crazy already. My Z06 doesn't, though.

As for burning oil, from what I understand, just using Mobile 1 in an LS1 will burn oil. I don't know if you can say that the 370z burns oil just yet. The oil doesn't even get hot enough to burn because if it goes over 240*, the engine goes into a degraded limp mode and waits for the oil to cool down. I do know that the Zs are having oil cooling issues on the track, but that's being solved by aftermarket oil coolers.

My Z06 is harsh at higher RPMs. It's quite smooth at lower RPMs.

So IMO, your statement is pot calling the kettle black.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:04 PM
***Repost Police***

He does that a lot...
Old 07-31-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Unbalanced motor? I've went 130 in my G37 and it felt smooth as butter. As goes for vibration and harshness, I don't don't know what the heck your talking about. I take it over 100 mph just about every day, just because how effortlessly it feels, I don't even notice it. The only downside of the 370Z\G37 is the torque, it's not very torquey compared to some engines, but then again, it's a 6 banger.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:36 AM
Launching!

Nissan motors are nothing to brag about. Read any review about the 350Z or 370Z or G35/37 and you'll read complaints about vibration and harshness. Its an unbalanced motor, and you feel it in the cabin, shifter, and pedals in the higher RPM's.
um what?? 60 degree V6 engines like Nissans VQ series are the most balanced engines you can have aside from an inline 6 or a V12. We have 5 different Nissan V6s in our garage/driveway both modified and stock and I can assure you there is no harshness in these engines. In fact i'd venture to say Nissan builds some of the best V6s in the world and has for some time.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedBeauty84ZX
um what?? 60 degree V6 engines like Nissans VQ series are the most balanced engines you can have aside from an inline 6 or a V12. We have 5 different Nissan V6s in our garage/driveway both modified and stock and I can assure you there is no harshness in these engines. In fact i'd venture to say Nissan builds some of the best V6s in the world and has for some time.
Lots of uneducated people in here.

ALL V6's are naturally unbalanced. Its not a matter of just the VQ being like that, they all are. Most manufacturers correct it with balance shafts (like the 3800 Series II), Nissan doesn't.

There are only 2 naturally balanced engine configurations that exist. The straight 6 and the V12. The V8 is balanced due to its crossplace crankshaft and counterweights.

Read any review of the 370Z and you'll see the same thing.

Per Motortrend:

"Naturally, there are a few characteristics of the new Z with which we're not entirely enamored. The VQ engine, while more powerful and polished than its predecessor, still exhibits a coarseness near redline. Further, that coarseness rears its unwelcome head in the gearbox and pedals, transmitting a slight vibration to your hands and feet when firing off high-rpm shifts."
Old 08-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Launching!

ALL V6's are naturally unbalanced. Its not a matter of just the VQ being like that, they all are. Most manufacturers correct it with balance shafts (like the 3800 Series II), Nissan doesn't.
Incorrect buddy. 60 degree V6s are considered naturally balanced though not as inherently balanced as an inline 6 or V12 engine. 60 degree V6s like Nissans DO NOT NEED BALANCE SHAFTS.

GMs 3800 V6 on the other hand is a 90 degree V6, 90 degree V6s are produced so they can use the same production-line tooling set up to produce V8 engines (which normally have a 90-degree V angle). Although it is relatively easy to derive a 90-degree V6 from an existing V8 design by simply cutting two cylinders off the engine, this tends to make it wider and more vibration-prone than a 60-degree V6. 90 Degree V6 engines need balance shafts and large counter weights to operate acceptably smooth.

There are only 2 naturally balanced engine configurations that exist. The straight 6 and the V12. The V8 is balanced due to its crossplace crankshaft and counterweights.
90 degree V8s are not inherently balanced but like a 60 degree V6 they are considered a balanced engine. 90 degrees is optimal for V8 engines and 60 degrees is optimal for v6 engines.
Don't need to, i've driven 370Zs and Nissans new 3.7L is one of the best V6 engines on the market. I also have 5 different Nissan V6s here in my garage/driveway ranging from 230HP-450HP and they are all very smooth well built engines.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
The difference between a G37 and 370z is the difference between an LS2 Corvette and 6L Chevy truck. .
You mean 300lbs and rear seats but share the same platform??

Don't need to, i've driven 370Zs and Nissans new 3.7L is one of the best V6 engines on the market. I also have 5 different Nissan V6s here in my garage/driveway ranging from 230HP-450HP and they are all very smooth well built engines.
Except if you take the 350/370 to redline the gear shift lever will vibrate pretty well from what I've read. Incorrect?
Old 08-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Deuuuce

Except if you take the 350/370 to redline the gear shift lever will vibrate pretty well from what I've read. Incorrect?
Drive one and you tell me, i've never noticed it. The only vibrations I can think of that they may be referring to is the new VVEL(valve timing system) thats in Nissans new 3.7Ls and 5.0Ls, its similar to BMWs double VANOS.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Except they don't share the same platform. They're a completely different car sharing the same motor and in the Auto form, share the same transmission... That's it. Even the frame is different. The G37 has a longer frame. And it's not as stiff as the 370z's frame.

"Naturally, there are a few characteristics of the new Z with which we're not entirely enamored. The VQ engine, while more powerful and polished than its predecessor, still exhibits a coarseness near redline. Further, that coarseness rears its unwelcome head in the gearbox and pedals, transmitting a slight vibration to your hands and feet when firing off high-rpm shifts."
I don't know how many of these cars you've driven, but I didn't notice any vibrations in my hands or feet while driving the **** out of them. And I wear thin-soled pumas while I'm driving.

I think personal experience always talks more than an "editor's" opinion.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 166 Likes on 116 Posts

Per Motortrend:

you're preaching to the wrong crowd here. the shifter itself could be a vibrator and they still would say that they didnt notice any vibration, even though it a commonly accepted problem with the nissan rice burners.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a G35 and I have no noticeable vibration in the gear shift lever at redline.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Stillen Gen 3 Long Tube Intakes on the 370z dyno'd 15RWHP more alone. I couldn't believe the numbers myself, but I started seeing independent dynos on different machines (dyno jets, mustangs, etc) and they were all coming up with huge gains.

Berk test pipes, Stillen Gen 3 intakes, and pretty much any cat back exhaust was yielding serious numbers to the ground. With just those 3 items they're making over 300 to the ground. Apparently, there was a lot to gain from simple bolt-ons. There's also headers out, but I don't believe they made that much of a difference (maybe 10RWHP). Either way, F-bodies are going to need to step up their game and get LTs, CIA and a dyno tune to stay in front of the new Zs.

I haven't raced a new Z yet in my Z06, but I'm anxious to. Had an opportunity last week, but I didn't really know the car yet, so I didn't do it.
Lol you're not going to have any problems at all with a 370 even in a stock z06.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know. LOL! My car's lighter and makes nearly 100HP more to the ground than they do. LOL

I still want to see how well they fare against me.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Teching In

I know. LOL! My car's lighter and makes nearly 100HP more to the ground than they do. LOL

I still want to see how well they fare against me.
Not very well ..Btw if you have any questions about s/cing your Z lemme know. I had common problems no one told me about that's cost me alot of money lol.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Incorrect buddy. 60 degree V6s are considered naturally balanced though not as inherently balanced as an inline 6 or V12 engine. 60 degree V6s like Nissans DO NOT NEED BALANCE SHAFTS.
Wrong. They are not "naturally balanced" at all. V6 engines can't be naturally balanced. Since each bank has an odd number of cylinders they are inherently unbalanced, regardless of their V-angle.

GMs 3800 V6 on the other hand is a 90 degree V6, 90 degree V6s are produced so they can use the same production-line tooling set up to produce V8 engines (which normally have a 90-degree V angle). Although it is relatively easy to derive a 90-degree V6 from an existing V8 design by simply cutting two cylinders off the engine, this tends to make it wider and more vibration-prone than a 60-degree V6. 90 Degree V6 engines need balance shafts and large counter weights to operate acceptably smooth.
Way to copy and paste from Wikipedia because you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

90 degree V8s are not inherently balanced but like a 60 degree V6 they are considered a balanced engine. 90 degrees is optimal for V8 engines and 60 degrees is optimal for v6 engines.
90 degree V8's are balanced due to having an even number of cylinders in each bank, crossplane crank, and counterweights. 60 degree V6's aren't balanced, period. Its not physically possible to have a naturally balanced V6.

Of course you're going to say that. You're a Nissan fanboy. Your cars could rattle the fillings out of your teeth and you'd still maintain that they are vibration free. There's a reason almost every review mentions the VQ as being course and having undesireable vibrations - its due to the design of the engine. You are the one who is in denile.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the op nice death time to up grade. My boy has a 350 with every bolt on minus cams and he will run on a bolton f-body. I can only imagine what a 370 z is going to bring to the table. I have yet to bless one with my tail lights lol!
Old 08-02-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mulalleybs
Not very well ..Btw if you have any questions about s/cing your Z lemme know. I had common problems no one told me about that's cost me alot of money lol.
I may hit you up for some info. What S/C did you go with?

Quick Reply: DEATH by 3.7L