Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

G37 6MT vs '06ish M3

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxspeed96ct
30hp extra might balance out the wieght differance if anything..

If you look at the dyno sheet of a m3 it makes much better power through the entire rpm range, it starts to make nasty power at around 6k and it revs till 8k

while if you see the dyno of a G it climbs slow and doesnt peak till just before redline ....

g37 is not slow , it would be a awsome race but from the story pulling a total of 6-7 cars total is

Sounds to me like the m3 let off and didnt push the car while you did a ricer fly by, or it was a 328 with m bumper and badges....
+ 1 what this guy says
Old 07-20-2009, 08:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not going to argue with you guys over the internet. Believe what you want to believe. BTW my car dyno'd stock at 265whp on the same dyno from mid 2008. My bolt on dyno were done a couple months back. My whp gain is 42whp with maybe some variance in temp differences. This graph only shows my adding a CAI. As for the guy not trying, it's kinda interesting that when I was up to 120mph that he was behind me 5-6 lengths and staying with me. It's not like he dropped off into the horizon. Like I said "steady walk". It's different then a flyby.

I don't see why this is so hard to believe. Both cars are rated similar stock with mine being 250lbs heavier with full boltons? If you want to bench race, then go on with your bad self. You are acting like I'm taking out vipers.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:54 PM
Teching In

i bealive you man a stock e46 m3 has a slight edge over a G37 stock vs Stock but its a drivers race
Old 07-21-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by willizm
I'm not going to argue with you guys over the internet. Believe what you want to believe. BTW my car dyno'd stock at 265whp on the same dyno from mid 2008. My bolt on dyno were done a couple months back. My whp gain is 42whp with maybe some variance in temp differences. This graph only shows my adding a CAI. As for the guy not trying, it's kinda interesting that when I was up to 120mph that he was behind me 5-6 lengths and staying with me. It's not like he dropped off into the horizon. Like I said "steady walk". It's different then a flyby.

I don't see why this is so hard to believe. Both cars are rated similar stock with mine being 250lbs heavier with full boltons? If you want to bench race, then go on with your bad self. You are acting like I'm taking out vipers.

no one said that you lie man..i for one believe you that it happened. but i've driven several E46 M3 and i know how they'd fare against cars with more whp especially on the highway, like i said before they are geared for highway pull. once again i'm not saying that it didn't happen, but it shouldn't be that bad..peace
Old 07-21-2009, 03:42 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by raysadude
no one said that you lie man..i for one believe you that it happened. but i've driven several E46 M3 and i know how they'd fare against cars with more whp especially on the highway, like i said before they are geared for highway pull. once again i'm not saying that it didn't happen, but it shouldn't be that bad..peace
It's all good, it could have been many different factors. I actually was kinda surprised to have gotten the better of both exchanges. Now if he had similar mods to mine, then it may have been a completely different story. Mods make the difference. Where the G's biggest downfall is from a dig, but the thing pulls really hard in the upper RPM's which is one of the reasons I love the car. I really want to get some time in with a friend to see how both the WS6 and G do. From a dig I'm seeing the WS6 ahead easily. From a highway roll, not sure what to expect.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by willizm
It's all good, it could have been many different factors. I actually was kinda surprised to have gotten the better of both exchanges. Now if he had similar mods to mine, then it may have been a completely different story. Mods make the difference. Where the G's biggest downfall is from a dig, but the thing pulls really hard in the upper RPM's which is one of the reasons I love the car. I really want to get some time in with a friend to see how both the WS6 and G do. From a dig I'm seeing the WS6 ahead easily. From a highway roll, not sure what to expect.
I ran a G35 coupe on I-10 last year when i was much more stock. at the time i had a lid, p&p TB, and i think my shift points were bumped, very awful true dual setup with a flowmaster. oh and !EGR !AIR. My gf was driving, she walked him pretty good 3 times in a row Races started at like 70mph and by 100 had like 3 cars on him.

Depending on your G yes but I would be willing to bet it beats the Bird by a little. your f bod has no mods and the G has 42whp over stock? yes i got 20 on the infinity from a roll
Old 07-21-2009, 01:36 PM
9 Second Club

No doubt it takes a bit to get a g35 or g37 quick, but it's still fun, I have 100tq over the g37 with the bird. It will be interesting, but exciting to see which car pulls harder. Both cars are an experiment. TT the g37 and h/c on the t/a is the goal. both will be sleepers and stock looking. Then it will be fun to see how they perform head to head with two different mod directions. I'm pretty equal opportunity when it comes to both cars. once I do lth, cats, exhaust, and lid on the t/a then it's going to be no contest on the G37 until I do the TT.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
I ran a G35 coupe on I-10 last year when i was much more stock. at the time i had a lid, p&p TB, and i think my shift points were bumped, very awful true dual setup with a flowmaster. oh and !EGR !AIR. My gf was driving, she walked him pretty good 3 times in a row Races started at like 70mph and by 100 had like 3 cars on him.

Depending on your G yes but I would be willing to bet it beats the Bird by a little. your f bod has no mods and the G has 42whp over stock? yes i got 20 on the infinity from a roll
hahah that G37 without boost wouldnt hang for a second vs a 6spd ls1 car..

Few of my buddies have the revup g35s with full exhaust, intake manifolds , tune etc (all the bolt ons), and i used to walk them with my 97 Lt1 with intake and catback, and the new g37 isnt much faster then the g35.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Given that the new 3.7Ls seem to respond fairly decent to basic mods then I wouldnt be suprised to see a full bolt on G37 beating stock or light bolt on LS1s....bolt ons and tune has them making more power then a stock LS1 and their only about 200-250lbs heavier then an fbody. Especially since the stock 370Zs are a good race for a stock LS1...
Old 07-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RedBeauty84ZX
Given that the new 3.7Ls seem to respond fairly decent to basic mods then I wouldnt be suprised to see a full bolt on G37 beating stock or light bolt on LS1s....bolt ons and tune has them making more power then a stock LS1 and their only about 200-250lbs heavier then an fbody. Especially since the stock 370Zs are a good race for a stock LS1...

ya but 370z is about 400lbs lighter..

the g with all those bolt ons is like a stock 370z
Old 07-21-2009, 07:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I lost to a g37 yesterday by half car to 60.......in my cobalt

Great looking car. He was a little shocked at my car but I got a thumb up for effort :-)
Old 07-22-2009, 04:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

last week there was a thread posted on here, a guy got killed by a 370z.

Maybe the guy i raced had a few bolt ons, i wouldnt know, he hung back after being put in his place lol. Wish i could race him now haha it would be ugly.

*Edit* my bad, 2 weeks ago https://ls1tech.com/forums/street-ra...eath-3-7l.html
Old 07-22-2009, 04:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hugger1975
I lost to a g37 yesterday by half car to 60.......in my cobalt

Great looking car. He was a little shocked at my car but I got a thumb up for effort :-)
hah i love the new turbo cobalt, saw some vids of a few with around 300whp, intake exhaust and tune.
Thing looked like a fun car !

what are your mods?
Old 07-23-2009, 07:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

hah i love the new turbo cobalt, saw some vids of a few with around 300whp, intake exhaust and tune.
Thing looked like a fun car !

what are your mods?
totally stock.

love the lil thing. there are a bunch of guys making 300/330+ tune only!
i am holding out for the lost cause (GM to put out the stage kits).
but these guys doin tunes are making insane tq. i just fear losing my warranty.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hugger1975
totally stock.

love the lil thing. there are a bunch of guys making 300/330+ tune only!
i am holding out for the lost cause (GM to put out the stage kits).
but these guys doin tunes are making insane tq. i just fear losing my warranty.
ya warrenty is good , dnt lose it if you dnt have to.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Few of my buddies have the revup g35s with full exhaust, intake manifolds , tune etc (all the bolt ons), and i used to walk them with my 97 Lt1 with intake and catback, and the new g37 isnt much faster then the g35.
last time i heard the g37's were a tiny bit slower because of the weight. i had a 05 g35, one of the revup ones a coupe 6mt. it was a fun and classy car but certainly not a street bruiser. you felt like it driving it though because the wonderful sound it made at WOT.

Quick Reply: G37 6MT vs '06ish M3