Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

02 ws6 vs 2010 camaro ss *video*

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009 | 01:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sleeperstang16
i hate to say it guys but the new camaro is a dog its crazy that gm made a new camaro that is slower than the previous one
Not really. They've only been out a few months, and even in right under 1000' DA, a bone stock 2010 SS went 12.87 at my local track. Give it another month or so, and the weather will get better, and we'll see right around 0 to negative DA, and the car should be into the mid 12's. And once those drivers get some more seat time, with lower DA, it should be easy to hit 12's. It takes a hell of a driver to hit a 12 in a bone stock 4th gen.
Old 08-19-2009 | 01:17 AM
10 Second Club

Nice kills man, I really thought he would give you a little more of a fight. If they make a Z28 it would be great.
Old 08-19-2009 | 05:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

man thats what i been waiting for a 2010 camaro ss vs an ls1 i knew it the ta wins go ls1 kick the **** out of that 2010 camaro ss
Old 08-19-2009 | 10:34 AM
On The Tree

dats rite, go git er dun ls1
Old 08-19-2009 | 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

Good kill Hammer!

And on the stock manifolds! Guess it doesn't take an LS1 much at all to get pass a '10 in auto form.

Originally Posted by tspence45
Not really. They've only been out a few months, and even in right under 1000' DA, a bone stock 2010 SS went 12.87 at my local track. Give it another month or so, and the weather will get better, and we'll see right around 0 to negative DA, and the car should be into the mid 12's. And once those drivers get some more seat time, with lower DA, it should be easy to hit 12's. It takes a hell of a driver to hit a 12 in a bone stock 4th gen.
Don't set your sights on seeing the majority 2010's going mid 12's in stock form. That won't be the norm.

Last edited by BLWNV10; 08-19-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-19-2009 | 01:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLWNV10
And on the stock manifolds! Guess it doesn't take an LS1 much at all to get pass a '10 in auto form.
The Autos should be beatable by any stock LS1 M6 with a competant driver. They are putting down less power than the LS3 powered cars and the tune seems to be holding them back big time. The LS3 M6 is a different story though.

Don't set your sights on seeing the majority 2010's going mid 12's in stock form. That won't be the norm.
While that is true the 12.87 pass at Cordova was done with 950ish DA... with a little better DA 12.7 isn't out of the question. I believe the guy is a great driver and firmly believe that 99% of the people who own cars like this can't drive so you are correct... it won't be the norm overall but with any decent driver behind the wheel it WILL be normal (please notice i said decent driver.).
Old 08-19-2009 | 03:50 PM
10 Second Club
10 Year Member

Good kill Hammer!

i think a bone stock m6 ls1 would win too....
Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
The Autos should be beatable by any stock LS1 M6 with a competant driver. They are putting down less power than the LS3 powered cars and the tune seems to be holding them back big time. The LS3 M6 is a different story though.

While that is true the 12.87 pass at Cordova was done with 950ish DA... with a little better DA 12.7 isn't out of the question. I believe the guy is a great driver and firmly believe that 99% of the people who own cars like this can't drive so you are correct... it won't be the norm overall but with any decent driver behind the wheel it WILL be normal (please notice i said decent driver.).
i think the tuning in the autos leave ALOT to be desired. running pig rich at WOT and snail sluggish torque management isn't a good thing.

i heard a rumor that diablo tuners don't offer the torque management tuning option anymore--- anyone know anything of this?

also driver error almost doesn't exist in the auto. it doesnt even spin with the t\c off so there's really not much else you could do wrong other than hold your gears too long and hit the limiter--- if you shift manually.
Old 08-19-2009 | 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Oh, I don't think it'll be the norm. I'm just saying to look how early on people are getting into the 12's with them, and in DA, that's not exactly perfect. I think it shows, that it's not going to be as much of a challenge to get them into the 12's bone stock, than it is for LS1's. The recorded trap speeds should already show that anyways. When I was going to the track pretty regularly a few months back, there was a stock 2010 SS on DR's, that was running in the 12.8-13.0 area, with traps around 108-109. And that was in ~2500' DA. Those nights, my traps were a good 2-3mph off from when we had ~0' DA.
Old 08-23-2009 | 09:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Let you neighbor know your really not pushing much more then stock power ...seemed like he was using that as an excuse lol.
Old 08-25-2009 | 08:47 AM
10 Second Club

I don't even care about the outcome I'm just glad to see a video without any roll racing.
Old 08-25-2009 | 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Just raced my friends 2010 Camaro 6 speed from a 70 roll. His is stock and I've got full exhaust, lid, ported TB, tune (341hp / 355tq on mustang dyno) and some suspension. He got the jump on me but to my surprise he pulled me hard through 3rd, probably put 2 cars on me. When I shifted into 4th he stopped pulling away and I was gaining very, very slowly. Never passed him all the way through 4th gear though.

I didn't ask him what gear he started in, not sure if he could have went to 2nd at 70 or not. I do know 3rd at 70mph for me isn't a very good speed to start at, the rpm's are a little low. I would have preferred to slow to 60 and drop it into 2nd. Were going to the track in a couple weeks to see what happens from a dig.

I must say his car is a lot faster than I thought it would be. I thought for sure I would pull him easily from any speed. If they ever come out with a Z28 I'll be in line.
Old 08-25-2009 | 01:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
Just raced my friends 2010 Camaro 6 speed from a 70 roll. His is stock and I've got full exhaust, lid, ported TB, tune (341hp / 355tq on mustang dyno) and some suspension. He got the jump on me but to my surprise he pulled me hard through 3rd, probably put 2 cars on me. When I shifted into 4th he stopped pulling away and I was gaining very, very slowly. Never passed him all the way through 4th gear though.

I didn't ask him what gear he started in, not sure if he could have went to 2nd at 70 or not. I do know 3rd at 70mph for me isn't a very good speed to start at, the rpm's are a little low. I would have preferred to slow to 60 and drop it into 2nd. Were going to the track in a couple weeks to see what happens from a dig.

I must say his car is a lot faster than I thought it would be. I thought for sure I would pull him easily from any speed. If they ever come out with a Z28 I'll be in line.
Yeah sounds like he had an optimal gearing point and you got the suckville 3rd @ 70mph hit... It can make a big difference.
Old 08-26-2009 | 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

that video is just droning to say the least.
Old 08-28-2009 | 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

The l99's haven't impressed me. I'd rather an auto with a good stall when I sell the mustang and purchase one of these cars but have to see the faults. The line bog can be remedied with a good stall and gears. Still waiting to see the massive potential of the LS3/M6 in a 4k lb vehicle. An M6 LS3 camaro with 4.10's, high stall, and DR's would be hard to deal with on the street even L99.

But the suspension would still suck... lots of money to right the wrongs and bring it to that level. I have no doubt it's capable but then you're spending a lot of cash... I'm going to wait and see...
Old 08-28-2009 | 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
There won't be a z28 but you probably don't need one. The muscle car's time is ending along with obama, pelosi and the other money grubbing democrats. I'll give my left arm for a LS3 in a car that lets me ride passengers around, pile things into the trunk and can make 500whp n/a.

Like a factory supercharged mustang, the VIN number will have a direct relation on your insurance rates. I learned this long ago. An LS3 SS is the ticket. I keep skimming this site thinking I'll see a lot of 10' kill stories but haven't yet...
Old 08-31-2009 | 10:45 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
I keep skimming this site thinking I'll see a lot of 10' kill stories but haven't yet...
The first group of buyers aren't racers it seems (most on camaro5 aren't even car enthusiest... not even sure why they bought one)... a lot of them seem to have switched over from Camrys or some other commuter ride. Not a lot of track times getting posted and the ones that do are inexperienced at the strip. It will be a few years before the prices drop and we start seeing some battles.
Old 08-31-2009 | 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WSsick
from what ive seena round here, the 2010 is EXTREMELY intake limited. once that is cleared up, it gains plenty, and the choke is gone.
LS3 intake manifold is good: The Fast manifold they are making (might be done- havent checked recently) will net your average vette a 15hp increase. For near $1,000. Ouch. Better off getting a vavaram cold air over the radiator air intake which, if it resembles the GTO setup, will give the SS a 30+rwhp gain by itself.
Originally Posted by big hammer
I think the tuning in the autos leave ALOT to be desired. running pig rich at WOT and snail sluggish torque management isn't a good thing.

i heard a rumor that diablo tuners don't offer the torque management tuning option anymore--- anyone know anything of this?

also driver error almost doesn't exist in the auto. it doesnt even spin with the t\c off so there's really not much else you could do wrong other than hold your gears too long and hit the limiter--- if you shift manually.
Diablo tuners stopped being able to manage Torque Management after the 2004 year: all new GM transmissions not have there own ECU: though there still is engine side TM things related to spark n fuel that can be remedied. For trans side:
Tell your buddy with his L99 to go to Chris White's website and fill out this form- tell him what he has and if he has a aftermarket ECU for it. Word is Chris is almost done with a custom trans computer for the new 6spd trans that eliminates Torque Management (transmission side. Will need the Predator to get rid of engine side TM). I'm awaiting my GTO A4 computer right now: all the guys who have used it claim it makes the GTO a different beast with 2nd & 3rd gear chirps now the norm.
http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/ind...id=1&Itemid=56
Old 09-01-2009 | 01:19 AM
11 Second Club

put a nice stall converter in that camaro and get her tuned. she'll wake up a bit!
Old 09-01-2009 | 01:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WSsick
from what ive seena round here, the 2010 is EXTREMELY intake limited. once that is cleared up, it gains plenty, and the choke is gone.
You mean the Mustang-esq fake scoop up front on the SS doesnt help? OH NOES!!1!11!
Old 09-02-2009 | 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
There won't be a z28 but you probably don't need one. The muscle car's time is ending along with obama, pelosi and the other money grubbing democrats. I'll give my left arm for a LS3 in a car that lets me ride passengers around, pile things into the trunk and can make 500whp n/a.

Like a factory supercharged mustang, the VIN number will have a direct relation on your insurance rates. I learned this long ago. An LS3 SS is the ticket. I keep skimming this site thinking I'll see a lot of 10' kill stories but haven't yet...

Ha, I don't care what the insurance would cost, it would probably be a 50k dollar car. If you can afford that the insurance shouldn't be an issue. The SS just isn't enough for me to trade in my WS6 that I bought brand new. A Z28 would be a very special car and worth the trade to me. But your right, they probably will never bring it out because GM is swinging from Obama's nuts.

Quick Reply: 02 ws6 vs 2010 camaro ss *video*