Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

TT Lambo vs. Modded ZR1..*Video*

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
Fadi - I'd be shocked if you weren't trapping around 143mph. ET is irrelevant in your case.
Really?

I think my car is a 138-140 mph car. But, I am just going to tell everyone that you said it is a 143 mph car, so that must be what it is... (kidding)

I would like to find out what my car traps, but man, a clutch job on these cars is not a pretty sight, neither is the price for a broken half shaft. I wouldn't mind spending the cash on these parts had I liked drag racing, but to drag race, break something, and then pay for something broken as a result of drag racing would not be worth it for me.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fadi
Really?

I think my car is a 138-140 mph car. But, I am just going to tell everyone that you said it is a 143 mph car, so that must be what it is... (kidding)
Just a guess, but I'm usually pretty close. I'll say 141-143mph to be a little conservative...that's with me driving though so I'll have to take it for a spin!

I would like to find out what my car traps, but man, a clutch job on these cars is not a pretty sight, neither is the price for a broken half shaft. I wouldn't mind spending the cash on these parts had I liked drag racing, but to drag race, break something, and then pay for something broken as a result of drag racing would not be worth it for me.
It would be criminal if you took that car to the track IMO. Treat it with respect, don't abuse it. Highway runs are fine. Beating on it from a dig is another story.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

Really?

Just let it out slowly, than get on it. It will be ok.

I'm just messing with you, rofl.

I've been eyeing up the zo6 lately, damn, they are a steal at the moment. Why buy a new one, when you can get one 2 years old with less than 4k miles for 45k. That's a bargain to me alright.

After seeing you guys playing with the big guns. I might just wait it out some more. Ford gt, Dodge viper 08+, zr1, well, I will leave it at those. All excellent cars. And the italian cars, well, I'll stop there, rofl.

My kids go to college in less than 8 years, I don't want to take away from those college funds.

But I've pondered getting one of those new toys. The z06 and the vipers are just at the perfect price point at the moment. Like I said, perhaps waiting 2-3 years, those zr1s, etc will be in the 70k range or less. Trying to get some pricing on the ford gt. But they are still at 100k+.

No more farting around in building a street car. I'm just going to buy one fast stock than go from there.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

It would be criminal if you took that car to the track IMO. Treat it with respect, don't abuse it. Highway runs are fine. Beating on it from a dig is another story.
He could always borrow someone's gps! That certainly would give you an idea alright.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

Just a guess, but I'm usually pretty close. I'll say 141-143mph to be a little conservative...that's with me driving though so I'll have to take it for a spin!

Exactly, Unti. The only track the car will ever see is the HWY track I race on..
Old 09-10-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

Exactly, Unti. The only track the car will ever see is the HWY track I race on..
Fadi, when did you give up your z06? Damn, I hate when I miss good threads.

edit: Wait, better yet, when did you get the TT Lambo?
Old 09-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
Just let it out slowly, than get on it. It will be ok.

I'm just messing with you, rofl.

I've been eyeing up the zo6 lately, damn, they are a steal at the moment. Why buy a new one, when you can get one 2 years old with less than 4k miles for 45k. That's a bargain to me alright.

After seeing you guys playing with the big guns. I might just wait it out some more. Ford gt, Dodge viper 08+, zr1, well, I will leave it at those. All excellent cars. And the italian cars, well, I'll stop there, rofl.

My kids go to college in less than 8 years, I don't want to take away from those college funds.

But I've pondered getting one of those new toys. The z06 and the vipers are just at the perfect price point at the moment. Like I said, perhaps waiting 2-3 years, those zr1s, etc will be in the 70k range or less. Trying to get some pricing on the ford gt. But they are still at 100k+.

No more farting around in building a street car. I'm just going to buy one fast stock than go from there.
There are A LOT of bargains out there right now. Get 'em while you can. I am not sure how much longer the economy is going to be bottomed out.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

There are A LOT of bargains out there right now. Get 'em while you can. I am not sure how much longer the economy is going to be bottomed out.
Wow, I coudn't agree more Fadi. It's amazing how the prices are at the moment. I'm not sure where you live at, I can't seem to find any used lambo's in the area. I'm in the Maryland/DC area. I see the new lambo dealer in DC, nothing used.

With the looks of those Lambo's, now I see why you went that route. It's a sweet looking ride alright.

I'd think I'd take a lambo, ferarri or masserati anyday over american muscle. Those cars are just beautiful. Don't get me wrong, I love the american stuff, but wow, those Italian cars just bleed beauty.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by itsslow98
i wouldnt say the gallardo is the worst drag car ever, underground seems to have made one pretty fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BwIniaHIUE

If you look at the trap speed you'll know the Gallardo is not the best for 1/4
that car have over 1200awhp its 230+mph car in mile.

Damn.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Staging Lane

Posting that video proves that the Gallardo is NOT a drag car. Get a Viper or a Vet to go 169 in the 1/4 and they will see low 8's ALL day long.

The Gallardo is a top end monster, not a drag car.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know anything about super cars like this, but with this kind of power, say your pulling onto the highway on ramp at 20 or 30mph or so, and there's a viper behind you. If your in the ZR1 and punch it, won't you just light the tires up and spin all the way up the offramp even if you try your best to feather it and hook while if you were in the Lambo all four tires would hook and you'd be off. Or is the ZR1's tires so huge they hook to? I'll never have a car like your guys' so humor me. Closest I'll get is Forza Its funny how you guys talk about your cars and not really being that fast when my 320rwhp T/A still scares me down the track
Old 09-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a Viper or a Vet to go 169 in the 1/4 and they will see low 8's ALL day long.
More like 8.40-8.50's realistically unless they cut some 1.20x short times.
Either way, you're right.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by racerns
I did this on my first day ever running the car at the track. My shifting on that run is was not near as good as Jorday can do. For comparison on the same track, same day, same lane, within about 30 mins dgdoc (#7 on the stock Z06 fast list at corvetteforum) ran his personal best of 11.42 @ 124.8 mph in his bone stock '06 C6 Z06. Dgdoc is a much more experienced drag racer than me. I see no reason why Jorday would not be able to get a stock one into the low 130s mph and 137mph with the way is car is now.
Thanks for the kind words on the shifting my ZR1 brother.

Your post illustrates what I've been saying for months. In the 1/4 mile, same track, same day, equal drivers, both the ZR1 and Z06 being stock it's tough for the Z06 to stay within .5 and 5 mph of the ZR1.

You stated that dgdoc is a better driver than you, but when raced on the same day same track as your pass his Z06 still trailed your car by about .4 and 4 mph.

As I said earlier, I went 133 (132.88 to be exact) in good weather in my full bolt on 07 Z06. I checked the list, and that run is still the all time mph record for a C6Z without a cam in it and one of only 3 guys ever to reach 130 mph in a C6Z with the stock cam still in it and no power adder. And like I said, that old car of mine is NOT EVEN CLOSE to my ZR1 now.

Wait for some kick *** fall weather with good DAs. I'll make some predictions to see how smart I am, lol.

I think when the good weather hits everywhere, all of the following could and probably will happen:

Someone will probably run a 10.80-10.90 in a stock ZR1.
Someone will likely run 10.70s in a ZR1 with tires only.
Someone will run 132-133 mph in a stock one. Some nut like me is gonna go to the track when it's 25 degress out and run some big mph.
I think I might get 138 out of my car in the right weather and if I can get the clutch to stop slipping.

I remember being at the track one day in my 2000 T/A and there were flurries while we were racing. I think it was 19 degrees out, lol.

Really?

138-140? It has to be higher than that. In runs against modded liter bikes your car is already running away by 120 mph. Seems it's gotta be faster than that to beat up on bikes so easily.

For sure, it's a buyer's market if you have the coins right now.
Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
I don't know anything about super cars like this, but with this kind of power, say your pulling onto the highway on ramp at 20 or 30mph or so, and there's a viper behind you. If your in the ZR1 and punch it, won't you just light the tires up and spin all the way up the offramp even if you try your best to feather it and hook while if you were in the Lambo all four tires would hook and you'd be off. Or is the ZR1's tires so huge they hook to? I'll never have a car like your guys' so humor me. Closest I'll get is Forza Its funny how you guys talk about your cars and not really being that fast when my 320rwhp T/A still scares me down the track
Well, for one, I'm running 345/35R18 MT ET Street Drag Radials on my car in the back. They are some mean tires. Even with all my recent mods and 645 rwtq the car can barely spin them in 1st gear, and the tires won't spin at all in 2nd.

With the stock 335/25R20 Michelin PS2 tires out back, it will vaporize the tires instantly in 2nd gear and still spins some in 3rd gear from 80-90 mph.

I have the CCW "drag pack" which consists of 18x13 rear wheels and 18x4.5 front runners. The wheels are specially made so they can still be 18" wheels and still fit over the gigantic ZR1 brakes.

We thought the car was going to look gay with 18" wheels on it especially with the skinny frontrunners, but it actually looks pretty cool.

In the videos shown, I'm running the MT rear tires, but stock front wheels and tires.

Tires don't tell the whole story, though. Another thing is suspension. The ZR1 magnetic ride suspension does a remarkable job of putting the power to the ground. With 530+ rwhp stock it hooks up from 2nd gear every time. Now, compare that to the little brother Z06. In a C6Z with anything over about 500 rwhp 2nd gear is completely useless due to wheelspin. The ZR1 suspension puts power to the ground.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Launching!

well at this point i just dont know what to beleave...Every review and time slip ive seen for the ZR1 has them doing 11's at 126-129 mph...I havent seen any stock 10's from them at this point..And only a few 130 mph trapp speeds..

But I have seen stock 10 second passes from the 08 vipers and even the Z06..as well as 130 mph trapp speeds from the 08 viper and 127 mph trapp speeds from the z06...

Do i really beleave a stock z06 can hit a 10.9 with a lil 124-127 trapp speed..NOPE...

But I do bealeave a 130 mph trapping Viper or ZR1 can do it...

My point is..If reviews have even had head to head were the 08 Viper trapped a lil higher than the Zr1 and the also rare 2008 viper already has dead stock 10's...Then why is the ZR1 so fast according to you....

at 3350 pounds and 540 rwhp ZR1 vrs 3450 pounds and 530 rwhp 08 Viper...I would think it's extremely close...

But you obviously have the experiance and I dont..So Ill take your word..

Fadi...Dont insult me bro...I wouldnt even take a ZR1 from anyone for free....Ive had a vette and weather a base what ever or ZR1 they all look the same to me...Actually Id prefer a Z06 if I ever were to go back down that road..Lighter NA power..No disrespect to Jorday but that just my opinion..

Now Fadi to your 126 mph claim...I swear you had a subtle mod done to that car and could only must a still impressive 125 mph when actually dead stock...You said over and over again that the mod added no performance 1/4 mile wise but a mod is a mod is a mod...

Anyway fadi just ignore/ignore/ignore like you said you would and lets get it back on topic...

Jorday..I still beleave in a trapp speed around 134ish mph...Hope you can do better but thats the way the math is working for me right now....

Those full bolt on C6Z06's are monsters and light as hell..**** you were probally at a race weight of 3000 pounds after the mods and less fuel..Then around 500 rwhp na...MONSTER...

I really hope you can hit the 136-139 range man....That would be AWESOME...

It was a pleasure meeting you..And please dont judge me by Fadi..We have a really stupid past were really we just cared about the same things...The cars....But thought we were both right ( and the fact that he's a Viper hater) after getting a SRT10 and being so pissed that a lightly modded rt10 could hang with him...He became him
Old 09-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Launching!

heres the only review I know of were they pitted a 08 viper and ZR1...

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...6cac7f8017.pdf

the Viper trapped a 128 and the Zr1 a 127..The ZR1 hit 140 mph in 14.0 and the Viper in 14.2...But the Viper hit 150 in 16.4 where the ZR1 hit 150 in 17.1...

Seems like a drivers race...

But you actually did it and the ZR1 pulled by 3 cars no problem...Well atleaste now I know....But man oh man why did you guys not get a vid of a ZR1 and 08 Viper...
Old 09-10-2009, 10:17 PM
10 Second Club

We didn't actually run the viper against the ZR1. I traded the viper in on the ZR1.

The story is this. I raced a guy with a TT 350Z in my viper, and he beat me by a couple of cars every time. A couple of days later I bought the ZR1, and the next afternoon after I bought the ZR1 I raced that same car and won every single race against him. The ZR1 only had 100 miles on it at that time, and it seemed to pick up noticeable power a couple thousand miles later. So, it was not a direct head to head comparison but I do feel it is an accurate representation of what would have happened had there been a head to head race. If I had both cars at the same time for any amount of time I would have driven the ZR1 and had Fadi drive the viper against me. He can bang gears with the best of 'em.

There is a video of the TT 350Z pulling my viper somewhere, but I'm not sure if we got a video of the 350Z against the ZR1.

Give it some time for more ZR1 owners to hit the track with better weather, and maybe we will see more ETs and MPH that are consistent with our findings.

As far as the modded Z06s go, they are tough customers, not doubt. I raced a 508 rwhp 08 C6Z with my ZR1 when it was stock and beat him both runs. The driving skills of the guy in the Z06 were called into question, but from what we observed that car couldn't reel in the stock ZR1 at any speed. About a million guys on CF called BS on that video, so Fadi and I called out anyone that felt they could do better. No one stepped up. I'm sure we will see more head to head runs as more ZR1s hit the streets.

Regarding 1/4 mile times in the ZR1...it's a blown car and you have to take extra measures to minimize heat soak to maximize performance. The stock tune is very conservative, and it will pull timing and dump boost pressure through the bypass valve at the slightest hint of IAT increase. On one particular dyno run when the car had been heat soaked some and it was a hot and humid July day, the PCM had the boost as low as 8.7 psi and the car still made 520 rwhp. Heat soak is a power killer, but the car is a blown car and it comes with the territory unfortunately.

I can offer a possible explanation on those 140 and 150 mph times. At 140 both cars are in 4th and the ZR1 had the quicker time. They were probably shifting the ZR1 into 5th just before 150 mph which cost some time, while the viper stays in 4th until around 165 mph or so. However, after the viper hits 5th gear, it's over. The ZR1 runs away.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Killemall
well at this point i just dont know what to beleave...Every review and time slip ive seen for the ZR1 has them doing 11's at 126-129 mph...I havent seen any stock 10's from them at this point..And only a few 130 mph trapp speeds..
This is a video of Ranger guest driving the same stock ZR1 I ran. This was late in the day after +25 passes and we has just put the drag radials on before our time was up. Since he was guest driving he did not do his normal agressive launch and 1-2 shift. You will notice that his 60' time was not even as good as mine on the stock tires but his shifting got him the 10. We think that with a good launch (1.6s 60'), little better weather, and more cool down time that a 10.6 should be doable. After his first 2 runs, he had +130mph traps all day in that car, stock tire or drag radial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbJAyCFmMwI
Old 09-10-2009, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

Jordan, like I said before, ignore everything killemall says. It's like listening to a 4 yr old discuss politics.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Crashemall

But I have seen stock 10 second passes from the 08 vipers and even the Z06..as well as 130 mph trapp speeds from the 08 viper and 127 mph trapp speeds from the z06...

Do i really beleave a stock z06 can hit a 10.9 with a lil 124-127 trapp speed..NOPE...

But I do bealeave a 130 mph trapping Viper or ZR1 can do it...

My point is..If reviews have even had head to head were the 08 Viper trapped a lil higher than the Zr1 and the also rare 2008 viper already has dead stock 10's...Then why is the ZR1 so fast according to you....

at 3350 pounds and 540 rwhp ZR1 vrs 3450 pounds and 530 rwhp 08 Viper...I would think it's extremely close...

But you obviously have the experiance and I dont..So Ill take your word..

Fadi...Dont insult me bro...I wouldnt even take a ZR1 from anyone for free....Ive had a vette and weather a base what ever or ZR1 they all look the same to me...Actually Id prefer a Z06 if I ever were to go back down that road..Lighter NA power..No disrespect to Jorday but that just my opinion..

Now Fadi to your 126 mph claim...I swear you had a subtle mod done to that car and could only must a still impressive 125 mph when actually dead stock...You said over and over again that the mod added no performance 1/4 mile wise but a mod is a mod is a mod...

Anyway fadi just ignore/ignore/ignore like you said you would and lets get it back on topic...

Jorday..I still beleave in a trapp speed around 134ish mph...Hope you can do better but thats the way the math is working for me right now....

Those full bolt on C6Z06's are monsters and light as hell..**** you were probally at a race weight of 3000 pounds after the mods and less fuel..Then around 500 rwhp na...MONSTER...

I really hope you can hit the 136-139 range man....That would be AWESOME...

It was a pleasure meeting you..And please dont judge me by Fadi..We have a really stupid past were really we just cared about the same things...The cars....But thought we were both right ( and the fact that he's a Viper hater) after getting a SRT10 and being so pissed that a lightly modded rt10 could hang with him...He became him
That made my head hurt. Keep reading motor Trend and the rest of us will live in the real world and know the truth. There has been a couple of ZO6's in the 10's stock, I'm sure a ZR1 would not have an issue beating that with a good driver.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:18 AM
Launching!

I do live in the real world bro..And i get to drive cars/trucks fast everyday for a living..Legally...

a car that averages 124 mph is not a 10 second car..A C6Z06 is not a 10 second car by any means what so ever....

A couple of guys have ran 11.5's in their 2003 SRT10 Vipers at 123-124 mph dead stock..

But a car that averages 121 mph is far from a mid 11 second car...

Manalishi....Never mind Im done with it...Go by a Z06 if you dont already have one and when you run a 11.8-12.1 at 121-124 mph..Come and tell me how it's a 10 second car...

Ive beat a Z06 in head to head 1/4 mile runs so I guess my lil 480 rwhp Viper was a 10 second car too....he he he...By your logic atleaste.