Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

I have to bust on the Crustang...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 11:26 PM
STF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I have to bust on the Crustang...

I was rereading a Hotrod magazine the other day and ran across a article about building a Bullitt Crustang with bolt-ons. It was titled 4.6L Power!(isn't that a oxymoron) Anyway. The Buttlett has a mind boggling 243 rwhp and 285 rwtq stock. I don't understand the need to improve on that much power! Well to make a long story short they put a HPP3, shortie headers, underdrive pulleys, throttlebody, 3.73 gears, aluminum driveshaft, and a K&N filter. After all of those bolt-ons the Rustang busted out with an incredible 260 rwhp and 315 rwtq. Is it street legal to have that much power? If I had done all that work and got those results I would have to go to the Ford manufacturing facility and kick someone in the nuts.

That's all I have to say about that.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:40 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

The mind boggles at how much money they threw at that thing for almost no gain.

But as hot rod said, the mustang is superior to the f-body.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:42 AM
STF Veteran

what's a HPP3? computer chip?

honestly, i think only the shorty headers and the underdrive pullies are actually performance mods... cause a new throttlebody isn't likely to do much on those cars. kinda like putting a new mass air meter on our cars. half the time you gain a bit, half the time you lose a bit.

i'd much rather see 1/4 mile times before and after, cause the driveshaft and gears arn't gonna show up on the dyno sheet's peak numbers.

also, before you kick those ford engineers in the nuts, the bullitt is producing around 53rwhp per liter stock... which is right in line with the best of the LS1 engines, and a good bit stronger than the LT1 or TPI engines. the only problem with the sohc modular engines is that they don't have enough displacement. you really wanna kick ford engineers in the nuts, go after the famed 5.0 (of which i had one so i am qualified to speak on the subject). it was only putting out 35rwhp per liter, yet it is a beloved and respected engine...

the modular engines get a lot more **** than they deserve in my opinion.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:43 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

4.6L 2V that runs 10.33 @ 129mph

It's not impossible to make the 4.6L 2V motor potent. It is very expensive though. I completely agree that they are POS's from the factory. I'm telling you from experience though...be careful because you might run into a monster someday. There is a guy running around here in street trim that traps almost 130mph. You'd never know it to look at it.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:57 AM
STF Veteran

true, it happens, but not often. i am much more concerned with 87-93 foxbody mustangs still on the road than i am with anything built afterwards (not counting the new cobra and mach 1). most mustang guys who really are into building up the car choose the 87-93 cars.

i was just saying that mechanically speaking, it does a very good job of turning air and gasoline into horsepower, considering the ammount of displacement it has to work with, especially compared to earlier ford engines. look back at the 60s when we had big blocks in the realm of 450ci producing like 350hp (and that's not counting drag from engine accessories etc like we do today), and you just scratch your head and go "huh"? don't forget those engines were considered beasts of their time.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats pathetic!
Old 11-30-2003, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

www.seanhylandmotorsport.com
Old 11-30-2003, 10:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

How about this Crustang. They did this article in MM and FF. Ford 2002 mustang GT with the 4.6 liter SOHC motor. they added the kenne bell twin screw supercharger, and started upping the booost slowly. by the time they were done, with the only mod being a choke master. the car made 511 rwhp and 520.6 lb feet of torque. Mods done were, KB blower, KB cold air intake, 90mm Mass air meter with chip, 75mm throttle body, 2 3/8 inch smaller pulley, and race fuel! THAT IS OFF STOCK MOTOR. now if you added a better cams, heads and a cobra forged bottom end. YOU HAVE A BAD *** LITTLE SOHC MOTOR
Old 11-30-2003, 12:31 PM
STF Veteran

the sohc and dohc both respond very well to forced induction. you can only go so far because of the 9:1 compression ratio (10:1 in the cobra!) and the hyperecutec (sp?) pistons though.

if the rumors ever come true, and the mustang GT gets the 5.0L version of the modular (in which case the cobra would probably get the 5.4L version), watch out. all those engines need is some more displacement to get them back up into the running with our cars.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:58 PM
STF Veteran

stupid mustangs
Old 11-30-2003, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skarecrow
the sohc and dohc both respond very well to forced induction. you can only go so far because of the 9:1 compression ratio (10:1 in the cobra!) and the hyperecutec (sp?) pistons though.

if the rumors ever come true, and the mustang GT gets the 5.0L version of the modular (in which case the cobra would probably get the 5.4L version), watch out. all those engines need is some more displacement to get them back up into the running with our cars.
Blower + High revs (4.6L modular S/DOHC) =
Old 11-30-2003, 03:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

what's a HPP3? computer chip?

also, before you kick those ford engineers in the nuts, the bullitt is producing around 53rwhp per liter stock... which is right in line with the best of the LS1 engines, and a good bit stronger than the LT1 or TPI engines. the only problem with the sohc modular engines is that they don't have enough displacement. you really wanna kick ford engineers in the nuts, go after the famed 5.0 (of which i had one so i am qualified to speak on the subject). it was only putting out 35rwhp per liter, yet it is a beloved and respected engine...

the modular engines get a lot more **** than they deserve in my opinion.
thank you for saying this finally .....the 4.6 sohc is so underrated ..not hp numbers but in respect ....these engines are so detuned to make them streetable ..just look over at modulardepot.com youll find plenty of low 12 second n/a 2v's with no more than 320rwhp ....these motors love to rev ....as i can speak from experince since ive owned one since 2000...the 2v motor is a monster once you get it up in the high rpm's ...if you read my last post ..i hung dead even with a new c5 vert and a c4 coupe from a third gear roll...i was in my powerband at about 3500rpm's ...from that speed in that gear my car hangs with the best of em ....now im not saying everyone with a 2 valve will do this ..me myself i think ima good driver and it shows ....i get asked many many times if i have a cobra (cobra wheels and cobra front ) and not many people can believe that its only a gt ....ive pulled on many cars i shouldnt have ..and ive come to respect my little 281 ...ive thought about selling it ..but why ? you ls1 guys need some compitition and its soon coming stay tuned ...also you have to realize ..there are not ONE set of aftermarket heads yet for the modmotor ...and only now are a couple aluminum intakes coming out ....go do some research on the 2v and youll see why its a slouch from the factory ...only gears and the gt will take a cobra no problem (99-01 ) .....all these motors need is a stroker kit (4.6 to 5.0) and ported heads ,cams ,blah blah ..and you got some compitition ..now just wait for the heads ...i know im waiting ..peace fella s oh and btw wheres blownchevy i saw him yesterday driving ..gave him a peace sign and we went on our ways ...lata
Old 11-30-2003, 03:23 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by Super Mario
Blower + High revs (4.6L modular S/DOHC) =
correct sir
Old 11-30-2003, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

...compression ratio (10:1 in the cobra!)...
I hope you're not referring to a 10:1 compression ratio in the '03 Cobras. If so, you should do a little research.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:34 PM
STF Veteran

no, i think the new cobra has 8.4:1 doesn't it?

the two previous cobra engines (96-98 and 99/01) both had high compression engines, but now that i think about it, maybe it was actually 9.6:1 not 10:1...
Old 11-30-2003, 05:37 PM
TECH Regular

everyday i learn something new.......
Old 11-30-2003, 05:52 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 2Fast2Furious
Thats pathetic!
yup
Old 11-30-2003, 06:05 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2Fast2Furious
Thats pathetic!
Did you seriously call a car that has double the hp as your car, and runs 2 second quicker ET's ... Pathetic?

ROTFL!! I really hope you are kidding us.

Btw, that is some funny **** 99LS1SS.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:42 PM
Staging Lane

This reminds me of a story of a night down at Cecil. I saw this group of kids probably like 10 about 8 guys and 2 girls following this fox body cobra through the pits. Everytime it moved they all moved and stood next to it. Then i see it ready to run and all the kids standing around watching. The cobra does a nice long burnout and I was like it must be pretty fast. Well it runs a 14.14 and all the kids just looked at each other and looked like they were making excuses to each other. To me it was like they all like hailed this kid for his "fast" car or they had a hand in building it and they just got the biggest disapointment in their life. I guess the catback and CAI didnt give them the 100hp they were expecting. These are the kids that need help or a little more info. Be realistic how fast your car is and understand that what most companies say about their aftermarket products are 9 times out of 10 waaaaay overrated. Not bashing on all mustangs cause I liked how the cobra looked but everyone really need to start being honest/ and read up a little more. I like alot of other people on this board would rather just stick with an f-bod. But i def. wouldnt mind a new cobra in the garage.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

did anyone read my post or see the article i referred you all to. it is last months Muscle Mustang and Fast Fords