Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

GTA vs 350z

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 12:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
I'm on Proxy's as well. Mine is a bolt on car but its a LS6 crate engine instead of the LS1. It probably weighs close to 4000 lbs. If you want to run a DR thats cool. Its just for fun anyway. If I lose I lose.
I think a roll would be a good idea, like 40? we can try different things, if your on proxys then I should just run them too. are you auto or 6spd?
Old 10-30-2009, 12:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Camaro350z2897
well im the lonely washington guy of the post with an LT1 yay for me? ha
where are you located?
Old 10-30-2009, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by firechicken76
I think a roll would be a good idea, like 40? we can try different things, if your on proxys then I should just run them too. are you auto or 6spd?
I row my own. I don't care what we run. Roll or dig I'm down. I like digs better but I am not going to turn down a run because its from a roll. You choose the race man or we can do both.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where are you located?
im down in vancouver would be nice to meet up with a couple people get some friends who actually enjoy cars
Old 10-30-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice kill on the 350Z, OP. I think a GTA with an LS1 swap is a very cool car, especially with a 6-speed and 9-inch. What tires are you running, though? With a 111 trap speed, you should be hitting mid 12s, maybe high 12s if you're still having some traction issues.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Nice kill on the 350Z, OP. I think a GTA with an LS1 swap is a very cool car, especially with a 6-speed and 9-inch. What tires are you running, though? With a 111 trap speed, you should be hitting mid 12s, maybe high 12s if you're still having some traction issues.

thanks
I had some bald stree tires that run, i went and bought some bf goodrich DR's
15/60/275, after that
Old 10-30-2009, 11:38 PM
Staging Lane

PM sent to Firechicken before I read the post to find out where you live. I'm in city of Snohomish (just east of Everett). My brother lives nearby and has a '87 IROC SLP Firehawk clone. When it hooks, he runs 12.8 at 105? with a 1.8 60'. Got a spot nearby where we can dig race on a nice wide newly paved road with near zero traffic if you're interested.

FYI: you dont have to put a LS1 into a third gen to get power! SLP T ram like my brothers 87 has or a Holley Stealth Ram like his 90 vert has work just fine.. along with Trick Flow, AFR, or a slew of other heads available... My bro is getting ready to put his AFR 205's on soon to replace his old Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads which should put him solidly in the low 12's; mid to high 11's if he gets a bigger cam than his GM Hot Cam he is currently running. Here's his car doing burnouts when he was trying to kill his tires so he could justify getting new ones to go on his ZR1 17" rims:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tCnxP_bzQY

PM me if any of you are interested. I'll run my GTO if you want, or film from my ZX-14 while following you. Gotta love HD camcorders!
Old 10-31-2009, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
PM sent to Firechicken before I read the post to find out where you live. I'm in city of Snohomish (just east of Everett). My brother lives nearby and has a '87 IROC SLP Firehawk clone. When it hooks, he runs 12.8 at 105? with a 1.8 60'. Got a spot nearby where we can dig race on a nice wide newly paved road with near zero traffic if you're interested.

FYI: you dont have to put a LS1 into a third gen to get power! SLP T ram like my brothers 87 has or a Holley Stealth Ram like his 90 vert has work just fine.. along with Trick Flow, AFR, or a slew of other heads available... My bro is getting ready to put his AFR 205's on soon to replace his old Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads which should put him solidly in the low 12's; mid to high 11's if he gets a bigger cam than his GM Hot Cam he is currently running. Here's his car doing burnouts when he was trying to kill his tires so he could justify getting new ones to go on his ZR1 17" rims:

PM me if any of you are interested. I'll run my GTO if you want, or film from my ZX-14 while following you. Gotta love HD camcorders!
'87 IROC SLP Firehawk clone? so is it a camaro or firebird?

and you dont need to have an ls1 to go fast, but you have to do alot to the tpi 350 to get it to move. just swapping an ls1 to a third gen can get you into the mid to high 12's.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I cant keep up with you right now, not until I get my heads and cam installed. then ill run ya

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones

Old 11-08-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey Manalishi, bought a new car part today
Old 11-08-2009, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey Manalishi, bought a new car part today
That doesn't sound good for me. LOL! What did you get?
Old 11-08-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That doesn't sound good for me. LOL! What did you get?

a complete Radix magnacharger kit
found a Killer deal on it, couldnt pass it up!

its meant for a 4.8, 5.3, or 6.0. but since the 5.7 is pretty much the same AND third gens dont have their motors halfway under the windshield it will work....

and speartech did a 91 z28 w/ an ls1 and a radix so i know it will work.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a complete Radix magnacharger kit
found a Killer deal on it, couldnt pass it up!

its meant for a 4.8, 5.3, or 6.0. but since the 5.7 is pretty much the same AND third gens dont have their motors halfway under the windshield it will work....

and speartech did a 91 z28 w/ an ls1 and a radix so i know it will work.
Damn dude I will be sucking after that. O-well. It will still be fun.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn dude I will be sucking after that. O-well. It will still be fun.
ill try to meet up with you before I do the work. Have you ever worked on anything like this? I mean are you very mechanically inclined? Im getting all the details from speartech about what I need to do to get this thing operational. I need truck accessories, different fuel injectors that will work on an ls1, and a few odds and ends.

Im considering putting those heads I have on there, along with an ls6 camshaft. h/c/FI I really want to make 500+ RWHP, I was only planning on 410ish with just the heads and cam.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ill try to meet up with you before I do the work. Have you ever worked on anything like this? I mean are you very mechanically inclined? Im getting all the details from speartech about what I need to do to get this thing operational. I need truck accessories, different fuel injectors that will work on an ls1, and a few odds and ends.

Im considering putting those heads I have on there, along with an ls6 camshaft. h/c/FI I really want to make 500+ RWHP, I was only planning on 410ish with just the heads and cam.
I've been a diesel mechanic my whole life. I can lend a hand.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been a diesel mechanic my whole life. I can lend a hand.
that would be great, Ive got a shop, with a pit, cherry picker, tools etc.

I just need to get every nut and bolt in order before Im ready. and I have to decide for sure if im going to do H/c and the maggie, or just the maggie. so ill call up the company that makes these and find out about how much power I should be making and what pulley to use, im thinking 2.9 or 3.0 pulley. 6-8 psi. I plan on having it dyno tuned also.

an advantage to selling my heads and cam I have would be more money, for accessories, smaller pulley, gauges, hood etc. and I think with those extras installed i would need a better clutch than my ls7.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that would be great, Ive got a shop, with a pit, cherry picker, tools etc.

I just need to get every nut and bolt in order before Im ready. and I have to decide for sure if im going to do H/c and the maggie, or just the maggie. so ill call up the company that makes these and find out about how much power I should be making and what pulley to use, im thinking 2.9 or 3.0 pulley. 6-8 psi. I plan on having it dyno tuned also.

an advantage to selling my heads and cam I have would be more money, for accessories, smaller pulley, gauges, hood etc. and I think with those extras installed i would need a better clutch than my ls7.
The LS7 clutch isn't going to be very happy at 500HP and repeated launches. Normal driving and the occasional spirited drive I think it would be OK. I'd get a twin disk if it were me. Just for the peace of mind. Once you get it all figured out let me know and I'll be glad to turn some wrenches.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The LS7 clutch isn't going to be very happy at 500HP and repeated launches. Normal driving and the occasional spirited drive I think it would be OK. I'd get a twin disk if it were me. Just for the peace of mind. Once you get it all figured out let me know and I'll be glad to turn some wrenches.
sweet, thanks! I think it will be more of the second one, im to far from a drag strip to go all the time, and ill probably be fighting traction. But Ya, it will probably be a couple months, Ive got to have a long conversation with speartech about what they did to their car. But ill shoot you a pm when im ready
Old 11-09-2009, 12:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sweet, thanks! I think it will be more of the second one, im to far from a drag strip to go all the time, and ill probably be fighting traction. But Ya, it will probably be a couple months, Ive got to have a long conversation with speartech about what they did to their car. But ill shoot you a pm when im ready
Sounds good man. Let me now and I'll lend a hand.