Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

NEW CAMARO! Lets hear what you got.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Mine did... in fact I trapped 108.59mph on the very same track where speedy posted his 109.08mph trap. His DA was 986ft while I was -127ft... I am no where near the driver he is which is evident by his 60ft and ET but to say I am 3mph behind a new 2010 SS is a bit of a stretch considering.

Also a big newsflash for you...those magazine times are CORRECTED!!!! They didn't actually trap that high in those horrible conditions.... they were hurt by the heat as much as the next car and those trap speeds are a 'reflection' of what it would have run in 'ideal' conditions.

For holding these magazines as gospel you certainly don't seem to read up on HOW they actually get their results.
no where in the magazine does it say corrected times or testing methods. I've said it before and I'll say it again, all the cars do better here than the times ever posted in any magazine, period. Second, you are a rare one. Look it up, the average ls1s don't trap 108 as I pointed out before.

again, non of you went here to read the comments from people here already.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/2010-cama...camaro-ss.html

fact is, all the 4th generation peeps bash the generation 5 camaro just as the other link stated above has stated too.

There's not even an edge in the cars as big hammer seems to think. 3-4mph on average in trap speed dictates it all.

Here's a quotes from the other link above. There's many similar there. How ironic on the trap speeds. He said even higher than I posted.

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
What in the hell is wrong with people. So this is a slow time...so what. Some mags ran 13.8 with the ls1 cars at 103mph.

Why is it that when a new car comes out it is automatically compared with the absolute best times ever achieved by the previous model?

13.0 at 111 has been achieved by a couple different sources. That is a good 3-4 mph over the highest traps EVER recorded in stock ls1 cars. So basically this thing nearly matches the best ET ever recorded for a stock 4th gen while using 20 inch wheels and smokes its trap speed right out of the gate in a magazine test and this isnt good enough?

Now give the new camaro some time to break in, some differing conditions, and some drivers who can make the 20's hook and mid 12's will happen stock I guarantee it. And The same goes for the trap...I doubt 111 is the fastest they will go stock. 113-114 wouldnt surprise me either.

but let me guess...this still isnt good enough

and yeah it will still be a 13 second car to the average driver...you know why? let me think hmmm...maybe because it isnt easy to launch a vehicle with over 400 horsepower and then perfectly powershift it down the track at just the right rpm on just the right day with just the right conditions blah blah blah.

Have you ever seen average drivers race vipers, ferraris whatever you name it, guess what they run with them most of the time.... 13's and even 14's. That will never change.

A shitty driver could maybe even do a little better with a 4th gen because they are easier to launch. But this doesnt change the fact that the 5th gen is the faster car
This reminds me of the lt1 and ls1 days. Like dejavoo all over again, rofl.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Second, you are a rare one. Look it up, the average ls1s don't trap 108 as I pointed out before.
Look around this board and you will find 109 stock LS1 traps and far more than 1 or 2 people with 108mph traps stock.

If you look at that list I posted (from actual 2010 owners and their results a 108 isn't the average trap of a new 2010 SS either... people can't drive, run in bad conditions, etc...

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
no where in the magazine does it say corrected times or testing methods. I've said it before and I'll say it again, all the cars do better here than the times ever posted in any magazine, period.
Skim over these and tell me I am wrong about magazine times... please....

[InsideLine]
http://www.insideline.com/features/h...nd-trucks.html
- Closed Facility (Not a 1/4 mile track)
- Vbox 3 Used - GPS Datalogger
- Final results are adjusted for Weather Conditions

[Car and Driver]
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...est_cars_-info
- Vbox Used - GPS Datalogger
- When cars aren't available here or in California, we simply take the equipment to the source and rent a nearby drag strip or racetrack
- Michigan testing is done at DaimlerChrysler's proving ground in Chelsea
- To eliminate the effects of weather on performance, we employ proprietary empirical correction factors

[Motortrend]
They are not as forthcoming about their testing..but simple reading comprehension yields great results....

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...tion_runs.html
-Employing our customary one-foot rollout and SAE weather correction

[taken from hotrod]
http://www.hotrod.com/projectbuild/1..._gt/index.html
. Although our sister magazine Motor Trend recently published a report of an automatic-equipped '05 running 13.6 in the quarter-mile, we'll chalk that up to an optimistic weather-correction factor

If you took the time to look at any of these magazine closer than just looking up the 1/4 mile times for said cars and memorizing them you might have realized what was going on all by yourself.

This reminds me of the lt1 and ls1 days. Like dejavoo all over again, rofl.
Minus the fact that there is no 2010 Camaro bashing going on and LS1 cars are CLEARLY faster than LT1 cars, I used to own a 1995 LT1 Z28... trust me I know...
Old 11-04-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

Look around this board and you will find 109 stock LS1 traps and far more than 1 or 2 people with 108mph traps stock.

If you look at that list I posted (from actual 2010 owners and their results a 108 isn't the average trap of a new 2010 SS either... people can't drive, run in bad conditions, etc...

Skim over these and tell me I am wrong about magazine times... please....

[InsideLine]
http://www.insideline.com/features/h...nd-trucks.html
- Closed Facility (Not a 1/4 mile track)
- Vbox 3 Used - GPS Datalogger
- Final results are adjusted for Weather Conditions

[Car and Driver]
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...est_cars_-info
- Vbox Used - GPS Datalogger
- When cars aren't available here or in California, we simply take the equipment to the source and rent a nearby drag strip or racetrack
- Michigan testing is done at DaimlerChrysler's proving ground in Chelsea
- To eliminate the effects of weather on performance, we employ proprietary empirical correction factors

[Motortrend]
They are not as forthcoming about their testing..but simple reading comprehension yields great results....

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...tion_runs.html
-Employing our customary one-foot rollout and SAE weather correction

[taken from hotrod]
http://www.hotrod.com/projectbuild/1..._gt/index.html
. Although our sister magazine Motor Trend recently published a report of an automatic-equipped '05 running 13.6 in the quarter-mile, we'll chalk that up to an optimistic weather-correction factor

If you took the time to look at any of these magazine closer than just looking up the 1/4 mile times for said cars and memorizing them you might have realized what was going on all by yourself.

Minus the fact that there is no 2010 Camaro bashing going on and LS1 cars are CLEARLY faster than LT1 cars, I used to own a 1995 LT1 Z28... trust me I know...
ROFL, reguardless of the times posted in the magazine, again, I'll repeat it again, times are slower than track times here from any magazine.
so whatever their testing times are achieved is really a mute point.

Again, the average stock ls1 doesn't trap 108 or 109

again, maybe not totally in this thread as far as bashing, but in general....
I owned a 97 and 98 , sure are, 4mph difference too in average trap times from an lt1 to an ls1.

Just as the new camaro is compared to an ls1

And clearly, you didnt read any of the posts from the forum link on this site I posted above.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:56 AM
12 Second Club

ROFL, reguardless of the times posted in the magazine, again, I'll repeat it again, times are slower than track times here from any magazine.
so whatever their testing times are achieved is really a mute point.
Last I looked this place wasn't keeping a stock top list... I can think of several people off the top of my head that ran 12s bone stock in LS1 cars and trapped 108+ mph stock.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...k-a4-m6-2.html
Read there and you will even find a 110mph bone stock trap.

Again, the average stock ls1 doesn't trap 108 or 109
And 2010s are not averaging that either.

again, maybe not totally in this thread as far as bashing, but in general....
I owned a 97 and 98 , sure are, 4mph difference too in average trap times from an lt1 to an ls1.

Just as the new camaro is compared to an ls1

And clearly, you didnt read any of the posts from the forum link on this site I posted above.
This thread is the one that I was talking about... I don't care about a thread from 6 months ago where people were bashing on them.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

Last I looked this place wasn't keeping a stock top list... I can think of several people off the top of my head that ran 12s bone stock in LS1 cars and trapped 108+ mph stock.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...k-a4-m6-2.html
Read there and you will even find a 110mph bone stock trap.

And 2010s are not averaging that either.

This thread is the one that I was talking about... I don't care about a thread from 6 months ago where people were bashing on them.
As one guy posted, you are comparing the best ls1 times to a few runs on a new car. It's irrelevant.

We will have to agree to disagree.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:37 PM
12 Second Club

As one guy posted, you are comparing the best ls1 times to a few runs on a new car. It's irrelevant.

We will have to agree to disagree.
A few? Did you look at the list? I'm comparing the best to the best... the rest of those times can be skewed any so many ways it's not even funny. Hell I just managed a 14.0 at the track last weekend... better count that against the LS1 crowd in your average.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

A few? Did you look at the list? I'm comparing the best to the best... the rest of those times can be skewed any so many ways it's not even funny. Hell I just managed a 14.0 at the track last weekend... better count that against the LS1 crowd in your average.
You are missing the point. the ls1 has been out how long? I personally put 100s of passes on my lt1 and ls1. Spent allot of time at the track. Just as the ls1 did the first year, trap speeds and times gradually increased over time as more and more had seat time at the track. That's all I'm saying. To make a judgement based on a car that doesn't even have a year out on the market is an ignorant statment. The sad part, most people will probably mod it before they even get break in times. I know if I had one I would too.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

You are missing the point. the ls1 has been out how long? I personally put 100s of passes on my lt1 and ls1. Spent allot of time at the track. Just as the ls1 did the first year, trap speeds and times gradually increased over time as more and more had seat time at the track. That's all I'm saying. To make a judgement based on a car that doesn't even have a year out on the market is an ignorant statment. The sad part, most people will probably mod it before they even get break in times. I know if I had one I would too.
If they start magically trapping 110+ mph next year then we can cross that bridge when we get to it. Until then I would rather look at what has happened instead of riding the nut sack and clinging to 'hope'.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Resident

If they start magically trapping 110+ mph next year then we can cross that bridge when we get to it. Until then I would rather look at what has happened instead of riding the nut sack and clinging to 'hope'.
Perhaps, but there's enough raw data to say the cars potential. Hell, look at all the 1998 times posted out of the articles the first year. They are a disgrace to the ls1s time posted today or even just a few years ago. This very same thing happened the very first year the ls1 hit the camaros/firebirds. Everyone debated the same topic we are on now.

Honeslty, I'm hoping sales stay up with todays market. I like to see the camaro, etc stay for awhile. Or will they just push this market out for the "go green rhetoric". I hope not. This co2 crap is poison is pissing me off to no end. Who the hell wants to drive a smartcar, rofl. Those people just scare me.

Now for some real excitement, I read they are talking about a 6.4L in the challenger with 475-510hp for 2011. I read official. I doubt it will happen with the way the market and government is pushing. kind of like the new z28 with a supercharger. Now we're talking edit: Woot, its time to go home for the day. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Last edited by wickedwarlock; 11-04-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:06 PM
12 Second Club

Hell, look at all the 1998 times posted out of the articles the first year.
Magazine times...again... only back then they used a wheel and didn't apply corrections.

What about track results posted in 1998? Oh that's right..the internet wasn't like it is today back then. Those passes weren't uploaded and stored online for everyone to see like they are now. Even CZ28 only shows back to 2003 in the drag section..it's not like you can go look and see what people were actually running then with their cars new.

IIRC it was a 1999 Camaro Z28 that went 12.89 @ 108mph bone stock driven by Evan Smith at an actual track back in the day as published by MM&FF and talked about here...
Old 11-04-2009, 02:31 PM
12 Second Club

1st comparing Magazine times to real world times isn't the best thing to do because they will run a car with a full tank of gas, test equipment in the car, spare and jack in the car, and any safety gear (I.E.-traction control) in the on position. With personal users 90% of us will run the car down to < 1/4 of fuel, don't have the test equipment in the car, remove jack and spare and damn near anything else we can easily get out to save a bit of weight, and turn off safety equipment.
2nd you are trying to compare the best LS1 times to the best LS3/L99 times when the best LS1 times have been done over years of people getting to know their cars, breaking their cars in, getting good air (most of the best LS1 times are in the early months so your pulling DA's of -500 through 500). Many LS3/L99 owners have only had their cars at best 6 months and not that many passes down the strip in it. Hell most of them aren't even broken in yet (some runs with less then 1500 miles on them) and everyone can agree that any LS engine runs much stronger after breaking in. And none of them have had the chance for good weather yet. I can't wait to see what they will run when they get the chance to run in -500 DA and 40*.
The fact is the person with the new car will try and defend their new car by giving the "it's better then your, because it's newer and does this and that...). And people that have the older generations will always try and defend their rides talking down the newer generations by saying "I don't like the looks, or ours did this and that, and your no better, make all that power but look how heavy you are...).
Lets just all enjoy the fact that we're not driving damn Chrysler or Ford product or hell the worst Toyota products and move on.
Tate
Old 11-04-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

Magazine times...again... only back then they used a wheel and didn't apply corrections.

What about track results posted in 1998? Oh that's right..the internet wasn't like it is today back then. Those passes weren't uploaded and stored online for everyone to see like they are now. Even CZ28 only shows back to 2003 in the drag section..it's not like you can go look and see what people were actually running then with their cars new.

IIRC it was a 1999 Camaro Z28 that went 12.89 @ 108mph bone stock driven by Evan Smith at an actual track back in the day as published by MM&FF and talked about here...
I'm not arguing you anymore. Again, magazine times are posted to be slower than anything posted in the real world. Just as the magazine times posted back than. I have stated that 3x now. The internet was out back in 98, certainly enough to gather data from them. Again, I liked to see a professional driver take the new car out for a drive.

Originally Posted by Compg
1st comparing Magazine times to real world times isn't the best thing to do because they will run a car with a full tank of gas, test equipment in the car, spare and jack in the car, and any safety gear (I.E.-traction control) in the on position. With personal users 90% of us will run the car down to < 1/4 of fuel, don't have the test equipment in the car, remove jack and spare and damn near anything else we can easily get out to save a bit of weight, and turn off safety equipment.
2nd you are trying to compare the best LS1 times to the best LS3/L99 times when the best LS1 times have been done over years of people getting to know their cars, breaking their cars in, getting good air (most of the best LS1 times are in the early months so your pulling DA's of -500 through 500). Many LS3/L99 owners have only had their cars at best 6 months and not that many passes down the strip in it. Hell most of them aren't even broken in yet (some runs with less then 1500 miles on them) and everyone can agree that any LS engine runs much stronger after breaking in. And none of them have had the chance for good weather yet. I can't wait to see what they will run when they get the chance to run in -500 DA and 40*.
The fact is the person with the new car will try and defend their new car by giving the "it's better then your, because it's newer and does this and that...). And people that have the older generations will always try and defend their rides talking down the newer generations by saying "I don't like the looks, or ours did this and that, and your no better, make all that power but look how heavy you are...).
Lets just all enjoy the fact that we're not driving damn Chrysler or Ford product or hell the worst Toyota products and move on.
Tate
thank you!
Old 11-04-2009, 06:24 PM
12 Second Club

I'm not arguing you anymore. Again, magazine times are posted to be slower than anything posted in the real world. Just as the magazine times posted back than. I have stated that 3x now. The internet was out back in 98, certainly enough to gather data from them. Again, I liked to see a professional driver take the new car out for a drive.
Good because you have nothing to argue. Those magazine times are not comparable. End of story...

Also I didn't say the internet didn't exist.. (wow)...it was MUCH different than it is today. You can waste your time digging for a top 10 list from 1998 but I doubt you are going to have any luck.

Also your claims are rediculous...
What are you wanting here???
Pave1 - 12.86 @ 107.70 mph, (L99, A6), (DA -261)
8ty8 ls1 - 12.90 @ 107.90 mph, (L99, A6), (DA -822)
nhra stocker - 12.92 @ 109.02, (LS3, M6), (DA -23)

Do we wait until we have -2000DA before we decide they are finally running what they are capable of?

Also some of these drivers are far more capable than you are giving them credit for. What's your 'professional driver' list? I hope you don't mean the minivan testers at Motortrend.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:29 PM
12 Second Club

1st comparing Magazine times to real world times isn't the best thing to do because they will run a car with a full tank of gas, test equipment in the car, spare and jack in the car, and any safety gear (I.E.-traction control) in the on position.
Um.. bone stock records are just that...and my times were done 100% full weight and a full tank of gas (refering to the MM&FF article) you will find the trend continues. Free mods are still mods as is removing weight and is not even being discussed.

With personal users 90% of us will run the car down to < 1/4 of fuel, don't have the test equipment in the car, remove jack and spare and damn near anything else we can easily get out to save a bit of weight, and turn off safety equipment.
Thats called modding with the exception of running with a 1/4 tank...even then if you ran with the tank dry you are talking less than 100lbs of weight.

Not true at all... and record passes were done with LS1 cars the year they were built... you can use the search button on this very site to find proof. See my last post about your 'smoking gun'... they HAVE been running in the same conditions that others run in to set records. The only other claim you have if that a car with 3000 miles is going to trap 3 mph faster and magically drop off 2 to 3 tenths. I guess we will wait for that one to happen... I'm not holding my breath.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

I think the new Camaro was a ton of weight on its shoulders having to pick up from the legendary LS1 cars left off. Personally Im not impressed with them, but I wouldnt call them slow. Its faster then the mustang, 370z, infinits, honda everything, challenger, charger. Id say its doing pretty good compared to the competition.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Tate
Hey, Easy now

I resemble that comment!

Look, there are a few bone stock that have run @ my track in Baton Rouge, LA

Some are in the 109-111 bone stock. Problem is, the cars are too new for anyone to even say what the average will be in 6 months. The average might not be 109-111 yet, but after a few more months I think the average will go up a few mph. The "average" will be changing for some time to come. From what I've seen, the 98-02 average is in the low 13's @ 107-109

I love the 98-02 ls1/F-body platform, and they have massive potential. I think the new Camaro's potential will be greater. They will be able to post equal times with less mods. The one modded one I ran was full exhaust and tune on stock tires through an auto and was in the 12.3x -12.4x range @ 113-115 mph.

I don't know a shitload about lsx's and am no expert, but I thought he was haulin ***.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Well I don't care what you guys read or heard or saw or did. Last night I saw 5 ss's, 3 stick and 2 auto and one wee little 6 banger at my local track.

2 of the 3 stick were stock (except one was lowered) all in the 12.80-13.20 range but suprisingly all were 111-112 mph.

1 auto was full exhaust and tune. 112 mph 3 out of 4 runs. Stayed in the 12.70 range.

the 6 banger was running 14.20's spinning @ 99 mph.

There was this one guy in a really clean maroon one. He said it was a ls7 swap with all of the goodies. His best run was 11.20 @ 118.

(Never opened the hood) I think it was on some squeeze.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2v-in-12's
Well I don't care what you guys read or heard or saw or did. Last night I saw 5 ss's, 3 stick and 2 auto and one wee little 6 banger at my local track.

2 of the 3 stick were stock (except one was lowered) all in the 12.80-13.20 range but suprisingly all were 111-112 mph.

1 auto was full exhaust and tune. 112 mph 3 out of 4 runs. Stayed in the 12.70 range.

the 6 banger was running 14.20's spinning @ 99 mph.

There was this one guy in a really clean maroon one. He said it was a ls7 swap with all of the goodies. His best run was 11.20 @ 118.

(Never opened the hood) I think it was on some squeeze.
IF that is true and they were 100% stock than you watch 2 record setting cars. Pretty impressive.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Teching In

IF that is true and they were 100% stock than you watch 2 record setting cars. Pretty impressive.
Record setting maybe, don't know. It was in the 40's and the track was hooking up nicely. I just think the conditions were perfect. I know that the one that ran 13.10@112 was bone stock, he is a friend of mine. He is easily in the 12's though, no traction in 1st and really barking 2nd and 3rd.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Launching!

In real life they are the faster car. Stock for stock or mod to mod I'm thinking they are gonna take a 4th Gen. Good run though OP.
Tate
You mean on Forza 3? lol.