Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

little fun with a C5 vert and BMW 645

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default little fun with a C5 vert and BMW 645

Heading home on the Hwy nice and slow and see a CLEAN 645ci BMW with a black C5 convertible vette glued to his butt cruising up in the fast lane. Both younger guys, 645 has a passenger... I drop behind the C5 and follow. Sure enough, as we approach the are where it drops to one lane the vette hammers it and sling shots around the beemer and the car ahead of him. I hold off since I dont know if the 645 knows I'm now "in". Sure enough the Beemer slides over the split second the vette passes him, in pursuit. Now I can go to WOT and to my surprise I close the gap quickly (3-4 seconds).

Once around the blocker car they both keep WOT to at least 130mph with the beemers slow pull finally putting him at the vettes bumper and me on the Beemers bumper going from full to 3/4 throttle pacing him. Wish I coulda passed but the westbound lanes were staggered just right (of course...).

We caught up to traffic and cruised for a awhile until the sole car infront of us hit a offramp: From 50mph the vette and beemer go WOT again: this time I let them get 100' ahead before going WOT. I caught them at around 120mph.

Followed them for another half dozen miles but they heading up into the mountains so I turned around.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Conclusion: After researching the 645ci, I couldn't believe it was able to reel in that vette like that: those things stock are 335hp, 4150lbs and high 13's. Don't know how much to put on the vette or its driver though: I was not that much slower than the Beemer, too, and I should have not just pulled him but slaughtered him if he was stock... The beemer was very immaculate and ?looked lowered with different rims compared to what google images shows as stock. hmm. Vette was a DD from the looks of it- unsure of what trans or what exact year but it was quiet and had the stock quad exh tips. Oh well, thats typical street racing: never know what you're gonna come across or what condition its in.

Washington Members: Any of you guys happen to know them? 645 driver was younger Asian guy; vette driver was 20's white guy with dark brown hair- almost a 80's mullet style. ??
Old 11-02-2009, 10:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

vette must have been a stock automatic...surprised the bimmer stayed close unless it was a new one?
Old 11-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedshifterNC
vette must have been a stock automatic...surprised the bimmer stayed close unless it was a new one?
My same thoughts: A 6spd C5 shoulda walked the beemer and been more of a challenge for me- even as a convertible. The BMW was a 2003-2004, the only years they made a 645ci. In 2005 it became a 650i with 20-30 more hp and a bigger engine (645ci= 4.4L, 650i= 4.8L)