Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

'87 Formula vs 3000GT (a couple weeks ago)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '87 Formula vs 3000GT (a couple weeks ago)

WARNING:

Long kill story.

Cliff notes: ricer in a 3kgt (unknown vr4 or not) tried running a 3rd gen, got beat.

Okay, so I was driving the (new) gf (a sophomore - I should be a Junior but I transferred into WVU as a freshman) back from a party, ~ 1AM (sorry, no tunes or clock in the car, just the beautiful sound of 388 cubic inches, with a radical h/c and a 3" exhaust) Friday night when we stopped at a light on Rt. 119 in Morgantown, WV (right by the coloseum) and I saw a 3000GT pull up next to me. Didn't really think much of it...

Then, the driver looked over and started talking to my gf (our windows were rolled down, as were his) and talking junk about my car. Basically, the guy seemed (at least to me) like a douche ... not only trying to take my gf, but putting down a car I've now put 2 whole years into building up, tuning, etc.

Now, onto some details of his (and my) cars. I can't tell you much about his car, except for what I could see, which was a triple-gauge pod (not sure what gauges, he was in the right lane, I was in the left), some washer lights, eyelids on the headlights (saw that later...), VTEC seatcovers, a couple ricer stickers, and I noticed a big muffler (not sure about the rest of his exhaust) and altezza tails. I'm also pretty sure he had some subs, as I could hear them over both car's engine noise. My car is a '87 formula ws6, originally had a 305 (5.0) carb'd, now a 350 with a 60-thal bore and a stroke (=388cid); heads/cam, longtubes, 3" single exhaust (with a turn-down partially hidden behind the rear bumper), torker2 intake, 750 holley, etc. etc. Oh yeah, and I have stickers that read "Formula V6" on both doors now .

He then told my gf (Angie) "Why don't you get in a real car?" At this point, she said "well, I am ... unlike you " (nice to know the girl has good tastes) and then the light turned green, and both of us nailed it at about the same time (again, hard to tell ... my engine is "kinda" loud). He did manage a full length or so off the line, as I spun pretty bad (tach just shot up to 7200, tires smoked, etc.). I finally got traction although he already had a couple lengths on my by this point. I quickly stopped his pull around 30mph (sorry ... no speedo, so gotta make due with estimates) as I reached the top of 1st (700r4 trans).

At this point, the car SLAMMED into 2nd (idk why exactly it shifts that hard ... gotta take it in to someone who ACTUALLY knows about these trannies at some point - also gotta get the speedo fixed) as the car almost got sideways, but I recovered quickly (if it did start to spin, I'd lift, no point injuring the gf, or any innocents, over a stupid run like this). For a split-second I lost traction, but he had to shift 1-2, and I guess he missed the shift (heared the engine bounce off the limiter, noticed his front end drop, and it took a few seconds for him to get on it again); all the time I needed.

Flew past him, as the 388 screamed from 4k-7500 rpms, and the front end lifted on the formy (not sure if the front wheels were touching or not, just kept the steering wheel straight and held on) and the 3000gt just faded into the rearview (2-3 lengths back - I was still maybe at 80% throttle to avoid spinning the tires). Right then, Angie screamed something out the window (hard to hear, again, over the exhaust). As I lifted (~70-80) the trans hit third, and I just pedaled it from there to the highway, even slowed down a couple times to see if he wanted more (was probably going ~ 30-35) but he refused to pull up alongside, or even get close to the formula. Either that, or his car was just scared of a "little" firebird?

I then got on I-79 N to take Angie back home, he stayed on 119, and I haven't seen that mitsu again. Maybe he sold it ... did notice a LT1 'vert sell the next day, the guy at the dealer said the buyer had a 3k mitsu.

Oh yeah, Angie's dad owns (2) camaro's, a '69 camaro ss (red/white stripes), and a '83 iroc (red ... similar color to my formy) with a 383 and bottle (which would give me a good run on the 150 shot I think). She owns a '78 trans am 400/4spd t-tops that she's working on (with her dad) - was originally a Y88, still trying to decide between straight gold paint or gold and blue (for WVU).

Some pics of the '87:

I just wish I had my Mickeys, and a chance to do a burnout, on that run, as opposed to the Hankooks and no traction.

Last edited by XtremeModifier; 10-31-2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: cliff notes and warning about long kill
Old 10-31-2009, 08:30 PM

Good kill, but I gotta ask...

Originally Posted by XtremeModifier
Flew past him, as the 388 screamed from 4k-7500 rpms, and the front end lifted on the formy (not sure if the front wheels were touching or not, just kept the steering wheel straight and held on)
...um..what?

Also, what did it run at the track?
Old 11-01-2009, 02:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um..what? is right: Gotta question some of your story my friend: first thing first: a WS6 in 1987? You trying to say 1LE or Competitors Cup car? Also: a 383 has a damn hard time spinning much past 6k without grenading: to get 7,500rpm you would have to have a pro built bottom end: Lunati or equivelant steel crank, splayed main caps, top of the line H beam rods, etc... and of course a radical most likely solid roller cam with stout heads. Pushing that through a torquer manifold -- well, if its a torquer 2 you arent: they flow like **** up top. Even a first gen higher flow torquer manifold is really hard to buy: they just didnt flow that well over 6k. Especially on a 383.

Not saying you're lying about the engine: I've seen them hit 7,000rpms before on a 383: and seen half a dozen grenade spectacularly when they attempted to go past 6,000rpms. Checked your stats and you say you are running 11's @120mph with a 3750lb setup. For that number I'm guessing 450rwhp? 530+ crank hp?

Last edited by Sticks n Stones; 11-01-2009 at 02:20 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:52 AM

^I believe the WS6 suspension was standard equipment on all 3rd gen formulas.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

87 formula that originally came with a carb 305? I thought all formulas came with TPI.

are you sure thats a formula? the spoiler is a firebird spoiler, and it doesnt have a formula hood.

Last edited by firechicken76; 11-01-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Um..what? is right: Gotta question some of your story my friend: first thing first: a WS6 in 1987? You trying to say 1LE or Competitors Cup car? Also: a 383 has a damn hard time spinning much past 6k without grenading: to get 7,500rpm you would have to have a pro built bottom end: Lunati or equivelant steel crank, splayed main caps, top of the line H beam rods, etc... and of course a radical most likely solid roller cam with stout heads. Pushing that through a torquer manifold -- well, if its a torquer 2 you arent: they flow like **** up top. Even a first gen higher flow torquer manifold is really hard to buy: they just didnt flow that well over 6k. Especially on a 383.

Not saying you're lying about the engine: I've seen them hit 7,000rpms before on a 383: and seen half a dozen grenade spectacularly when they attempted to go past 6,000rpms. Checked your stats and you say you are running 11's @120mph with a 3750lb setup. For that number I'm guessing 450rwhp? 530+ crank hp?
ive seen street 383's turn 8k...
Old 11-02-2009, 10:10 PM
11 Second Club

good story but I've never seen an 83 Iroc..I'm guessing they made a clone of an 85 to 90
Old 11-02-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice kill.

Where you from in NJ?? I see you were running at Island in one of your pics.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by firechicken76
87 formula that originally came with a carb 305? I thought all formulas came with TPI.

are you sure thats a formula? the spoiler is a firebird spoiler, and it doesnt have a formula hood.
You could get a Formula with a TBI setup or a TPI setup. The TBI's were rated 170 hp.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
You could get a Formula with a TBI setup or a TPI setup. The TBI's were rated 170 hp.
Ok, i just did some research, the motor options for that year on the formula were the lg4 305, TPI 305, and TPI350.

Carb 305 rated @155hp
TPI 305 rated @165hp
TPI 350 rated @210hp

but no TBI that year.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:13 AM

The TBI must have first been available in 1988 in that case.