Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Top speed buried

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 08:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
... let me guess, the 150mph didn't bother you, but the passing on a double when I could see for over 1/2 a mile ahead scared you?

lol
Exactly.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
^ You're exactly why I hate most crotch rocket owners. Doing stupid **** thinking you own the road. The only other time I've seen driving like that is from stupid ricers. Hopefully if you kill yourself out there you will be the only one to die. Good luck. And we all wonder why cops crack down on street racing. You sir, are a dumbass.
Sounds like someone didn't get there Metamusil last night. Better eat that bran muffin or else you'll really get grumpy and whiny.

You'd have a friggin heart attack in Europe: they ALL drive like they own the road over there: probably because they do! Or are you under the impression the Government owns everything and we are supposed to be there subservient slaves???
Old 11-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Sounds like someone didn't get there Metamusil last night. Better eat that bran muffin or else you'll really get grumpy and whiny.

You'd have a friggin heart attack in Europe: they ALL drive like they own the road over there: probably because they do! Or are you under the impression the Government owns everything and we are supposed to be there subservient slaves???
Why should I give a **** about the way people drive in Europe?
Old 11-18-2009, 11:23 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Why should I give a **** about the way people drive in Europe?
Old 11-18-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Home town Clive,IA current town FORT BENNING GEORGIA

Originally Posted by Kmaroman
My boredom got me thinking, how many of you guys on ls1tech have went past the speedo, what kind of speed were you doing and what was the reason?

I was running south I-65 racing a guy who talked alot of trash about my car. I had three friends accompanying me that night, one rode with the other guy.

He has 96-97 6 speed trans am, anyways we got down to about 40mph, take off straight out of the gate i left him there was no chance for a comeback at all ROFL( if you'd of known this guy and his lil possy always talking crap and i didn't even know them you would to) it was pretty sweet as my friend in the seat next to me described it as you were beating him and going for a new top speed record. My final speed i would guess somewhere between 160-170mph, it was pretty awesome the speedometer stopped an the tac just kep climbing up, stuff that was way off in the distance in touching range in seconds.

I wish i could of been in one of the cars i passed( my car has straight exhaust) it was dark to so the look on peoples faces were probably priceless.
its true i have myself driven 2 lt1s and i have hold them both well over 145(STOCK). im pretty sure with the modds he has he can do a well of 160.

AND some of you guys need to grow up, calling names and **** on this website. big deal he was speeding as long as he was being safe about it, i dont see a problem.

why the hell would you buy a car that speedo reads 155 and not expect to take it there a few times.. if it pisses you off so much DEAL WITH IT. i cant even imagine at how fast i've had my car going..

more power to you man and nice kill why you were at it.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

i'll admit that i have been a MULTIPLE offender of high speed runs. it almost always happens on little known roads where its just me and the cows. the point is as long as your keeping your head on a swivel and know when to shut it down because something doesnt feel right, and your doing it on a low population road why not go out and clean the dust out of her? Oh and is it really that hard to believe that a low modded LT1 can bury the speedo?
Old 11-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by daves94formula
Oh and is it really that hard to believe that a low modded LT1 can bury the speedo?
My first car was a 1992 RS Camaro 5 speed 3.1L. Best it could do was 102mph. I once had it up to 110mph I believe, but that was going down a hill. No lie..
Old 11-18-2009, 02:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by daves94formula
Oh and is it really that hard to believe that a low modded LT1 can bury the speedo?
No..considering I had my stock 1995 LT1 Auto 3.23 geared just past the 150 mark. Wasn't pulling anymore though...I think I hit it's true top speed (which was just shy of 155mph IF the speedo wasn't off by a mile at that point.)... The limiter using LT1Edit said 255 so I am sure I wasn't limited by that.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:00 PM
***Repost Police***

Done an indicated 142mph in my car and still pulling, but ran out of room. Did 140mph indicated in the old Mustang, and even did an indicated 135mph in my old stock Integra GS-R (top speed is supposed to be ~142mph).
Old 11-18-2009, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

my indication stops after 115 cursed with the 1994 speedo. so i had to find a calculator to see what i was actually running. pulled low 180's because it wont shift into overdrive. so i max out 3rd with the 2.73's
Old 11-18-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Home town Clive,IA current town FORT BENNING GEORGIA

dave you shouldn't say you where traveling at 180 here, people my **** a brick.....
Old 11-18-2009, 05:23 PM
Launching!

ive been 190+ in a 402 procharged sprayed C5.. in the passenger seat.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

personally done a gps tracked 163 (for about 10 seconds) in my full bolt on 02 6spd trans am at 230 am.......... when i had it
Old 11-20-2009, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive had my Z28 Terd Gen to about 140/145, My Berlinetta Terd gen had the digital speedo that stopped at 85 and would just blink, but based on how long it took to slow back down to 85, My guesses were about 120 "and that was all that piece of crap had in her" My 75 Nova SS clone, to about 155, "very very scary, car felt as if it were falling apart". 2002 3.8 litre 121 "wouldn't give me any more" 2002 Z28 I had up to 125....I wont dare drive it faster with my family in the car, and especially without a suspension mod...
Old 11-20-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
No..considering I had my stock 1995 LT1 Auto 3.23 geared just past the 150 mark. Wasn't pulling anymore though...I think I hit it's true top speed (which was just shy of 155mph IF the speedo wasn't off by a mile at that point.)... The limiter using LT1Edit said 255 so I am sure I wasn't limited by that.
I couldn't agree more, my 97 formula 2.73 rear certainly burried the speedo on that. After the programmer, intake, exhaust, lowering kit, it became cake.

But to the rest of the folks judging those how they drive are no different. So cut it out. If you speed, doesn't matter what lines you are crossing, we are all guilty of breaking the law period. I can't stand those who go over the damn merging lanes from ramps. But reguardless, we are all breaking the laws so who are you to judge anyone else here. We all do stupid crap, hell, we street race. Guilty right there!
Old 11-20-2009, 11:51 AM
10 Second Club

I went 207 in my old TT 408 GTO. Was a brand new stretch of hwy that was not open to the public yet and had a friend who is an officer out there with me. I could not imagine doin this on a road with cars even possibly driving on the same stretch. There was no way to stop or slow down at those speeds. If an animal had crossed out in front of me I would have been dead.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
I couldn't agree more, my 97 formula 2.73 rear certainly burried the speedo on that. After the programmer, intake, exhaust, lowering kit, it became cake.

But to the rest of the folks judging those how they drive are no different. So cut it out. If you speed, doesn't matter what lines you are crossing, we are all guilty of breaking the law period. I can't stand those who go over the damn merging lanes from ramps. But reguardless, we are all breaking the laws so who are you to judge anyone else here. We all do stupid crap, hell, we street race. Guilty right there!
Well...to do a stupid speed with no one on the road is stupid but at least if something goes wrong you kill yourself. If you screw up passing on double yellows... (like a guy I know) you get to sit on the side of the road while someone burns to death in their car from the head on collision you caused. Sorry that one just sits in a bad place with me.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Launching!

i've buried the speedo in my C5. up to 190 its not too bad, but above 190, too much are builds up under the front and its a ******* scary ride!
Old 11-23-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Regular

In response to the original post....when my '98 z28 was 100% stock a few years ago, I decided I wanted to top it out. Now please no pissy responses, as I know this kinda stuff is unsafe, illegal, w/e. Anyways, I was on my way home from Dayton, OH (I live near Akron) on I-** with a friend of mine. On the way down there we had gone down a stretch of freeway that had a veerrryyy long straight and that's where I was gonna do it. And on the way back, almost to where i was gonna find out my top end, I happened to involve myself in a little race lol. It was a big black fellow in a new Charger...we did two pulls from about sixty, I left him fast both times. On the third, we were nearing the long stretch, so after I left him hanging and kept right on going. Once I hit fifth it didn't pull quite as fast but it kept climbing.....climbing....finally the speedo pegged at the little pin (which is quite past the last mark at 155)....rpm's cliimbed a little more but not much. I had both hands on the wheel (mind you this stretch was a slight decline which im sure helped). So we were coming up on a very short concrete bridge at the bottom of the decline, and I began letting off when we hit that. Just after the bridge the road curved slightly to the left then began uphill. Well the bridge was rough but no biggie, what was immediately AFTER the bridge was the scariest thing I've ever experienced. A State Trooper was sitting in the median. I had to pass him still doing 140+. However, he was facing the South lanes, we were traveling north. I don't know why but I kept slowing, dropping to maybe 110 or so. He was getting smaller and smaller, and didn't do anything. But maybe 6 or 8 seconds after passing him, lights came on and he BACKED onto our side of the freeway! Long story short, I had fortunately just filled up about 20 minutes prior, there were very few cars on the road (sunday) and there was NO WAY IN HELL i was gonna lose my license AND my car. Downshifted back to fourth.....fifth....off at the next exit (which was FAR, had to be 5-6 miles away....but went by in no time going as fast as I was) and I traveled back roads all the way home. A few quick turns and miles after I had gotten off, we stopped quickly to put the T-Tops back on (yes, they had been off lol) and thats when my hands started trembling. The whole event had been smooth and I kept my composure until then...they shook nearly the entire way home. One hell of a day and one hell of a story....and I'm SO glad a buddy was there (I frequently have to call him up to verify the story because nobody ever believes me). Fiction or non-fiction, you make the call
Old 11-23-2009, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats pretty good man, I've done all my flat out runs on 65 headed south. I'd probably **** bricks if i saw a state boy