Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Top speed buried

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Top speed buried

My boredom got me thinking, how many of you guys on ls1tech have went past the speedo, what kind of speed were you doing and what was the reason?

I was running south I-65 racing a guy who talked alot of trash about my car. I had three friends accompanying me that night, one rode with the other guy.

He has 96-97 6 speed trans am, anyways we got down to about 40mph, take off straight out of the gate i left him there was no chance for a comeback at all ROFL( if you'd of known this guy and his lil possy always talking crap and i didn't even know them you would to) it was pretty sweet as my friend in the seat next to me described it as you were beating him and going for a new top speed record. My final speed i would guess somewhere between 160-170mph, it was pretty awesome the speedometer stopped an the tac just kep climbing up, stuff that was way off in the distance in touching range in seconds.

I wish i could of been in one of the cars i passed( my car has straight exhaust) it was dark to so the look on peoples faces were probably priceless.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:41 PM
11 Second Club

good way to get killed..but I guess you got the kill this time
Old 11-14-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know "MyWS6" has buried the tach quite a few times in his videos racing on the freeway against high powered supras and vettes.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kmaroman
I wish i could of been in one of the cars i passed( my car has straight exhaust) it was dark to so the look on peoples faces were probably priceless.
If I were driving down the highway, in the dark, at 60 mph and someone passed me going 160mph (or 100 mph faster then me) my first thought would be "what a dumb mother ******" my second thought would be "****** could give less a **** about my safety" and my third thought would be "hope he crashes and burns 1/2 mile ahead of me, that would be cool."

Not sure what my face would look like though, it would be too dark to see.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

gotta agree with SSpeedracer in general, but without a video to show how it went down and not being there I can't really have an opinion if it was a safe pass or not.

On the speedo burying thing: With the mods listed in your sig I'd have to say its not possible for your car to actually do 170mph: Could maybe see it eeking out a 160mph though in the right conditions.

I've buried speedo's on: '87 & '88 IROC's, '78 Z28 (wayyyy buried a 145mph calibrated speedo), and every bike I've had except my ZX-14 which is limited to 188mph- been there twice. Had my GTO to its 155mph limiter a week after I bought it: Only vehicle I've ever had that I bothered to do a top speed run in when stock. limiter is now gone but dont forsee a top speed run anytime soon with winter here.

It's all about time and place. Safety first, keeping your license second. ie, do it on a multilane highway at a time when its dead empty like just after sunrise on a sunday morning. Then pre run it looking for speed traps. I used to not pre-run, would just sit on the side of the road until it had been at least a few minutes since the last car came by then I would run- until the time I passed a speed trap a split second before I hit the 188mph speed limiter. Things off in the distance are really hard to see at those speeds and I was passing his cop car about the same time I decided what to do: go WOT again. Cop never persued, just kept standing there radaring me: I was both stupid and lucky. I would have set the state record for speeding by 30mph a mere week after they busted a sport biker doing 150mph and splashed his name and family all over the news, and he lost his job at the same place I work. Eliminate all variables in your control if you are willing to risk so much!!

Last edited by Sticks n Stones; 11-14-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:36 PM
11 Second Club

Did you race Johnny?
Old 11-15-2009, 02:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
gotta agree with SSpeedracer in general, but without a video to show how it went down and not being there I can't really have an opinion if it was a safe pass or not.

On the speedo burying thing: With the mods listed in your sig I'd have to say its not possible for your car to actually do 170mph: Could maybe see it eeking out a 160mph though in the right conditions.

I've buried speedo's on: '87 & '88 IROC's, '78 Z28 (wayyyy buried a 145mph calibrated speedo), and every bike I've had except my ZX-14 which is limited to 188mph- been there twice. Had my GTO to its 155mph limiter a week after I bought it: Only vehicle I've ever had that I bothered to do a top speed run in when stock. limiter is now gone but dont forsee a top speed run anytime soon with winter here.

It's all about time and place. Safety first, keeping your license second. ie, do it on a multilane highway at a time when its dead empty like just after sunrise on a sunday morning. Then pre run it looking for speed traps. I used to not pre-run, would just sit on the side of the road until it had been at least a few minutes since the last car came by then I would run- until the time I passed a speed trap a split second before I hit the 188mph speed limiter. Things off in the distance are really hard to see at those speeds and I was passing his cop car about the same time I decided what to do: go WOT again. Cop never persued, just kept standing there radaring me: I was both stupid and lucky. I would have set the state record for speeding by 30mph a mere week after they busted a sport biker doing 150mph and splashed his name and family all over the news, and he lost his job at the same place I work. Eliminate all variables in your control if you are willing to risk so much!!
...its never a safe pass on a public road. A slight bump in the road at 150+ will send the car out of control, not to mention debris that could end up in front of you. I like how you agree with SSpeedracer but then go on to list bikes and vehicles you done this in. Passing another person that is unaware of what you are doing at that speed is just Russian roulette.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I buried the speedo on my white trans am multiples times when it was stock/bolt ons.. Few times for the hell of it and twice running. Never while racing, no reason to go that fast for that reason.
Can't count how many times on my F4i and my 954RR I had it up to speeds I shouldn't have. Really brings you back to earth when a "O ****" happens doing 165 mph on two wheels and about 3 feet off the ground with nothing surrounding you.

Done some dumb ****... We all have.. And I'm sure I will keep doing it..

O, btw... You dumb stupid *** teenager, you are the reason for all deaths in the US.. Never do anything like that again, nobody else on this site does it, or that has posted in this thread.

Just my .02!

Old 11-15-2009, 03:28 AM
Teching In

i would clap and laugh if you passed me going 100 over what i was doing for many reasons
Old 11-15-2009, 03:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SD_Silverbeast
i would clap and laugh if you passed me going 100 over what i was doing for many reasons
Sniff sniff...Hello officer.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have buried mine over here in Germany a few times...but it's legal here lol. Either way it's a pretty good rush.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sticks n Stones is right.

You can do a top speed run if you plan it, but understand that it is EXTREMELY dangerous. One small pebble or bump can take you out.

Do not take a passenger or pass another car.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Launching!

ive buried the speedo on my bike one time, but its so far off i was probably only doing about 140. all of my vehicles have 85 mph speedos, so ive buried them. did about 110 in my 84 (slipped a belt in a bias ply tire, never goes over 70 now), did about 135 in my 86 fox vert, did about 120 in my lowered 93 s-10 v6 5 speed.

all of these runs were done on dead 4 lane highways early in the morning.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Sticks n Stones is right.

You can do a top speed run if you plan it, but understand that it is EXTREMELY dangerous. One small pebble or bump can take you out.

Do not take a passenger or pass another car.

Just curious, but how would one "plan" a top speed run on a public highway
where anyone can access it at any time?
Old 11-15-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by unit213
I do them on interstates, late at night hardly any traffic. Yeah it was johnny
Old 11-15-2009, 12:06 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Bunch of speeders
Old 11-15-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
See post #5.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

of course even I don't follow my own rules sometimes... though in all fairness I wasnt planning on it and wasnt even full throttle or revving it all the way up etc. it was just a camcorder test for my microphone setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5WNPp69u0k
Old 11-15-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would be curious as to how fast exactly i was going when i did my top speed run, i crossed the line to mexico and buried it at about 5am, when it was dead. was quite a rush but at 155+ when u hit a little bump it scares the hell out of you.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kmaroman
I do them on interstates, late at night hardly any traffic. Yeah it was johnny
Interested in a dig race?