Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Nitrous LS1's are a force to be reckoned with vs HC KB Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 09:42 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Very old vid, someone must hate the Termi's to dig that up and make a thread.

FWIW, I can relate to this exact vid.

My 99 SS (sold it to my brother in law) had the exact same TSP cam (233/239/600/603/112) as well as Patriot heads, Lt's, exhaust and a 100 shot. Now a 100 shot will not usually make 105rwhp (usually a 125 will) and I ran it a few times vs my 03 2.8KB Cobra (21lbs) full bolt ons and a SRA.

With the 2-3 clean races we had the outcome was the same with a slight nod going to my Cobra above 3rd gear (100ish).

The Cobra went 10.30's @ 133 and I would guess my SS was right on it's heels.

Great vid none the less.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by w3s1c0a5t
How do you guys get that **** too hook? Ive seen some of those irs guys Running fast. Is it a pure driver deal or is their some suspension mods that really help?
Pretty much upgrading every thing, especially the bushings and some of the other weak points. The 03-04 IRS is head and shoulders above past Cobras', but still sloppy junk in my opinion.

And yeah, a LSAnything on dope is going to be quick. No doubt about it, my old SS on the 150 shot, small cam (smaller than the one in this video), and untouched heads would stomp a mud whole in my Cobra.

I really wish I would have had the chance to run my friends Whippled Cobra with my SS on the spray. I guarantee it would have been a damn good race.

And I'm also willing to bet that the money spent on mods (not including the cost of the cars) for the T/A and Cobra are a lot closer than some of you think. Yeah, the blower costs more than the cam and nitrous, but not much more when you start adding up the small things like springs, pushrods, etc. And who knows how much either car has spent on suspension mods. Those can add up real quick. And that T/A had to have some nice upgrades to put that power to the ground.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rk_2000_Z/28
Pretty much upgrading every thing, especially the bushings and some of the other weak points. The 03-04 IRS is head and shoulders above past Cobras', but still sloppy junk in my opinion.

And yeah, a LSAnything on dope is going to be quick. No doubt about it, my old SS on the 150 shot, small cam (smaller than the one in this video), and untouched heads would stomp a mud whole in my Cobra.

I really wish I would have had the chance to run my friends Whippled Cobra with my SS on the spray. I guarantee it would have been a damn good race.

And I'm also willing to bet that the money spent on mods (not including the cost of the cars) for the T/A and Cobra are a lot closer than some of you think. Yeah, the blower costs more than the cam and nitrous, but not much more when you start adding up the small things like springs, pushrods, etc. And who knows how much either car has spent on suspension mods. Those can add up real quick. And that T/A had to have some nice upgrades to put that power to the ground.
Man your Cobra is effin sick looking....

I guess it depends on how you spend your money, you can buy a cam and supporting mods for 800 and make awesome power, that on top of bolt ons is probably still under 2400$. I think once you start to reinforce the Fbody (rear end, suspension, clutch, trans) it starts to get real pricey. Or you can just blow 5-6k on a new whipple or KB and make wicked power out of Cobra. At the end I think people should just buy what ever car looks better to them, because both can be very fast cars.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by w3s1c0a5t
How do you guys get that **** too hook? Ive seen some of those irs guys Running fast. Is it a pure driver deal or is their some suspension mods that really help?
I dont have that much power yet....but I am just going to take my sway bar off and get 335 Hoosiers and see what happens.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by USArmyZ28
Man your Cobra is effin sick looking....

I guess it depends on how you spend your money, you can buy a cam and supporting mods for 800 and make awesome power, that on top of bolt ons is probably still under 2400$. I think once you start to reinforce the Fbody (rear end, suspension, clutch, trans) it starts to get real pricey. Or you can just blow 5-6k on a new whipple or KB and make wicked power out of Cobra. At the end I think people should just buy what ever car looks better to them, because both can be very fast cars.
I agree. And same goes for the cobra. Trans input shaft Bushings etc etc.

Drive what you like
Old 11-28-2009, 10:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Poor? No. Im 22 and Im on my 3rd Fbody and I probably make more then you especially with this economy. Id just rather get my money worth especially in an investment like a modified performance vehicle.

LOL

STFU kid
Old 11-30-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Or you can just blow 5-6k on a new whipple or KB and make wicked power out of Cobra..
They're not that much for the Cobra's because the intercooler, pump, resevoir, etc. is already there. You can get a used one for around 2k or new for a little over 3k.
Originally Posted by corysmach1
I dont have that much power yet....but I am just going to take my sway bar off and get 335 Hoosiers and see what happens.
I bet it works. From what I hear those Hoosiers are the ticket.

Quick Reply: Nitrous LS1's are a force to be reckoned with vs HC KB Cobra