Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

mustang kill with my ls4

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009 | 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

http://WWW.trickflow.com/egnsearch.a...7&autoview=sku

They flow 240 CFM which is higher then a stock set of 03/04 cobra heads which flow 233cfm.
Old 12-09-2009 | 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

Linkage to a cool image.

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/2...owheadsoy8.jpg
Old 12-09-2009 | 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

Hate to hijack a thread, but since y'all are discussing it anyway, here goes. My dad just bought a 97 GT for a little d.d. Should he have opted for a 99+? IDK jack about a mustang, other than the 99s make more power. Is it just the heads that are different? soembody give me some info on this if you can. . . Thanks.
Old 12-09-2009 | 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

PI heads and a few other things Barney. If he is going to upgrade them, these heads above would be a better upgrade than going to the PI ones.
Old 12-09-2009 | 01:59 PM
Teching In

Okay enough with the 2-valve crap please. I think this Kevin guy is probably the only one who really cares. You'll never sell any of us in here on that two valve stuff. My advice to anyone looking to purchase a modular Mustang in the near future: go 4-valve or nothing at all!
Old 12-09-2009 | 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ke^in
Indeed.

The last 2v was made in 2004 I believe. Regardless, not a decade too late for me. Right on time for me

I have 3rd party chrome rims, and I am about to lower it 1.5 or so Inches. Other than that, That's all the visual mods I will probably do. Add the twisted head wedges, there are going to be a lot of pissy stock f-body (there are a lot around) owners accusing me of having boost this summer. I've seen 2vs with these heads. It looks pretty much stock. Ultimate sleeper NewEdge. The year after I might supercharge it. I bought the GT knowing these heads were coming out.

I take it you have a GTO now. You keeping it? (I would)
Hell yeah: probably forever. Immediate goals are mid 11's with a cam, mildly ported LS3 heads/intake, and a 3000 stall. After that gets old (1 year) I'll either go serious or get a LS1 Fbody and make it go nines with FI.
Go look at the numbers. People with these heads are already making those numbers.

This is a quote from Sticks n Stones after reading the specs.
Should NEVER quote me as a reliable source! lol

As far as those heads compared to stock LS1 heads I don't know. But I do know about LS2 heads, which stock flow around 275cfm and are a direct fit onto a LS1, not to mention a cheap (under $500 which includes the better GTO/LS6 intake manifold). But if the Fbody stays with stock heads/cam, the 'stang with those heads and cams should be a good race for it. Guess if you already have a 2 valve stang it's cheaper than selling it and buying a camaro?
Old 12-09-2009 | 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was looking up prices for the cars. The Pontiac transam/firebird/z28 were all almost 5k more compared to the same year Mustang. That really only makes sense since F-bodies of the like sold for more new than Mustangs of the same year.
Are you saying that the used prices of Fbodies are 5k more than same year Mustangs? That might be true if the Fbody has 20k miles, and the Mustang has 80k miles.

Fbodies are cheap these days. Decent ones can be had for $6k. I don't know how much Mustangs go for these days, but I know a Mustang with similar miles, and in similar condition to a 6k Fbody is not going to cost 1k.

The average 4th gen you see rolling around is going to be worth 6-8k. There are some low mileage ones that are worth more, but these cars are getting old, and most of them have some miles on them.

I might believe you if we were talking about very low mileage Mustangs and Fbodies.
Old 12-09-2009 | 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Again, until now. Those twisted wedge heads are flowing more than 4v heads.
I agree. Up until now. They are still new though. IMO, more RL experience needs to be had with them. I do agree that they will Compete with the LS's, but $$$ will then come into the equation.
Originally Posted by Barney Z
Hate to hijack a thread, but since y'all are discussing it anyway, here goes. My dad just bought a 97 GT for a little d.d. Should he have opted for a 99+? IDK jack about a mustang, other than the 99s make more power. Is it just the heads that are different? soembody give me some info on this if you can. . . Thanks.
IF he can't afford the TF heads with COmp cams, I'd go with a PI conversion and port the heads/upper intake before installing them. you can usually pick up the PI HCI's for a QTR of the price. The CR rating on the motor will increase (~10.5 IIRC) and 91+ (with a retune of course) will need to be used.
Old 12-09-2009 | 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RON 95ZR1
Okay enough with the 2-valve crap please. I think this Kevin guy is probably the only one who really cares.
There are other Mustang people on here. One actually msg'd me about it. But ok.
You'll never sell any of us in here on that two valve stuff.
Not trying to.
My advice to anyone looking to purchase a modular Mustang in the near future: go 4-valve or nothing at all!
4v Mustangs are awesome. you wont have me argue there. But these new heads flow just as well.
Originally Posted by Juicy J
Are you saying that the used prices of Fbodies are 5k more than same year Mustangs? That might be true if the Fbody has 20k miles, and the Mustang has 80k miles.
Not at all. Again, Fbodies cost more new. Why wouldn't they cost more used? Unless you are saying they depreciate more than Mustangs. Which we know is not true.
Fbodies are cheap these days. Decent ones can be had for $6k.
I was specifically looking for a 2000-2002.
I don't know how much Mustangs go for these days, but I know a Mustang with similar miles, and in similar condition to a 6k Fbody is not going to cost 1k.
No, but a 2002 GT cost 10k, and most Z28s I saw with miles comparable cost $15k. At least around here. AGAIN, I bought my car with 8k miles on it.
I might believe you if we were talking about very low mileage Mustangs and Fbodies.
Bingo.
Originally Posted by ponygt65
I agree. Up until now.
They flow 240 CFM which is higher then a stock set of 03/04 cobra heads which flow 233cfm.
They are still new though. IMO, more RL experience needs to be had with them. I do agree that they will Compete with the LS's, but $$$ will then come into the equation.
They are the same price as most any high quality heads. Cheaper than 4v heads. And lighter too.

With the modular motors, the heads were always the crappy part about the engine. Before Ford slightly improved them in 99, they sucked even worse.

These heads finally do the car justice. But like someone said, a little bit late in the game. Having said that, my 2002 GT is practically brand new. And I paid 15k less than a new one cost.

I am not going to do TOO much to it. I eventually want a new 5.0 when they come out. Thats some serious HP, and finally a decent contender for the new Camaro.

Last edited by Ke^in; 12-09-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-09-2009 | 05:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

There is so much stupid in this thread. I think this is a new record.
Old 12-09-2009 | 06:12 PM
Teching In

Agree with the above.

Time for Mr.
Old 12-09-2009 | 06:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

When do I get to become a moderator?
Old 12-09-2009 | 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
When do I get to become a moderator?

Right now -

Quick Reply: mustang kill with my ls4