Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

370Z Failed fly by attempt

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 06:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steiner
Watched a stock 370Z pull on a Stillen SC'd 350Z on the freeway about a month ago. I dunno about engine vibrations and all that but they're a $35K E46 M3 IMHO. Great value.
Too bad the E46 is a better car in evry single way and now can be found for considerably less then $35k lol
Old 12-23-2009, 06:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 06 6.0 GTO
Too bad the E46 is a better car in evry single way and now can be found for considerably less then $35k lol
That's a matter of opinion and I happen to agree but nonetheless, at least performance-wise, it's a wash. It's tough to compare used car prices to new car prices too. What else out there right that's new is a better bang for the buck than a 370z?
Old 12-23-2009, 06:52 AM
TECH Resident

That's a matter of opinion and I happen to agree but nonetheless, at least performance-wise, it's a wash. It's tough to compare used car prices to new car prices too. What else out there right that's new is a better bang for the buck than a 370z?

Genesis coupe 2.0t, 22k with $600 tune will be running low 13s all day and is a very good looker, handler and has back seats unlike the 2 seater 370.

Camaro SS. Has back seats, also looks very good. Sees 12 stock, but doesnt handle as good.

the 2011 ford mustang. Back seats, rather good handleing. 5.0 liter 400hp V8. Under $30k for a new GT.

Subaru WRX. Better in every way but looks, but then again is only like 24k new.

Mitsubishi lancer Ralliart, same basic principle as WRX.

Soon the toyota/subaru coupe will be out that will also be $22k new so i wont count that now.

Also just want to add that most of those cars also have a lot more potential then the 370Zs VQ, and in other areas as well.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:54 AM
***Repost Police***

Genesis coupe 2.0t, 22k with $600 tune will be running low 13s all day and is a very good looker, handler and has back seats unlike the 2 seater 370.

Camaro SS. Has back seats, also looks very good. Sees 12 stock, but doesnt handle as good.

the 2011 ford mustang. Back seats, rather good handleing. 5.0 liter 400hp V8. Under $30k for a new GT.

Soon the toyota/subaru coupe will be out that will also be $22k new so i wont count that now.

Also just want to add that most of those cars also have a lot more potential then the 370Zs VQ, and in other areas as well.
From what I've come to understand the Genesis is a good competitor for other 2+2 coupes, but is a far cry from a "sports car." The other cars on that list also might be cross-shopped occasionally, but they still aren't really in the same class (especially the 4 doors). Some people actually don't want a backseat, and the reason a lot of people want a sports car is intangible anyway. Which isn't exactly great for an objective comparison, but the subjective aspect can't be ignored.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Regular

I would like to point out that the genesis actually doesn't have very good handling. I've read that it's a bit rolly polly. It of course weighs a tiny bit more and isn't as equipped for the track as well. Also, edmunds and CR seem to think it's a muscle car...

The WRX is also not as quick as the 370Z. It doesn't accelerate as quick, stop as quick, or corner as hard. Remember, the 370Z has recorded a 1.0G's on a skidpad. Same goes for the Ralliart.

As for the FT86, I think that thing is going to be wicked. Can't comment too much on it though.

YOU KNOW WHAT, SCREW IT. THis thread has gone to **** anyway.

I think the FT-86 is going to be a decent car. It is supposedly going to weigh under 3000lbs and have the original WRX's 2.0l turbo EJ20. Horsepower is going to be between 200hp and 250hp. That subaru motor though doesn't sound bad for a four cylinder and has a good amount of potential. The rumor mill also has the car priced at about $20k.

As far as looks go, it has it's weird angles just like every other 21st century car. The only thing that bothers me about this car is it's name. It obviously wasn't made in '86, they seem to just be drawing towards a fan base. A fan base that is relatively small and based entirely on drifting (and even a comic book). If their ever was a more annoying fan base than drifting spectators, then I've never encountered it. I could see this car being a really nice daily driver though.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:55 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
I would like to point out that the genesis actually doesn't have very good handling. I've read that it's a bit rolly polly. It of course weighs a tiny bit more and isn't as equipped for the track as well. Also, edmunds and CR seem to think it's a muscle car...

The WRX is also not as quick as the 370Z. It doesn't accelerate as quick, stop as quick, or corner as hard. Remember, the 370Z has recorded a 1.0G's on a skidpad. Same goes for the Ralliart.

As for the FT86, I think that thing is going to be wicked. Can't comment too much on it though.

YOU KNOW WHAT, SCREW IT. THis thread has gone to **** anyway.

I think the FT-86 is going to be a decent car. It is supposedly going to weigh under 3000lbs and have the original WRX's 2.0l turbo EJ20. Horsepower is going to be between 200hp and 250hp. That subaru motor though doesn't sound bad for a four cylinder and has a good amount of potential. The rumor mill also has the car priced at about $20k.

As far as looks go, it has it's weird angles just like every other 21st century car. The only thing that bothers me about this car is it's name. It obviously wasn't made in '86, they seem to just be drawing towards a fan base. A fan base that is relatively small and based entirely on drifting (and even a comic book). If their ever was a more annoying fan base than drifting spectators, then I've never encountered it. I could see this car being a really nice daily driver though.
Hachi roku motha *****.

I like the FT86, but I can't ever admit it to anybody I know in real life :/
Old 12-23-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Gaunt
Hachi roku motha *****.

I like the FT86, but I can't ever admit it to anybody I know in real life :/
A lot of people don't know how bad the hachi roku crowd is.
Imagine a supra nutswinger and multiply it by 10.
There are very few corolla AE86's in America and they really aren't that special but some people worship them.
They are just well known because of a japanese comic and a popular drifter in japan.

The FT-86 looks like it will be a cool DD, I just hope the owners and fan base don't pull it down.
Given it's heritage and price, I don't see how that can't happen...
Old 12-23-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
A lot of people don't know how bad the hachi roku crowd is.
Imagine a supra nutswinger and multiply it by 10.
There are very few corolla AE86's in America and they really aren't that special but some people worship them.
They are just well known because of a japanese comic and a popular drifter in japan.

The FT-86 looks like it will be a cool DD, I just hope the owners and fan base don't pull it down.
Given it's heritage and price, I don't see how that can't happen...
I agree. I mean they are very overpriced for what they are, and they dont shine in a single category. And i lost all respect for them back when i had a 1990 auto volvo 740 wagon and pulled on a stock AE86 from a roll...with 2 passengers.

But yea the new FT-86 looks to be awesome, i dont buy my cars for there names so i could care less what its called (would have still bought my GTO even under the rumored cavalier XL name) to me it looks awesome and with the boxer 2.5 mill it will have some vast aftermarket potential and as almost every turbo boxer, sound sexy as hell. Oh and its RWD and in the low 20s for the track pack, brand new
Old 12-23-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Regular

the 2011 ford mustang. Back seats, rather good handleing. 5.0 liter 400hp V8.
I'm def getting a supercharger. Just so I can at least KEEP UP with these beasts. I might be buying one once the 2nd gen of those come out. That is going to be one bad-assed GT.

I wonder what the Cobras are going to have.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ke^in
I'm def getting a supercharger. Just so I can at least KEEP UP with these beasts. I might be buying one once the 2nd gen of those come out. That is going to be one bad-assed GT.

I wonder what the Cobras are going to have.
from what i read the GT500s are going to remain unchanged for a while.

I am really interested to see how the GTs do against the new SSs however. Should be close stock VS stock. Yea thats right stock vs stock
Old 12-23-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

I am really interested to see how the GTs do against the new SSs however. Should be close stock VS stock. Yea thats right stock vs stock
Yeah same here. The GT will probably have less HP, but it will weigh somewhat less. It's about time Ford stepped up to the plate. The only sucky part is, is GM allowed to put out a faster Camaro now? I heard their hands was tied. They should convince the gov that having a FASTER Camaro has everything to do with sales across the line.

I found this picture on google..

I love Mach1's BTW

http://www.ridelust.com/wp-content/u...ng_large_1.jpg

Look at the 5.0 badging.

http://ontheautomotive.files.wordpre...00182494_l.jpg
Old 12-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Launching!

Aside from having a back seat and offering a little more grand touring mix what does the E46 do better then a 370Z?
Old 12-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sw07gt
I'm not saying a 6.0 GTO can't beat a 370Z, I think it would a be a drivers race. It just seems like every time you post in the Street Racing section its to say, "no that's not right car x isn't that fast, I know I've beat one by x amount."
I think equal drivers an LS2 GTO will beat a 370Z every time. The automatic 370Z might be closer still.

Can't compare modded cars either. I would say the Camaro SS but the 370Z offers a lot for the $$ new to new.

Not much of the others could race in SCCA T2 without mods.

Originally Posted by RedBeauty84ZX
Aside from having a back seat and offering a little more grand touring mix what does the E46 do better then a 370Z?
Do vs. has?
Better, smoother engine for sure. Stock brake components (brake lines, etc) better for track use I would guess based on the 350Z results. Also oil temps are not an issue for the E46.

Probably a nicer interior as well.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

Smoother ride, better handling, faster in a straight line, badge, looks are anyones call but i find the M3 to be classier.

Also the BMWs motor...well thats another story all together
Old 12-23-2009, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Deuuuce

Do vs. has?
Better, smoother engine for sure. Stock brake components (brake lines, etc) better for track use I would guess based on the 350Z results. Also oil temps are not an issue for the E46.

not probably but definitely nicer interior, you know it's true you're in bimmerforums too lol

before i sold my SS i raced my friend's e46 M3, he lost and being a sore loser he was he said to me at least i have way nicer interior than your POS american crap....oh and he said he'd take me in corners any day lol i love the bimmer crowds

back to topic, i've never been inside a 370Z but from what i've heard and read they're capable of 13.1@107, not to shabby for 332hp stock and with the value around $35k it's a great buy IMO
Old 12-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Launching!

Smoother ride
Ok...
better handling
No.
faster in a straight line
No.
badge
lame.
looks are anyones call but i find the M3 to be classier.
ok.

Also the BMWs motor...well thats another story all together
You're right...I wouldnt want the head ache of dealing with an E46 engine...nor the frequent repair bills....not to mention the VQ37VHR responds much better to basic mods anyway.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Do vs. has?
The 370Z can actually be equiped to have more available options/luxuries then what the E46s could come iwth.
Better, smoother engine for sure.
Better? No. Smoother...sure.

Stock brake components (brake lines, etc) better for track use I would guess based on the 350Z results.
Were comparing it to a 370Z...370Zs have nearly identical caliper/disc sizes to a E46 M3. Their probably equal here...but the M3s carrying more weight.

Also oil temps are not an issue for the E46.
They just have a million other issues...
How many BMWs have you owned/driven in? They've never been known for having a nice interior compared to the cars their compared against....Don't know if you've seen the 370Zs interior in person yet but its significantly better then what the 350Zs was:

Last edited by RedBeauty84ZX; 12-23-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:59 PM
11 Second Club

Ok...

No.

No.

lame.

ok.

You're right...I wouldnt want the head ache of dealing with an E46 engine...nor the frequent repair bills....not to mention the VQ37VHR responds much better to basic mods anyway.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

I would choose a 370z over an E46 M3 simply because the 370z weighs considerably less and already has a larger aftermarket...
Old 12-23-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The 370Z can actually be equiped to have more available options/luxuries then what the E46s could come iwth.
Stop kidding yourself. BMW > Nissan.

Better? No. Smoother...sure.
Yes, better. BMW motors are better designed and engineered than your crappy Nissan V6. They also don't make horrible sounds, vibrate your nuts off, or burn oil like your shitty VQ does.

Were comparing it to a 370Z...370Zs have nearly identical caliper/disc sizes to a E46 M3. Their probably equal here...but the M3s carrying more weight.
And the M3 still has better brakes for daily driving as well as the track. Nissan has notorious brake overheating issues. They are so bad that in Car and Driver's test, the Z and the Infiniti FX both had their pedals drop to the floor after only a few hard stops. Even the Accord and Malibu outperformed them. Nissan brakes are garbage.

They just have a million other issues...
BMW's are more expensive to maintain and repair than other vehicles. However, your statement is completely blown out of proportion. In fact, BMW has a much better reliability track record than Nissan, and the actually fix cars for free under warranty. People may $85K for a new Nissan GTR, only to have Nissan tell them to go pound sand when the transmission blows up, leaving them with a $20,000 repair bill. Can't say I've ever heard of BMW doing that to their customers. Especially not those that drop that kind of money on a car.

How many BMWs have you owned/driven in? They've never been known for having a nice interior compared to the cars their compared against....Don't know if you've seen the 370Zs interior in person yet but its significantly better then what the 350Zs was
BMW interiors are much better than any of the plastic garbage Nissan has ever put in a car. The only person you're fooling is yourself.