Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Why i dont like ricers, and love Cubic Inches

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
So $8k?
I came up with 7200 or so. There are a couple of things I did that I didnt have to but I like being safe than sorry since I daily drive the car. If you take out the price of the drag radials ( CCW drag set, I like my car look good as well as be fast) thats about 5200. I could have ran drag radials on the 16 inch stock MKIII rims I have. If you take off the price of a built transmission its even better. The stock tranny is only good to about 450 rwhp or so. Not SUPER cheap but far from being a fortune.

Last edited by FEARSM; 01-29-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

So you put 90K on a 500wrhp car and nothing broke??;either youre babying the car like no one or youre just damn right too lucky!! What about the internals?
Old 01-29-2010, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Ws6Wicked
haha this thread is hilarious.

it doesnt matter how fast you are, there will always be someone faster then you.

but stock for stock, mod for mod, a LSx car will beat 99% of cars out there.

LSX FTW
You said it...now this thread=
Old 01-29-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FEARSM
I came up with 7200 or so. There are a couple of things I did that I didnt have to but I like being safe than sorry since I daily drive the car. If you take out the price of the drag radials ( CCW drag set, I like my car look good as well as be fast) thats about 5200. I could have ran drag radials on the 16 inch stock MKIII rims I have. If you take off the price of a built transmission its even better. The stock tranny is only good to about 450 rwhp or so. Not SUPER cheap but far from being a fortune.
Sounds a tad bit more than ls1 to run the same times.. But not a considerable amount of difference. It would come down to preference. Of course the fbody is cheaper to begin with but that is irrelevant.
The fbody is notorious for being cheap to mod and minimal mods greatly reduce the ET. It is kind of pointless to bring the money thing into equation. If you have the money buy and mod whatever you want. If it takes you 100k to get to 10s, so be it. But personally I would rather do it for 4k.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
So you put 90K on a 500wrhp car and nothing broke??;either youre babying the car like no one or youre just damn right too lucky!! What about the internals?
Uh, the stock internals are good to over 800 rwhp. After that its just the rods that need to be replaced. He asked about THAT particular run. I built my engine when I went to the 72mm turbo and nitrous. I didnt want to spray on the stock rods. I did put about 50K on that first setup though. I never babied the car. I have 100's of 1/4 mile passes and I used to street race constantly back then.

Last edited by FEARSM; 01-29-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Sounds a tad bit more than ls1 to run the same times.. But not a considerable amount of difference. It would come down to preference. Of course the fbody is cheaper to begin with but that is irrelevant.
The fbody is notorious for being cheap to mod and minimal mods greatly reduce the ET. It is kind of pointless to bring the money thing into equation. If you have the money buy and mod whatever you want. If it takes you 100k to get to 10s, so be it. But personally I would rather do it for 4k.
Cant argue with you there. I was just saying it's cheaper than most people think to run some decent times with a Supra. Just have to know what works. What alot of people dont understand is that there are more Fbods produced in a year then all the Supra turbos between 1993.5 to 1998. There were only 6300 or so imported to the U.S. We have a very small market so aftermarket parts are going to be more expensive.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FEARSM
Cant argue with you there. I was just saying it's cheaper than most people think to run some decent times with a Supra. Just have to know what works.
True that, as in any other platform.

I think most just put a ton of power in the car and neglect things such as suspension and tire setup. Then they just talk people into going from 65mph rolls so none of that stuff matters.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Teching In

True that, as in any other platform.

I think most just put a ton of power in the car and neglect things such as suspension and tire setup. Then they just talk people into going from 65mph rolls so none of that stuff matters.
LOL..THAT is so very true. But also alot of Supra arent into drag racing. So that dont take the time to address the issues needed to run the 1/4 mile properly. Then they use other peoples drag numbers that make about the same power as a comparison. Then when the DO go to the track, they suck. But everyone was expecting them to run the time that they compared their setup to.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:37 AM
TECH Regular

You can get a 4cyl to beat a stock LS1. I've seen it. But once the LS1 gets those mods done, there isn't anything you can do to the 4cyl anymore to keep up. A 8cyl always has the advantage from day one. I used to mess with domestic 4cyl turbos just for fun. Even then I barely made it to what my stock 8cyl makes. I can't see me ever not owning a 8v.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ke^in
You can get a 4cyl to beat a stock LS1. I've seen it. But once the LS1 gets those mods done, there isn't anything you can do to the 4cyl anymore to keep up. A 8cyl always has the advantage from day one. I used to mess with domestic 4cyl turbos just for fun. Even then I barely made it to what my stock 8cyl makes. I can't see me ever not owning a 8v.
Theres a lot of EVOs that would disagree. And while i do love my instant all motor power, an EVO has always been a tempting choice, and definitaly the smarter one for me as where i live there are only 2 months a year when it is dry AND warm at the same time lol
Old 01-30-2010, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ke^in
No doubt that displacement has the advantage, but I've held my own against LS1's. At the same time, I've found that 2v's are usually a joke. I am quite a bit more modded then your typical 4banger though.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
Did you really just compare a Nissan to a Porsche? Really? They aren't even in the same league. Regardless of the performance.
Yes I did. Just like every automotive publication out there. Why not? You guys compare f-bodies to AMG benzes just based on 1/4 mile performance. I would take a GTR any day over a Porsche, But i'm a Nissan driver. I wouldnt own a porsche for the same reason I sold my Bimmer... You always look like an arrogant douchebag when your driving it, especially during a recession when people are losing their houses.

And to all the people who say "Imports suck, LS1 owns the universe." I've wanted a camaro since I was 16. I couldn't even afford one until I was 21 just because of the cost of gas/insurance/upkeep, not to mention I can only drive it 4 months out of the year due to weather conditions. Owning a "riceburner" just made more sense at the time. Now that I own an LS1 I will admit: Dollar for dollar, mod for mod they are hard to pass up. And having torque is nice for a change.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Finkle06
not to mention I can only drive it 4 months out of the year due to weather conditions.
I know what you mean. It saddens me every time I go back to my parent's house from college and walk in the garage to see my beauty just sitting their all waxed and shiny looking like she wants to go for a spin but I know I wouldn't make it past the driveway. Even more saddening to have to walk past it and jump into my 03 Eclipse GS 4banger daily driver haha
Old 01-30-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 06 6.0 GTO
Theres a lot of EVOs that would disagree. And while i do love my instant all motor power, an EVO has always been a tempting choice, and definitaly the smarter one for me as where i live there are only 2 months a year when it is dry AND warm at the same time lol
I don't care if they disagree or not. Once you get to the track their precious AWD advantage is out the door and they are a disadvantage with the power being robbed down the track.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:28 PM
Teching In

I don't care if they disagree or not. Once you get to the track their precious AWD advantage is out the door and they are a disadvantage with the power being robbed down the track.
If only you weren't so far away.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dsmfan95
If only you weren't so far away.
Out of curiosity, what do you run?
Old 01-30-2010, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Out of curiosity, what do you run?
I haven't ran in a year, but I was doing 6.9/7.0's on street tires. Haven't got a chance to throw on the slicks yet or test out the new clutch.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

I haven't ran in a year, but I was doing 6.9/7.0's on street tires. Haven't got a chance to throw on the slicks yet or test out the new clutch.
Mods? Those are good times from an Evo.

If I was closer, we would be a very good run!
Old 01-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Mods? Those are good times from an Evo.

If I was closer, we would be a very good run!
Stock motor (minus cams/head studs), bolt-ons, EvoRed, e85. ~500whp.

Oil pump took a **** this fall and killed a bearing. So I'm building it up a little for next spring.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Stock motor (minus cams/head studs), bolt-ons, EvoRed, e85. ~500whp.

Oil pump took a **** this fall and killed a bearing. So I'm building it up a little for next spring.
Ahhh.. You are a bit more modded than the ones I have been able to get my hands on, at the track or on the street. Probably a better driver as well!

That sucks ***, I haven't had any problems yet. *Knock on wood...

I'm expecting 7.1s on motor on the 21st and 6.6Xs on nitrous. I'm sure the rear is going to go though when I spray it. If it holds and I don't blow through the converter I would love to see some 6.4Xs, but that is pushing it.. We will see!