Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

01 Z28 Cam Only vs Evo X 29 psi

Old 01-26-2010, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Z28 Cam Only vs Evo X 29 psi

Was coming home and as I was leaving the base, low and behold a silver Evo X right in front. I have not raced with the new modifications yet so I threw him a rev and heard him immediately gear down: ITS ON! 40 mph start, I honk and on the 3rd he takes off and pulls me by a fender, tires finally caught (bald *** street tires on a cold night oops) and by 70 I am inching ahead, plus his shifting was not the fastest, ill be nice. We shut down at about 110 with me by a car lenght and freely pulling. I think anyways, but it was reeeaaaally close and a damn exciting. I gave the thumbs up afterwards and he asked to pull over. His mods are FMIC, full exhaust and a comprehensive tune. He was pretty excited, seems he only just got the car back from the mods being done. We might be going to MMP once it warms up some. Cool night
Old 01-26-2010, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

good write up and Nice kill, its always fun testing out new mods
Old 01-26-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

must be a big cam on the z28, i think an evo setup like that would move decently.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Haha trust me, Im glad there is no video, the "o ****" look on my face when he took off was probably priceless, I even remember making sure my foot was alll the way down LOL. I suspect he might have run out of fuel at the top, strong car still

Btw, baby cam daily driver here. 226/228 113
Oh yeah, I might would have done better if the F'n E-cutout that I ordered 1/15 was on the car
Old 01-27-2010, 02:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a great night n 2 good runin cars.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
must be a big cam on the z28, i think an evo setup like that would move decently.
No trust me the EVO Xs dont respond to mods anywhere near as well as the previous generations.

I raced one with the same mods a last winter off of every roll imaginable and it was just straight murder. Hell off of rolls stock SRT4s were giving him a run for his money lol
Old 01-27-2010, 07:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 06 6.0 GTO
No trust me the EVO Xs dont respond to mods anywhere near as well as the previous generations.

I raced one with the same mods a last winter off of every roll imaginable and it was just straight murder. Hell off of rolls stock SRT4s were giving him a run for his money lol
They actually respond to mods just as good as the Evo IX's. It's the weight that hurts them.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dsmfan95
They actually respond to mods just as good as the Evo IX's. It's the weight that hurts them.
I never looked into the EVO Xs too much to be honest so you are most likely correct.

But yes the 4b11 is quite an amazing motor, guess it just plain makes sense that its the extra weight thats contributing to EVO Xs poor performance in comparison to previous EVOs
Old 01-27-2010, 08:45 AM
TECH Regular

Good kill! :thumbsup:
Old 01-27-2010, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Those little things are wild. It seems like lately there have been alot more of modded Evo's rolling around that would really put a hurting on some of the bigger CI guys.

From what I have heard they are a chore to drive around town when you start swapping turbos. All kinds of lag. I have also noticed in alot of videos with modded evos racing Vipers, and Corvettes, the Evo will dissapear for a few seconds when they take off, and then come back around pulling hard a few seconds later.

With what I just said about them being laggy, I still think they are awesome cars. It is impressive that a little 4 banger sedan can be beating up on blown V8's.

Anyways, good kill. Sounds like your car runs well for it's mods.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys, driving a stalled auto can be compared to a big turbo 4 cyl. its either all or nothing
Old 02-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, the new evo X's are alot like the newer camaros, they have a so called better engine(i'm a 4g63 fan), more power, but not any faster stock due to the wieght gain.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redctsv
Yeah, the new evo X's are alot like the newer camaros, they have a so called better engine(i'm a 4g63 fan), more power, but not any faster stock due to the wieght gain.
how is the ls3 not better then a ls1? also i have never seen a video of a bone stock 4th gen out running a bone stock 5th gen, both with good drivers. be it from a roll, stop, parallel parking, k turns, etc. i havent seen it.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

how is the ls3 not better then a ls1? also i have never seen a video of a bone stock 4th gen out running a bone stock 5th gen, both with good drivers. be it from a roll, stop, parallel parking, k turns, etc. i havent seen it.
he didnt say the ls3 wasnt better than the ls1.. he sayin its a better engine just like the so called new engine is in the new evo but puts it on par performance wise with the previous gen like the ls1 camaro due to weight gains for both the new camaro and new evo..
Old 02-04-2010, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

but i still dont think a bone stock full weight ls1 camaro is on par with a bone stock full weight ls3 camaro. even with the weight penalty on the 2010. I just havent seen a race be it from a roll or a drag where the ls1 would come out on top.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:25 AM
***Repost Police***

But it is still close enough where you look at the 7 year hiatus and wonder if they couldn't have done a little better...
Old 02-04-2010, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
But it is still close enough where you look at the 7 year hiatus and wonder if they couldn't have done a little better...
Its just so...heavy
Old 02-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 06 6.0 GTO

Are you kinding me? the respond much more than the previous ones.

Stock turbo:
http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-d...-bolt-ons.html
http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-d...o-results.html
http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-d...torsports.html

35r turbo:
http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-d...es-please.html
Old 02-04-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I mean they managed to make a new camaro that is better built, safer, has a vastly better interior, faster both in a straight line and around a road course, etc.
all for a good price point.

is it heavy.... yes, but its still quicker then the last camaro on both a drag strip and a track with turns.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

but i still dont think a bone stock full weight ls1 camaro is on par with a bone stock full weight ls3 camaro. even with the weight penalty on the 2010. I just havent seen a race be it from a roll or a drag where the ls1 would come out on top.
i do agree with this.. From a roll i think the ls3 camaro would always win.
From a dig its a drivers race with the majority going to the ls3. Its not impossible for a stock ls1 to beat a stock ls3 from a dig just highly unlikely with 2 good drivers.

Search this Thread