Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2003 Subaru WRX vs 300C Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2003 Subaru WRX vs 300C Hemi

Happened too fast for a camera as I wasn't expecting a race. I just bought the WRX and was breaking in the new clutch for 500 miles (was bout 450, so I said wth) and wasn't quite broke in yet, so I didn't powershift. We rolled up to a light beside each other.
He looks over and I grin and rev..so we roll out to about 10mph. I'm just waiting for his go. I was on top of it, as soon as he punched it, I hit full boost immediately and pulled maybe a fender on him. That was short lived as I short and granny shifted 2nd, and he started coming around me.
Speedlimit was 50, so by 60-65 he had a fender on me and I let out. My first race in the subie. I'm assuming he was "stockish" like me and didn't know what to expect, so I'm ok with the outcome. I only have a blowoff valve and fart can from the previous owner, which prolly do nothing for the performance. I need to do a few mods and get a tune. It backfired when I hit second, which means its running a bit rich, right?
Im new to these cars, but I got a good deal, and so far it seems like a heck of a car. It has 138k miles, but hasn't seemed to have lost much power. We could have raced again at the next light, but there was traffic, so I just let him go. I do plan on racing it some more and getting some track times this year..its different to take off without spinning..on street tires.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

turbo's crap out: probably already been replaced since the persistent rumor is that you get between 40,000 and 70,000 miles of normal use out of one before it goes. Other than that, can't recall too much bad- unless you go for more boost, then the stock transmission are a weak point that is solved by inserting a Sti transmission which is effectively bulletproof.

Thought long and hard about getting a Sti before I got the GTO: then I found out that they dont get any better gas mileage so I said F* it, give the the LS2!
Old 03-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
turbo's crap out: probably already been replaced since the persistent rumor is that you get between 40,000 and 70,000 miles of normal use out of one before it goes.
Uhh no. That's BS. The TD04 is water and oil cooled. As long as you're not running 30psi with a kinked oil line it should last 100k+. No need to turbo time it like some DSMs.

I will say, if you power shift and clutch dump every stop light, your syncros and gears are likely to fail.
I owned a wrx for 5 years before I bought my gto.

Nice race OP. Get rid of that bov and go stage 2. You'll love it.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Get a catless downpipe/up-pipe(stock has 3 cats between the both of them) if you don't half to worry about smog, 3" catback, and a Accessport, then later get a VF39 turbo(STI turbo) and a tune . All can be bought use for cheap and will make a huge difference in the power when compare to stock. I think stock WRX are putting out 185AWHP so those mods should bring you up considerably. You can add headers to if you want ! I got beat in my STI when I was stock by a full bolt-on wrx.

The BOV is making the car run rich a the stock should be fine or a STi would suffice, and get rid of the fart cann and get a catback like said above.

WRX weigh less than the sti cause the drivetrtain is not so beefed up ! Stay away from Exedy clutches, the don't last long at all.

Just go and have some fun ! You'll suprise the hell out of some people with these cars especially the old hot rod guys.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Daz
Get a catless downpipe/up-pipe(stock has 3 cats between the both of them) if you don't half to worry about smog, 3" catback, and a Accessport, then later get a VF39 turbo(STI turbo) and a tune . All can be bought use for cheap and will make a huge difference in the power when compare to stock. I think stock WRX are putting out 185AWHP so those mods should bring you up considerably. You can add headers to if you want ! I got beat in my STI when I was stock by a full bolt-on wrx.

The BOV is making the car run rich a the stock should be fine or a STi would suffice, and get rid of the fart cann and get a catback like said above.

WRX weigh less than the sti cause the drivetrtain is not so beefed up ! Stay away from Exedy clutches, the don't last long at all.

Just go and have some fun ! You'll suprise the hell out of some people with these cars especially the old hot rod guys.
If he added a VF39 and the up and down pipes im fairly certain he would also need a fuel pump and injectors unless he plans to run at lower then stock psi haha Also depending on what year the wrx is the second gear, well the whole tranny actually, may not take the abuse too long, and as it has 138k miles...well if it was never replaced the first mod i would do is swap in an STi trans, those can take A LOT more abuse.

A friend had an 04 wrx with exactly those mods. At 53k miles the second gear sychro blew out. But god dam when the turbo kicked in it was ridiculous!
Old 03-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

He could use STi injectors and a aftermarket fp. The STi tranny is bulletproof but a little expensive too, plus he'll really hate his gas mileage once he installs one, but it'll put a huge smile on his face when he lauches that thing.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

I've got about 2 grand to spend..where's a good place to round up some of these perf. mods on the cheap? The trans is in great shape right now and since I just installed a clutch, I think I'll press my luck for a while on that. What should I put down with the above mods? Where (rpm) do these cars make peak power stock? What should I expect in the 1/8th taking off @ low rpm?
Old 03-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Goto Nasioc.com ! Its an all Suby enthusiast site. $2k is good for plenty of mods, you should be able to get the whole turboback system, up pipe, Accesport(a handheld tuner with OTS maps on it that you download off of their site and then flash onto the cars ecu. Plus when you get tuned your maps will be on it) for probably around $1200. The Accessport will probably run you $350(on average, could be more)depending on what version you get(I or II). Its also year specific and mate to your car.

A TBE(Dp & Catback) & Accessport will allow you to go Stage 2, you just have to flash it on when you get the Accessport.

If your a really good driver you can crank out 1.6-1.8 60' ft and a 13.7-8 1/4(IDK what that translate to 1/8 but these cars are great for 1/8).

According to Cobbtuning.com stage 2 will get you to 285hp @ the crank thats up from 227hp and with some tuning you caould possibly get an additional 15-20+ but that turbo will be peaked. Full boost by 3000 or so.
Its been a couple of years since I owned my STi so the prices on stuff may
be higher or lower.

There's plenty of other sites so just go to google and type in WRX forums.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Since no one really commented on it... from the factory they're programmed to run very rich since they don't want to custom tune for each region.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

It seems pretty rich to me so thats very believable..pretty lazy actually..drove the LT1 today and it feels stronger. I think the subie is just smoother
Old 03-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Teching In

as someone else said get rid of that bov, the reason for it spitting flames is because the computer freaks out and dumps fuel. they come stock with a recirculated diverter valve which dumps air back into the hot side intercooler piping.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:16 AM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Old 03-18-2010, 03:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by shaneswigs
as someone else said get rid of that bov, the reason for it spitting flames is because the computer freaks out and dumps fuel. they come stock with a recirculated diverter valve which dumps air back into the hot side intercooler piping.
Not 100% true.

Diverter valve is a VW/Euro term.

The wrx/sti/LGT all come with a 100% recirculating BPV, stock. (ByP*** Valve)

Once you let off the throttle (under boost), the pressure recirculates back through the intake after the airflow sensor, to keep the turbo spinning and build boost for the next gear. If you have a BOV, the pressure vents out into the atmosphere. Making a cool swoooooosh sound I might add.
Having compressed air shoot back into your intercooler piping with spin or stall the turbo wheel. Which is the complete opposite reason why you have a BOV/BPV/Diverter valve/etc. in the first place.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

Found out last night just how bad the car was running..may have video up soon. I left at 4500rpm at the local 1/8th and only managed a 9.5 powershifting at 6500rpm. It took off decent but not perfect..but the turbo civic I raced caught me at half track and put 2 cars on me.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by speedshifterNC
Found out last night just how bad the car was running..may have video up soon. I left at 4500rpm at the local 1/8th and only managed a 9.5 powershifting at 6500rpm. It took off decent but not perfect..but the turbo civic I raced caught me at half track and put 2 cars on me.
That's not a bad time at all. Bone stock they're around 9.3-9.4 in the 1/8th mile.

Don't let your ego get the best of you. That's how **** breaks. . . . ask me how I know.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Teching In

imo since the wrx is all wheel drive it ganna lose power from a dead stop cuz it got to transfer power to all 4 wheels. i owned a wrx for a while. now drive a huge truck to run all yall over j/k dont get offended
Old 03-21-2010, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

heres the video..I'm in the near lane

http://s556.photobucket.com/albums/s...ent=soobie.flv
Old 03-21-2010, 06:40 PM
10 Second Club

Video is not working for me!
Old 03-22-2010, 06:22 AM
11 Second Club

http://s556.photobucket.com/albums/s...ent=soobie.flv
Old 03-22-2010, 12:27 PM
***Repost Police***

Gotta slip that clutch some more, cuz you're bogging as soon as you come off the line. And FWIW, my stock 150k+ mile '94 Integra ran a 9.7 . What was your trap?

Quick Reply: 2003 Subaru WRX vs 300C Hemi