Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

ZR1 vs CarreraGT and Another ZR1 doing 80-200+mph Crazy...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well since we're on the topic of sounds.... skip to 0:30 if you don't think I'm onto something...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCOcbJ89xG8
Old 03-24-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Good points but with AWD and automated transmissions, those are 2 big factors that are very consistent and in stock form, cannot be improved upon.

I also wonder, at least for the GT-R, if a 100lb weight reduction (full tank vs. near empty) is less dramatic for a 3900lb car vs. a 3100lb car? In other words, the percentage of overall weight dropped is less.

Can you refer me to a source for the new 911TT? I want to read up on the dyno results. Being a mid-engine car with the DCT, it won't have much loss (10%?) and also has an overboost for an extra 30hp or so iirc.
I don't remember the link but I followed it out from the post about the Car and Driver Article in the ZR1 section of the corvette forum. But, the tuner that builds the 996's/997 911's, GT2's, had one dyno'd and that biotch put 10hp less than what it's rated at the crank!!! BS, Honestly, Porsche is just playing the game and pimped smacked Nissan with that one.

We all know the GTR is WAY underrated and since that car was built to compete with the 911tt, (that was stated by Nissan, not me!) I guess Prosche decided to play the same HP games! Think about the incredible performance increases the 911tt just went through and ask yourself why now? If the GTR wasn't boosting those 0-60mph times and AWD/DSG, do you think Porsche would of unveiled VERY SIMILAR parts (has launch control!) and better performance numbers so soon? (0-60mph 2.9!!)

Anyways, those trans soak up power though the midengine design MIGHT help out. AWD definitely soaks up power. More moving parts, more friction to over come, more power being used.

At the weight, though the overall percentage is less, still, 100lbs. is 100lbs in whatever car you are building. It will get faster. Now a better topic to discuss is WHERE would you want to drop the weight and if TOO MUCH weight drop from one part of the car might unbalance the package.

Originally Posted by CHRRRIS
Well since we're on the topic of sounds.... skip to 0:30 if you don't think I'm onto something...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCOcbJ89xG8
Oldie but a good one! That car was/is sick!
Old 03-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by obZidian
If the GTR wasn't boosting those 0-60mph times and AWD/DSG, do you think Porsche would of unveiled VERY SIMILAR parts (has launch control!) and better performance numbers so soon? (0-60mph 2.9!!)
Actually the 997 TT was already a little quicker than the GT-R. Now with the 7spd DCT transmission, it hits 60mph in 3rd gear. Proably the most aggressively geared performance car on the road. Wrote an article about that too. I would guess it's 530+hp.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Actually the 997 TT was already a little quicker than the GT-R. Now with the 7spd DCT transmission, it hits 60mph in 3rd gear. Proably the most aggressively geared performance car on the road. Wrote an article about that too. I would guess it's 530+hp.
Right, but Nissan went out and directed the GTR to be THEIR 997tt. If I was Porsche, I would of done exactly what they did with the new 911 and produce and ad or two with a GTR getting walked!

That DCT trans is quite impressive, didn't know it was geared that tight.... I guess the trend now for performance cars is to have sick 0-100mph times with tight ratio, semi-auto trans, adaptive TC/STC, AWD and launch control.

Quick Reply: ZR1 vs CarreraGT and Another ZR1 doing 80-200+mph Crazy...