Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Called out a Ferrari

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 08:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The paddle shifter transmission in the Ferrari isn't an automatic. It's an automated clutch sequential manual and shifts damn quick and pretty firm. In fact, many car journalists have bitched that it shifts too hard and quick.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fun fact: For a while you couldn't even get a manual transmission in a Ferrari. They are not only slower but less mpg then the amazing paddle shifted "autos" (like stated, they are not really a true automatic transmission).

Their paddle shifted transmissions are just that good. I wish I could get a chance to drive one, total badass.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how did i miss this thread?

Originally Posted by mannyman84
Plus I know the f430 scuderia shifts really quick but is it the same tranny on the regular 430???
idk, but it still shifts faster than you can blink.

Thanks. I'm not sure how fast my car is either. I've never ran another stock Ls. I'm probably racing guys that don't know how to drive their cars
obviously you are.

I'm going to try to get into the 12's my friends don't think I can.
you wont, unless you endlessly practice launching at the track.

Probably shifting early or something. Cool guy, and next time I will have some footage
he probably was they rev to like 8500 or something so he could keep up with you at ~6500. didnt you say he lives by you? if so,
1-go take a picture of the car so we know for sure its an f430
2-go ask him for a run ON VIDEO.

and start carrying a video camera since you seem to run into alot of disputable races. my cousin married a (then) Rams DE and he had an f430. i rode in it once up til ~170 and i can tell it pulls HARD up top. he would have walked away from you if he tried (he sold it for an escalade and put a TT 434 LSX in it , which is supposed to be going in a 5th gen).
Old 04-20-2010, 09:33 AM
12 Second Club

It also was an auto with paddle shifters, everytime he would shift I would see the car slightly slow down for less than a second and catch up again. Plus. I drive the hell out of my M6
forgot this one. it wouldnt slow down under any shift mode. even the slowest is really fast.

ive driven a DSG GTI Fahrenheit edition and those things shift pretty quick, no ferrari but a true twin clutch auto/manual thingy. if i had it in M and didnt hit the paddle, it wouldnt shift. those "manumatics" in your everyday car are nothing close to what a ferraris tranny is.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

I agree that it shouldn't have happened... but like so many of us have said anything can happen on the street..good killl OP
Old 04-20-2010, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

A race is not only against the car, but against the driver too. So a win is a win.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:48 AM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Guys, a win is a win

Good kill
Old 04-20-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WSsick

he probably was they rev to like 8500 or something so he could keep up with you at ~6500. didnt you say he lives by you? if so,
1-go take a picture of the car so we know for sure its an f430
2-go ask him for a run ON VIDEO.

and start carrying a video camera since you seem to run into alot of disputable races. my cousin married a (then) Rams DE and he had an f430. i rode in it once up til ~170 and i can tell it pulls HARD up top. he would have walked away from you if he tried (he sold it for an escalade and put a TT 434 LSX in it , which is supposed to be going in a 5th gen).
I do have my camera (iphone) but see i at times dont have a passenger to to record this, the only vids ive recorded is when i have someone with me.... And the guy with the ferrari doesnt live by here, his friend does..

forgot this one. it wouldnt slow down under any shift mode. even the slowest is really fast.

ive driven a DSG GTI Fahrenheit edition and those things shift pretty quick, no ferrari but a true twin clutch auto/manual thingy. if i had it in M and didnt hit the paddle, it wouldnt shift. those "manumatics" in your everyday car are nothing close to what a ferraris tranny is.
ive driven my friends GTI aswell, its an 09 and that thing sucks..i dont like how it shifts between gears, to me it feels like if u loose speed for a tiny bit
Old 04-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Launching!

seems like a load of BS to me....

a f430 spider is a VERY rare car......The chances of running in to one..Then getting the driver to race you and then some how pulling a 1/4 car in third gear in your 106 mph fbody verses a 120 mph ferrari?????????

I dont throw out the BS flag very often...But on this one I have no choice
Old 04-20-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

throw what u want dude. i know what i saw and know what i raced and i did talk to the guy, that motha was younger than me too... probably spoiled
Old 04-20-2010, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

I do have my camera (iphone) but see i at times dont have a passenger to to record this, the only vids ive recorded is when i have someone with me.... And the guy with the ferrari doesnt live by here, his friend does..

ive driven my friends GTI aswell, its an 09 and that thing sucks..i dont like how it shifts between gears, to me it feels like if u loose speed for a tiny bit
you sure it was a GTI? i had the car to myself for about 2 hours, tried out everything, and it never felt like that. i tried out everything, including launch control, which was fun that is a peppy little turbo car and loses zero boost through gear changes in that tranny (you should feel alot more speed loss in a 6 speed fbody cuz youll enver out shift a DSG), so you must have had it in auto mode or you are just crazy...........or you lied.

Originally Posted by Killemall
seems like a load of BS to me....

a f430 spider is a VERY rare car......The chances of running in to one..Then getting the driver to race you and then some how pulling a 1/4 car in third gear in your 106 mph fbody verses a 120 mph ferrari?????????

I dont throw out the BS flag very often...But on this one I have no choice

ill help you ....although i already gave my point of view. i just like throwing it
Old 04-20-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Junkie

More than you can afford pal, Ferrari.

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 04-20-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you sure it was a GTI? i had the car to myself for about 2 hours, tried out everything, and it never felt like that. i tried out everything, including launch control, which was fun that is a peppy little turbo car and loses zero boost through gear changes in that tranny (you should feel alot more speed loss in a 6 speed fbody cuz youll enver out shift a DSG), so you must have had it in auto mode or you are just crazy...........or you lied.

ill help you ....although i already gave my point of view. i just like throwing it
haha very funny!! but yes its a GTI he is my best friend and my neighbor i know what GTI's look like... Here is a pic....

Old 04-20-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
Ferrari, more than you can afford Pal

Old 04-20-2010, 12:35 PM
Teching In

It also was an auto with paddle shifters, everytime he would shift I would see the car slightly slow down for less than a second and catch up again. Plus. I drive the hell out of my M6
I can't speak for the ferrari as I've never driven one, but this is the exact behavior my M6 (which is a clutchless manual) exhibits when I'm driving leisurely and my foot isn't in it (even if I bring the revs pretty high). The shifts don't start getting faster until i'm giving it more than 1/2 throttle.

If there are any similarities across different clutchless manuals in this aspect, then I take this as evidence that he was clearly pushing the car just enough to beat you... ya know, kind of like what might happen if a tough guy challenged a ufc fighter to a cage match.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:08 PM
12 Second Club

get some headers and exhaust on the M6 and do some WOT videos! i love that V10!
Old 04-20-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

He probably did not take you seriously the first time and was not really in it. Then he realized he had to actually put some effort into it but still may not have been running all out. I have ran dead even with a 360 (with mods in sig) so a 430 would walk away. Our cars do put up a good fight though.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

The 09+ DSG GTI's are also automated manuals. If the one you were in didn't shift quickly, than there is something wrong with it.
Most automated manuals have shift times in the very low tenths of a second range. THe Ferrari F430's gearbox shifts only take 150 milliseconds (.15 seconds). That's pretty damn quick.
Also, a DSG box would result in vacuum during shifts (like in a conventional H-pattern gearbox), but I could see where it would seem like you didn't loose boost during shifts; The GTI isn't running that much boost and the turbo is relatively small if I rmember correctly.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
The 09+ DSG GTI's are also automated manuals. If the one you were in didn't shift quickly, than there is something wrong with it.
Most automated manuals have shift times in the very low tenths of a second range. THe Ferrari F430's gearbox shifts only take 150 milliseconds (.15 seconds). That's pretty damn quick.
Also, a DSG box would result in vacuum during shifts (like in a conventional H-pattern gearbox), but I could see where it would seem like you didn't loose boost during shifts; The GTI isn't running that much boost and the turbo is relatively small if I rmember correctly.
the turbo is small. not sure what its boosting
Old 04-20-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hope this puts it into perspective for you...

Heres a F430 racing a C6 Z... From a roll...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bWjNUadJHs

And you pulled a car on him... hahaha. So I guess 10's arent out of the question for me with my mods.... LMAO!