Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Called out a Ferrari

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Called out a Ferrari

So there is this guy that stays by my street, his friend has a ferrari 430 yellow, real sexy exotic. I seen them pass by while im finishing waxing my car. so i wipe the last wax spot and take off after them. I stop and talk to the guy, really cool guy...Usually u would think they are some cocky mothas because of what they drive but this wasnt the case....I asked him if he wanted to run and that i knew he would beat me but just wanted to see how i would hang, he said no i have to go somewhere and that he knew that he would win and he used to own an SS camaro and its a totally different experience.. I said well ok then long story short after i cought him at the light i convinced him to run. we went to this 4 lane empty road and ran twice from a roll. the first run was from a high roll in 1st gear i had my rpm around 4800 not sure what MPH but i honked it off and by the end of my third i had half car on him, probably a little less, then slowed because of rail road tracks. Second run we did it from a lower roll my rpm was pretty low this time, 3000 and he got me for about a little more than a car lenght and kept pulling.... by the end of my third i let off and stopped because of an intersection......First loss in the WS and not ashamed of it at all, full bolt ons and tune coming soon and hopefully ill see him again.

Last edited by mannyman84; 04-19-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your car is stock?? I'm assuming...
Old 04-19-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah it's stock. ^^^ I'm freaking impressed with the GM's performance
Old 04-19-2010, 07:09 PM
11 Second Club

This thread is A+ certified for awesomeness.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lots of awsomeness. Lol. I've had my 90 trans am for 7 years and have been driven ls1's for about a year. Had a 2000 trans am for 3 months and now have this WS for about 7 months. And have whooped on so many cars that I didn't think I should be beating. For an NA car sure hauls *** for what it is.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

First thing first: how many cars did he pull on you in the second run, and how long did the race last? Both started off in 1st gear, right?

Next: You talk to him again and congradulated him (again), then-- this is critical!-- ask him why he let you win the 1st race and tell him you wanted to see how fast HIS car was, not let him see how fast YOUR car was. Cuz he let you win that first one. Sorry, but those 430's are one fast bastard for a stock or even full bolton LS1 to be taking on.

So lets rehash: you thank him for running you, then ask him why he let you win the first one. DO NOT tell him or his friend that you won - he might just be setting you up for a fall, but if you act cool about it he will retract the trap he probably set for you because "he (you) seems like a cool guy". Don't be a mullet head!

Edit: seems like I came off a bit hard on you, but I'm actually trying to keep you from making a mistake my own mullet head has made in the past. Exotic car owners like to 'inspect' other cars that are trying to race them, never realizing they are leading the other driver on to thinking he beat or tied them. Annoying as hell, and commonplace among sportbike riders also. Good race and nice writeup BTW! Now mod up and own him properly!
Old 04-19-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice runs. Sounds like the guy needs some more seat time as those things rip pretty good. I took out two of them, one was close as hell from a dig to maybe 100 with me taking it by about a car and the other was from a roll but the guy didn't know how to drive; not my problem, though .

They're definitely no joke with someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

Nice job but that car should be trapping around 123+. I think you beat the driver not the car.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just making sure I have this correct...

You pulled a car and a half on a F430 with a basically stock f-body?

1 of 2 things must have happened..

1) The driver of the Ferrari must be a really shitty driver AND bought the car last week (not knowing how to drive a standard either)
2) He didnt know you were racing him.

Those will run AT LEAST mid to low 12's with a decent driver.

Something doesnt add up. Post some pics of the ferrari just to make sure it is a F430.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Trust me guys. It was a 430 convertible. The first run I jumped 1 car maybe he fell asleep but by the end of the race he was at my door with me ending 3rd gear didn't go to 4th because there was a big hump of a railroad tracks. Wins a win and I was ahead when we both let off at the same time. Once we passed the tracks we went again and he got me a little more than a car lenght. And I did hear that engine screaming and i'm sure he didn't wanna loose to an old f-body because he knows that wouldn't look right. And camaro 94. He did know we were racing, because we both were on the same lonely street pushing our cars.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It also was an auto with paddle shifters, everytime he would shift I would see the car slightly slow down for less than a second and catch up again. Plus. I drive the hell out of my M6
Old 04-19-2010, 08:38 PM
Launching!

damn, i would freakin love to catch a car like that AND have him run me. only thing i ever get around here are gt500's and SRT8's. NO exotics what-so-ever. unless you call a cayenne an exotic.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

It also was an auto with paddle shifters, everytime he would shift I would see the car slightly slow down for less than a second and catch up again. Plus. I drive the hell out of my M6
That doesn't sound right. One of the reason those cars are as fast as they are (most dyno in the 390-400rwhp/250rwtq range) is the gearing and that damn paddle shifted auto. The cars are geared really low (4.30) and shift quick. And the vert only weighs about 3350lbs.

Having said that it is also a solid 116-122 trapping car. However if the F430 was a gear too low it would probably get pulled on pretty hard. It also might have been in the wrong shifting mode (I think the damn electri-tranny-tri-disc-thingy had like 19 modes to choose from...)
Old 04-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Launching!

I had a guy in a silver one try to cut me off to pass a car in his lane one time... Didn't end well for him!

Nice runs, don't listen to these other guys, they know it all and you can't beat them...
Old 04-19-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^honestly those paddle shifted cars aren't all what people think. I've driver 3 paddle shifted cars and they all did that laggin thing after each shift. Like they loose momentum after each shift.

Question: for u guys that have ran the quarter mile with stock gearing.up to what gear did u get up to? This question is for the near stock
Old 04-19-2010, 09:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mannyman84
^^^honestly those paddle shifted cars aren't all what people think. I've driver 3 paddle shifted cars and they all did that laggin thing after each shift. Like they loose momentum after each shift.

Question: for u guys that have ran the quarter mile with stock gearing.up to what gear did u get up to? This question is for the near stock
Paddle shifting in an exotic car is galaxies away from paddle shifting in anything affordable. Real cars with real paddle shift have fractions of seconds between each gear change. i.e. not noticeable, let alone to someone racing one lane away.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Launching!

a F430 is a high 11's @ 120 in the hands of a capable driver...you didn't beat the car you beat the driver. the transmission in the Ferrari shifts faster than you can through oatmeal. guy must have been in the wrong gear or just messing around.

OP have you been to the track ever? see what this "freak" stock fbody runs?
Old 04-19-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ probably was the driver then. Well it's not my fault. Lol
Old 04-19-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 7plagues
a F430 is a high 11's @ 120 in the hands of a capable driver...you didn't beat the car you beat the driver. the transmission in the Ferrari shifts faster than you can through oatmeal. guy must have been in the wrong gear or just messing around.

OP have you been to the track ever? see what this "freak" stock fbody runs?
Haven't taken it to the 1/4 mile. Went to the 1/8th but only ran once ran a 8.7 with first gear spinning all the way to 2nd
Old 04-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Launching!

also not trying to be a dick, i am curious on how fast your car is you post some pretty nice kills