Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Supra V.s Me From A Roll!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by git_sum
I'm not all about ricers, and my trans-am is ok, but i'd much rather have somethin like a 69 camaro ss or a 79 trans-am. But some of those rice burners are pretty fast, take those Subaru STi's, those things are faster than stock camaros or trans-ams and they only have a little over 2 liters. We almost have 3 times the engine as those guys and they can still beat us, i just say that somethin like that should be given some respect.
Would you like to know how forced induction works? When you boost one atmosphere (14.7 psi), it's almost like having double the engine size. Your basically just tricking your motor into thinking it's actually twice the size that it actually is.

For i4's to be quick, they need forced induction. The whole reason for this is because they lack the cubic inches to get real power out of their motors.

I've always hated when people resort to the "Half the motor" issues, because it's totally not true. There are two basic ways to get fast in the quarter-mile: Power Adder (Boost/Nitrous), and big Cubic Inches. I realize that there are many other ways and many types and combos of both, but that's as basic as you can look at it.

A fast car is a fast car, none deserve respect or the lack thereof for how they get there. There are many fast cars in our country, each one does it in a different way.

Your stupidity and continued ignorance is almost amazing to me. I can't believe somebody can be this stupid and dense about something. What the hell do you see in the '79 Trans Am? Was there something special about that year that I'm missing? It's a second gen, emissions laws were in full blast, there was no 455 motor... is it just some random name you heard from a movie or TV show and thought was of some kind of importance? Here's an FYI- a second generation F-Body is the weakest you can buy, stock.

Please, please, please just give up. You obviously know little to nothing about cars.

By the way, a stock STI is not faster than a stock '02 LS1 F-Body with the same driver... through the quarter mile, at least.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chetyg
hey git_sum where do u live in KY im gonna be up that away next thursday and I'd be more than happy to show you and your ricer buddies a nice raping if you like? o yeah I'm only 20 so no excuses.
Where at in kentucky? And most of the cars around here arn't ricers, i mean its kentucky. Most of the cars around here are either Camaros or Mustangs. A few Z06 vettes, and a new viper. There are very few ricers at all, only the supercharged prelude, which has a lot more than just a supercharger, and a few wrx's. Oh and there's a 700hp supra in the next town down, i'd like to see you wax that thing, oh and a 9 sec. fox body mustang that'll raise a wheel as high as your head, i'm sure you could take him too huh? oh and the 8.2 sec 1/4 mile monte carlo.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't have the slightest ****** clue, i've got a friend thats all into those supras, maybe he'd know. And i guess it'd all depend on the model. I had always heard that Ls1's were better from a dig than supra's but everyone on here says they're not so i don't know. Just race him, if you lose you lose and if you dont' then more power to you.
An LS1 bolton for bolton will take a Supra through the quarter every time. It's when the Supra guys start boosting big that they kill us. Still though, I guess it's something about their chassis that just doesn't transfer weight well- Supras just aren't good in the quarter mile. I've seen many a 1200 horsepower Supra that has trouble running an 8 second quarter. Supras are totally topend cars. If I wanted to get as high a top-speed as possible, I'd use either a Supra or a European supercar (mac f1, murc, enzo, etc)

There's an old saying that goes like this:
Q- What's the difference between a 400-horsepower F-Body and a 600-horsepower Supra?
A- They both run 12s
Old 01-11-2004, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

a 9 sec. fox body mustang that'll raise a wheel as high as your head
a 9second fox body is only wheelstanding about 6 feet high? There's a big problem there... that thing should be scraping the bumper on the pavement without a wheeliebar
Old 01-11-2004, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no the 79 trans-am was the only car that was faster than a corvette for that year. Also the car in the original smokey and the bandit, those 400 sb wern't to shitty, but by no means super fast.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

no the 79 trans-am was the only car that was faster than a corvette for that year. Also the car in the original smokey and the bandit, those 400 sb wern't to shitty, but by no means super fast.
uh, weren't they like 170bhp or something? I know they weren't much more than 200, but I could be wrong, I'm not too big on the 2nd gens.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Super Mario
An LS1 bolton for bolton will take a Supra through the quarter every time. It's when the Supra guys start boosting big that they kill us. Still though, I guess it's something about their chassis that just doesn't transfer weight well- Supras just aren't good in the quarter mile. I've seen many a 1200 horsepower Supra that has trouble running an 8 second quarter. Supras are totally topend cars. If I wanted to get as high a top-speed as possible, I'd use either a Supra or a European supercar (mac f1, murc, enzo, etc)

There's an old saying that goes like this:
Q- What's the difference between a 400-horsepower F-Body and a 600-horsepower Supra?
A- They both run 12s
So it is better to race a supra from a dig? Because when i told the boy that in one of the first posts everyone started given me hell, so i suppose i was right. Oh and i'm not all that ignorent about cars, i know a thing or 2. Oh and i'm pretty sure that fox body is supposed to raise a wheel about that high, or somewhere around there without a wheelie bar. It's one of the fastest cars around here, runs on alchohol though, but the guy drives it around quite often.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

So it is better to race a supra from a dig? Because when i told the boy that in one of the first posts everyone started given me hell, so i suppose i was right. Oh and i'm not all that ignorent about cars, i know a thing or 2. Oh and i'm pretty sure that fox body is supposed to raise a wheel about that high, or somewhere around there without a wheelie bar. It's one of the fastest cars around here, runs on alchohol though, but the guy drives it around quite often.
Honestly, I'd rather race a Supra from a dig than a roll. They have crazy topend. I thought that was a pretty common belief.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dood, you gotta chill on all the highup **** though... I just read the first few pages, I can see why the guys got pissed at you. I mean, your 17 and have a stock LS1. Congrats. I'm 18 and I've got a 9psi 400RWHP blown LT1 Z28 that's just begging for an intercooler, slicks and a bigger pulley to get into 10s... it ain't nothin special. Now, somebody who's 17 and has a 10 second LS1 and did all the work to, that's special.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

uh, weren't they like 170bhp or something? I know they weren't much more than 200, but I could be wrong, I'm not too big on the 2nd gens.
I'm not real big on the 2nd gens. either but i believe they produced quite a bit more than 180bhp. I know there was a special package option for that year that had a different engine that was supposed to be even faster but i can't remember what it was. Oh and i know the 79 trans-am was quite a bit faster than the 78 and earlier models for whatever reason. The 400sb is actually a pretty good engine, my dad had one back in the day and he said it was pretty bad ***. But he later took the 400sb out and dropped in a 454bb.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Honestly, I'd rather race a Supra from a dig than a roll. They have crazy topend. I thought that was a pretty common belief.
yeah, thats what i thought. I guess i need to tell those guys who argued with me about that to kiss my ***.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dood, you gotta chill on all the highup **** though... I just read the first few pages, I can see why the guys got pissed at you. I mean, your 17 and have a stock LS1. Congrats. I'm 18 and I've got a 9psi 400RWHP blown LT1 Z28 that's just begging for an intercooler, slicks and a bigger pulley to get into 10s... it ain't nothin special. Now, somebody who's 17 and has a 10 second LS1 and did all the work to, that's special.
Yeah i agree, what i have is nothin special at all. Maybe how i wrote those comments in the first few pages made people think that i thought i was the ****. I definitly don't think that, actually i think my car is relatively slow. I just can't do nothin about it because my parents think its fast enough for me and won't let me mod it, maybe when summer roles around and i can work more i can talk them into it though. I'm wanting a cam, headers, and a full intake. I figure that'll get me into the 11's somewhere if it's tuned right and the cam is big enough.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What i ment to say there was that the 79 trans-am was the only car that GM ever produced that was faster than the corvette for that particular year. The corvette has always been the fastest car in the GM line up, i think that makes the 79 trans-am pretty special.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

What i ment to say there was that the 79 trans-am was the only car that GM ever produced that was faster than the corvette for that particular year. The corvette has always been the fastest car in the GM line up, i think that makes the 79 trans-am pretty special.
What you should have done was consolidate the past 4 posts into one so we don't have to read 4 seperate GOSH DARNED (EDITED BY UNIT) posts...

such a

Last edited by unit213; 01-12-2004 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:17 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

.......Oh and there's a 700hp supra in the next town down, i'd like to see you wax that thing, oh and a 9 sec. fox body mustang that'll raise a wheel as high as your head, i'm sure you could take him too huh? oh and the 8.2 sec 1/4 mile monte carlo.
Idiot ...

I'm not real big on the 2nd gens. either but i believe they produced quite a bit more than 180bhp. I know there was a special package option for that year that had a different engine that was supposed to be even faster but i can't remember what it was. Oh and i know the 79 trans-am was quite a bit faster than the 78 and earlier models for whatever reason. The 400sb is actually a pretty good engine, my dad had one back in the day and he said it was pretty bad ***. But he later took the 400sb out and dropped in a 454bb.
That's the car you want to get, but you don't even know what size engine or what hp it comes with? Do you know ANYTHING about the car at all????

Heres some info on your dream car for ya .... the 79 ta came with a carb'd 403ci L80, pushing out a bone shuddering 185 hp .... possibly one of the slowest TA's ever produced as camaro said (although it has some close competition with some of the other second gens for slowest ta ever). I'm thinking if you knew ANYTHING about F-bods at all, that would be one of the last years you would pick.

As for it being faster than a vette, lets have a look. There were 2 motor options for the vette that year (which happened to be lighter than the TA) ... the L48 engine was 195 hp and the L82 was 225hp. They also came standard with a 3.55:1 gear ratio, which means they outpowered, weighed less, and were better geared than the F-bods ..... yah, you're right they were probably slower, good call buddy.

Also FWIW, on this board we try to actually contribute useful information ... so far the only thing you have contributed to this thread, if not the entire board has been this "answer" to his question....

I don't have the slightest ****** clue, i've got a friend thats all into those supras, maybe he'd know. .....
Wow, how inspirational. Spoken like a true moron ... I'm glad the rest of the people on the forum don't answer **** like you do otherwise we'd go into the "internal" forum and see people answering head/cam questions with "I Have no ****** clue dude, whatever you get more power to ya!"

Btw, EVERYONE knows it is better to race a supra from a dig (stock/stock), HOWEVER, if you read the damn question, he is asking about from a ROLL, which means NOT A DIG. ALSO, camaro has mentioned at least 3 times he would take it from a dig instead ... you saying that (after you actually questioned it a few times) is not the idea of the century.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:19 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

yeah, thats what i thought. I guess i need to tell those guys who argued with me about that to kiss my ***.
I really HOPE you are kidding.

Ur pathetic dude, please go away before you make yourself look stupider then we all believe you are already. You know absolutely NOTHING about cars and it shows.

Btw, any specs of that cam you are going to get when your parents let you?
Old 01-12-2004, 07:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

ohh and git_sum, i hate when people are like, this car is fast, and so is this one. Here in Texas, we have multiple daily driven 900 to 1000 + rwhp cars. they would definately crack any cars *** that you mentioned. Everyone seems to know someone faster. Here in houston, is the fastest Quarter mile track you can get in the states. We have put down the best times because of our location at 0 sea level. trust me, i could walk down my street, and find TWO, yes TWO cars that will outrun that 9 sec foxbody, or at least give it a run for its money. Not to mention, the god damn shop teacher at my school has a car that can outrun the Monte Carlo!!! HHAAHAHAHA
Old 01-12-2004, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigBronco
hmmmm, what size turbos are going on the viper????
****, sorry i didn't get back to answer your question...this thread has really taken off since I last visited.

I am not totally sure on the exact size (they are in the mid 60's though)....I will get the exact specs from Jason this week.

Man, I am lovin this thread.....seems to have provided a lotta people some enjoyment at the expense of one.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Mr. B3, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I have a 79 Z28 and although I love it to death if I had to choose between the 02' and 79 I know which one I would choose. I have driven the 79 Tranny and there is very little difference, even with the Tranny's 50 extra cubes. Here is a synopsis of some of my 79 races:

LT1 Camaros and Fbirds = 79 raped
LS1 Camaros and Fbirds = further raping
V6 4th gen FBodies = slight leads for the 79 or neck and neck with few V6 mods
Ram Hemi = Neck and Neck

So as one can see the 79 model is one fast mother, gee I would much rather have that than a LS1.

As for FBodies that came close to the Vette the 67-69 Z28 cost the exact same price as a Vette, $3,000.00. Although they were smoking fast for their time a new LS1 would whip them.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

you didnt answer my question. Where do u live in KY? If you are wanting to play the who you know game I can bring a car to race all those 8 second cars thats no problem. Me and my brother are gonna be up that way this week. I'm coming to get a tune done on my car but if you got some guys that have some cash and wanna race some 8 second cars my brother said hes more than happy to come too.