Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

02 ta vs 96 mystic cobra

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F8L BYT
Oh it would be on motor, I wouldnt spray.
I wish you were in Iowa and I had my drag radials. I think we would be a pretty damn fun matchup. With a slight edge in top-end power going to you
Old 05-02-2010, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WSsick
hopefully the guy with the 11 sec n/a cobra will pop in.
Ya right. A n/a cobra is like a unicorn...they don't exist.

3.73's is a good sign that the cobra owner has a vagina. Good kill.

-Mark
Old 05-03-2010, 08:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by stgeelhorse92
Here it is since my last thread got closed. I met Mr. Mustang at a friends house and boy did his car sound mean. We started talking and then got to business. We rolled out on to the strip and ran from like 30 to 70 something and i pulled pretty hard on him. Then we went down to where everyone runs at. He warmed his drag radials up and I just spun my tires over to clean them up alittle bit. When we went it wasnt even a race. It was pathetic, a NA Cobra is a turd. I pulled bus lengths on his car. I raced this waste of gas 2 times with the same results. He has drag radials, 373 gear, headers and full exhaust and a dyno tune from I think he said Livernois. I know the couple of mustang owners here are gunna say he cant drive but that man can row gears. He has some pretty fast cars. My mods are a slp cat back, slp lid and a bs smooth bellow, a line lock that i have never used, a rebuilt trans with good stuff inside. Thats about it.
i could see this happening.

the guy should have put 4:10's in his car, minimum. the cobras engine isn't as stout as an ls1 but with the right setup they can rip out of the hole pretty hard.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
Ya right. A n/a cobra is like a unicorn...they don't exist.
i just could not remember your s/n. thanks for popping in

3.73's is a good sign that the cobra owner has a vagina. Good kill.

-Mark
i have 3.73s
Old 05-03-2010, 11:13 AM
11 Second Club

i just could not remember your s/n. thanks for popping in

i have 3.73s
I meant to say 3.73's for a n/a cobra equals a mangina.

-Mark
Old 05-03-2010, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's quite possible the Cobra owner has plans to go FI later and doesn't want a steeper gear. Or, he bought it that way and the previous owner was a douche.

*shrug*
Old 05-03-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good kill OP, I have no bone to pick in the Ford vs Chevy battle I have owned both and like both cars, I agree though with a previous poster that Cobra still needs more gear 4.10's minimum IMHO. I explained in my last thread but I had a full bolt on Cobra minus headers, with a good suspension and sticky tires and drove the **** out of it to near mid 12's. It was an 11 second car on spray.

So I guess my point is that you can't make a blanket statement about 96-98 Cobra's being turds....if you put bus lengths on this car the dude either A. wasn't as good of a driver as you say or B. doesn't know how to launch the damn thing.

I usually didn't roll with LS1's I wanted to beat in my old Cobra because I am not a fool lol, but from a dig I put a surprised look on alot of faces.

Good kill..
Old 05-03-2010, 04:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ponygt65
It's quite possible the Cobra owner has plans to go FI later and doesn't want a steeper gear. Or, he bought it that way and the previous owner was a douche.

*shrug*
When my novi goes on..... my 4.56's will stay.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I ran a 96-98 Cobra not too long after I bought my car and he had pretty much all the bolt-ons minus headers. He was running 4.30s. My car was lid and cutout and trapped 109 at the time while his car trapped 106ish if I remember correctly. Don't let the numbers fool you though. We hit it from 15-20 and ran them til just after I shifted to fourth, so a little over 100mph. We were dead even with him pulling a fender on me through his first and second. At the top of third I was coming back around him and ended the race about half a car ahead. It was crazy close, so those cars can definitely run when setup correctly.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:28 PM
10 Second Club

4.30's and up really wake the '96-'98 and '99-'01 Cobra's up. My buddy had a stock motored with longtubes and full exhaust with 4.30's and he was running mid 12's on motor and mid 11's on a 100 shot. Like Bitemark said when he gets the sand out of his **** to add some other gears and if he rows the way you claim he can it will get more interesting for you. Nice runs!

BTW- F8L BYT those Chrome Yellow ones are so nice! That is why I got a SY '04!
Old 05-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by F8L BYT
Oh it would be on motor, I wouldnt spray. I just cant stand nut swingers sometimes. I mean being brand oriented like chevy or ford is completely fine but being cocky like he is and not knowing how his competition should actually run is what gets annoying.

That race should have been close but again it is the street and some people buy performance cars and just dont know how to drive them so anything is possible. Just saying the outcome is not normal
It's too bad you are 3 hours and 45 minutes away from me cause if you was a little closer I would drag your *** so bad your nitrous bottles would be in the passenger seat!
Old 05-03-2010, 05:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

off topic a little----

my buddies 96 cobra has full custom exhaust with stock manifolds, cold air, superchips tuner (blah) and 4:10's with drag radials. yet it needs more oomph. how much hp are a good set of long tubes good for?
Old 05-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Banned

Will that be to much gear?
Old 05-03-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by big hammer
off topic a little----

my buddies 96 cobra has full custom exhaust with stock manifolds, cold air, superchips tuner (blah) and 4:10's with drag radials. yet it needs more oomph. how much hp are a good set of long tubes good for?
In my experience/opinion not a whole lot, they are a BITCH to install, with most LT's you have to take the header loose to clear the trans when you take it out, and if you pay to have them installed prepare to pay $750-$1000 or so. The stock manifolds on a 4V Cobra are pretty damn efficient, most LT installs I have seen add 5-10 rwhp on average, shorties and mids aren't even worth the trouble...they would be one of the last bolt ons to do if you are looking to get every last bit of hp out of the car, me personally I just did a 150 shot
Old 05-03-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02 wife
Will that be to much gear?
Probably not on a 28" tall tire, I trapped 120ish on spray and still had plenty of room left with my 4.30s. You have quite a bit to play with when the stock limiter is 7200 rpms not to mention if you bump it up to say 7500 ish.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, but you've been known to push the envelope a lil.

Can't wait to hear about that bad boy when you do man!
Old 05-03-2010, 06:38 PM
12 Second Club

It's too bad you are 3 hours and 45 minutes away from me cause if you was a little closer I would drag your *** so bad your nitrous bottles would be in the passenger seat!
why are you such a **** talker? i mean seriously, only idiots agree with your outlandishly ignorant statements. you have an excuse for anything that beats you and your weak setup that should be going faster (yes, i know you need to work on your 60' s, so quit bitching and go do it). why dont you talk **** to someone with slightly more power than you, or do you feel good picking on cars you know are slower than you.

......or be a ******* man and race Unit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<---i know how you love !s.

PS-i never got to add in the thread where you said no LT1 could beat you unless it was trailered. my buddys friend has a n/a 355 LT1 on a 10 bolt that could drive to the track, kick your sorry ***, and drive home again. [Jay, Unit, any other mods/admins: sorry if i went to far, but my disdain for this moron grows with each ignorant post he makes]
Old 05-03-2010, 06:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ponygt65
What were his shift points?

If you believe they are weak and you know he can row through the gears, then you should know he is aware of the best shift points...and for you to know he is a badass driver, then you should know where he shifted.

see where I'm goin' wiht this?
dont know how i miss this post the first time, but definitely the best post in here.

I meant to say 3.73's for a n/a cobra equals a mangina.

-Mark
haha i figured thats what you meant. my wallet did the gear buying, since it thought MPG would kill me (i drive highways alot).

for you, stopsign, pony, or any ford boy- what gear would you suggest for my friend 95 gt (shorties, H pipe)??
Old 05-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
I wish you were in Iowa and I had my drag radials. I think we would be a pretty damn fun matchup. With a slight edge in top-end power going to you
Yeah I think so too.. It sounds like you have a strong running car and looks pretty good also

Originally Posted by Packy
BTW- F8L BYT those Chrome Yellow ones are so nice! That is why I got a SY '04!
Thanks man! I wasnt a huge fan at first but it definitely grew on me... You have one sexy car as well

Do you ever stop? Like I said previously, quit running your mouth until you are man enough to meet me at a track somewhere and run your car. Us41 is in between... You know I'm willing to meet... Until then STFU noob and

for you, stopsign, pony, or any ford boy- what gear would you suggest for my friend 95 gt (shorties, H pipe)??
I would go only go with 3.73 or 4.10 at the most
Old 05-03-2010, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

A friend of mine has a 96 Cobra with around 390rwhp N/A and it's around 2900lbs race weight. So to say that sn95 cobras are turds is just a sign of utter retardation. If any of you mustang guys are on svtp.com you've probably seen him around.