Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

BMW M6 Convertible vs. C6 Z51 6-speed Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 07:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, it took almost 20 posts for someone to mention the fact that the BMW has multiple power modes and no one knows what mode he was running in. I've also met/seen too many drivers in expensive and exotic sports cars that have no idea how to drive the thing, what gear selection to make, how far to wind it out, etc, so all we can really say is it went down how it went down.

Nice kill, OP. Welcome to the site.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blazinws6kush
M button must have not been on
Trust me...this guy did not look like a rookie. I dont know why a few people are questioning the results. Z51 C6 6-speeds (LS2 or 3) with the 3.42 rear are very strong and tough competitors from a roll due to optimized gears 1,2,3. And my Vette is running strong. If you saw how bad I destroyed my friends AP2 S2K w/ i/e from a roll, maybe you would be a believer.

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'll have a BBK intake, Corsa Extreme exhaust, and tune hopefully done by next week. Can't wait.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by callmedoc
I dont know why a few people are questioning the results.
Did you watch the video I posted in my reply?
Old 05-11-2010, 08:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MONG00SE
Did you watch the video I posted in my reply?
Maybe you should watch a bit closer. The Vette is pulling and then looks to miss 3rd gear. I promise the Vette would not be pulling like that at the begining of the vid and then suddenly fall back for no reason. Even worse, that Vette even does not look to be a Z51.

I've run quicker my one short trip to the track than ANY M6 Vert' I've seen.

Last edited by callmedoc; 05-11-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:33 AM
Teching In

Maybe you should watch a bit closer. The Vette is pulling and then looks to miss 3rd gear.
If that were the case, the vid would've said so and another run would've been setup (these individuals have PLENTY of races... check them out on youtube).

Consider yourself lucky on this win

M6/M5s are no good from a dig, they weigh too much. This why you generally see them racing from a roll...

And I thought Z51 was a handling package... just assuming though...
Old 05-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Teching In

If that were the case, the vid would've said so and another run would've been setup (these individuals have PLENTY of races... check them out on youtube).

Consider yourself lucky on this win

M6/M5s are no good from a dig, they weigh too much. This why you generally see them racing from a roll...

And I thought Z51 was a handling package... just assuming though...

Z51 C6's (not C5's) have different rear end ratios and closer 6-speed ratios in gears 1,2,3,5. They are certainly quicker in roll races than the non-Z51 counterparts.

I dont consider myself lucky. I consider myself a good driver with a quicker car than the obese M6 Vert. I really didnt know they were THAT heavy. To beat a car that is >1000 lbs lighter, you need MORE than the 100 flywheel hp that the M6 has. Sorry.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:54 AM
Teching In

Z51 C6's (not C5's) have different rear end ratios and closer 6-speed ratios in gears 1,2,3,5. They are certainly quicker in roll races than the non-Z51 counterparts.

I dont consider myself lucky. I consider myself a good driver with a quicker car than the obese M6 Vert. I really didnt know they were THAT heavy. To beat a car that is >1000 lbs lighter, you need MORE than the 100 flywheel hp that the M6 has. Sorry.
No need to apologize, you didn't beat me...

Last bit i'll say about this, 0-200kmph(124ish mph) for Z51 is around mid 14s where as it is around mid 13s for the M6 (both coupes)... To put 3 cars on one, from a roll, by 130... I dunno
Old 05-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Teching In

I'm more a "real world" number person than a magazine racer, but where did you get your numbers?
Old 05-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Teching In

I did a google search.

(BMW M6 0 - 200 kmph, same for z51)

Whatever happened, happened. I believe your story 100%, I'm just trying to point out that the results seem to be pretty unlikely.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Teching In

I dont get what is so unlikely. In the "real world" NO M6 Vert has ran my numbers. Now the coupe weighs 300 lbs or so less, so it probably would be a good/drivers race with a C6 Z51 6-speed. End of story.

If you were in the NJ area, I would GLADLY get a run on video for LS1tech.

Ironically, I posted this on the bimmerforums and the results "sounded right."
Old 05-11-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

m6's arent that quick. crap load of money as well could almost buy a zr1 for the price
Old 05-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Teching In

I'm not debating a dig race (regarding your numbers comment)... I'm debating how often your personal outcome would occur, given the same general circumstances (which specify a roll race)... And, in my opinion, i'm saying that I wouldn't expect your outcome to be the normal one.

Ironically you find comfort in the opinions of others (bimmerforums) even though you're only interested in "real world"

Since we're bringing other forums into this, and since that matters to you, m5board has a similar post about an m6 coupe pulling a couple cars on an ls3 vette from a roll.

Also, the numbers I specified is why I consider it unlikely, that and seeing the result of stock m6s race against various other cars from a roll.

In post #22 you asked why people are questioning the outcome... I'm simply answering your question.

One more thing, will you not type "gladly" in all caps in any future street racing propositions... it's far too intimidating...
Old 05-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Teching In

Im not trying to intimidate you, just typing how I feel. You're the one who seems upset that the mighty M6 lost. The fact is, the M6 Vert' is clearly obese and is underpowered given the weight discrepency between it and a C6 vert'. That post on the M5board is the most generalized joke of a post i've seen. Seems like something a 5 year old would post.

I just find it ironic that other bimmer fanatics who clearly would be biased toward an M6 state my results are expected. I dont need "comfort in the opinions of others." Just ironic that's all buddy.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Teching In

You stated their opinion as helpful evidence for your side of the debate... not sure why that would even matter to someone who is only interested in "real world"

I couldn't care less that the M6 lost... I had plenty of options before I purchased my M6 and straight line performance wasn't what sold me on the car.

Not sure how it's clear the m6 is underpowered... It may be clear to you, and your arbitrary set of criteria which deems something underpowered, but it is not clear in general.

Your response to the m5board post is generalized in itself... Seems like the reaction a 5 year old would have... pal

Forget it... have fun with your chevy, I'll have fun with my bmw... end of story
Old 05-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Forget it... have fun with your chevy, I'll have fun with my bmw... end of story
Wow. I'm speechless. I knew you were a pretentious pr*ck and you just showed everyone.

I for one always wanted a Vette ("a chevy") since I was a teen and got one after finishing med school. I could have got something more expensive (and will add a Ferrari or Lambo to my driveway soon). However, it’s not for a pretentious nameplate, but rather for the driving experience. For some (no names here) it's all about a nameplate. I have zero respect for (and wont waste my time with) people like that.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Wow. I'm speechless. I knew you were a pretentious pr*ck and you just showed everyone.

I for one always wanted a Vette ("a chevy") since I was a teen and got one after finishing med school. I could have got something more expensive (and will add a Ferrari or Lambo to my driveway soon). However, it’s not for a pretentious nameplate, but rather for the driving experience. For some (no names here) it's all about a nameplate. I have zero respect for (and wont waste my time with) people like that.
That's not how I meant that, but thanks for drawing conclusions out of thin air and calling names... speaks well for your character.

I bought the car because I enjoyed driving it... I don't buy a car because of a certain name, I also don't stay away from purchasing cars because of a certain name.

What i spend my money on comes down to my own preferences and I couldn't care less about how other people react.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:07 AM
***Repost Police***

Trust me...this guy did not look like a rookie. I dont know why a few people are questioning the results. Z51 C6 6-speeds (LS2 or 3) with the 3.42 rear are very strong and tough competitors from a roll due to optimized gears 1,2,3. And my Vette is running strong. If you saw how bad I destroyed my friends AP2 S2K w/ i/e from a roll, maybe you would be a believer.

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'll have a BBK intake, Corsa Extreme exhaust, and tune hopefully done by next week. Can't wait.
Intake/exhaust S2000 vs. a C6 Vette is no gauge to tell how quick your car is... it's a slaughter.
Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
m6's arent that quick. crap load of money as well could almost buy a zr1 for the price
Completely different cars.

He's had a Chevy too
Old 05-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beamer guys will go to all ends of the earth to defend the BMW nameplate, lol. Reminds of a debate me and some Beemer guys had a couple months ago when a friends stock '09CTS-V slaughtered an '08 M5 from a roll back to back runs. My head still hurts from that one.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:54 AM
***Repost Police***

Define "slaughter?"
Old 05-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Teching In

My posts were answering op's question about why some people were doubting his story.... that is all.