Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Mustang and Trans Am Go down!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mustang and Trans Am Go down!

MMOB driving down the highway I noticed a 99-04 Mustang pull up behind me. I wasn't too excited because these cars aren't usually that quick. He pulled up along side of me and we had open highway in front of us. I blipped it a couple times to see if I could get him to bite. At first he wouldn't even look over, my car is kinda quiet. Then he noticed me.

He took off, and I followed. Much to my suprise I wasn't really pulling on him like I thought I was going to... From 60-110 I put maybe a half car on him. We ran again with the same results. Above 110 I pulled better, but not much still. I realllllllllly wanna know what he had done. I figured it was an auto Mach-1 but I didn't see any Mach-1 badges. Just GT badges. Although it did have the lip and rear insert. It very well may have been an auto Mach-1 in disguise, it was modded too. Sounded like intake/catback at the very least.

Coming home from my destination I caught a light with a black trans am. Not sure on the year, but judging from the wheels i'd say 98 or 99. Definately and LS1, no question on that. Car was a 6 speed. He didn't go from a stop, decided to rip it by me after I gave up trying do go from 20-30mph.

Finally he gave in, maybe realizing I wasn't crazy. He started in 3rd gear from ~50. I pulled right away, he must have been pissed. Because when I slowed down he came flying back up next to me, slammed the brakes to even out the speed and downshifted to 2nd.

It was on, 3 beeps and we took off. We held even through 2nd, when he shifted to 3rd I started to pull. By ~100 I had him by almost a car from 50mph. I let off and he went ripping by holding his middle finger out the window...

Cliff notes: 2 close races, alleged auto mach-1 with intake/catback and stock trans am go down!
Old 05-20-2010, 09:56 PM
Teching In

A lot of GT owners put the mach 1 chin spoiler on. He was probably just a bolt on GT.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Kerns
A lot of GT owners put the mach 1 chin spoiler on. He was probably just a bolt on GT.
How much power do bolt on GT's make through an auto?
Old 05-20-2010, 10:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ju1ce
MMOB driving down the highway I noticed a 99-04 Mustang pull up behind me. I wasn't too excited because these cars aren't usually that quick. He pulled up along side of me and we had open highway in front of us. I blipped it a couple times to see if I could get him to bite. At first he wouldn't even look over, my car is kinda quiet. Then he noticed me.

He took off, and I followed. Much to my suprise I wasn't really pulling on him like I thought I was going to... From 60-110 I put maybe a half car on him. We ran again with the same results. Above 110 I pulled better, but not much still. I realllllllllly wanna know what he had done. I figured it was an auto Mach-1 but I didn't see any Mach-1 badges. Just GT badges. Although it did have the lip and rear insert. It very well may have been an auto Mach-1 in disguise, it was modded too. Sounded like intake/catback at the very least.

Coming home from my destination I caught a light with a black trans am. Not sure on the year, but judging from the wheels i'd say 98 or 99. Definately and LS1, no question on that. Car was a 6 speed. He didn't go from a stop, decided to rip it by me after I gave up trying do go from 20-30mph.

Finally he gave in, maybe realizing I wasn't crazy. He started in 3rd gear from ~50. I pulled right away, he must have been pissed. Because when I slowed down he came flying back up next to me, slammed the brakes to even out the speed and downshifted to 2nd.

It was on, 3 beeps and we took off. We held even through 2nd, when he shifted to 3rd I started to pull. By ~100 I had him by almost a car from 50mph. I let off and he went ripping by holding his middle finger out the window...

Cliff notes: 2 close races, alleged auto mach-1 with intake/catback and stock trans am go down!
You posted a vid of you putting a couple lengths on a cammed CTS-V, and staying right next to a C6 Z51... But you only pulled "almost a car" on a stock Trans AM, and a half a car on a bolt on Mustang GT/Mach 1? (the jury is still out on what the mustang really was)

Im a little confused... not trying to argue, just seems a bit off.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Teching In

How much power do bolt on GT's make through an auto?
Are you positive it was an auto? Full-bolt on 99-04 GT's put down around 260-270RWHP. If he was auto then he probably had 4.10 gears which would have helped along with his car only weighing about 3300lbs.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Are you positive it was an auto? Full-bolt on 99-04 GT's put down around 260-270RWHP. If he was auto then he probably had 4.10 gears which would have helped along with his car only weighing about 3300lbs.
It was 100% an auto. Sounded like it revved pretty high too. He was in 2nd gear all the way to 100mph.

If bolt on GT's only make 260-270whp with FULL bolt ons then this car was definitely an intake/exhaust auto mach-1.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:20 PM

Good kills, but it's very tough to speculate mods on cars without stopping to talk to the owners. They make quiet centri blowers these days and a stockish GT with a blower and an auto wouldn't make crazy power and might run like you saw. Small shot on a stockish car might be similar.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

...and out of the two people you raced, the TA owner was the toolbag who flipped you off...

I am just kidding of course there are sore losers and classy losers on the road regardless of the car.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Good kills, but it's very tough to speculate mods on cars without stopping to talk to the owners. They make quiet centri blowers these days and a stockish GT with a blower and an auto wouldn't make crazy power and might run like you saw. Small shot on a stockish car might be similar.
Eh... Idk about a blower or a shot. My car isn't that quick
Old 05-20-2010, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by snake95
...and out of the two people you raced, the TA owner was the toolbag who flipped you off...

I am just kidding of course there are sore losers and classy losers on the road regardless of the car.
Yeah no **** lol, the guy in the Mustang was actually cool enough to give me a thumbs up. I'm sure he was completely lost as to wtf just happened, but thumbs up none-the-less.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:24 PM
Teching In

It was 100% an auto. Sounded like it revved pretty high too. He was in 2nd gear all the way to 100mph.

If bolt on GT's only make 260-270whp with FULL bolt ons then this car was definitely an intake/exhaust auto mach-1.
That was 3rd gear for him, not 2nd. I bet he had 4.10's, very possible he also had cams as well. No Mach1 owner would ever put GT badges on their car. You can pretty much dismiss the idea that it was a Mach1.

Edit: What is done to your car? LS1 or LS2?
Old 05-20-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice kills, man. Too bad you couldn't ask the Mustang owner about the car. Sucks about the TA owner flipping you off but some people are just sore losers. Ah well.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:31 PM

Eh... Idk about a blower or a shot. My car isn't that quick
A GT with minor bolt-ons and a 100 shot or stock with a blower and an auto would make less power than your car.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Teching In

That was 3rd gear for him, not 2nd. I bet he had 4.10's, very possible he also had cams as well. No Mach1 owner would ever put GT badges on their car. You can pretty much dismiss the idea that it was a Mach1.

Edit: What is done to your car? LS1 or LS2?
It's an L67, I'm convinced it was an auto Mach-1 with intake/exhaust/gears.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Nice kills, man. Too bad you couldn't ask the Mustang owner about the car. Sucks about the TA owner flipping you off but some people are just sore losers. Ah well.
W3rd.

I'll be honest, when I was 16 and 17 I'd be pissed and a dick about losing, but now I realize if you lose, it doesn't mean the other guy is an arrogant *******, he just happened to be a better driver/more mods/etc. Now I realize that there are too few people in the hobby to hate on anyone who doesn't bring it on himself.

and LOL about the Mustang owner now knowing what the hell just happened.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Teching In

I'm telling you. Its not. If it had GT badges there is no way it was a Mach 1. People badge up (usually to cobra badges), not down. You would have noticed the shaker hood. He could have have a V2 supercharger non intercooled. Those make around 350RWHP.

Originally Posted by snake95
and LOL about the Mustang owner now knowing what the hell just happened.
Its not that I know what happened. Its just if it had GT badges it was a GT not a Mach 1. What is done to his car I have no clue on, just a guess at this point. But I can pretty much guarantee that it was not a Mach 1.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Teching In

No I was saying the driver of the Mustang didn't know wtf just happened after I started pulling. But he gave thumbs up anyway. He had to have known he makes good power (had to have to keep up with me) and figured he probably woulda just smoked me. He didn't smoke me though lol
Old 05-20-2010, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Just a question, how would you know if he was in second all way to 100, and someone correct me if im wrong but if it was an auto mach they dont rev nearly as high as a m5 mach.

Good kill
Old 05-20-2010, 11:15 PM
Teching In

He shifted into the next gear right around 105mph. So whatever gearing it takes to do that is what gear he was in. He was auto, I'm sure of that.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:17 PM
Teching In

ah gotcha