Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

99 H/C/I Formula M6 vs suzuki sv1000

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 99 H/C/I Formula M6 vs suzuki sv1000

Well this is my first race against a bike.

I was coming home friday night at about 3 am from my girls house, taking the streets. The road is pretty wide, pretty much empty with very limited traffic. I maintained a speed of about 50 in a 35 trying to get home in a hurry. As i was driving i catch up to an orange sv1000 and gave him a rev to see if he bites. He looks over and nods, and it just so happened that we lined up at a red light.

At this point i see him being tempted to take off already, letting go of his clutch and engaging that "friction point". Waiting at a red light i see nothing but no traffic up front so i am ready.

So light turns green, and i hook pretty descent with minimal wheel spin. He took off rather quick...... and away we go.

As i shift from 1st to 2nd im already stuggling for traction with him right beside me. At about 75 i shift to 3rd with him about half a car on me already. At the top of 3rd at about 90ish he already had a car on me and was creeping away. Right as i shift to 4th i came to my senses and let off (we were in a city after all and u never know who might pull out in front of me even if its 3 am) So i let off, with him in his full powerband dissapearing into the night

Again, by the end of 3rd he had about a car on me, and im sure if i continued he would have gained more... he wasnt too good of a rider because of some pauses between his shifts, he could have done a bit better....

So i guess that was my death.

I know sv1000 is a vtwin sport bike and about as quick as a modern 600cc ss bike. The race outcome against a 1000cc SS bike would leave me busses behind.

About the 99 formula. Its my brothers car which i drive most of the time. Im not too sure on the specific mods but it has a mild mild set up with 224 cam, with a set of heads, (H/C package from texas speed) Has LT headers, ORY, Open cutout, Hooker exhaust, Ls6 intake, PTB, tune, 6 speed. 6 months ago it put down 408 rwhp 370 rwtq on dynojet (with closed cutout) at RPM motors. Car moves pretty descent for what it is.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Race! Key was hanging with him in the first two gears--- not easy to do!

SV1000's have around the same rwhp as a 600, with more torque and more weight. Most mags got them running around 11 flat at 124mph. Respectable run all things considered! Though a newer supersport 600 would kill any year SV1000S.

Freeze video in very beginning to see the SV1000S rwhp. That one was carb kitted, full exhaust, ignition advanced and geared. Knock off at least 10rwhp compared to stock.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXS_X1zE0Js
Old 05-24-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those are some descent numbers for a carbed bike, I wonder how I would do against a sv1000 in my 09 zx6r
Old 05-25-2010, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice race. Sounds like a pretty good run and fairly accurate if they do trap in the mid 120's with a good rider. I would imagine you trap in the high 11X to low 12X range (my car made 408/380 SAE on a dynojet and would trap right in there depending on the track and weather), so with a mediocre rider, it sounds dead on.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 05-25-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
Well this is my first race against a bike.

I was coming home friday night at about 3 am from my girls house, taking the streets. The road is pretty wide, pretty much empty with very limited traffic. I maintained a speed of about 50 in a 35 trying to get home in a hurry. As i was driving i catch up to an orange sv1000 and gave him a rev to see if he bites. He looks over and nods, and it just so happened that we lined up at a red light.

At this point i see him being tempted to take off already, letting go of his clutch and engaging that "friction point". Waiting at a red light i see nothing but no traffic up front so i am ready.

So light turns green, and i hook pretty descent with minimal wheel spin. He took off rather quick...... and away we go.

As i shift from 1st to 2nd im already stuggling for traction with him right beside me. At about 75 i shift to 3rd with him about half a car on me already. At the top of 3rd at about 90ish he already had a car on me and was creeping away. Right as i shift to 4th i came to my senses and let off (we were in a city after all and u never know who might pull out in front of me even if its 3 am) So i let off, with him in his full powerband dissapearing into the night

Again, by the end of 3rd he had about a car on me, and im sure if i continued he would have gained more... he wasnt too good of a rider because of some pauses between his shifts, he could have done a bit better....

So i guess that was my death.

I know sv1000 is a vtwin sport bike and about as quick as a modern 600cc ss bike. The race outcome against a 1000cc SS bike would leave me busses behind.

About the 99 formula. Its my brothers car which i drive most of the time. Im not too sure on the specific mods but it has a mild mild set up with 224 cam, with a set of heads, (H/C package from texas speed) Has LT headers, ORY, Open cutout, Hooker exhaust, Ls6 intake, PTB, tune, 6 speed. 6 months ago it put down 408 rwhp 370 rwtq on dynojet (with closed cutout) at RPM motors. Car moves pretty descent for what it is.
Nice race, nice job hanging on with those mild mods
Originally Posted by black_phoenix
Those are some descent numbers for a carbed bike, I wonder how I would do against a sv1000 in my 09 zx6r
You would eat one for breakfast if you know how to ride .
Old 05-25-2010, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Puck
Nice race, nice job hanging on with those mild mods

You would eat one for breakfast if you know how to ride .

Yea, those are very mild mods, feels stock too

Btw, on the zx6r i usually launch at about 10K rpm with riding the clutch a tad so i wont get the front wheel up. This way it takes off just a bit slower than my previous vmax, but still hauls.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Nice race. Sounds like a pretty good run and fairly accurate if they do trap in the mid 120's with a good rider. I would imagine you trap in the high 11X to low 12X range (my car made 408/380 SAE on a dynojet and would trap right in there depending on the track and weather), so with a mediocre rider, it sounds dead on.
moments like that really made me wish i was on the freeway with him , would have tried until 150 or so
Old 05-25-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An SV1000 would kill a 600cc SS bike. I outrun 600's on my sv650S all the time at the track. I ran a 7.5 with it popping up on me out the hole.

Anyways good run.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bjamick
An SV1000 would kill a 600cc SS bike. I outrun 600's on my sv650S all the time at the track. I ran a 7.5 with it popping up on me out the hole.

Anyways good run.
You are completely clueless, arent you? I"ve ridden, rode with, raced against, and been around dozens of SV650's, and a few SV1000S models: The only place a SV650 or 1000 has a chance against a 600cc supersport (supersport equals the top-of-the-line 600, not that crappy midrange bike suzi and yami sell in addition to there GSXR600 and R6) is on the road course. the SV's do well simply because they are easy to learn to ride, and very flickable. Don't mistake "easy to ride hard" with faster!

And considering that the average 600 supersport has more power than a SV1000, literally twice the power of a SV650, and is lighter than both I find your argument very hard to swallow.

SV650's run mid 12's: if they are lucky. Take your coolaid somewhere else: or just man up and buy a real bike.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
You are completely clueless, arent you? I"ve ridden, rode with, raced against, and been around dozens of SV650's, and a few SV1000S models: The only place a SV650 or 1000 has a chance against a 600cc supersport (supersport equals the top-of-the-line 600, not that crappy midrange bike suzi and yami sell in addition to there GSXR600 and R6) is on the road course. the SV's do well simply because they are easy to learn to ride, and very flickable. Don't mistake "easy to ride hard" with faster!

And considering that the average 600 supersport has more power than a SV1000, literally twice the power of a SV650, and is lighter than both I find your argument very hard to swallow.

SV650's run mid 12's: if they are lucky. Take your coolaid somewhere else: or just man up and buy a real bike.
Well said
Old 05-26-2010, 05:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Hmm well I go by personal experiences actually seeing as I've ridden them all, and raced them all. Seeing as I started out on dirtbikes, and moved to my first street bike the SV650S. So I did the free mods went to the track and busted 600's asses all day long in the 1/8, in the 1/4 they would pull around. Sad thing is I did make less power, I just out rode their asses. Just like I would out ride you to.

So guess I need to buy a real bike huh? My 08 FZ1 doesn't count or something, why don't you bring something that can touch it, bc the busa's and zx-14's sure can't seem to unless the are slammed and stretched with exhaust.

Anyways, put me on an SV1000S and I will bust that cars *** all day long while playing with him.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:16 AM
Staging Lane

Did you just say that your FZ1 (which I owned one for a year then sold it too my friend) would beat my zx14? I guess your monster FZ1 pulls 9.8 @ 146mph in the 1/4 then? Thats what mine does with my 340lb, 6'6" *** on it and no stretch. Got lots and lots of friends with 14's that are ALOT faster. Bet I can hook you up with a race in Dothan against a lowered, stretched 14 if you want me to set it up?

Now back on track: you were saying your SZ650 beat supersport 600's- if you are talking 1/8 mile, against stock 600's I can buy that if you are a better rider than them. I wasn't referring to the drag strip when I was talking to you though, I was referring to on the street.

Now here's the funny twist: I'd bet money I could leave your 650 or 1000 in my dust on a twisty road. With my heavy *** on my 14. You'd be smart not to take that bet.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Uhh yeah my buddys bone stock 06 zx14 went 9.6 stock, hes 6'1" and about 170. And that was his first time out on the bike coming from a Ninja 650r. Your FZ1 doesnt hang.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:06 AM
TECH Veteran

So guess I need to buy a real bike huh? My 08 FZ1 doesn't count or something, why don't you bring something that can touch it, bc the busa's and zx-14's sure can't seem to unless the are slammed and stretched with exhaust.
Did you just say that your FZ1 (which I owned one for a year then sold it too my friend) would beat my zx14? I guess your monster FZ1 pulls 9.8 @ 146mph in the 1/4 then? Thats what mine does with my 340lb, 6'6" *** on it and no stretch. Got lots and lots of friends with 14's that are ALOT faster. Bet I can hook you up with a race in Dothan against a lowered, stretched 14 if you want me to set it up?

Now back on track: you were saying your SZ650 beat supersport 600's- if you are talking 1/8 mile, against stock 600's I can buy that if you are a better rider than them. I wasn't referring to the drag strip when I was talking to you though, I was referring to on the street.

Now here's the funny twist: I'd bet money I could leave your 650 or 1000 in my dust on a twisty road. With my heavy *** on my 14. You'd be smart not to take that bet.
Oh BTW my bike is bone stock besides a sprocket change, and yes I've outran busa's and ZX-14s at the local track more than once. Sad but true, sure I beat the rider, oh well I got the win light. This is 1/4 mile racing on the FZ. As for my SV650 yes I ran 1/8 and I usually destroyed the 600s out the hole so bad that they wouldn't ever catch me till after the 1/8.

Also since you had an FZ1 lets hear how well you did at the track?

I also do twisties to btw.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:26 AM
Launching!

bjamick, your post count on an ls1tech belies your intelligence on this subject. In other words, you sound like you don't know ****.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by thatguy383
bjamick, your post count on an ls1tech belies your intelligence on this subject. In other words, you sound like you don't know ****.
I really don't care what my post count is, I'm just glad we've got all these know it all's on here though. You must be oblivious to the fact that anything I've said is from what I myself have done, not f'n read on a message board, or had an uncles, best friend, moms sisters boyfriend who did such and such. This is why I've quit posting on this board, to many internet warriors on here for me.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

I never drag stripped any of my bikes except the once on my 14. I'm living in the best area of the country for twisty roads and mountains, so I never got the 1/4 mile bug.
Tossed most of my pics of my old 1000, but here is the guy I sold it too, and the red bike is the one:

Here's the bike that it replaced (and the best handling bike I've ever ridden)

And the 14

Then a vid of me leading a group on a fun section of road midwinter: most of the guys riding behind me in this vid where a group of guys who talked massive crap to me about being a "internet warrior" and how at my size, with my bike there was no way I could keep up on a twisty road with them. Instead, it was me waiting for them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqwLkYfz5bk

Here is that same group of guys after we stopped at the turn around point. Notice the ones that dont look happy? Guess which guys talked the most internet smack?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3Zv82Oj0OQ

Last edited by Sticks n Stones; 05-26-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyways good run.
Horribly unbelievable.

Two of the guys we ride with have SV650s, and neither got out of the high 12's the same day my zx6r was doing mid-high 10s and my friend (less experienced rider) was doing bottom 11s on his 636. The SV is down in comparison by close to 50 hp and still weighs more...the extra 150ccs don't close the gap by far. Both our bikes are near stock too - basically just a small gearing change and catless exhaust/filter for performance mods. I have a power commander but he is still on stock map. Neither of us are Rossi either - a lot of bikes with similar mods go quicker then we do.

Seriously, a SS 600 from 03+ would eat even an SV1000 alive at the track, both the twisties and drag strip. SV1000 traps what, 120.0000 with a tail wind? Remember, even though it is near twice the size engine it is a low revving v-twin and makes LESS horsepower then a modern 600 supersport. The extra tq won't help even with stock gearing on both bikes when they rev so freely you can easily keep the peaky little 600 above 9K.

I live in boring, flat, straight road FL, so the drag strip is popular for bikes here. Last time I rode real twisties was over a year ago when we trailored the bikes up to Deals Gap.

FWIW the cycle sport center sales rep I bought my bike from in 07 has an 08 zx14 that runs 8's on stock wheelbase. Not much of anything on the street can **** with that, and he rides it all the time. They stay streetable and are ALWAYS in drag trim. So much damn tq that you don't need to gear the hell out of them to run good times like you need to on a 600.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good run Yan, you kept up well with that bike. That bird runs good...... sounds great too
Old 05-28-2010, 05:15 AM
On The Tree

A lot of sv hate in this i dont know why because it is a great bike that is good for any rider its stupid to compare a 6k new bike to a 12k bike . in no way a stock sv650 will take a 600 supersport bike at the track, the stock suspension is CRAP but with gsxr front end and a new rear shock (zx6r on mine) its a whole new animal and if its the right track (no long straights) it will be very close. And i doubt with the same rider u can leave a sv650 with proper suspension in the dust (unless it was a road like that video that had mainly straights and really no turns at all)