Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

94 Z vs SRT-4

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhitePhoenix99
I have to disagree with you lemons about 9's not being fast. I know running a 9.9 is no great feat or anything nowadays, but I would say 95% of the people who post in this section (and do most of the **** talking) don't have 9 second cars. I would also say the vast majority of members on ls1tech don't either. As I'm sure you know there is a WORLD of difference between a 9.9 and a 9.0. I would never tell somebody that runs low 9's that they have a slow car. JMO though
I agree 100%. I just didn't want to butt in because I'm still a
Old 06-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
Damn, they've never gotten into the 8's?
That 161 trap is pretty crazy though.
there is one that i believe was in the 7's, but...... it's not street legal. the one that went 9.12 has been driven on the street numerous times, it has a tag, ins, etc..

in car vid of 7 sec DCR Hot-Rod
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7SO968HAEw

dyno vid of ^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og06TwhFxuo

Last edited by ozzy1; 06-04-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Wait, are we now talking about street driven 9 second NEONS? "what the ****" doesn't come close to explaining what I'm thinking right now.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Wait, are we now talking about street driven 9 second NEONS? "what the ****" doesn't come close to explaining what I'm thinking right now.
It's not a NEON BRO!!!!
Old 06-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Launching!

yeah...don't say Neon srt4 in front of Ke^in...
Old 06-04-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Regular

That's pretty crazy.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
fkn neons
Old 06-04-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ke^in
And laugh.

I really appreciate these new crop of newbs. They make me look good.
I appreciate some of your posts a bit more now as well.
I have to disagree with you lemons about 9's not being fast. I know running a 9.9 is no great feat or anything nowadays, but I would say 95% of the people who post in this section (and do most of the **** talking) don't have 9 second cars. I would also say the vast majority of members on ls1tech don't either. As I'm sure you know there is a WORLD of difference between a 9.9 and a 9.0. I would never tell somebody that runs low 9's that they have a slow car. JMO though
It is all opinion. In the SRK, no. Head over to the drag racing section.
I NEVER EVER said it was slow, or even close to that. I said I it wasn't "fast". 9s is definitely scooting and quicker than the majority of the cars around, yes. But there are MANY MANY 9 second full street friendly cars now. 9s at the drag strip is common. 8s and better is fast. Why? Because 8s are not easy to get to. 9s are the old 10s. Hell 10 years ago 11s for a full weight street car that you could DD every day was unheard of. Now look around, simple cam only setups are running 11s.
Originally Posted by NightmareTA
I agree 100%. I just didn't want to butt in because I'm still a
This is SRK section... SPEAK UP!!! Your opinion can't be worse than others that I post up.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lemons12
I appreciate some of your posts a bit more now as well.

I NEVER EVER said it was slow, or even close to that. I said I it wasn't "fast". 9s is definitely scooting and quicker than the majority of the cars around, yes. But there are MANY MANY 9 second full street friendly cars now. 9s at the drag strip is common. 8s and better is fast. Why? Because 8s are not easy to get to. 9s are the old 10s. Hell 10 years ago 11s for a full weight street car that you could DD every day was unheard of. Now look around, simple cam only setups are running 11s.
Have you ever rode in a 9-second car? Probably not. Take a ride in a 9-second street car trapping 140-150 and then tell me if you think that's not fast.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

9's are deffinately quick but you'r right in that they are not "unheard" of nowaday in a street car. With new technology in engines, and the ease of making horsepower, it's become pretty easy to do granted you have the wallet to afford it.

This is SRK section... SPEAK UP!!! Your opinion can't be worse than others that I post up.
I like to keep quite and learn most of the time even though I consider myself to be pretty knowledgable. I'm still a newb with LSx engines and don't want to run my mouth unless I know what's coming out of it. Now when I DO have knowledge on a topic, you can be sure I'll start the oral diarea!
Old 06-04-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
Have you ever rode in a 9-second car? Probably not. Take a ride in a 9-second street car trapping 140-150 and then tell me if you think that's not fast.
I have road in an 8 second car trapping 150+.

My opinion stands, 9s are not fast.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
9's are deffinately quick but you'r right in that they are not "unheard" of nowaday in a street car. With new technology in engines, and the ease of making horsepower, it's become pretty easy to do granted you have the wallet to afford it.

I like to keep quite and learn most of the time even though I consider myself to be pretty knowledgable. I'm still a newb with LSx engines and don't want to run my mouth unless I know what's coming out of it. Now when I DO have knowledge on a topic, you can be sure I'll start the oral diarea!
And that is my whole point. 10 years ago it was fast, no doubt about it. Times have changed though. And we are talking not unheard of in street cars. It is the norm in drag oriented cars. How could you call something that is the norm fast?
10s are incredibly easy to hit with many many platforms. I don't see why someone would think 9s is "fast" while taking this into consideration. Of course it takes a lot more to get to 9s than 10s but it isn't light years away. 8s is NOT easy, it takes some know how and money to get there and there really aren't any (you know what I mean) TRUE street cars running 8s.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:13 PM
Launching!

I have road in an 8 second car trapping 150+.

My opinion stands, 9s are not fast.
Yeah...sure buddy.

In terms of a drag car, yeah maybe 9's aren't nothing special. But for a street car with full interior, comfort luxuries and all; 9's are fast. Heck, if that's the case even 7's are slow considering you have cars that can do the quarter-mile in less than 5-seconds.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:45 PM
11 Second Club

I do look at the drag racing section, in fact I just looked at it and there are a total of 9 threads in the single digit section lol. Maybe it's different where you live, but the drag strip I go to (Oreilly Raceway Park) there are RARELY any 9 second or faster cars on the test and tune nights. I will agree 9's are more common than they used to be, but that doesn't mean I'm going to say 9's isn't fast for a street car.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ozzy1
there is one that i believe was in the 7's, but...... it's not street legal. the one that went 9.12 has been driven on the street numerous times, it has a tag, ins, etc..

in car vid of 7 sec DCR Hot-Rod
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7SO968HAEw

dyno vid of ^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og06TwhFxuo
I don't see how you can drive the old DCR Hot Rod. I was sitting in it a while back and I could barely see over the dash and I'm 6ft tall.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
Yeah...sure buddy.

In terms of a drag car, yeah maybe 9's aren't nothing special. But for a street car with full interior, comfort luxuries and all; 9's are fast. Heck, if that's the case even 7's are slow considering you have cars that can do the quarter-mile in less than 5-seconds.
Yes, sure buddy.

Are you saying I have never been in this car?
The scratches on the front bumper are not from it being too low.

Guess who put that sticker on...? I could show you the same exact sticker on my old white cars lid if you would like me to. They were both sitting in his garage when I put them on. But remember, I never road in this car.

Quickest pass he ever made at the track was a 5.8... Had major problems coming out of the hole with keeping the front end down and the car straight. Also blew 2 transmissions up within 2 track visits, converter was ALL wrong and he was going off the foot brake instead of trans brake. Car never showed it at the track but it had WAY better than a 5.8 in it... It ran that with all the "bugs" it had.
This is on a 100 shot. It was planned to use a 300 but he lost interest and sold it before we got to see what it would do with the big shot at the track, or even a small shot really.
He got plenty of use out of the car on the street, even with the big shot.
This vid is when it was still in the full weight TA. It was later swapped into a more drag oriented body.
http://s430.photobucket.com/albums/q...ent=616112.flv
Old 06-05-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

I do look at the drag racing section, in fact I just looked at it and there are a total of 9 threads in the single digit section lol. Maybe it's different where you live, but the drag strip I go to (Oreilly Raceway Park) there are RARELY any 9 second or faster cars on the test and tune nights. I will agree 9's are more common than they used to be, but that doesn't mean I'm going to say 9's isn't fast for a street car.
I don't know where my words got twisted into this... But I never said that.

A time that is fast is fast. Regardless of what it is/what mods it has/how much it weighs/etc etc. I'm not a person that says, yes that is fast for a civic. It is either fast or it isn't. If you are at the drag strip with your street car and running 9.8s and there is a drag car there running 9.3s...... The 9.3 car is faster, period. Not for "what it is" or anything like that, it is just plain faster. Street car more impressive? Sure... But I don't change my opinion on what is "fast" by the mods on a car/make of the car/uses of the car/etc etc etc...

If we are ONLY talking street cars (no drag cars at the drag strip, which is irrelevant because they always are) then yes, 9s is fast if it is a TRUE street car, not a street LEGAL car.

Hopefully that made sense and clears some stuff up.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:24 AM
11 Second Club

I don't know where my words got twisted into this... But I never said that.

A time that is fast is fast. Regardless of what it is/what mods it has/how much it weighs/etc etc. I'm not a person that says, yes that is fast for a civic. It is either fast or it isn't. If you are at the drag strip with your street car and running 9.8s and there is a drag car there running 9.3s...... The 9.3 car is faster, period. Not for "what it is" or anything like that, it is just plain faster. Street car more impressive? Sure... But I don't change my opinion on what is "fast" by the mods on a car/make of the car/uses of the car/etc etc etc...

If we are ONLY talking street cars (no drag cars at the drag strip, which is irrelevant because they always are) then yes, 9s is fast if it is a TRUE street car, not a street LEGAL car.

Hopefully that made sense and clears some stuff up.
I guess I just assumed we were talking about street cars here. Sure, I'll agree with you 9's isn't all that fast for a trailored drag car.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

I guess I just assumed we were talking about street cars here. Sure, I'll agree with you 9's isn't all that fast for a car at the drag strip
Nah, somehow people started changing what I said to JUST talking strictly street cars.

BTW, I change your statement to how I would say it.

Reason I would say that is because it is still at the strip running just like everything else.. Weight reduction is a mod/big cubes are a mod/etc etc etc... If a time is fast, its fast... If its not its not.

In my opinion!!
Old 06-05-2010, 12:47 AM
11 Second Club

Nah, somehow people started changing what I said to JUST talking strictly street cars.

BTW, I change your statement to how I would say it.

Reason I would say that is because it is still at the strip running just like everything else.. Weight reduction is a mod/big cubes are a mod/etc etc etc... If a time is fast, its fast... If its not its not.

In my opinion!!
Yeah I agree with you, I don't care what mods etc. . I was mainly conveying that I am more impressed with a car that can drive to the track, click off a 9 second pass and drive home than I am with a car that is so radical it can barely idle and keep from overheating and run the same time.