Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Eclipse GT vs Third gen

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I think people are confusing the '00-'05(?) Eclipses with the new Eclipses... the new Eclipse GTs are 265hp 3.8 V6 6spd. The old ones were 210hp 3.0 V6 5spds. Quite different.
Come on guys, don't be busting on the newer gen eclipses. My first car (00 GT) would take just about any 80s/early 90s V8. I got into that scene pretty heavily and bought another 00 GT which was turbocharged. Now my turbo 3G which only makes 7 psi on the stock motor would easily walk my 99 SS. The later gen eclipses are basically big blocks of the import world and are definitely no joke if you know what you're doing.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SKINNY69
Come on guys, don't be busting on the newer gen eclipses. My first car (00 GT) would take just about any 80s/early 90s V8. I got into that scene pretty heavily and bought another 00 GT which was turbocharged.

Now my turbo 3G which only makes 7 psi on the stock motor would easily walk my 99 SS. The later gen eclipses are basically big blocks of the import world and are definitely no joke if you know what you're doing.

The later gen Eclipses are the laughingstock of the import world. Sorry.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:57 AM
***Repost Police***

When it comes to modding yes, but it still traps ~100mph. Which is 8-10mph faster than any stock DSM.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:05 AM
Teching In

When it comes to modding yes, but it still traps ~100mph. Which is 8-10mph faster than any stock DSM.

I'm not sure if you think we are talking about the 4th Gen Eclipse...because we're not...

The 3rd gen GT (V6 model) with 200hp traps ~90ish, which is slower than any turbo DSM.

Besides, who the **** cares what a stock DSM runs?
Old 06-28-2010, 03:09 AM
***Repost Police***

You said "later gen." He was talking about his turbo 3rd gen, but you didn't really specify.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Teching In

You said "later gen." He was talking about his turbo 3rd gen, but you didn't really specify.
WWD 3rd and 4th gen Eclipses ARE the laughingstock of the import world.

I honestly don't care what it traps in the quartermile; a 1G DSM can do that with just a MBC and open DP, and has MUCH more potential.

The only reason I'm ripping on them is because he said they were the "big blocks" of the import world.

240SXs are dogfuck slow when stock, does that make them inferior to the fat, ugly, fail wheel drive 4th gen Eclipse? Not even close.

Obviously I don't care too much for the 2000+ models of Eclipse.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:57 AM
10 Second Club

running that eclipse in th op's car is almost as bad as kicking puppies.....just not fair

eclipse was taught a lesson easily
Old 06-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1992TsiAWD
WWD 3rd and 4th gen Eclipses ARE the laughingstock of the import world.

I honestly don't care what it traps in the quartermile; a 1G DSM can do that with just a MBC and open DP, and has MUCH more potential.

The only reason I'm ripping on them is because he said they were the "big blocks" of the import world.

240SXs are dogfuck slow when stock, does that make them inferior to the fat, ugly, fail wheel drive 4th gen Eclipse? Not even close.

Obviously I don't care too much for the 2000+ models of Eclipse.
Are you judging them because of the exterior or because you're completely belligerent? From an exterior stand point, I can agree that 99.9% of the 3G eclipses look gay as hell when modded.

I could go round and round about performance but lets face it, at the end of the day, the person with deeper pockets is always going to come out ahead.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Are you judging them because of the exterior or because you're completely belligerent? From an exterior stand point, I can agree that 99.9% of the 3G eclipses look gay as hell when modded.

I could go round and round about performance but lets face it, at the end of the day, the person with deeper pockets is always going to come out ahead.
Grand Ams, I mean 3rd Gen Eclipses, ARE ugly, yes.

That's hardly the main reason I despise them.

It might be a bit personal for me because Mitsubishi took a good thing (the 2G Eclipse) and completely ruined it. I don't hold them personally responsible because they probably sold more, but that doesn't change the fact that they were worse cars in nearly every way than the previous 2G (and 1G), especially from an enthusiast standpoint.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 2SSARME
High 13s? AHahahahah wtf are you smoking. Those things are slow as ****.
Funny... that's what I hear about stock 5th Gen "auto" SS's

Ahahahahahaaa wtf are YOU smoking? I'm guessing auto SS's are about an even run for a fat turd of a charger R/T with "maybe" a small lead going to the SS. And I mean maybe.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:18 AM
On The Tree

Back in the day I had a 90 Eclipse GT it was not awd just regular front wheel, 5spd and I am not making this up but that car moved! I have drove and ridden in several others and they were all complete dogs and I have no idea why the one I had was so fast. I sold it about 6 years ago and I still see it around town every once in a while.

When I had that car my neighbor had a 96 TA and we raced several times and every time he would get me out of the hole but as soon as the turbo came in it would just pull right around that LT1. I will say that no matter what bolt you touched on that car it would break, but man that thing would move. Oh and I have always had real cars don't worry I just had that thing for a DD and gas miliage. I just got down putting a LS3 into my 2000 Z28
Old 06-29-2010, 07:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2SSARME
Well, my exs boyfriend has an eclipse and I have smoked that thing about 80 times back and forth.

And funny you mention it. The last 3 weeks there have been 3 eclipses come out to the track and none have run high 13s/low 14s. The best time one got was a 14.8, but okay!
Back in the early 2ks people was running 14s in stock LS1 fbodies as well. That means that there are a lot of people not really driving the cars to their potential. Probably afraid to.

I know a guy that has a 2008 3v GT with tune, exhaust, long tube headers, intake, 4:10s MGW STS Pullies etc, and he is only running 13.8s in the 1/4. He BARELY made it to 13.0 with slicks.

Magazine drivers usually get the average of what a car can do when driven properly. Usually people can get said cars about .1 to .3 faster than magazine times when driving the crap out of it. It's an average low 14 sec car that has the ability to be a high 13 second car with the right conditions and person.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:30 AM
TECH Regular

Slow is relative... they run (even in mags) low 14s @ ~100mph.
Which is faster than 95% of the cars out there today. Thats all most people care about.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1992TsiAWD
Grand Ams, I mean 3rd Gen Eclipses, ARE ugly, yes.

That's hardly the main reason I despise them.

It might be a bit personal for me because Mitsubishi took a good thing (the 2G Eclipse) and completely ruined it. I don't hold them personally responsible because they probably sold more, but that doesn't change the fact that they were worse cars in nearly every way than the previous 2G (and 1G), especially from an enthusiast standpoint.
LOL That really shows how much you know. The 3G is almost identical to the 2Gs underneath the body panels. The suspension is identical... The only thing Mitsu did was swap out the dsm for something reliable. I also take it that you've never seen an awd 3g or realize that 75% of the parts for the conversion are a direct swap from the 2g.

From an enthusiasts stand point you should be even more enthused about the potential of the 4g64 and 6G72. Throw an evo head on the sohc 4g64 and the sky's the limit. Drop forged rods/pistons in the 72 and it'll handle as much boost as you can throw at it. Hell, my bone stock 72 made over 300whp for years and was beaten on daily without a single issue.

So basically, what you're trying to say is that you believe mitsubishi ruined the eclipse because they gave it a more modern style?
Old 06-29-2010, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 2005 Chrysler Sebring LX has the same 2.4L 4G64 motor as the 2000-05 RS/GS eclipses..
Old 06-29-2010, 08:15 PM
Teching In

LOL That really shows how much you know. The 3G is almost identical to the 2Gs underneath the body panels. The suspension is identical...

The only thing Mitsu did was swap out the dsm for something reliable. I also take it that you've never seen an awd 3g or realize that 75% of the parts for the conversion are a direct swap from the 2g.
I've seen an AWD 3G (one or two on the internet); anything's possible with enough time and resources. Doesn't make it easy or convenient.

99.999% of them are fail wheel drive.

From an enthusiasts stand point you should be even more enthused about the potential of the 4g64 and 6G72. Throw an evo head on the sohc 4g64 and the sky's the limit. Drop forged rods/pistons in the 72 and it'll handle as much boost as you can throw at it. Hell, my bone stock 72 made over 300whp for years and was beaten on daily without a single issue.

Are you seriously trying to compare the engines and drivetrain in the 3G to the DSMs?

Show me one 3G in the 10s, and I'll show you 100 1Gs and 50 2Gs.

4G64s are only desirable when built and with a superior head from a 63T. Then you have to set up a turbo kit and completely overhaul your ECU. It is not designed to be a high performance car, at least not any more than a Tiburon or Stratus R/T.

There have been dozens of stock block 4G63Ts running over 400whp reliably. 300whp is BPU.

So basically, what you're trying to say is that you believe mitsubishi ruined the eclipse because they gave it a more modern style?
Hmm lets see...

or...

Old 06-29-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

I can't stand the way the 3G's look.

I'd rather have an EVO 4 (prefer its bumper to the 5-6) over either though.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:21 PM
***Repost Police***

I don't think anyone would argue that particular 2nd gen looks better than that particular 3rd gen, but that is a bit of an unfair comparison; that 3rd gen is basically stock with some aftermarket wheels.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

The 2G has what looks like a fake CF hood (could be wrong), wheels, and dropped an inch or two.

I'd have to say EVO 4 for a 4G63 car, and the GTO for a 6G72 car.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:27 PM
***Repost Police***

The huge front-mount doesn't hurt . I'm not saying I don't prefer that bodystyle anyway, just sayin...

Quick Reply: Eclipse GT vs Third gen