Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Lost to a cammed 5.0 stang

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Lost to a cammed 5.0 stang

Well i lost but i just couldnt launch at all. We raced a total of 3 times and two times i was just spinning like crazy, after i hooked up i still was having a hard time realling him in. The one race i did hook up i was able to pull him back and pass him but until 3rd gear, he really wasnt much but he did beat me twice, even the one i beat him i didnt hook that good. I really hate loosing because of poor driving skills. These Goodyear Z tires dont seem to grip too good, in the other ls1 i use to have, it was wearing Khumos, and those were a lot better. Dont feel too bad though, the stang had a pretty big cam and some more stuff, my car only has 6k miles and bone stock. The engine probably hasnt been broken in yet. It was funny to see his stang moving side to side at idle and mine didnt even make a whisper and i was still able to take him(once)
Old 01-16-2004, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't be ashamed. Those fox bodies can be made bad *** very easy. However, it sounds like if you were able to hook you would have beaten him all three times. I have the same problem. It's so hard to find that fine line between excessive wheel spin and bogging.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:33 PM
STF Veteran

Nice runs. Get the basic bolt ons and you'll take him next time. Oh, yeah, and tires too.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Oh, after you get the tires, you'll probably have to get a new rear also.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Traction almost always = worst enemy. Nice runs.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:23 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Time for some drag radials. The story woulda been different if you were using them.
Good runs!
Old 01-17-2004, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the lift of spirit. These were done in the street this thursday, and this sunday is cruise night and that is where all the action is. Im pretty sure ill see him again and will have a shot at a rematch. There should be a lot more cars too, ill see what i can do. Ill keep u guys posted.......
Old 01-17-2004, 12:33 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tires make a HUGE difference ... when I first upgraded my F1's to the Firehawks I thought I was in heaven ... had to try pretty hard to spin them, and they handled excellently .... now, unfortunately, I have alittle more power and the Firehawks spin just as easily as the old F1's did. Time for some Nitto 555R's.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

yep you need some DR's and then you will be good to go. Nice runs, and like what was stated earlier, a properly made fox can be a quick as car!
Old 01-17-2004, 07:39 PM
TECH Veteran

I beat a cammed 1988 5.0 mustang he had hoosies drag slicks, headers, flowmaster duals and a trick & flow intake also its a tremec 5 speed. Its sounds loud as hell by the way it sounded I thought he was going to blow my doors off. The only mods I have are in my sig my Nitto Drs help a **** load. I heated the hell out of them then ran him. I took him off the line and all the way I had a car length on him when I hit 120 mph I had a car and a half on him. Yeah I would say get some Drag Radials and a few bolt ons and you should take him good luck in the future with your mods.