Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

08 Shelby GT vs 2000ish camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 08 Shelby GT vs 2000ish camaro SS

I was at Target picking up a few things and had parked my car way out at the end of the lot where there were no other cars. After I was done shopping, I came out and there was a BEAUTIFUL 2000ish camaro SS with HP evo wheels parked close to me. I walked by it to check it out and it is one of the cleanest I've seen in a long time. Looked like it had less than 20k miles on it! Anyways, I get in the mustang and start it up and I see a guy walking out to the camaro. I drive by him and kind of nod and he hops in his car and follows me. We get onto the main strip in the town I was in and as he gets up besides me he turns onto the highway, so I followed.

I cruised up next to him and we never really got any great runs in, but the first run, he kinda just floored it with no beeps or anything, and I played catch up. He was ahead by 4 or so cars and pulling a little. Next run I tried to signal him to go on the third honk, so as we're side by side, I downshift to 3rd and do 3 slow beeps and take off. He missed the hit and I took off a second before him but he couldn't catch me until I let off around 110 or so, with me being about a car and a half on him. I'm pretty sure the car was an auto because every time he got on it it seemed like it downshifted on it's own.

I REALLY wanted a clean run so I could see how I kept up. I've never raced an LS1 4th gen, only an LT1. The shelby's not fast but it holds it's own, and pulls decent on the highway for a baby motor. And before anyone flames me, I KNOW THIS CAR WOULD KICK MY **** under a normal heads up race!

And damn I was jealous of that car. SOOOOO. . . . CLEEEAN!
Old 06-29-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good runs! There will always be someone faster though, but that gives you motivation to mod up
Old 06-30-2010, 01:06 AM
Staging Lane

Sounds like some fun runs.

A tune, x-pipe, and cold air kit really wakes up the 4.6 mustangs. One of my friends has the aforementioned mods and runs very low 13s in an automatic car. May even have a 12 in it with good air. Might want to consider those for your car although I see you are building a nasty 5.3 3rd gen car
Old 06-30-2010, 01:10 AM
Teching In

What is the difference between the shelby gt and the normal gt? I saw a white with greyish stripped Shelby gt and it looked sick.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:30 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regular Shelby appearance mods(wheels/badging/scoop/side scoop/grill/body kit/etc), gears, comes with different mufflers, short throw shifter, cold air intake, and it's tuned for the modifications done to it. Probably missing something. I got my 06 GT back then brand new, there's no reason to get a Shelby GT IMO. It's just not worth it unless you really just want to have a mustang with the shelby name. If you're going to get a Shelby mustang, it should be a GT500, or the new GT350 when that comes out.

Basically the Shelby GT is a serialized and very mildly modifed regular Mustang GT, with a bump in pricing that comes from the name.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by madden
Sounds like some fun runs.

A tune, x-pipe, and cold air kit really wakes up the 4.6 mustangs. One of my friends has the aforementioned mods and runs very low 13s in an automatic car. May even have a 12 in it with good air. Might want to consider those for your car although I see you are building a nasty 5.3 3rd gen car
Yea, maybe one day it will actually be done! LOL, 3 1/2 years in the making now but it should be an awesome car when it's done. Thanks for the compliments!
Old 06-30-2010, 06:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SSkull
Regular Shelby appearance mods(wheels/badging/scoop/side scoop/grill/body kit/etc), gears, comes with different mufflers, short throw shifter, cold air intake, and it's tuned for the modifications done to it. Probably missing something. I got my 06 GT back then brand new, there's no reason to get a Shelby GT IMO. It's just not worth it unless you really just want to have a mustang with the shelby name. If you're going to get a Shelby mustang, it should be a GT500, or the new GT350 when that comes out.

Basically the Shelby GT is a serialized and very mildly modifed regular Mustang GT, with a bump in pricing that comes from the name.
You didn't mention all the suspension goodies they come with. Bigger sway bars front and rear with poly bushings, lowering springs, performance shocks.

I hate hearing when people say the package is not worth it. I paid 36k for mine minus the extended warranty. Considering a well optioned GT will run you 30-31k, thats a sweet deal! I am modded from the factory and covered under a full factory warranty and that is a huge plus for me. The SGT is also one of the best handling SN197 stangs from the factory (05-09 at least). It runs circles around the GT500.

Plus, while the GT500's are bad *** cars, they are not really true shelby cars. The SGT is made at shelby in Las Vegas, and serialized. I think it's worth every penny for a collector.

IMO the shelby GT is the best looking factory 05-09 mustang made, but I may be biased!
Old 06-30-2010, 07:25 AM
Teching In

Post up some pics of it bro.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RocketZ06
Post up some pics of it bro.
I'm at work but I can put up a few pics when I get home.

Heres a pic I found of basically what mine is....

Old 06-30-2010, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those Shelby GT's: are they the same as the GT-350? One of those GT 350's was one of my first kills with my GTO. They were pre 2005 though I believe. ?
Old 06-30-2010, 07:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SSkull

God please no, that thing is the biggest abomination of the bodystyle there has been yet, the front fascia is TERRIBLE and it only says GT350 about 438 times on the car, not to mention the SHELBY insignia on the back bumper cover isn't even centered, looks like a 2nd grader designed it in a hurry before recess. Nightmare, good runs, I would've liked to see how a dig race turned out.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
You didn't mention all the suspension goodies they come with. Bigger sway bars front and rear with poly bushings, lowering springs, performance shocks.

I hate hearing when people say the package is not worth it. I paid 36k for mine minus the extended warranty. Considering a well optioned GT will run you 30-31k, thats a sweet deal! I am modded from the factory and covered under a full factory warranty and that is a huge plus for me. The SGT is also one of the best handling SN197 stangs from the factory (05-09 at least). It runs circles around the GT500.

Plus, while the GT500's are bad *** cars, they are not really true shelby cars. The SGT is made at shelby in Las Vegas, and serialized. I think it's worth every penny for a collector.

IMO the shelby GT is the best looking factory 05-09 mustang made, but I may be biased!
Sticker on our 08 GT was $32,XXX...we got it out the door for $24,XXX and 0% for 72 months. Its a red 5speed with black leather.

Last edited by 97ramsst; 06-30-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by snake95
God please no, that thing is the biggest abomination of the bodystyle there has been yet, the front fascia is TERRIBLE and it only says GT350 about 438 times on the car, not to mention the SHELBY insignia on the back bumper cover isn't even centered, looks like a 2nd grader designed it in a hurry before recess. Nightmare, good runs, I would've liked to see how a dig race turned out.
I def agree with you on that!

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
Sticker on our 08 GT was $32,XXX...we got it out the door for $24,XXX and 05 for 72 months. Its a red 5speed with black leather.
Thats a smokin deal! Not sure how you pulled that off but I wish I had bargaining skills like that!

And your TA is sweet man. I'm a sucker sor Sunset Orange.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:06 AM

Good runs, man!

I believe I've mentioned it before, but they should give a street racing basics course at driver's ed so that we don't have so many people playing the "I'll punch it without warning, before you're even next to me, and then weave through traffic and call it a win" game.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

good stuff.....

i tried egging on a guy in one of those shelby's in my slobalt.
he was pimpin with his shades, nice rims, top down.....gave him a few blow-offs and he totally ignored me :grumble:
Old 06-30-2010, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
Sticker on our 08 GT was $32,XXX...we got it out the door for $24,XXX and 05 for 72 months. Its a red 5speed with black leather.
Thats a huge reason why my dad got a GT, but red on red.

1,200 miles 0 owner and the sticker was 22,000 (it was a year old) and out the door it ended up being 17,000 with everything.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hugger1975
good stuff.....

i tried egging on a guy in one of those shelby's in my slobalt.
he was pimpin with his shades, nice rims, top down.....gave him a few blow-offs and he totally ignored me :grumble:
Most used line when i ride in a turbo car hahaha

"throw him a blow off or two and see what happens"
Old 06-30-2010, 10:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 06 6.0 GTO
Most used line when i ride in a turbo car hahaha

"throw him a blow off or two and see what happens"
i know of no other way to get attention in a low rise spolier cobalt....lol

normally goes like this:

guy who know cars and the sounds they make: pssssst pssssst psssst "does that lil buggr got a turbo" oh its on
guy who has no f'n clue what pssst pssst means: heavens, why is that shiny red 4-door family sedan with the overused SS badge messin with my (insert typical > 104 trapping car)
Old 06-30-2010, 10:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Those Shelby GT's: are they the same as the GT-350? One of those GT 350's was one of my first kills with my GTO. They were pre 2005 though I believe. ?
GT350s were made in 65-70, '84, and now in '11. Outside of that, it was a dealer decal or a 'sticker package' that was put on by the owner. The most common I've seen is the GT300. (which to me is rediculous).
Old 06-30-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ponygt65
GT350s were made in 65-70, '84, and now in '11. Outside of that, it was a dealer decal or a 'sticker package' that was put on by the owner. The most common I've seen is the GT300. (which to me is rediculous).
I saw a car at a local show that was all done up like a GT500....spoiler, wheels, stripes, "shelby" badge in the rear......and then the lower door stripe said GT300! LOL, looked so grandpa'd out....I guess maybe it stands for the 300 HP of the GT? Still dumb IMO.