Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

370z vs ls1 dragstrip

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zac_Speed
What kinda shitty *** video was that OP??? 370Zs are what many consider a "Female Sports Car"... Just sayin'...

BAWHAHAHA. id lay off the huffing aerosol cans. the ls1 community really has gotten bad...
Old 07-04-2010, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

What kinda shitty *** video was that OP??? 370Zs are what many consider a "Female Sports Car"... Just sayin'...
hey, don't push that **** off on me, I'm female and wouldn't want one of those things...
Old 07-04-2010, 02:11 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
10 year old catback LS1 vs new modded 370z..

How about we do a STOCK 2010 camaro vs a 370z?

Or.. better yet, let's put 3 big *** people in the 2010 Camaro to handicap it and see what happens.
Butthurt.
Originally Posted by 99FRCTorchRed
Heck on the freeway I get 28.5 mph ......... not bad for a 11 year old vette
Why do LS1 people (some) insist on handicapping themselves? We all know the LSx motors are great and ahead of their time.
No.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its a better sports car then the 4th gen it raced. i would also wager that it would put a hurting on a 5th gen on a race track which weeds out sports cars from each other.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
its a better sports car then the 4th gen it raced. i would also wager that it would put a hurting on a 5th gen on a race track which weeds out sports cars from each other.
The 4th gen is not a sports car, nor is the 5th gen.

I am 95% positive the 5th gen has a better lap time than the 370, I could be wrong though.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

i wonder if they have both done a lighting lap for car and driver
Old 07-04-2010, 02:44 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by lemons12
The 4th gen is not a sports car, nor is the 5th gen.

I am 95% positive the 5th gen has a better lap time than the 370, I could be wrong though.
I'm sure it depends on the track. The 370Z undoubtedly handles better (though the Camaro does handle well for its size), but the Camaro is faster.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I'm sure it depends on the track. The 370Z undoubtedly handles better (though the Camaro does handle well for its size), but the Camaro is faster.
And that shows which is a sports car and which is a muscle car.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:33 PM
***Repost Police***

Yep.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
WRONG

The 5th gen Camaro is quicker than the Nismo 370Z on the two tracks that they've both been tested on (stock v stock).
The only tracks the two have been tested side by side at are VIR and Laguna Seca.
The 5th gen is 2.5 seconds quicker at VIR and .9 seconds quicker at Laguna Seca.
The VIR runs were done by the same driver, on the same day, thanks to C&D.
All I know about the Laguna Seca times is that they were both done by Motor Trend.

The 370Z is a great sports coupe, but I wouldn't say it's quicker on a road course than a 5th gen SS. As far as track type, you couldn't ask for two better tracks if you wanted to compare quickest lap potential.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemons12
I agree and disagree... You look at the new 370Z and compare it to an fbody.. Put full exhaust/intake/tune on them both and the gap will be greatly different. Not just because of the displacement but because of how well the stock parts are for the v6 cars already to be able to make those numbers. Where as the fbody got kind of **** on from the factory.
Either way, impressive.
Well, I was speaking mainly about bone stock off of the showroom floor, when we throw mods in we know bigger cubes or FI are going to win. My point was for the average joe who wants a sports car he has a lot more options these days.

Also, I HATE the handling of the 370Z. My friend at work has a nismo edition and when you go around a sharp curve it feels like its going to roll over any second. I know it won't, but it feels like it will more so than any other kind of performance car I've driven/been in.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
WRONG

The 5th gen Camaro is quicker than the Nismo 370Z on the two tracks that they've both been tested on (stock v stock).
The only tracks the two have been tested side by side at are VIR and Laguna Seca.
The 5th gen is 2.5 seconds quicker at VIR and .9 seconds quicker at Laguna Seca.
The VIR runs were done by the same driver, on the same day, thanks to C&D.
All I know about the Laguna Seca times is that they were both done by Motor Trend.

The 370Z is a great sports coupe, but I wouldn't say it's quicker on a road course than a 5th gen SS. As far as track type, you couldn't ask for two better tracks if you wanted to compare quickest lap potential.
You can't ask for better tracks but you can ask for a different Z. Its common knowledge the nismo Z has brake issues... not to mention they also have oil temp issues and most of the people who tracked them have caused the engines to go into limp mode, ie the rev limiter being lowered to prevent damage to the car. Once you address those issues id be surprised if the Z still ran slower then clearly the camaro has an advantage with all that power. Its a sad day when a musclecar beats a sportscar around the track...then again this ain't the 60s
Old 07-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Banned

lol @ import nuthuggers on a GM site..
Old 07-04-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mr370z
You can't ask for better tracks but you can ask for a different Z. Its common knowledge the nismo Z has brake issues... not to mention they also have oil temp issues and most of the people who tracked them have caused the engines to go into limp mode, ie the rev limiter being lowered to prevent damage to the car. Once you address those issues id be surprised if the Z still ran slower then clearly the camaro has an advantage with all that power. Its a sad day when a musclecar beats a sportscar around the track...then again this ain't the 60s
The article does mention serious and sudden brake wear after a few runs.
In a follow-up article, they mention that this is still an issue in the base and Nismo Z cars, but apparently you can order better pads.

Also, in the lightning lap article, they describe the steering as disconnected and "wondered whether all the power showed up."
They actually described it as the worst car they ever tested at lightning lap (primarily due to the brake issue).

The brake thing is still just an excuse though (and relevant for all models).
The fact still remains that the 5th gen has recorded better times at the two tracks where it has gone up against the newest Z car.

Last edited by DiscerningZ32; 07-04-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:20 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
lol @ import nuthuggers on a GM site..
No nuthugging going on here... we're just not idiots.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Either way both cars are awesome and whoever can't respect the Z for whooping up on an LS1 is asking for a lot. What's next? Does the 370z have to beat a twin turbo lambo for it to be a worthy car? Or does the Z need to start from the factory with an LSX to be worthy?

Whatever the reason, I haven't figured out why they didn't test the 370z sport against the Camaro SS since most people would be driving the sport.

Btw, where did you hear the 370z base has worse braking issues than the nismo. Id like to read it myself.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mr370z
Either way both cars are awesome and whoever can't respect the Z for whooping up on an LS1 is asking for a lot. What's next? Does the 370z have to beat a twin turbo lambo for it to be a worthy car? Or does the Z need to start from the factory with an LSX to be worthy?

Whatever the reason, I haven't figured out why they didn't test the 370z sport against the Camaro SS since most people would be driving the sport.

Btw, where did you hear the 370z base has worse braking issues than the nismo. Id like to read it myself.
I like Z cars, I owned a Z32 TT for a little bit and wish I had an LSX S30.
I was just saying that the 5th gen has shown itself to be quicker where the two cars have raced.

As for the brakes, the Nismo pads and other brake hardware is the same as that used in the base and sport model.
Here's the Car and Driver article where they mention the sub-par pads:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ng_lap-feature

Apparently Nissan is fully aware of it and now offer high performance alternative pads for the sport package Z and the Nismo version.
If you read the whole article, they also mention issues with the brake fluid boiling only at certain ends, causing the car to veer.
Even with the better pads, the brake fluid boiled severely during their test and completely evaporated away.
In fact, they suspect the boiling brake fluid issue is likely the primary culprit in the VIR crash incident.
They suspect that the cause of the brakes overheating and boiling the fluid is lack of cooling ducts to the brakes.

They conclude saying that: " If you intend to track a Z, don’t use the base pads, upgrade the brake fluid, and be sure to install brake-cooling ducts."

And, as you can see from the images, the base pads obviously wear down significantly more than they should.

Last edited by DiscerningZ32; 07-04-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Well thanks for the exact article and mature response. I was planning on upgrading all of those things which you would anyways if you were planning on tracking a vehicle. Honestly after the 370z just needs more power... that's really the only advantage the camaro has. Once again, thanks.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

It's all good. I actually like the 370Z, even more than the 5th gen.
I don't think I'd purchase either though. I just like the older Z's much more than the Z33/Z34.

Honestly, I'd probably buy the 2010 5.0 GT over either.
Have to be careful where I mention that so no one gets sand in their vag.

Actually, speaking of the mustang... Surprisingly, it was only .1 second quicker than the 5th gen at Willow Springs.

Last edited by DiscerningZ32; 07-04-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Not another 370z vs 5th gen thread....

I thought we got this settled.... 5th gen SS > 370z.

Quick Reply: 370z vs ls1 dragstrip