Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Raced a turbo maxima in the Shelby GT last night

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 07:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Raced a turbo maxima in the Shelby GT last night

After meeting up with a few freinds on the pike, I was on my way home when just before the highway on ramp, I see HID's jet up behind me. I'm thinking, "just before I made it to the highway, a ricer found me!" As we're getting onto the highway, he gets beside me and I now notice that it's a decent looking pearl white 95ish maxima with an aftermarket front bumper. Not a bad looking car. I think it had 350Z wheels on it too. He downshifts and is making hand motions to me so I figured what the hell.

First run, I downshifted and he kinda just went so I took off in 3rd gear. DAMN that thing was quick! He held me dead even through 3rd with about a car on me, I hit 4th and my front bumper was at his drivers door, and I just put a nose on him before we let off.

He wanted to slow down more so we get down to 2nd gear. I try to tell him to go on 3 beeps, and after the first beep, he jumps on me. People really need to understand the rules of roll racing! Anyways, I'm on it and we are dead even with him having about a car on me through second and half of 3rd. Top of 3rd I am slowly realing him in, and I hit 4th and crawl by his side with the end result as me with maybe a half car on him. I had the better top end but damn, that was a quick maxima!

Cool kid too. After our runs he gave me thumbs up and and took off since I was getting off an exit. Flashed him the highbeams quick and got off. Wish I knew a little more about the car. Anyone local ever see it?
Old 07-16-2010, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

Not trying to call bs or anything. But if you nothing about the car or the owner...how do you know/assume it was turbo. Did you hear it? Or something like that. I knew of a guy that had a 95 Maxima but he was spraying it with some N20. And it was pretty quick.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ferg95 T/A
Not trying to call bs or anything. But if you nothing about the car or the owner...how do you know/assume it was turbo. Did you hear it? Or something like that. I knew of a guy that had a 95 Maxima but he was spraying it with some N20. And it was pretty quick.
well first of all I am by no means new to cars. Maximas that year are 190 HP. Even modded being non turbo I would find it very hard to believe that he would hang with a 284 WHP mustang. That being said, I did hear what I though was a turbo whistle but since I wasn't in front of the car for most of the race, I heard mostly exhaust. On the stock bottom end I can't see him running more than 8 or so PSI and that would make him about where I am I'm sure. Thats why I was asking if anyone knew the car. I'd like to know ACTUALLY what he had done.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:34 AM
11 Second Club

People actually turbo those cars?

****... well good kill I guess haha...

My mind is blown that people mod those....
Old 07-16-2010, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gaunt

I can't even think of a comment suitable for you.

Good kill dude, the car may or may not have been turbo, but even the mid 90's Maximas could do 350-400whp on the stock engine with a decent turbo setup. My guess is the car had bolt ons and a little shot.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah i used to drive one. not fast by any means but they have some potential. they only weigh about 2000 lbs. i met a kid who engine swapped a 3.5 from the 2002-2004 maximas into his 95 and ran 11's. i immediately thought bullshit but he just came back from kcir and 11.8 was written on his window in white marker. i still dont know if i believe him
Old 07-16-2010, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2000***camaro***ss
yeah i used to drive one. not fast by any means but they have some potential. they only weigh about 2000 lbs. i met a kid who engine swapped a 3.5 from the 2002-2004 maximas into his 95 and ran 11's. i immediately thought bullshit but he just came back from kcir and 11.8 was written on his window in white marker. i still dont know if i believe him
2000 lbs?really a 4 door weighing 2000lbs c'mon are you serious
Old 07-16-2010, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

Interesting, I've never seen it in Arizona, so that's why I ask.

Originally Posted by Ju1ce
I don't pay attention to Nissan performance too much, so forgive me? Way to be a dick lol.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:14 AM
yfz
Teching In

If it has wheels and a motor. Someone has modded it.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

Maybe it should be noted that I meant modding in the serious sense, not a fart can and altezzas.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guant...there is a early 90's Nissan...something in Yuma that is fast. FWD, don't know if a sentra or maxima or what, but its a low 11, high 10 at like 133 car. He used to post on AZSS.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:46 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
Guant...there is a early 90's Nissan...something in Yuma that is fast. FWD, don't know if a sentra or maxima or what, but its a low 11, high 10 at like 133 car. He used to post on AZSS.
**** me sideways, now I know haha.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

Nice dude, did u meet up with Todd? I was supposed to head over there but had turbo issues and was sidelined. Woulda liked to have lined up with u

Tomorrow the car is back under the knife for the next 'phase' so next thursday i will def be around.

I saw the car b4, sounded ok but doesnt seem turbo to me
Old 07-16-2010, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ju1ce

Good kill dude, the car may or may not have been turbo, but even the mid 90's Maximas could do 350-400whp on the stock engine with a decent turbo setup. My guess is the car had bolt ons and a little shot.
Wow, I never knew they had so much potential, haha. I def want to find the kid now and see what he's got done. If it is all motor with just a small shot, I'm gonna shake his hand, because he surprised the hell out of me.

Originally Posted by sujomatt
Nice dude, did u meet up with Todd? I was supposed to head over there but had turbo issues and was sidelined. Woulda liked to have lined up with u

Tomorrow the car is back under the knife for the next 'phase' so next thursday i will def be around.

I saw the car b4, sounded ok but doesnt seem turbo to me
Yep, met up with Todd and Ron. Ron's got my number now so anytime you guys are hangin out give me a ring. I'm always down for some BSing and car talk. And what did you want to run me with, the honda? LOL, my car is no competition for the camaro!
Old 07-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
Wow, I never knew they had so much potential, haha. I def want to find the kid now and see what he's got done. If it is all motor with just a small shot, I'm gonna shake his hand, because he surprised the hell out of me.
Yeah man the older style ones like 91-95 I think are pretty light (about 3000lbs I believe) If you made 284whp it sounds like he would only need about 230-240whp to keep up for a little while.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

Yep, met up with Todd and Ron. Ron's got my number now so anytime you guys are hangin out give me a ring. I'm always down for some BSing and car talk. And what did you want to run me with, the honda? LOL, my car is no competition for the camaro!
Nice, we will def be meeting up soon.

And yes, the civic lol. Camaro is still out of commission
Old 07-16-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

well first of all I am by no means new to cars. Maximas that year are 190 HP. Even modded being non turbo I would find it very hard to believe that he would hang with a 284 WHP mustang. That being said, I did hear what I though was a turbo whistle but since I wasn't in front of the car for most of the race, I heard mostly exhaust. On the stock bottom end I can't see him running more than 8 or so PSI and that would make him about where I am I'm sure. Thats why I was asking if anyone knew the car. I'd like to know ACTUALLY what he had done.
my last car was a 98 maxima with a 3.5 swap and even though i didnt have a chance to track it after the swap i put down 248/240 i think and it was a very hard to beat. my car only weighed around 2800lbs also. i would lay waste to 350z's, mustang gt's, stock ls1 camaros, etc. i was really surprised when i beat some of those cars. it would have run pretty well with your car which i assume is around 3500lbs? wouldnt have ended well for you.

i used to also drive a vortech 96 maxima which ran around 11 psi and made low 300's with no real mods aside from exhaust work. no fmic, stock injectors and it would run hard if it had traction. like juice said a turbo maxima would make 300's ( depending on the turbo prob a t4 or a gt35) on like 5-6psi. some on the old maxima board are in the decent 400-500 range and mostly a stock block. some do run built blocks, some run spray. but if it has a motor and wheels people mod it.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

just typing in turbo maxima gives you
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...bo+maxima&aq=f

and the first video is a stock motor car from way back when there wasnt any really tunning options for maxima guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWCMS0MnHi8 --- 120 car on stock motor, injectors.

most turbo maximas are deep into the 12 sec range. that vq motor is really stout and made the maxima into a quick car some times.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:14 PM
***Repost Police***

For serious? How much do you think your car weighs?
Old 07-16-2010, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

nice race.

But It doesnt exactly mean it was turbo, theres 2 maximas in CT with 3.5 swaps , one of them is white and slammed realy low .

The 95-99 maximas also very light, they weight in just around 3000lbs maybe a few lbs more

Heres a video of my old 02 3.5 6spd vs a 2v mustang GT
I dynoed 252 on a dyno jet with full exhaust, intake and tune.

Please excuse the super loud fart can , I was 20 yrs old at the time

02 Maxima vs. 04 GT Mustang - dounts - TSM