Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

H/C/Nitrous Z28 vs 2008 Z06 and F1 blown Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default H/C/Nitrous Z28 vs 2008 Z06 and F1 blown Mach 1

I was out cruising with some friends yesterday and my buddy called up his friend who just got a stock 2008 Z06. I've been wanting to run one forever, but every time I run into one they aren't interested, so this was perfect.

The guy was really cool and said he would run from whatever speed I wanted to. We had a passenger in each car. My car is a heads/cam setup that makes 422/372 (cutout closed for the street). I also spray a 100 shot. The bottle was full for these races.

The first race I wanted to see how fast they were compared to me on motor. We lined up at 20 mph, both in 1st gear. I was extremely impressed with the Z06 to say the least:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t5d2A5Tfho

The second run I sprayed it and we started from 25 mph, both in 1st gear. This run I blew the tires off through first and part of second gear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o5kqyCB30g

After that I told them I wanted to run once more from 40 mph. I have no problem losing, but I figured it would be a much better race with traction, haha. There was supposed to be a video of this race, but when we tried to watch it after it wouldn't play for some reason.

We flipped around once more and lined up at 40 mph, he was in 1st and I was in 2nd. Three honks and we both hit it, but this time I hooked and we took off side by side. As we cranked through the gears I very slowly pulled ahead, getting him by about 3/4 of a car by the top of 4th gear. It was a great race, and I was pleased with how my car performed, considering the beating I took against him on motor, haha.

He was very cool and told me that they were great races. No one missed any shifts and he told he he nailed all of his. Before the races I asked him what he thought of his car and he said it was fun, but not that fast. I figured he was crazy until I found out that he has a drag only car that traps 160+ mph. After the races he was more impressed with his car than anything else

After that I went out with my other friend who just got his Mach 1 back on the road. The car is a 2003/2004 Mach 1 with a 4.6 4V stroked to 5.0, with a Procharger F1-D blower. The car has so far made 619 rwhp on 12 psi. It has alot more in it, but is only running a 6 rib belt setup (new blower and Procharger didn't have an 8 rib setup for it yet, but he's getting the pieces needed to swap it over). He was excited to run me since he hasn't had a real race since he got it back on the road.

Neither of us had a passenger for these races.

I asked him there he wanted to run from and he said it was hooking pretty good, so 45-50 mph would be fine. We got two runs in, both from 45 mph, both in 2nd gear.

The first run was to the top of 4th and the cars were neck and neck almost the entire run, with him creeping about a fender on me.

After that we had to line up again and we went a 2nd tim from 45 mph, both in 2nd gear. This time we had to shut down partway through 4th, but we got going pretty good (115-120 mph probably). Again it was a neck and neck race, with him creeeping in front by a fender.

We pulled off and both said agreed that they were clean runs that weren't going to get any better on our part. My buddy was very happy to have some good races in, and we'll definitely get some more runs in some time on video. I was very pleased that I was able to hang right next to him. He never mentioned belt slip, but with such a small belt it's a possibility. The Mach 1 is still running 3.55 gears, so I'm sure the planned swap to 4.10's will pick up nicely. Also, he said he hooked well, only spinning slightly on the hit.

Once he gets his belt swapped over he's gonna drop the pulley size and should make 100 more rwhp at least.

The Mach 1 also got a run in against the Z06. I'll try to get the video up that my brother got of it. From what I saw in the video they are pretty close until the Mach 1 slowly pulls ahead up top. I think they raced to 150+ mph.

Overall it was the best day of racing I've had in a long time! I'm definitely going to run that black, ported Cobra again (from the other thread) and we're going to try and get the Z06 to come out again for that. Also, my other friend has a white, ported Cobra with a 75 shot that I'm going to line up against one of these days.

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 07-19-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good races! And thanks for the good videos.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:48 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Sweet vids dude, bravo-
Old 07-19-2010, 05:52 PM

Thanks guys! I actually forgot my camera, but my friend was able to catch them on his phone. I really wish the last one had come out, but what are you gonna do?
Old 07-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Teching In

awsome man.....amazing the difference nitrous makes....C6Z's are simply amazing.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Nice vids. I assume that you sprayed the Mach1 as well.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

good races man.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:33 PM

Yeah, I definitely sprayed in those races. When we line up next time I'll run him on motor one of the races to show the difference.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Teching In

GREAT RUNS!!
Old 07-19-2010, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

What a difference with spray. Awesome video's!
Old 07-19-2010, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

I agree that is why I LOVE my spray!!! Good races once again
Old 07-19-2010, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Definately some awesome runs for one of the first nights I've had the Mach 1 out. After a 10 month build its nice to see things finally starting to take shape.

Race 1- ScreaminRedZ vs 04 Mach 1
Great race, was happy to be able to line up with ScreaminRedZ after trying for a couple weekends. Overall I was pretty happy with the results, 2nd gear hit from around 45mph to 110mph or so, with me slightly pulling up top. A little spinning at first but nothing major, Ive had some belt slip issues ( been through 2 6 rib belts in 400miles and alignment is spot on) but I dont think it was any deciding factor. I dont think we could have asked for better shifts or driving.

Race 2- ScreaminRedZ vs 04 Mach 1
As ScreaminRed Z said before, basically the same result with me pulling a little up top. We got up to around 120mph this time, would have been interesting to see what would happen if we had another 15-20miles an hour. ScreaminRedZ has a strong running car for sure. I know hes run 11.5 all motor ( correct me if I am wrong ) so I know its solid 10 sec car with spray. My goal was to have a consistent 10 second Mach 1 and lower once I get it dialed in so far it seems like I am on track.

Race 3- C6 Z06 vs 04 Mach 1
We raced from around 60-150mph, I wanted to start a little higher to avoid any traction issues. After the intial hit the Z started pulling 3/4 of a car to a full car, my 3.55s gears killed me ( I have a viper spec t56 with 2.97 which makes it even worse), if the video gets uploaded you guys can clearly see the difference of when I am in the powerband. The second I hit 5000rpm I started creeping up and in 4th pulled ahead up top. But dam those C6 Z06s move out, awesome car and nice owner as well.

Great races all around and a great day, one of the best Ive had to be honest. I still have to dial the car in yet, needs more tuning, need to fix the belt issues, etc. Going into the build I didnt know the Mach 1 would make the power it did on only 12psi, I guess my Mach 1 is the experiment for the new F1-D blower Im the only guy running it on a Mach 1 so far so Im going into new territory. Instead of the 8 rib kit, I am now leaning torwards the house of boost renegade system, Im pretty sure this would make my belt slip/breakage a thing of the past. The car is easily good for 700whp-750whp, so hopefully with this setup I can turn up the boost and take the thing to the track 10s maybe even high 9s down the road.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:30 PM

Thanks guys, I'm definitely happy with the nitrous kit so far. Can't wait to crank it up some time. I know that before the heads I hit it with a 125 shot on occassion and it made a noticeable difference in races. Once I get the FAST intake on there and hit it with a 150 shot it should really fly. Also, I think I'm going to have to put suspension on the to-do list based off the second race with the Z06.

Originally Posted by BlwnMach1
ScreaminRedZ has a strong running car for sure. I know hes run 11.5 all motor ( correct me if I am wrong ) so I know its solid 10 sec car with spray. My goal was to have a consistent 10 second Mach 1 and lower once I get it dialed in so far it seems like I am on track.
My best so far is 11.63 on motor, but I'm hoping to shave another tenth or two off it. With a better set of tires I think you have a good chance of cracking your 10 second goal. The new gears should definitely get you there consistently. We'll all have to hit up LVD on a rental because I have the feeling they'll be asking us to leave on a regular track day

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 07-19-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for sharing!! sounds like yall had a blast!!
Old 07-19-2010, 09:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlwnMach1
Definately some awesome runs for one of the first nights I've had the Mach 1 out. After a 10 month build its nice to see things finally starting to take shape.

Race 1- ScreaminRedZ vs 04 Mach 1
Great race, was happy to be able to line up with ScreaminRedZ after trying for a couple weekends. Overall I was pretty happy with the results, 2nd gear hit from around 45mph to 110mph or so, with me slightly pulling up top. A little spinning at first but nothing major, Ive had some belt slip issues ( been through 2 6 rib belts in 400miles and alignment is spot on) but I dont think it was any deciding factor. I dont think we could have asked for better shifts or driving.

Race 2- ScreaminRedZ vs 04 Mach 1
As ScreaminRed Z said before, basically the same result with me pulling a little up top. We got up to around 120mph this time, would have been interesting to see what would happen if we had another 15-20miles an hour. ScreaminRedZ has a strong running car for sure. I know hes run 11.5 all motor ( correct me if I am wrong ) so I know its solid 10 sec car with spray. My goal was to have a consistent 10 second Mach 1 and lower once I get it dialed in so far it seems like I am on track.

Race 3- C6 Z06 vs 04 Mach 1
We raced from around 60-150mph, I wanted to start a little higher to avoid any traction issues. After the intial hit the Z started pulling 3/4 of a car to a full car, my 3.55s gears killed me ( I have a viper spec t56 with 2.97 which makes it even worse), if the video gets uploaded you guys can clearly see the difference of when I am in the powerband. The second I hit 5000rpm I started creeping up and in 4th pulled ahead up top. But dam those C6 Z06s move out, awesome car and nice owner as well.

Great races all around and a great day, one of the best Ive had to be honest. I still have to dial the car in yet, needs more tuning, need to fix the belt issues, etc. Going into the build I didnt know the Mach 1 would make the power it did on only 12psi, I guess my Mach 1 is the experiment for the new F1-D blower Im the only guy running it on a Mach 1 so far so Im going into new territory. Instead of the 8 rib kit, I am now leaning torwards the house of boost renegade system, Im pretty sure this would make my belt slip/breakage a thing of the past. The car is easily good for 700whp-750whp, so hopefully with this setup I can turn up the boost and take the thing to the track 10s maybe even high 9s down the road.
Nice runs guys that ZO6 is bad azz.

Blown Mach is your rear built? If it is 31 spline and a good diff I would probably trade you rear for rear. I have 4.10's moser 31 spline axles and a eaton diff. I am running through the traps at 7000 rpm now and can't fit a much taller tire in there.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sweet runs! And damn that C6Z flies! Those cars are amazing. True showroom supercar. It would be my dream to own one someday. Your car is def a screamer too SRZ. I miss my LS1 car so bad but hopefully the feeling will be back when mine is done someday.

Anyways, can't wait to see those other vids when you get them up.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Newskool Mach
Nice runs guys that ZO6 is bad azz.

Blown Mach is your rear built? If it is 31 spline and a good diff I would probably trade you rear for rear. I have 4.10's moser 31 spline axles and a eaton diff. I am running through the traps at 7000 rpm now and can't fit a much taller tire in there.
Are you still running the tremec 3650 or do you have a t56? Thats exactly whats going into my car in a week or two along with the new belt setup, eaton diff, 31 spline axles, bearing kit etc, how do you like the 4.10s?

I had gone back and forth with the idea of putting them in but with the 2.97 t56 my gears are just way to long with a centrifugal blower, I see a lot of guys even running 700whp+ using the 4.10s with the same combo.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice!

vids of ported cobra vs z06 should be next
Old 07-19-2010, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome runs! Love the C6 Z, especially in black, great vids too
Old 07-19-2010, 11:20 PM

Amazing races!