Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2002 Z28, Heads/Cam/100 Shot vs 1986 Grand National, 72mm Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 01:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love those cars I always have....nice video!!!!
Old 08-02-2010, 02:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hes gotta have at least a 3" downpipe on the car or the turbo wouldnt spool at all. He needs to run an open dump directly off the downpipe. Its amazing how much difference a GN will run off a dump instead of through the mufflers.

BTW GN's known for making huge HP numbers, my brother made 400rwhp and almost 600lb ft of torque on 23 pounds through a 57mm turbo. Saying this guy is making 700 is a bit much IMO. I do know one thing, once he learns how to drive it and can hook decent from a dig, they are one of the fastest cars from a dig youll ever see on the street.

Nice runs OP, car did well especially the last race. Im actually suprised the GN did so well against you from a roll.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
He paid around 16K, which alot of people think was too high, but it's a 36K mile car that was repainted in the early 90's and the paint is immaculate, and runs like you saw in the videos. Seems like a good deal to me!
yea thats about what I usually see them going for.. I was hoping mods would knock the value down a bit compared to the collector quality ones.. a GN is the next toy I want to buy..I might have to settle for a clone tho
imagine how an '89 TT GTA would run w/ those mods I know those cars will never be priced at some thing I would settle for..maybe I'll hafta clone one of those!
Old 08-02-2010, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Hes gotta have at least a 3" downpipe on the car or the turbo wouldnt spool at all. He needs to run an open dump directly off the downpipe. Its amazing how much difference a GN will run off a dump instead of through the mufflers.

Nice runs OP, car did well especially the last race. Im actually suprised the GN did so well against you from a roll.
Yeah, the fact that it's running that well already and that there is alot more potential in the setup is crazy.

I honestly never expected it to do so well from a roll either. After the motor runs, we lined up for the first nitrous race and PSM yells out the window to him, "Now we're gonna spray your ***, bitch!" and my friend gets this big grin on his face. Then he proceeds to walk me and all I could do was laugh. Now I'm gonna have to get that FAST intake on the car and fix the fuel issues so I can try it again on the 125 shot

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
yea thats about what I usually see them going for.. I was hoping mods would knock the value down a bit compared to the collector quality ones.. a GN is the next toy I want to buy..I might have to settle for a clone tho
imagine how an '89 TT GTA would run w/ those mods I know those cars will never be priced at some thing I would settle for..maybe I'll hafta clone one of those!
I would love a TTA and almost bought one, but the guy lied about the car and when we got there we found this hack job with a bent subframe. I would imagine that those cars would be a car or two faster than a GN with idential mods due to weight and aerodynamics.

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 08-02-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:55 AM
TECH Resident

Wow Ron, that sucker moves - great race. nice lookin cars too - i loved the smoke show in the dig
Old 08-02-2010, 08:05 AM

Thanks, those races were a long time in the making! I'm the guy who would be out racing everything in my new car before I got it home (we lined up the LT1 and my G8 about 20 minutes after I got the G8 and it had 12 miles on it), but my friend is smarter about it and wanted to go over the car before killing it.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I honestly never expected it to do so well from a roll either. After the motor runs, we lined up for the first nitrous race and PSM yells out the window to him, "Now we're gonna spray your ***, bitch!" and my friend gets this big grin on his face. Then he proceeds to walk me and all I could do was laugh. Now I'm gonna have to get that FAST intake on the car and fix the fuel issues so I can try it again on the 125 shot
Nothing beats trash talkin from the passenger seat and then losing the race!
Old 08-02-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Seriously, nice thread! I'm starting to forward for another race thread from you guys, great quality video and full of useful info....

GN is nasty! But about the sound.... what does one expect from a V-6 and nothing like the Inline stuff out of toyota or nissan.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:00 PM

Thanks! We'll try to keep them coming. There definitely more races and rematches in the cards and I plan on using an entire bottle getting some good runs with PSM on the bike. We pretty much know what will happen at this point, but we've never gotten it on film.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by obZidian
Seriously, nice thread! I'm starting to forward for another race thread from you guys, great quality video and full of useful info....

GN is nasty! But about the sound.... what does one expect from a V-6 and nothing like the Inline stuff out of toyota or nissan.
I prefer an open dump on the GN's, something nasty sounding like my brothers that dumps right under the passenger door. Excuse the *** whooping i took in the vid haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LjqXkH3O5g
Old 08-02-2010, 06:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I kind of agree with sticks and stones on this. He looks wlike he is making WAY more power than you on those vids, not equal power. I know my SRT4 with a 50mm and about the same amount of boost would have been in the 450-475 range. I cant see a way bigger turbo and 2 more cylinders only making about 50 more hp, especailly considering my SRT4 only made 375 on 21.5 psi and would have made 450 plus on 28 psi, only 6.5 pounds more.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

Like was mentioned before the GN is on a conservative tune and 2.5" exhaust. Do some tweaking with the tune and upgrade to 3" exhaust or run a dump and you should be looking at 40+ hp. I didnt see it but is he still on a stock converter??
Old 08-02-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Trav's_TransAm
Like was mentioned before the GN is on a conservative tune and 2.5" exhaust. Do some tweaking with the tune and upgrade to 3" exhaust or run a dump and you should be looking at 40+ hp. I didnt see it but is he still on a stock converter??
I doubt hes on a stock converter or that turbo would be sluggish. Although you can runa astock stall in the GN's with billet turbos up to 60 some mm without a problem. My brother has pulled 1.5x 60' on a stock converter and footbrake.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:51 AM

I'll grab a picture of the dyno sheet some time and post it up. Like I said, he was on 26 psi on the dyno making 510 rwhp and he said it was making 27-28 psi in these races, so I wouldn't be suprised if he was in the 550 rwhp range.

The converter isn't stock, but I think it's geared more towards the track than the street. That might be changed out at some point since he drives it alot.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brothers friend with the 700rwhp GNX is a member of the 7/11 club, formerly known as "Western Washington Supra Slayers" club. 7/11 means they have members that run from 7 seconds to 11 seconds, and all can drive down to the local 7/11 store- or something like that.

See at least 1 or 2 of them at every carshow i go too up here. Know how to spot a fast one? look for the rear wheel studs. Thats about the only way to tell with those things.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
I kind of agree with sticks and stones on this. He looks wlike he is making WAY more power than you on those vids, not equal power. I know my SRT4 with a 50mm and about the same amount of boost would have been in the 450-475 range. I cant see a way bigger turbo and 2 more cylinders only making about 50 more hp, especailly considering my SRT4 only made 375 on 21.5 psi and would have made 450 plus on 28 psi, only 6.5 pounds more.
Stick that SRT-4 motor in a RWD car with a built automatic trans, a stall, and a built rear and watch how much the power drops.

Like we already said, this GN is not exactly tweaked at the moment for maximum hp numbers and was probably making a bit higher than what his dyno sheet showed anyways since he was getting one to two more psi out of it on the street in these races. Don't get so hung up on the dyno numbers.

You can also see that up top in the last roll race, SRZ basically stopped the pull before they let off, which means there's a good chance that peak hp numbers are similar considering the weight was probably pretty close (passenger in the GN).
Old 08-03-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sick races, the dig race with the GN was just priceless.
Even though he lost it was amazing to see !
Old 08-03-2010, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll grab a picture of the dyno sheet some time and post it up. Like I said, he was on 26 psi on the dyno making 510 rwhp and he said it was making 27-28 psi in these races, so I wouldn't be suprised if he was in the 550 rwhp range.

The converter isn't stock, but I think it's geared more towards the track than the street. That might be changed out at some point since he drives it alot.
I bet hes making 650+rwtq the way it sits. They dont take much stall like LSX's hes prolly got a 3000 or 3200 stall max in that car.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

I wish Buick would follow Cadillacs lead and use a LS in a bad *** new Grand National.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Goats
I wish Buick would follow Cadillacs lead and use a LS in a bad *** new Grand National.
No way, GN's should always be Turbo 6s